PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: A 10-Day Look At Camp

Coogs
08-06-2007, 07:39 AM
GRETZ: A 10-Day Look At Camp
Aug 06, 2007, 6:07:00 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

The Chiefs wrapped up the first stage of the pre-season on Saturday with the practice work against the Vikings.

They begin the second stage on the field Monday as they return to the practice for their last full week here in the north woods. Right now, the schedule calls for only two more days of two full practices and they’ll have to start getting ready for the pre-season opener this Saturday in Cleveland.

Actually, the second stage began Sunday afternoon when the coaching and personnel staffs gathered to discuss the roster. Discussions in this meeting are the first pieces of roster puzzle that must see the Chiefs reach their 53-man regular season limit in less than a month.

Here’s a look back at who got things done enough to get noticed in the first 10 days of the 2007 Chiefs season.

Offense
Let’s start with the interior trio of the offensive line: Brian Waters, Casey Wiegmann and John Welbourn. They have looked very good individually and good working together. Waters has been dominating at left guard and it’s obvious that Welbourn is better suited to play guard than tackle, where he’s played the last three seasons for the Chiefs. He looks very comfortable there.

Among the wide receivers, none has really stood out on a practice-to-practice basis. At various times youngsters like Maurice Price, Ean Randolph and Brad Ekwerekwu have shown flashes, but there’s no consistency. Veteran Rod Gardner who joined the team early last season off the waiver wire and then played almost exclusively on special teams, has done some good things as well, but has also been inconsistent.

The receiver who seems to have improved the most is second-year man Jeff Webb. He’s being counted on as the team’s top kickoff return man, but he’s showing up on offense more often. He’s made some good catches and appears to have improved his route running.

It’s been interesting watching the running backs, with Larry Johnson still out and Priest Holmes working to get in practice shape. Michael Bennett has looked very good and the best part of his camp so far has been his availability. If he can continue to produce and stay away from injury, he’s going to become a big part of this offense whether L.J. is around or not.

Rookies Kolby Smith and Marcus O’Keith have also shown flashes when given the opportunity, not only running outside, but also going for the tough yards between the tackles. Smith has a nice little wiggle in his running style that allows him to snap off potential tacklers.

At quarterback, Brodie Croyle has looked good, sometimes very good. He’s getting the ball out of his hands quickly. The Chiefs are introducing some movement for the quarterback on passing plays with Croyle and he does a good job of handling that. There isn’t a throw he can’t make on the field and for the most part he’s been pretty accurate.

Defense
A lot of defensive players have had good camps so far. That alone is one of the best signs the Chiefs have seen for years.

Along the defensive line, Jared Allen and Tamba Hali have been very good and both have spent time working with some of the younger pass rushers on techniques. In the first few practices Alfonso Boone looked very good at defensive tackle, but he tore tendons in his left ring finger and has been on the sidelines.

Maybe the star of camp so far has been linebacker Derrick Johnson. He’s always shown his athletic ability, but now it seems like D.J. knows where to go and he’s showing up with some big hits. Napoleon Harris had been very quiet until the Friday night practice against the Vikings. If he plays every week like he did against his old team, there may not be many tackles left for Johnson and Donnie Edwards. Also, second-year man William Kershaw has done some good things playing in the middle of the No. 2 defense.

In the secondary, the young safety duo of Jarrad Page and Bernard Pollard runs things like they’ve been back there for years, not just 12 months. They have both had good camps, with Pollard showing up for some big plays.

Tribal Warfare
08-06-2007, 07:43 AM
everyone has been solid to great, but the WRs still blow sheep balls.
Hopefully Bowe can change that :grovel:

Chiefnj2
08-06-2007, 07:53 AM
I was hoping to hear some more positive news regarding the interior of the DL.

Molitoth
08-06-2007, 07:53 AM
The receiver who seems to have improved the most is second-year man Jeff Webb. He’s being counted on as the team’s top kickoff return man, but he’s showing up on offense more often. He’s made some good catches and appears to have improved his route running.

I like Webb, this is good.

CoMoChief
08-06-2007, 08:25 AM
everyone has been solid to great, but the WRs still blow sheep balls.
Hopefully Bowe can change that :grovel:

Which is why we need to draft another WR early next year and/or also add a big time #1 WR via FA.

boogblaster
08-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Hoping a FA.. WR shows up before RS....

the Talking Can
08-06-2007, 09:18 AM
"The Chiefs are introducing some movement for the quarterback on passing plays with Croyle and he does a good job of handling that. There isn’t a throw he can’t make on the field and for the most part he’s been pretty accurate."

does this mean more shifting in the sets, or are they rolling Croyle out? I'd love to have a QB who could throw on the run....

htismaqe
08-06-2007, 09:23 AM
I was hoping to hear some more positive news regarding the interior of the DL.

Me too. Boone was looking ok before the injury, that was a blow.

Sounds like McBride showed up ready to play. He's been showing flashes in both practice and in the scrimmage from what I've heard.

The reports on Tyler are very mixed - sounds like he's getting handled in practice, but played decent against the Vikes.

Tribal Warfare
08-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Me
The reports on Tyler are very mixed - sounds like he's getting handled in practice, but played decent against the Vikes.

gametime type of player :shrug:

The type of player that gets so amped during pregame that they can run through walls like John Henderson maybe

htismaqe
08-06-2007, 09:39 AM
gametime type of player :shrug:

The type of player that gets so amped before a game that they can run through walls like John Henderson maybe

That was the big knock on Tyler coming out (other than some his attitude issues ie. the "spitting" incident). He was prone to taking plays off and generally not applying himself to the fullest of his potential.

Mr. Kotter
08-06-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm thinking of filing plagiarism charges against Gretz....he basically says the same things I did in my camp review. :harumph:

:hmmm:

keg in kc
08-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Me too. Boone was looking ok before the injury, that was a blow.I'm sure someone's covered it already, but Rhonda Moss said on Grunhard's show this morning that he was back in practice.

the Talking Can
08-06-2007, 10:55 AM
"The Chiefs are introducing some movement for the quarterback on passing plays with Croyle and he does a good job of handling that. There isn’t a throw he can’t make on the field and for the most part he’s been pretty accurate."

does this mean more shifting in the sets, or are they rolling Croyle out? I'd love to have a QB who could throw on the run....

anyone have a thought on this?

are we going to see some bootleg?

FAX
08-06-2007, 10:56 AM

Bring back Hank's "Moving Pocket"!!!

FAX

keg in kc
08-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Bring back Hank's "Moving Pocket"!!!

FAXIs that a moving pocket or are you happy to see me?

Hydrae
08-06-2007, 11:42 AM
At quarterback, Brodie Croyle has looked good, sometimes very good. He’s getting the ball out of his hands quickly. The Chiefs are introducing some movement for the quarterback on passing plays with Croyle and he does a good job of handling that. There isn’t a throw he can’t make on the field and for the most part he’s been pretty accurate.

Coming from the mouthpiece of the Chiefs, this is low praise.

Chiefnj2
08-06-2007, 11:44 AM
anyone have a thought on this?

are we going to see some bootleg?

It'll be called a bootleg, but it's really Croyle running for his life from the LDE.