PDA

View Full Version : 2 dvd set-The complete history of the Kansas City Chiefs out tommorow

Joe_Camel
08-06-2007, 04:29 PM
FYI http://www.amazon.com/NFL-History-Kansas-City-Chiefs/dp/B000PY52E0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7376478-3111943?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1186439172&sr=1-1

Ebolapox
08-06-2007, 05:18 PM
and what's funny about amazon? package the chiefs history with the FUGGIN' JETS history and you save SEVENTY F*CKING CENTS

yeah, but you have to spend an extra twenty bucks to get a worthless two-dvd set about the JETS

heh

Demonpenz
08-06-2007, 06:12 PM
I don't know how they squeezed in all our recent playoff sucess on 2 disks

Crashride
08-06-2007, 06:16 PM
I don't know how they squeezed in all our recent playoff sucess on 2 disks

thread over

KcMizzou
08-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. I hadn't heard about it.

I'll have to pick up a copy.

Rain Man
08-06-2007, 06:19 PM
I want this more than I've ever wanted anything in my entire life that would fit into a DVD player.

ChiefsFan4Life
08-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks, I just ordered one

siberian khatru
08-06-2007, 06:22 PM
I want this more than I've ever wanted anything in my entire life that would fit into a DVD player.

Oh, great, and I just bought you this for your birthday:

http://www3.hmv.co.uk/hmv/Large_Images/HMVVIDEO/bvd9033.JPG

KcMizzou
08-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks, I just ordered oneMe too. :thumb:

Rain Man
08-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Oh, great, and I just bought you this for your birthday:

http://www3.hmv.co.uk/hmv/Large_Images/HMVVIDEO/bvd9033.JPG

I'm really torn now.

However, I did just order the Chiefs one, and I have room for more than one passion in my life.

I also ordered the classic Meat Loaf album, "Midnight at the Lost and Found". Helloooooooo, 1983.

08-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Got this at my local Blockbuster for $19.99 today. I was just bitching to a friend last Saturday how there are no DVDs out there that really cover the Chiefs history. Then I go into BB today and BOOM.

Somebody heard me. ROFL

Frazod
08-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Sounds depressing. :banghead:

JazzzLovr
08-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Sounds depressing. :banghead:

No doubt... like a Greek tragedy.

But I know I'm going to buy it come payday anyway. :shake:

08-08-2007, 02:16 AM
So far, this is great.

38 minutes.

So nice to hear Kevin Harlan again too.

Saulbadguy
08-08-2007, 08:16 AM
I picked up a copy. I'll watch it today later at work and i'll post a "review".

ChiefsCountry
08-08-2007, 08:43 AM
So does the DVD basically show the 60's for most of it, then goes black and says this is the 70's and 80's, then show back up in the 90's.

Frankie
08-08-2007, 08:48 AM
I picked up a copy. I'll watch it today later at work and i'll post a "review".
Hey Saul,

I've had my eye on this release for months. But given the stretch that included almost all of the 70s and the 80s I can't really want this "history" unless a very good coverage of the Superbowl win is included. Could you include how extensively the game is included, in your review? Thanks.

This also goes for you other folks who have bought or ordered this already.

shaneo69
08-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Chapter Titles:

Disc #1 -- Chiefs: The Complete History, Disc 1
1. Open [:47]
2. Dallas Days [5:25]
3. Texas Bragging Rights [5:45]
4. Kansas City Here We Come [6:47]
5. Standard-Bearers [5:55]
6. Super Chiefs [5:21]
7. World Champions [8:11]
8. The Longest Game [8:24]
9. Honesty & Reality [4:11]
10. No Pain, No Gain [6:44]
11. Give Me a Play [6:15]
12. Short End of the Stick [4:40]
13. Martyball Redefined [7:35]
14. Class Reunion [9:00]
15. The Family Man [7:57]

Disc #2 -- Chiefs: The Complete History, Disc 2
1. Dick Vermeil
2. Marty Schottenheimer

Saulbadguy
08-08-2007, 11:54 AM
The first 45 minutes was about the Texans, and the Chiefs of the 60's and early 70's. It ended with the hiring of Paul Wiggin, and then skipped ahead to 1988 and the hiring of Carl.

siberian khatru
08-08-2007, 11:55 AM
The first 45 minutes was about the Texans, and the Chiefs of the 60's and early 70's. It ended with the hiring of Paul Wiggin, and then skipped ahead to 1988 and the hiring of Carl.

It skipped Joe Delaney?

Saulbadguy
08-08-2007, 11:56 AM
It skipped Joe Delaney?
No mention of him whatsoever.

edit: So far.

Sure-Oz
08-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Is it worth the buy or just boring?

BigRock
08-08-2007, 02:05 PM
It skipped Joe Delaney?
There's a feature on Joe listed as one of the extras. Here's the full list of the bonus features:

DISC ONE
Hall of Fame Chiefs
Ring of Honor - Offense
Ring of Honor - Defense
The Coaches - Training Camp
The Coaches - Pregame
The Coaches - Zebras
The Coaches - Gameday
The Coaches - Postgame

DISC TWO
1969 Chiefs Highlight Film
Big Charlie's
Christian Okoye
Hank Stram Wired
Gonzalez/Phelger
Joe Delaney
Larry Johnson
Marcus Allen
Birth of the AFL

Saulbadguy
08-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Is it worth the buy or just boring?
So far it's been pretty cool, but there is little to no replay value of it, IMO.

08-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Most of these types of DVDs have little replay value. I definitely enjoyed it though. As much as the stretch from 73-87 goes, I was a little disappointed that they didn't touch on it more rather than just skipping over it. It may have sucked but it is still a part of our history.

StcChief
08-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Sounds like a rental.

Saulbadguy
08-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Just finished up the first disc.

They talked about the old AFL, Lamar Hunt and the Stram teams quite a bit. Reviewed alot of "major" games throughout the history of the Chiefs. They skipped the entire 73-88 seasons, briefly talking about John Wiggin. Near the end of the disc they gave a blurb about every Chiefs head coach.

Off the top of my head...Some of the games, moments, and players they talked about (and showed clips from)

Dallas Texans win the AFL championship over Houston.
17-17 tie vs the Raiders to keep the Chiefs out of the playoffs after the Ben Davidson spear.
Christmas game vs Miami
Superbowl 1, including Vince Lombardi's disparaging remarks about the Chiefs and the AFL.
The season after Superbowl 1, the Chiefs played the Bears in an Exhibition game which was the first NFL team to visit KC, they beat them 66-24.
Superbowl 4, of course.
The Vikings pounding the Chiefs in a rematch of SB4 in the first game of the next season (exhibition, I think?)
Hank Stram, and his innovative formations and offense.
Mack Lee Hill
Otis Taylor
Willie Lanier
then they skip to 88, hiring Carl, hiring Marty, drafting Derrick Thomas.
A little snippit about Steve DeBerg, they show his finger with the splint going through it.
Joe Montana, Marcus Allen and Will Shields
1994 Monday Night Miracle
Derrick Thomas 7 sack game
They pretty much skip the 1995 playoff home loss for whatever reason.
1997 home playoff loss, Marty retiring the next year.
Pretty much skip over Gunther.
Highlights of Dick Vermeils era and Dante Hall
Herm Edwards, and the death of Lamar Hunt.

shrek6849
08-08-2007, 05:09 PM
I want to buy this was just for the lulz!

KcMizzou
08-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Most of these types of DVDs have little replay value. I definitely enjoyed it though. As much as the stretch from 73-87 goes, I was a little disappointed that they didn't touch on it more rather than just skipping over it. It may have sucked but it is still a part of our history.I don't have my copy yet. (ordered from Amazon) But, I'm quite sure I've spent 20 bucks on worse DVD's.

Would anyone like to buy a copy of "Alone in the Dark", "The Wicker Man", or "Eragon"? :)

08-09-2007, 03:16 AM
I don't have my copy yet. (ordered from Amazon) But, I'm quite sure I've spent 20 bucks on worse DVD's.

Would anyone like to buy a copy of "Alone in the Dark", "The Wicker Man", or "Eragon"? :)

I never said it was bad. Just that I wish they had included those 17 or so years.

Watched the Marty segment on disc 2......

"Take that blitz and stick it up you **** Jerry Glanville."

ROFL

Skip Towne
08-09-2007, 06:37 AM
I'm really torn now.

However, I did just order the Chiefs one, and I have room for more than one passion in my life.

I also ordered the classic Meat Loaf album, "Midnight at the Lost and Found". Helloooooooo, 1983.
Two out of three ain't bad.

ChiefsFan4Life
08-11-2007, 04:51 PM
I just got this in the mail today and watched it - I would say for 20 bucks this is definitely worth a pickup for any Chiefs fan

Ultra Peanut
08-11-2007, 04:55 PM
I don't have my copy yet. (ordered from Amazon) But, I'm quite sure I've spent 20 bucks on worse DVD's.

Would anyone like to buy a copy of "Alone in the Dark", "The Wicker Man", or "Eragon"? :)OH GOD BEES NOT BEES OH MY EEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYESSSSSSSSS

Rain Man
11-18-2007, 02:19 AM
I bought this when it came out, but I was busy at work and set it aside and then forgot about it for a while. I found it again a couple of weeks ago and watched every inch of it. A few notes:

1. Overall, I was quite pleased with it. It had lots of footage that I've never seen before.

2. One of the most entertaining parts for me was seeing all of the past players that I enjoyed watching. They'd show a clip of Hank Stram, and you'd see this behemoth walk by, and I'd be like, "Hey! That's Buck Buchanan!" They had a great clip of John Mackovic drenched in the locker room as part of what I presume was the celebration for breaking the 15-year playoff drought. Behind him, you can see Stephone Paige cheering, and it made me grin.

3. It was ludicrous that they didn't cover the entire period from the early 70s to the Marty era. They didn't give any coverage at all to great players like Art Still, Gary Green, and the dream backfield of Cherry, Burruss, Lewis, and Ross. Those were lean years, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be covered, and there were still highlights.

4. Speaking of highlights, the show specifically avoided losses. It covered, for example, our wins over Pittsburgh and Houston in 1993, but then never mentioned what happened afterward. It mentioned our 13-3 seasons in 1995, 1997, and 2003, and then blithely went forward. While painful, the memories of those playoffs are nonetheless an important part of Chiefs history.

5. I love Marty like a brother, or at least an uncle who could never win in the playoffs. Nonetheless, I have to note that he gives the worst inspirational speeches ever. They showed several of his locker room speeches, and every one of them made me think, "That's it? That's the best he could do?" One example clip showed him with the Chargers, and at the end of the game (apparently before a bye week), he said, "Men, I want you to remember one thing before you leave. One thing only. (Dramatic long pause.) Charger pride." Charger pride? That's it? That's the key message? Maybe I'm not the winningest active coach ever, but they were always kind of lame.

6. Two Chiefs that I learned more about and got a lot of respect for were Jerry Mays and Robert Holmes. These guys were a little before my time, so I didn't really know much about them. Mays was a really good defensive end, and Holmes was really pretty incredible, one of those running backs who appeared to be almost impossible to bring down.

7. Bobby Bell hit like heck, and Jim Lynch was really fast. I remember these guys from when I was a little kid, but it was fun to see them again from a more knowledgeable perspective.

8. The show didn't cover the offensive line nearly enough, in any era.

9. B.C. Christopher, the corporate sponsor of the Chiefs' 1969 highlight film, really is getting a lot of return on that investment. 40 years later, I'm still seeing their ad.

10. I couldn't believe that they didn't show the second-greatest Chiefs play ever (after Taylor's Super Bowl touchdown). They didn't show Keith Cash nailing the Buddy Ryan poster. I loved that play more than any other I've ever seen.

11. There was a hilarious little clip about Vermeil. He and the other unit coaches (Saunders, Robinson, and Gansz, Jr.) made a surprise visit to a Chiefs sports bar in Philadelphia in 2002. (They stopped showing Robinson after they went into the bar, so I'm guessing that he was ejected, or perhaps had to flee for his life.) Anyway, as they were showing up, Vermeil was telling the other coaches about an experience he had once where this blind woman cooked him dinner. It turned out that the woman's brother was a gambler, and Vermeil got a call from the league telling him to cease and desist. So he's in this sports bar chatting with the fans, and the central fans are the two owners of the sports bar. At one point, one of them says, "Hey, you know my cousin. She's blind, and she made you dinner once."

12. I really wish they would do something like walk through every player in the Chiefs' history, and show a short highlight. Yeah, I know there are a zillion former players, but hey, I'd buy DVDs that showed such clips. As it was, they showed a lot of clips of various Chiefs stars (and particularly coaches), but I didn't get to see very much (if anything) of guys like Barbaro and Dino Hackett and Todd McNair and Art Still and Rich Baldinger and Danan Hughes and Louis Aguiar.

Hammock Parties
11-18-2007, 08:16 AM
It's a great DVD set. I posted about it a few weeks ago.

kcfan82
11-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Nice, I'm picking up 2 for dad and my brother in law.