PDA

View Full Version : camp postcard from peter king....

crazycoffey
08-05-2007, 10:32 PM
hot off the press.....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/08/05/chiefs.postcard/index.html

Training Camp Postcards: Chiefs

Posted: Monday August 6, 2007 12:11AM; Updated: Monday August 6, 2007 12:11AM

Where's Peter

http://i.cnn.net/si/images/1.gifPostcards From Camphttp://i.cnn.net/si/images/football/nfl/logos/170x60/logo_chiefs_170x60.gifKansas City ChiefsRiver Falls, Wisc. | Aug. 5, 2007http://i.a.cnn.net/si/.element/img/2.0/main/hotlinks_arrow.gifMore Postcards From Camp (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/specials/preview/2007/07/30/postcards.camp.archive/index.html)http://i.cnn.net/si/images/1.gifhttp://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/peter_king/08/05/chiefs.postcard/p1_croyle-ap.jpg
Brodie Croyle takes over the Chiefs offense, but he hasn't shown much in camp.
AP

In River Falls, Wisc., summer home of the Chiefs ... but for how long? The Chiefs are making noise that they may become another one of those teams that gives up camp life to work year-round at its home training facility. I'll campaign against that vigorously. Anything that gets teams to be able to touch their fans more, I'm for. And in River Falls (pop.: 12,000), a university town in western Wisconsin, you can buddy-up with the Chiefs pretty regularly.Five Things I Think

1. I think the jury will be out on prospective starting quarterback Brodie Croyle until we see him manage a game under duress. Watched him tonight in a scrimmage against the Vikes, and he was unimpressive. That and $3.49 will get you a triple grande hazelnut latte.2. I think it's never a very good idea to have two teams face each other two nights in a row in scrimmages ... particularly when they have to bus two hours each way to do so. The Chiefs and Vikes got very chippy in the scrimmage tonight, with three separate fights breaking out, the last involving Kyle Turley, trying to win a job as the Chiefs' starting right tackle. The scrimmage was kiboshed 45 minutes early.3. I think it's pretty interesting to note that the two corners, vets who didn't wholeheartedly jump on the Herman Edwards bandwagon last year, have come to camp hungry to play great. It shows in their weight. Patrick Surtain lost 12 pounds over last year's weight; Ty Law dropped 15. The coach is thrilled with both.4. I think the Chiefs are rapidly falling in love with last year's second-round pick, safety Bernard Pollard. He blocked three punts last year and was probably the special teams player of the year in the NFL. This year, he'll have to lose the starting strong safety job in camp, but the team still plans to keep him on a few kicking teams because he's so good.5. I think the Chiefs have the toughest opening quarter and closing quarter, combined, of any schedule in football. They open with three of four on the road (at Houston, at Chicago, Minnesota, at San Diego) and close with three of four on the road (at Denver, Tennessee, at Detroit, at the Jets). Eat your Wheaties this summer, men.Did You Know?

Never know what you're going to learn from reading media guides. And the 552-page Chiefs guide has some real gems. My favorite bizarro note of the guide, in the bio for veteran linebacker Donnie Edwards: "While vacationing in Rome in 2005 [he] was present at the Vatican when the white smoke was released from the Sistine Chapel's chimney announcing to the world that Pope Benedict XVI had been chosen to succeed Pope John Paul II.''On the Menu

Didn't chow down at the Chiefs' mess hall in the new $36-million student center at UW-River Falls. Sorry to disappoint. I did have quite a fine walleye sandwich at one of the local eateries, and if I'd been paying attention to the name, I'd tip you off on it and recommend it highly.Camp Confidential

"We're not too worried about the Larry Johnson situation, but you obviously have to pay it some sort of mind,'' defensive end Tamba Hali said this afternoon, on a misty, rain-spitting day on the campus of UW-River Falls. "The way I look at it is Herm's not very worried about it, and if he's not worried about it, then I'm not.'' The Chiefs think Johnson, holding out in a contract dispute, will be in before the first game. Here's the thing to remember about Johnson, who, in 2005 and 2006, has more touches over a two-year span (826) than any running back in NFL history: He doesn't need camp. In some ways, it's almost better than he doesn't come to camp. For him to survive another year (if indeed he comes to camp), he needs to be very fresh on Labor Day.Camp sages say this is the best summer Michael Bennett has ever had, at least early on. Bennett, the former Viking and Saint, has played a full season only twice in a six-year career. But he impressed in limited duty last year (36 carries, 5.6 yards per carry) and Edwards plans to run him more this year anyway, even if Johnson returns. The star of camp in the first week was Kolby Smith, who played some fullback then mostly backed up Michael Bush until Bush broke his leg last year.So the depth at running back is good. Now the Chiefs have to trust that the rebuilt offensive line, once a staple of stability, will hold up now that Willie Roaf and Will Shields have retired within a year of each other. The wisest move Edwards made is moving John Welbourn inside to guard, where he's a better mashing fit than he was last year outside at tackle.

crazycoffey
08-05-2007, 10:38 PM
very BLAH....

for a team not named Eagles, Patriots, Or Jets... guess we're lucky to have him even cover our camp.

Clay, did you get a chance to even see him up there? you probably know what favor I have to ask of you if you do see him....

BigRock
08-05-2007, 10:39 PM
I think it's pretty interesting to note that the two corners, vets who didn't wholeheartedly jump on the Herman Edwards bandwagon last year, have come to camp hungry to play great.
Ty Law didn't jump on Herm's bandwagon? He followed him here.

There's something perfect about the one practice Brodie struggled at being the one Peter King watched and based his entire opinion on.

Phobia
08-05-2007, 10:41 PM
I don't care for King at all, regardless of how he feels about the Chiefs. I read it anyway. Waste of time.

crazycoffey
08-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Ty Law didn't jump on Herm's bandwagon? He followed him here.

There's something perfect about the one practice Brodie struggled at being the one Peter King watched and based his entire opinion on.

well, don't ya know that's all that matters, the King wrote it the way he saw it...

OnTheWarpath15
08-05-2007, 10:42 PM
KEEP ****ING DOUBTING BRODIE CROYLE

crazycoffey
08-05-2007, 10:42 PM
I don't care for King at all, regardless of how he feels about the Chiefs. I read it anyway. Waste of time.

I'll read King's crap articles everyday of the week and twice on sundays, compared to JWhit's "crap" articles....

morphius
08-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Yeah that Law character wasn't on the Herm bandwagon last year, Herm was just the reason he signed here you dumb tool.

OnTheWarpath15
08-05-2007, 10:43 PM
I'll read King's crap articles everyday of the week and twice on sundays, compared to JWhit's "crap" articles....

That's a push in my book.

They're equally bad to me.....

crazycoffey
08-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Yeah that Law character wasn't on the Herm bandwagon last year, Herm was just the reason he signed here you dumb tool.

:LOL:
but at least it wasn't a race issue with Law, you know to play for gunny [/last Jwhit's an idiot reference (ok, maybe not)]

crazycoffey
08-05-2007, 10:46 PM
That's a push in my book.

They're equally bad to me.....

yeah, I can see that, BUT IMO at least King's articles, while uninformed, are based upon a career that follows every team, JWhit doesn't have that excuse....

Frazod
08-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Actually, that was surprisingly non-hateful for a King-written Chiefs article.

King still sucks balls, though.

crazycoffey
08-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Actually, that was surprisingly non-hateful for a King-written Chiefs article.

King still sucks balls, though.

you're exactly right, for King it was refreshing, it was only ignorant and not hateful

Frazod
08-05-2007, 10:59 PM
you're exactly right, for King it was refreshing, it was only ignorant and not hateful
Exactly. :D

Best we can ever hope for from him, unfortunately.

Deberg_1990
08-05-2007, 11:28 PM

He honestly doesnt know jack unless its the Giants, Jets or Pats

crazycoffey
08-05-2007, 11:30 PM

don't forget Philly

greg63
08-05-2007, 11:35 PM
http://i.cnn.net/si/images/1.gifPostcards From Camphttp://i.cnn.net/si/images/football/nfl/logos/170x60/logo_chiefs_170x60.gifKansas City ChiefsRiver Falls, Wisc. | Aug. 5, 2007http://i.a.cnn.net/si/.element/img/2.0/main/hotlinks_arrow.gifMore Postcards From Camp (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/specials/preview/2007/07/30/postcards.camp.archive/index.html)http://i.cnn.net/si/images/1.gifhttp://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/peter_king/08/05/chiefs.postcard/p1_croyle-ap.jpg

What the heck is he doing with his left hand???

crazycoffey
08-05-2007, 11:37 PM
agreeing to meet Hootie's wife for "dinner" :shrug:

greg63
08-05-2007, 11:38 PM
agreeing to meet Hootie's wife for "dinner" :shrug:

LMAO

Makes perfect sense now.

kcchiefsus
08-05-2007, 11:48 PM
That's bullshit. He chose the one night that Croyle didn't impress to write this story. Why couldn't that fatass pick one of the other 7 or 8 days of camp? Peter King is a piece of shit.

chagrin
08-06-2007, 06:00 AM
Just glad he didn't give us more garbage about his softball playiong daughter at tufts - I hate that guy

Dartgod
08-06-2007, 06:57 AM
He was right about one thing, that's for sure.

I think the Chiefs have the toughest opening quarter and closing quarter, combined, of any schedule in football. They open with three of four on the road (at Houston, at Chicago, Minnesota, at San Diego) and close with three of four on the road (at Denver, Tennessee, at Detroit, at the Jets).

Messier
08-06-2007, 07:21 AM
That's bullshit. He chose the one night that Croyle didn't impress to write this story. Why couldn't that fatass pick one of the other 7 or 8 days of camp? Peter King is a piece of shit.

I know, that ticked me off. Didn't he ask around? He probably watched two or three plays and said, Meh.

InChiefsHeaven
08-06-2007, 07:31 AM
Let's hope every one else in the league reads this and concludes that Croyle sucks...

Dave Lane
08-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Let's hope every one else in the league reads this and concludes that Croyle sucks...

Well up to this moment not one of us here or anywhere else has a clue how he will pan out. King is just as likely as me or you to be right.

Dave

InChiefsHeaven
08-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Well up to this moment not one of us here or anywhere else has a clue how he will pan out. King is just as likely as me or you to be right.

Dave

Oh, I agree. I just think Croyle has at least shown more in camp than King reported here. I just hope that everyone takes him lightly. Then there's even less pressure.

...plus, he's gonna like take us to the Superbowl this year baby! YEAAAAHHH!!! :drool:

Brock
08-06-2007, 08:15 AM
King thought Jake Plummer was good.

crazycoffey
08-06-2007, 08:16 AM

Dave

you're right in that no one knows if he'll pan out, but it's frustrating that the national coverage guy is basing his opinion on one night, when IIRC, Cryole was playing with the second team, it was raining and practice was called almost an hour early because of the fighting. It hurts King's credibility, to me, because he hasn't really seen croyle and his opinion in the article is different than the local media's opinions who have been there all camp.

Amnorix
08-06-2007, 08:22 AM

You guys are fotgetting the Colts. He sucks their testicles too. Repeatedly.

Deberg_1990
08-06-2007, 08:28 AM
You guys are fotgetting the Colts. He sucks their testicles too. Repeatedly.

I was more or less implying hes an "East Coast" guy. Not that theres anything wrong with that, he just writes best about those teams because hes knows them the best because of where he lives. Im not sure if he does it on purpose or not? He seems like an Ok guy and all from his columns.... i just dont think he knows much about teams west of the Mississippi because hes not around them all that much.

Its one thing to come to camp for a day or a game or two here or there during the season, its another to actually follow the team on a daily basis day to day...

chief38
08-06-2007, 08:58 AM
It is like he read the KC Star Chiefs articles and then wrote this.