PDA

View Full Version : Chargers overrated?

jjchieffan
08-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Am I the only one who thinks the Chargers are way overrated this year? Every site on the net, it seems like, has rhem as at least a top 5 team, despite the fact that they have an entirely new coaching staff, headed up by Norv Tuener. A coach who has done nothing as a head coach. Granted, the chargers have a very talented team, but Turner had plenty of talent available in washington, and he did nothing with it there. Plus, we all know how good Marty Schottenheimer was as a regular season coach. His teams always overachieved. You could add 2-3 wins at least to a teams total just by making him head coach. I say the offense, which is already Turners system, will do fine, but I just cant see the defense being as good. Heck they might turn into aa Dick Vermeil, all offense, no defense team.

Direckshun
08-05-2007, 11:24 AM
I don't think their offense is overrated; it's a mirror image of the 2003 Chiefs.

Their defense, yeah I think so. Their defensive line is one of the most vicious in the league, and their outside LBs are as well, but they're working with a downgraded pair of interior LBs IMO and their secondary is full of pretty decent guys.

I don't think they're a top five defense anymore with the downgrade they suffered at LB, but Merriman, Phillips, and that dangerous DL make them a sure-fire top 10, at least.

Easy 6
08-05-2007, 11:25 AM
They will probably hit some bumps early on with the new coaching staff getting up to speed...but this is still a very dangerous team.

Our 2 games with'em will still be brutal affairs.

Mecca
08-05-2007, 11:27 AM
I don't think their offense is overrated; it's a mirror image of the 2003 Chiefs.

Their defense, yeah I think so. Their defensive line is one of the most vicious in the league, and their outside LBs are as well, but they're working with a downgraded pair of interior LBs IMO and their secondary is full of pretty decent guys.

I don't think they're a top five defense anymore with the downgrade they suffered at LB, but Merriman, Phillips, and that dangerous DL make them a sure-fire top 10, at least.

Just the fact that they have real players on their D makes them not a mirror image of the Chiefs of 2003.....

Talent wise the Chargers are a top 3 team.....they probably deserve to be ranked top 5 going into the season.

Direckshun
08-05-2007, 11:27 AM
They will probably hit some bumps early on with the new coaching staff getting up to speed...but this is still a very dangerous team.

Our 2 games with'em will still be brutal affairs.
I think we outplayed them last year, to be honest, and we've upgraded this year. We usually play out of our minds when we play this upgraded Chargers team.

We won the first game, of course, and save a freakish punt block, Bell simply falling down like an idiot to allow LT to run for a 90-yard TD, and a Green pass that goes off Tony G's fingers in the endzone, and there's a good chance the Chiefs get the sweep.

blueballs
08-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Got to get that stadium built
or move them to LA

Direckshun
Just the fact that they have real players on their D makes them not a mirror image of the Chiefs of 2003.....

Talent wise the Chargers are a top 3 team.....they probably deserve to be ranked top 5 going into the season.
I was talking about their offense, dingus.

I think the Chargers should be considered the #2 team right behind the Pats.

Mecca
Playing the what if game with the Chiefs against good teams on the road is an every year thing.....that's just the Chiefs on the road they **** up and lose.

Easy 6
08-05-2007, 11:30 AM
I think we outplayed them last year, to be honest, and we've upgraded this year. We usually play out of our minds when we play this upgraded Chargers team.

We won the first game, of course, and save a freakish punt block, Bell simply falling down like an idiot to allow LT to run for a 90-yard TD, and a Green pass that goes off Tony G's fingers in the endzone, and there's a good chance the Chiefs get the sweep.

Oh i totally agree that we always play well against them, but in my mind they have overtaken Dinbeer as the team in the AFCW that gives us the toughest test.

Direckshun
08-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Playing the what if game with the Chiefs against good teams on the road is an every year thing.....that's just the Chiefs on the road they **** up and lose.
I think we know why that is.

1. The Chiefs have been filled with soft, babied bitche.
2. The Chiefs have been dependent on offense the past few years, and it's incredibly hard to "out-offense" a good home team.

Herm's a great answer to both problems, especially if he can somehow figure out an offense.

the Talking Can
08-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Am I the only one who thinks the Chargers are way overrated this year? Every site on the net, it seems like, has rhem as at least a top 5 team, despite the fact that they have an entirely new coaching staff, headed up by Norv Tuener. A coach who has done nothing as a head coach. Granted, the chargers have a very talented team, but Turner had plenty of talent available in washington, and he did nothing with it there. Plus, we all know how good Marty Schottenheimer was as a regular season coach. His teams always overachieved. You could add 2-3 wins at least to a teams total just by making him head coach. I say the offense, which is already Turners system, will do fine, but I just cant see the defense being as good. Heck they might turn into aa Dick Vermeil, all offense, no defense team.

no, they're not overrated....but their coach does suck

JimNasium
08-05-2007, 11:36 AM
The new coaching staff issue is somewhat negated by the fact that the offensive scheme is basically the same. That being said I do believe that they will struggle to win the West and will not go deep in the playoffs.

FAX
08-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Make no mistake, Mr. jjchieffan, the Chargers are stacked with talent. It would take an amazingly fatheaded, feebleminded, fool of a coach to screw them up.

We're in luck.

FAX

KC Jones
08-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Make no mistake, Mr. jjchieffan, the Chargers are stacked with talent. It would take an amazingly fatheaded, feebleminded, fool of a coach to screw them up.

We're in luck.

FAX

ROFL

I hope your right, but as crappy a coach as Turner is I still don't see him being able to mess this up enough to not win the West in his first year. Too much talent on board. In a year or two we should see the fruit of the Turner decision come fully ripe.

milkman
08-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Every time I read a post suggesting the Chargers are overrated I get this image of a little boy with his hands over his ears yelling "La,la,la, la, I can't hear you".

Skip Towne
08-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Just like K-State, they'll do alright for a year or two with the previous coach's talent onboard. Then they'll crash and burn.

RealSNR
08-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Their coach sucks, but there's too much talent on that team to not do well this season. I'd give them a 90% chance of taking home the AFCW title again and being a strong contender in the playoffs. Probably around 10-12 wins during the regular season.

Buck
08-05-2007, 01:57 PM
You dont think the Chargers are a top 5 team going into the season?

I can think of only 2 teams, and at most 4 who could possibly be above the Chargers.

1.Indy
2.New England
3.Broncos (maybe)
4.Saints (maybe)

I cant reasonably put the Chargers behind the Broncos or Saints, but I would understand if somehow someone did.

Brock
08-05-2007, 02:14 PM
I don't know about overrated, but it's going to be tough for them to rebound from the colossal disaster of last year.

penguinz
08-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Very overrated this season. They have good talent but they lack the coaching.

Brock
08-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Also a completely new coaching staff doesn't help.

RustShack
08-05-2007, 02:27 PM
They will still be good, don't get me wrong, but they wont be as good as they were last year. They lost pretty much thier whole coaching staff and that is going to hurt them alot.

sd4chiefs
08-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Got to get that stadium built
or move them to LA

As far as I know they are making zero progress in finding a city in San Diego County that will build the new stadium. They are talking to Oceanside and Chula Vista but there has been no knew developments in months. Their old stadium is starting to fall apart. I would bet that after this season is over the Chargers are going to start talking to other citys outside of the San Diego area and even outside the SoCal area. That would really suck for all the bandwagoning Charger Fans.

I have a bad feeling that the Chargers are going to kick ass and the Chiefs are going to get their ass kicked. I hope that I am wrong.

caffeinated_virus
08-05-2007, 03:33 PM
We are no overrated. :harumph:

In all seriousness, I understand the questions about our coaching staff. I have my own concerns as well. However, as someone posted earlier, we are loaded with talent on both sides of the ball, so it will be interesting to see what the coaches do to change things around and make us better.

Offensively, Norv Turner is already helping Rivers tremendously. Nobody questions Turners ability as a OC or developing young QB's, which is definitely helping Rivers. I think our offense is going to be top 3 with what we have.

We have a LOT of talent on offense. I have been fortunate to attend quite a few TC practices and we really are stacked. Our #1 pick, Craig Davis is really putting on a show and will likely start opposite Vincent Jackson. Davis has really impressed me with his quickness, ability to get open, fight off jams and catch the ball. He probabl has the best hands on the team or tied with Gates.

Rivers has been very sharp and accurate all through TC.
LT and Turner are a awesome 1, 2 punch at RB.
Gates, its Gates.

I think we are going to see the passing game opened up much more this year.

Our OL is intact. All the starters are returning. Dielman was crucial for us and we are extremely happy he is back.

Defense will have some questions. We have 2 new ILB. However, both have shown well lately.

Lots of competition at DB. Cromartie, our #1 draft pick last year has been lights out in TC so far, where he just dominates at times. Still young and raw, but the skill is their.

Secondary is our biggest question mark IMHO. Time will tell.

Look forward to our games this year. Should be very tough, hard fought battles.

Cheers.