PDA

View Full Version : "Worst and 10."

Direckshun
08-06-2007, 12:24 AM
BroncoTalk is a pretty good Broncos blog and they recently put up a great post (http://www.broncotalk.net/2007/07/worst-and-10-plays-from-2006/) discussing 2006's worst play by the Donks and the ten best.

While I don't have all 17 games by the Chiefs on hand to put up YouTubes of each (anyone want to help?), I can at least describe my Worst and 10 for the 2006 Chiefs.

Worst -- Brian Waters steps on Trent Green's foot.

It was a close call between this play and the Derek Anderson debacle in Cleveland, but this one stands as a symbolism of the Chiefs' playoff implosion. The Chiefs simply couldn't score, and it wasn't because the Colts boasted an unstoppable defense. It was because even though Ty Law and Larry Johnson got the ball to the Colts' own 1, everything that could have gone wrong, did. With LJ primed for a touchdown, Green was simply too slow getting out of his stance, and a swift Brian Waters stepped on him, tripping him up and spoiling any shot for a touchdown.

10. Eddie Kennison's circus catch in week 17.

Like in week 1, Trent scrambled in week 17, got hit by a Jacksonville defender, and was sent out of the game. This time, it was only a couple of plays -- but oh, what plays they were. Huard soared a 35-yard bomb down the sideline to Eddie Kennison, who was blanketed. Kennison never lost stride even though the ball was over thrown, making a ridiculous, juggling, one-handed snag while walking the tightrope.

9. Greg Wesley intercepts Plummer at Invesco.

It wasn't that studly of a play, really; Plummer was backed into his own endzone and hauled out a 20-yarder to a receiver by the sideline. The receiver was blanketed, but it didn't matter, as Wesley swooped in with great speed and plucked the ball out of the air, setting up a KC field goal. It was only week 2, but the difference between this defense and the Chiefs defenses of years prior was stark. Defense had come back to KC.

8. Lawrence Tynes kicking the game winner against San Diego.

Make that two game-winners. With only a handful of seconds left, LJ and Tony G made play after play after play to bring the team barely within field goal range with three seconds left. The game tied with three seconds to go, everything was in Tynes' hands as he kicked a 48-yarder right through the goalposts. Whistle. False start on the Chiefs. Didn't matter, as Tynes canned the 53-yarder as time expired.

7. Tony Gonzalez hauling half the San Diego defense for 40 yards after the catch.

Just send a tape of this play to the HOF voters when Tony's up for induction. Swiftly finding the soft spot in the middle of the defense 15 yards down, Gonzalez received a Huard pass and darted down the field. A couple Chargers grabbed and held onto Gonzalez, but failed to bring him down. Charger after Charger grabbed onto him, trying to wrestle him down and stripping at the ball. Gonzalez dragged them all for 25 yards until they finally, finally brought him down.

6. Larry Johnson’s 70-yard catch-and-run to seal a W in Arizona.

Putting the finishing touches on a scrappy comeback against an upstart Cardinals squad, LJ caught a Huard pass in the flat and proceeded to beat the entire Cardinals defense around the corner as if they were standing absolutely still. LJ was a blur down the sideline as Sammy Parker desperately tryed to block off a cornerback near the endzone. He mostly succeeded; the cornerback's only alternative was to commit a vicious facemask on LJ, twisting his neck and bringing him down inside the 5. LJ would play the very next week.

5. Jarrad Page intercepting Aaron Brooks in the endzone for the win.

Chiefs-Raiders in the 21st century's looked like Kansas-Missouri in college basketball: one clearly superior (Chiefs/Kansas) squad usually having trouble taking down the other. The Raiders gave the Chiefs a scare off a freakish bomb in the final seconds put the Raiders inside the 10 with a chance to FG for a tie, or TD for a win. But on the Raiders' attempt to get in the endzone, Page darted in front of Randy Moss to intercept a poorly thrown pass and kneeled down in the endzone.

4. Larry Johnson "disappears" before Ian Gold's eyes.

In a game where the score is deceiving of the domination that took place, the Chiefs simply manhandled the Broncos on Thanksgiving in Arrowhead. Highlighting the spanking was a play that defies understanding, even after viewing it a hundred times (which I did). Trent handed the ball off the LJ who darted right behind Brian Waters. Waters clears a hole, but immediately filling the gap was Broncos LB Ian Gold. In a move for the ages, LJ graces from his right to left in a single bound, dashing by Gold, who grabbed nothing but thin air.

3. Bernard Pollard blocks a Jacksonville punt and recovers it for a touchdown.

Week 17 in Arrowhead, a situation where no visiting team's won since 1983 it seems. The Chiefs stump Jacksonville's first drive, forcing them to punt within their own 20. Pollard was unable to shed his blocker, so he swiftly dragged the blocker to the punter and threw up an arm, blocking the ball with the back of his hand. Pollard feels contact and spots the ball in the endzone, and from there it's a dead race. As a safety often criticized for speed, he beats the Jaguars to the ball and recovers for a touchdown.

2. Ty Law intercepts Peyton Manning, returning it to the 7.

Manning's worst nightmare, thy name is Law. Covering Harrison on a 5-yard out route, Law keeps himself positioned between Harrison and Manning, standing right in the path of a pass fired his way. Law receives it as if he were the receiver beating Harrison's coverage, intercepting the ball on the Colts' 30, and makes a straight bee-line to the endzone. Harrison eventually brings him down at the seven yard line, putting the Chiefs in prime scoring position.

1. Larry Johnson's incredibly powerful 50-yard plow against the Ravens.

The NFL's #1 defense got the best of the Chiefs this day, but for all their thunder about stopping LJ, they could merely restrain him to 120 yards on the ground. Much of that yardage came on a crucial run play at the Chiefs own 1 yard line. Instead of just burrowing his head and gaining a couple safety yards, LJ exploits a big hole opened by Shields manhandling Suggs. LJ explodes through the hole and flattens the Ravens' All Pro LBs. Eventually a cornerback reaches LJ thirty yards down the field, but LJ pushes him 5 yards backwards. Eventually a couple safeties track him down, but containing LJ had just taken a negative turn for the Ravens.

kcxiv
08-06-2007, 12:29 AM
The worst play i haveto agree with, then when Tynes missed the Field Goal, i knew it wasnt meant to be. lol

tk13
08-06-2007, 12:43 AM
The Tynes FG was the moment I knew we were screwed. I still can't believe he missed that one.

There were so many huge plays in that Jacksonville game, and it ended up meaning so much, you could probably put 4 or 5 from that game alone on there. The play where Ty Law jumped in front of a WR screen for the interception. LJ had a couple huge runs. Kennison made the best catch of his life.

And even at the end, Trent had been totally destroyed twice in that game on sliding plays, had to come out once... after missing half a season because of a play like that... and still, late in the 4th with like 3 minutes to go, it was 3rd and long, in danger of giving them good field position and plenty of time. Trent scrambled and dove into a tackle for a huge first down that broke their D's back. That was guts.

FAX
08-06-2007, 12:58 AM
... as Sammy Parker desperately tryed to block off a cornerback ...

Simmah. Simmah down nah.

FAX

ZootedGranny
08-06-2007, 01:01 AM
Great list.

One of my favorite plays from last year was this LJ run against the Chargers. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=aaQwSrP1l-s)

Yeah, McCree was off balance, but he looked like a rag doll.

kepp
08-06-2007, 07:00 AM
Great list.

One of my favorite plays from last year was this LJ run against the Chargers. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=aaQwSrP1l-s)

Yeah, McCree was off balance, but he looked like a rag doll.
My favorite part of that play was when Black tried to cut in on Dunn's job and hoist LJ up for his patented TD sign.

Lzen
08-06-2007, 07:52 AM
My favorite part of that play was when Black tried to cut in on Dunn's job and hoist LJ up for his patented TD sign.

Heh, funny. In all seriousness, it appears Black did a good job (along with Dunn) at sealing the left side to spring LJ.

Direckshun, great thread.

TinyEvel
08-06-2007, 07:57 AM

ROFL Yeah. LJ flashed the Roca for a second, then quickly tapped out. I think he saw Dunn running up and realized he was balls to neck with I-65.

the Talking Can
08-06-2007, 08:31 AM
i don't have anythng to add, but nice post...Green getting stepped on was indeed a sign...

StcChief
08-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Agreed.
Nice review of best of 2006.

Rain Man
08-06-2007, 08:56 AM
I've already been beaten to the punch, but Tynes missing that field goal was a punch to every vital organ in my body, and two to the groin. It was the old playoff curse rising up again.

Direckshun
08-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Others I would have included if 10 were existentially a larger number:

* Law intercepting a WR sweep pass against Jacksonville.
* Jared Allen chasing a Pittsburg RB 25 yards down the field to make a tackle.
* Tony G dislocating his shoulder to prevent a Huard interception in Miami.
* Tony G ripping a Browns defender's head off to secure a touchdown reception.
* Jared Allen recovering a Dolphins' fumble and stiff-arming a tackler for 10 yards.
* Sammy Knight's "exclamation point" at the end of the Rams win.
* LJ's rumbler against San Diego that ZootedGranny put up.
* Kennison's fingertips catch to secure a win against the Seahawks.

luv
08-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Others I would have included if 10 were existentially a larger number:

* Law intercepting a WR sweep pass against Jacksonville.
* Jared Allen chasing a Pittsburg RB 25 yards down the field to make a tackle.
* Tony G dislocating his shoulder to prevent a Huard interception in Miami.
* Tony G ripping a Browns defender's head off to secure a touchdown reception.
* Jared Allen recovering a Dolphins' fumble and stiff-arming a tackler for 10 yards.
* LJ's rumbler against San Diego that ZootedGranny put up.
* Kennison's fingertips catch to secure a win against the Seahawks.
Tony G dislocating his shoulder to prevent a Huard interception in Miami. That man so deserves a SB ring.

crazycoffey
08-06-2007, 01:42 PM

yeah, that is funny. I've also noticed while watching priest highlights since his attempt at returning has started, but Dunn Picked him up after every TD too....

JazzzLovr
08-06-2007, 02:40 PM

LMAO One of my faves.

unothadeal
08-06-2007, 02:59 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a0i_Ym-7adM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a0i_Ym-7adM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Notice what the guy says at the end

Crashride
08-06-2007, 03:05 PM
LJ had a run against the 49ers that they show on like every highlight film, he got hit like 3 times behind the line and faught off all the lineman like a bull, then bounces it outside up the sideline for like a 30 yard gain. My fav scary larry run