PDA

View Full Version : K-State quarterback Freeman has trouble passing conditioning test

alanm
08-05-2007, 09:08 AM
Posted on Sat, Aug. 04, 2007

K-State quarterback Freeman has trouble passing conditioning test
By HOWARD RICHMAN
The Kansas City Star
K-State coach Ron Prince isn’t happy that quarterback Josh Freeman hasn’t passed the conditioning test.

MANHATTAN, Kan. | At least Kansas State sophomore quarterback Josh Freeman is closer to his desired playing weight. Otherwise, he has a feeling that all he is right now to some of his teammates is dead weight.

“I’m in the doghouse, so to speak,” Freeman said Saturday at Fan Appreciation/Media Day at Bill Snyder Family Stadium.

Freeman twice has failed the precamp conditioning test that consists of three 300-yard shuttles that he has to do in 50 seconds each. Freeman said he got the first two in the required time Saturday, but not the last.

What that means: Freeman is not cleared to practice until he passes, so it’s at two practices and counting that he has missed as K-State marches toward its season opener Sept. 1 at Auburn.

“I’m not happy about Josh not passing the test,” Wildcats coach Ron Prince said. “We’ve had plenty of time here to train. It’s a performance business, and we all understand that.”

The 6-foot-6 Freeman, who started the final eight games in 2006 and led K-State to the Texas Bowl, is fluctuating between 245 pounds and 249 pounds after tipping the scale this summer at a high of 265.

“If I hadn’t been working out all summer and just sitting around putting on bad weight, it would be a concern,” he said, “but I came in (to practice, which started Friday) in what I felt was fairly good shape. I really can’t make any excuses.”

Redshirt freshman quarterback Carson Coffman, one of Freeman’s best friends, said Freeman’s fears came true.

“He’s been worried about it (conditioning test) all summer,” Coffman said. “I think in his mind, he didn’t think he could pass it. But he’s the man. He’ll be fine.”

Freeman heads the list of six players still on the physically-unable-to-perform list. The others are center Jordan Bedore, defensive lineman Vlad Faustin, offensive linemen Brad Rooker and Brock Unruh and quarterback Caleb Smith.

•Two key players are not with K-State. One should be. The other probably won’t.

Junior-college transfer wide receiver Deon Murphy continues to finish his summer academics and should join the program at some point, Prince said. But juco offensive lineman Eldridge Sims doesn’t appear to be coming. Prince did not disclose why.

K-State did add an offensive lineman late. Junior Eric Benoit (6-4, 306) comes from Compton (Calif.) College.

•Something about this team reminds senior defensive back Marcus Watts about K-State’s last taste of glory.

“This team feels a lot like the 2003 team starting out during camp and in the summer,” Watts said. “Guys have been here for workouts, guys worked hard, we’ve gotten stronger and we’re a cohesive team. I feel this team is similar in aspects like that to that team, and I hope the result is the same.”

K-State won the Big 12 title in 2003.

•K-State’s new jerseys get a thumbs-up from senior defensive end Rob Jackson.

They have KSTATE in small block letters above the chest numeral, and numbers on the sleeve instead of the shoulder like in 2006. Also, they’re a tighter fit, something Jackson likes.

“They’re a little heavier, but they make us harder to grab,” Jackson said.

•Sophomore running back Leon Patton made it after all.

Summer rumblings about his status with the program were answered Saturday. Patton says he has taken care of his academic issues and is ready to challenge senior James Johnson for the starting role.

“I learned I have to take care of my business. If something needs to get done, I’ve got to do it,” Patton said.

•Harrisonville’s Zach Kendall, a redshirt freshman who suffered a preseason knee injury in 2006 and missed the entire season, has been moved from defensive tackle to center.

To reach Howard Richman, Kansas State reporter for The Star, send e-mail to hrichman@kcstar.com

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/219023.html

Heh. :evil:

alanm
08-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Aren't you guys the least bit worried about his commitment?

Bugeater
08-05-2007, 09:56 AM
No, it doesn't worry me one bit... :)

Saulbadguy
08-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Why should we worry? He already sent you guys a text message saying he is not coming.

Skip Towne
08-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Saul will be along with some lame excuse.

WilliamTheIrish
08-05-2007, 11:28 AM

No. Anything else?

Braincase
08-05-2007, 11:33 AM
A liitle too much perhaps?

Buehler445
08-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Wow. Thats a bad sign for the Wildcat fans.

WilliamTheIrish
08-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Wow. Thats a bad sign for the Wildcat fans.

Yeah. Terrible break. I'll bet he doesn't play the whole year.

Skip Towne
08-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Prince is another Doug Weaver.

Buehler445
08-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Yeah. Terrible break. I'll bet he doesn't play the whole year.

We'll see. I bet if he comes around, he'll play. I dont think Prince is the hard ass Snyder was.

WilliamTheIrish
08-05-2007, 12:01 PM
We'll see. I bet if he comes around, he'll play. I dont think Prince is the hard ass Snyder was.

No way.

WilliamTheIrish
08-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Prince is another Doug Weaver.

Weaver beat a top 5 team? In his first season?

Skip Towne
08-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Weaver beat a top 5 team? In his first season?
Those were Snyders players. Plus it was a fluke.

WilliamTheIrish
08-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Those were Snyders players. Plus it was a fluke.

Josh Freeman and Leon Patton were Snyder players?

I looked it up in the record book. No mention of fluke. Just a W.

alanm
08-05-2007, 12:26 PM
No. Anything else?
Nah... I was just wondering. I guess he'll be more of a stationary target this year then? :evil:

WilliamTheIrish
08-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Nah... I was just wondering. I guess he'll be more of a stationary target this year then? :evil:

Depends on the OLine.

Sam Hall
08-05-2007, 12:52 PM
:ZZZ:

WilliamTheIrish
08-05-2007, 01:11 PM
No pictures Sam?

Saulbadguy
08-05-2007, 01:14 PM
No pictures Sam?
Beautiful.

WilliamTheIrish
08-05-2007, 01:18 PM
I noticed recently that Sam has learned how attach pics. It's been kind of cute. Like a toddler discovering crayons.

Sam Hall
08-05-2007, 02:44 PM
I noticed recently that Sam has learned how attach pics. It's been kind of cute. Like a toddler discovering crayons.

:ZZZ:

WilliamTheIrish
08-05-2007, 02:51 PM
That's two snoozers in a row Sam. Perhaps you should take some time off then come back.

Actually, I take back those last three words.

Sam Hall
08-05-2007, 02:52 PM
That's two snoozers in a row Sam. Perhaps you should take some time off then come back.

Actually, I take back those last three words.

There's no reason to care about that story.

Saulbadguy
08-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Agreed.

Skip Towne
08-05-2007, 03:06 PM
We just have to take every opportunity to slap around William and Saul. We listened to a whole lot of their crap about Huggins.

WilliamTheIrish
08-05-2007, 03:10 PM

Of course there is. alanm is telling me it's a huge scoop. And if I can't trust alanm......

Sam Hall
08-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Of course there is. alanm is telling me it's a huge scoop. And if I can't trust alanm......

I don't know about him, but I'm not worried about Kansas State.

Coach
08-05-2007, 03:18 PM
I don't know about him, but I'm not worried about Kansas State.

That'd be a mistake....

Sam Hall
08-05-2007, 03:26 PM
That'd be a mistake....

There are two teams in the North this year: Nebraska and Missouri. Talk to me when the other North teams start recruiting like Nebraska.

WilliamTheIrish
08-05-2007, 03:31 PM
We just have to take every opportunity to slap around William and Saul. We listened to a whole lot of their crap about Huggins.

I love the board dynamics that come in to play every so often. For instance, in this thread we have skip, a noted hater of the huskers and their fans, actually trying to play off them. Normally skip is just your usual okie, trying to decide which Looney Tunes character shirt to wear, eating peanut butter, gummy worm and deer jerkey sandwiches, while fishing cable through the master's attic and masturbating to infomercials when the master is away.

But on this board, today, skip is somebody.

ChiefaRoo
08-05-2007, 06:12 PM
I love the board dynamics that come in to play every so often. For instance, in this thread we have skip, a noted hater of the huskers and their fans, actually trying to play off them. Normally skip is just your usual okie, trying to decide which Looney Tunes character shirt to wear, eating peanut butter, gummy worm and deer jerkey sandwiches, while fishing cable through the master's attic and masturbating to infomercials when the master is away.

But on this board, today, skip is somebody.

REP! Bill puts a dart right into skips neck.

ChiefaRoo
08-05-2007, 06:15 PM
There are two teams in the North this year: Nebraska and Missouri. Talk to me when the other North teams start recruiting like Nebraska.

Neb. has an awful coach. By the way Sam do you have any kitty pics dressed in husker gear to share?

alanm
08-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Didn't say it was huge. I thought it was comical though. :)

Sam Hall
08-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Neb. has an awful coach. By the way Sam do you have any kitty pics dressed in husker gear to share?

When was the last time I posted a cat pic?

Bugeater
08-05-2007, 07:43 PM
I do.

http://www.hothuskers.com/img/hottie.jpg

ChiefaRoo
08-05-2007, 08:09 PM
I do.

http://www.hothuskers.com/img/hottie.jpg

Well done.:)

Eleazar
08-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Is this guy part of the GRCOAT?

Sam Hall
08-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Is it about the team or the individual this year? And shouldn't the shadow of the individual be a little wider? Btw, Freeman passed the test on his second try.

leviw
08-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Is it about the team or the individual this year? And shouldn't the shadow of the individual be a little wider? Btw, Freeman passed the test on his second try.

Actually it was his third.

Regardless, it's stupid.

WilliamTheIrish
08-07-2007, 05:38 PM
levi, how ya been?

leviw
08-07-2007, 05:40 PM
levi, how ya been?

Fantastic. You? Ready for the Cats?

WilliamTheIrish
08-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Fantastic. You? Ready for the Cats?

I'm ready for the Power Of One Ton!!!!

leviw
08-07-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm ready for the Power Of One Ton!!!!

Bulge & Daring?

WilliamTheIrish
08-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Bulge & Daring?

Ha!

Skip Towne
08-07-2007, 06:52 PM
K-State sucks! There! Now I'm important again.

Coach
08-07-2007, 06:58 PM
K-State sucks! There! Now I'm important again.

Heh. Enjoy sharing the cellar with Iowa State.

Saulbadguy
08-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Is this guy part of the GRCOAT?
GRCOAT! :thumb:

WilliamTheIrish
08-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Now I'm impotent again.

I've never heard a man celebrate his dysfunction so proudly. Good for you, skip.

Buehler445
08-07-2007, 10:04 PM

HAHA Did you photoshop that picture?

Sam Hall
08-07-2007, 10:06 PM
HAHA Did you photoshop that picture?

I almost went with a jelly donut.