View Full Version : Peter King:Training Camp Postcards: Chiefs

kcwild
08-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Where's Peter
Postcards From Camp

Kansas City Chiefs
River Falls, Wisc. | Aug. 5, 2007
More Postcards From Camp

Brodie Croyle takes over the Chiefs offense, but he hasn't shown much in camp.
AP
In River Falls, Wisc., summer home of the Chiefs ... but for how long? The Chiefs are making noise that they may become another one of those teams that gives up camp life to work year-round at its home training facility. I'll campaign against that vigorously. Anything that gets teams to be able to touch their fans more, I'm for. And in River Falls (pop.: 12,000), a university town in western Wisconsin, you can buddy-up with the Chiefs pretty regularly.

Five Things I Think
1. I think the jury will be out on prospective starting quarterback Brodie Croyle until we see him manage a game under duress. Watched him Saturday in a scrimmage against the Vikes, and he was unimpressive. That and $3.49 will get you a triple grande hazelnut latte.

2. I think it's never a very good idea to have two teams face each other two nights in a row in scrimmages ... particularly when they have to bus two hours each way to do so. The Chiefs and Vikes got very chippy in the scrimmage tonight, with three separate fights breaking out, the last involving Kyle Turley, trying to win a job as the Chiefs' starting right tackle. The scrimmage was kiboshed 45 minutes early.

3. I think it's pretty interesting to note that the two corners, vets who didn't wholeheartedly jump on the Herman Edwards bandwagon last year, have come to camp hungry to play great. It shows in their weight. Patrick Surtain lost 12 pounds over last year's weight; Ty Law dropped 15. The coach is thrilled with both.

4. I think the Chiefs are rapidly falling in love with last year's second-round pick, safety Bernard Pollard. He blocked three punts last year and was probably the special teams player of the year in the NFL. This year, he'll have to lose the starting strong safety job in camp, but the team still plans to keep him on a few kicking teams because he's so good.

5. I think the Chiefs have the toughest opening quarter and closing quarter, combined, of any schedule in football. They open with three of four on the road (at Houston, at Chicago, Minnesota, at San Diego) and close with three of four on the road (at Denver, Tennessee, at Detroit, at the Jets). Eat your Wheaties this summer, men.

Did You Know?
Never know what you're going to learn from reading media guides. And the 552-page Chiefs guide has some real gems. My favorite bizarro note of the guide, in the bio for veteran linebacker Donnie Edwards: "While vacationing in Rome in 2005 [he] was present at the Vatican when the white smoke was released from the Sistine Chapel's chimney announcing to the world that Pope Benedict XVI had been chosen to succeed Pope John Paul II.''

On the Menu
Didn't chow down at the Chiefs' mess hall in the new $36-million student center at UW-River Falls. Sorry to disappoint. I did have quite a fine walleye sandwich at one of the local eateries, and if I'd been paying attention to the name, I'd tip you off on it and recommend it highly.

Camp Confidential
"We're not too worried about the Larry Johnson situation, but you obviously have to pay it some sort of mind,'' defensive end Tamba Hali said this afternoon, on a misty, rain-spitting day on the campus of UW-River Falls. "The way I look at it is Herm's not very worried about it, and if he's not worried about it, then I'm not.'' The Chiefs think Johnson, holding out in a contract dispute, will be in before the first game. Here's the thing to remember about Johnson, who, in 2005 and 2006, has more touches over a two-year span (826) than any running back in NFL history: He doesn't need camp. In some ways, it's almost better than he doesn't come to camp. For him to survive another year (if indeed he comes to camp), he needs to be very fresh on Labor Day.

Camp sages say this is the best summer Michael Bennett has ever had, at least early on. Bennett, the former Viking and Saint, has played a full season only twice in a six-year career. But he impressed in limited duty last year (36 carries, 5.6 yards per carry) and Edwards plans to run him more this year anyway, even if Johnson returns. The star of camp in the first week was Kolby Smith, who played some fullback then mostly backed up Michael Bush until Bush broke his leg last year.

So the depth at running back is good. Now the Chiefs have to trust that the rebuilt offensive line, once a staple of stability, will hold up now that Willie Roaf and Will Shields have retired within a year of each other. The wisest move Edwards made is moving John Welbourn inside to guard, where he's a better mashing fit than he was last year outside at tackle.

Ebolapox
08-06-2007, 05:11 PM
another postcard...from a chimpanzeee

and they're ALL...addressed to MEEEEEEE

who could imagine so many monkeys in the daily mail?

Spott
08-06-2007, 05:11 PM
What kind of sissy drinks triple grande hazelnut lattes and brags about it?

Ebolapox
08-06-2007, 05:12 PM
AND ALL OF THEM COMING ANONYMOUSLY SO THEY LEAVE NO TRAIL!111

kstater
08-06-2007, 05:15 PM
"That and $3.49 will get you a triple grande hazelnut latte."

Stopped reading and figured him for an idiot when I saw this.

Ebolapox
08-06-2007, 05:16 PM
I won't even say repost. though it is. a serious riposte.1

CoMoChief
08-06-2007, 05:33 PM
R-R-R-R-R-REPOST!!!!!!

CoMoChief
08-06-2007, 05:35 PM
****in Mods, that is NOT cool.

Buehler445
08-06-2007, 05:44 PM
He talks about coffee all the time. If he gave me half as much money as he spends on coffee, I'd probably double my income.

Mile High Mania
08-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Great ... he's contributing to the schedule excuse.

5. I think the Chiefs have the toughest opening quarter and closing quarter, combined, of any schedule in football. They open with three of four on the road (at Houston, at Chicago, Minnesota, at San Diego) and close with three of four on the road (at Denver, Tennessee, at Detroit, at the Jets). Eat your Wheaties this summer, men.

GarySpFc
08-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Where's Peter
Postcards From Camp

Brodie Croyle takes over the Chiefs offense, but he hasn't shown much in camp.

Peter saw the worst performance of Brodie at camp, and now he has written him off to justify his rating as the 32nd quarerback in the NFL. Funny, he talked to Werm who made it clear that Brodie was his man. One would think King was smarter than he has shown.

Adept Havelock
08-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Great ... he's contributing to the schedule excuse.

I don't see an excuse. Just an observation.

And for once, a fairly accurate one from that fool.

Buehler445
08-06-2007, 07:14 PM
I didn't know about Surtain and Law losing weight. There any merit to it?
Did they need to lose it?
Is it the result of training that will make them faster or just eating different?

Thig Lyfe
08-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Peter saw the worst performance of Brodie at camp, and now he has written him off to justify his rating as the 32nd quarerback in the NFL. Funny, he talked to Werm who made it clear that Brodie was his man. One would think King was smarter than he has shown.

I think we all knew that was going to happen, too.

FloridaMan88
08-07-2007, 08:20 AM

Funny how Croyle's worst performance just happened to come when the Chiefs were scrimmaging against an opposing team for the first time this training camp.

A preview of things to come for sure

Coogs
08-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Funny how Croyle's worst performance just happened to come when the Chiefs were scrimmaging against an opposing team for the first time this training camp.

Remember, Croyle was running with the 2nd team on Saturday. And remember this too. If Croyle fails, QB will be high on the draft list in next years draft. Considering we have a few other needs on this team, I would think nearly every single Chiefs fan would give Croyle the benifit of the doubt, and not start considering him to be a bust after an INT in a training camp situation.

And yes, if Croyle fails, there are some very good QB's at the top of the draft next year.... but there are also some very good OT's too.

FAX
08-07-2007, 08:52 AM

I believe he was working with the second unit when he had the bad hair day, Mr. KCChiefsfan88. No excuses, but just the reality of the circumstances surrounding his performance.

Hermoine is, no doubt, trying to keep the kid humble.

FAX

htismaqe
08-07-2007, 08:54 AM

I'm sure you'll be here to bitch about it. Another preview of things to come.

htismaqe
08-07-2007, 08:56 AM
I believe he was working with the second unit when he had the bad hair day, Mr. KCChiefsfan88. No excuses, but just the reality of the circumstances surrounding his performance.

Hermoine is, no doubt, trying to keep the kid humble.

FAX

When Huard struggles, it's because he was working with the 2nd-team.

When Croyle struggles, it's because he sucks.

Get it straight.

I had to listen to the guys on Des Moines radio talk about Mitch Holthus like he was the worst thing to ever happen to sports and then one of them went on to say that Peter King says Croyle sucks, so Croyle must suck.

Priest4Prez
08-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Who's starting at SS then?

I think the Chiefs are rapidly falling in love with last year's second-round pick, safety Bernard Pollard. He blocked three punts last year and was probably the special teams player of the year in the NFL. This year, he'll have to lose the starting strong safety job in camp, but the team still plans to keep him on a few kicking teams because he's so good.

stevieray
08-07-2007, 09:00 AM
I find it interesting that King spends time writing about a team he's convinced is going to suck.

ChiefsCountry
08-07-2007, 09:09 AM
King sounds like Salisbury from ESPN last night.

htismaqe
08-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Holy shit.

I sent an email last night to Ken Miller at KXNO (the Des Moines radio show I mentioned in my previous post).

Basically I just explained that Holthus is definitely a shill for the Chiefs and that's to be expected. I also tried to explain to him that if you can cut through that fact, and the frequent references to Papa John's, that Mitch can also give out some juicy information.

I mentioned to him that I found it ironic they spent 10 minutes bashing on Mitch for being a shill, when I've heard Athan on their show. I'm guessing they have no idea what Athan's reputation is, so I told him that too.

And finally, I let him know that Peter King's opinion on Croyle is just one opinion amongst many, and King isn't exactly a bastion of objectivity.

He responded, saying the he finds Mitch funny (ironic, a Donk fan likes his schtick while most Chief fans hate it) and that Peter King's opinion on Croyle should be respected because King is highly regarded in NFL circles.

So I emailed him again and made a wisecrack about King and Plummer for MVP. I even followed it with a winking smilie. Explained to him that I don't find Mitch particularly amusing, but I like to listen because occassionally he'll tip you off to some big news. And I once again defended Croyle against King's opinion.

His final response caught me off guard:

As far as King goes we disagree and that's fine, the real assessment lies somewhere in the middle which likely makes him average at best. He's clearly at the bottom of the pecking order in the AFC West and that's really all that matters. Best of luck to your team in it's re-building year or two.

Priest4Prez
08-07-2007, 10:09 AM
that guys an assclown.

Chiefnj2
08-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Why are you surprised that people don't think highly of Croyle?

htismaqe
08-07-2007, 10:11 AM
that guys an assclown.

Been listening to him for almost a decade and I've always known he was a Donk.

He's just never been a prick about it before.

htismaqe
08-07-2007, 10:13 AM

I'm not surprised people don't think highly of Croyle.

I'm surprised that someone who considers themselves a professional would ignore ALL of the other info coming out of camp and focus on one negative review from a guy who

1) openly admits he hates the midwest and

2) only attended one limited scrimmage

Priest4Prez
08-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Because, until this, I've heard nothing but good things about croyle at training camp.

stevieray
08-07-2007, 10:17 AM
The fact that after one comment about Croyle, he feels compelled to talk about coffee tells me he's not even close to being objective.

Priest4Prez
08-07-2007, 10:19 AM
what kind of moron buys sissy coffee in August?

htismaqe
08-07-2007, 10:21 AM
The fact that after one comment about Croyle, he feels compelled to talk about coffee tells me he's not even close to being objective.

Actually, the comment about coffee shows that Peter King knows what's up, but apparently the people that put stock in his opinions (like the guy I emailed) didn't get it.

King basically says "I saw Croyle scrimmage the Vikes and he wasn't very good, BUT it was only one scrimmage and it's only my opinion, so take it for what it's worth."

Chiefnj2
08-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Because, until this, I've heard nothing but good things about croyle at training camp.

He's got a good arm. That's what people learned from camp. It's relatively easy to look good when you are wearing the yellow or red jersey and you know nobody can lay a hand on you. Until he's playing in some games, all you really have is his play at Pitt last year.

FAX
08-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Brodie has to prove himself on the field. We're still some distance from that.

But, market down. If the coaches allow him to gain confidence in game situations, he'll put guys like Romo, Eli, Cutler, and Rivers to shame.

2 minutes left, down by 6, 70 yards to go, Croyle is 7 for 7 leading the Chiefs to the touchdown and the win finishing the drive with a 20 yard strike to Gonzo in the end zone as the crowd goes wild. That's what he needs.

FAX

Priest4Prez
08-07-2007, 10:26 AM

But, market down. If the coaches allow him to gain confidence in game situations, he'll put guys like Romo, Eli, Cutler, and Rivers to shame.

2 minutes left, down by 6, 70 yards to go, Croyle is 7 for 7 leading the Chiefs to the touchdown and the win finishing the drive with a 20 yard strike to Bowe in the end zone as the crowd goes wild. That's what he needs.

FAX
sounds almost too good to be true

Chiefnj2
08-07-2007, 10:31 AM

2 minutes left, down by 6, 70 yards to go, Croyle is 7 for 7 leading the Chiefs to the touchdown and the win finishing the drive with a 20 yard strike to Gonzo in the end zone as the crowd goes wild. That's what he needs.

FAX

Herm is going to allow 7 pass plays in a row?

Frankie
08-07-2007, 10:31 AM

FAX
Mr. FAX,

Since I respect your posts here a lot, I will refrain from the standard "put the pipe down and slowly walk away" answer. I absolutely love for Croyle to become what you are picturing here, but the fact is we haven't seen him in a real game. The homer in me wants to believe that you have based your post on something that the rest of us don't know.

htismaqe
08-07-2007, 10:32 AM
He's got a good arm. That's what people learned from camp. It's relatively easy to look good when you are wearing the yellow or red jersey and you know nobody can lay a hand on you. Until he's playing in some games, all you really have is his play at Pitt last year.

And his 4 years at Alabama.

FAX
08-07-2007, 10:32 AM

No, no, no. There was 1 run in there. Off tackle for 6 yards.

FAX

Priest4Prez
08-07-2007, 10:33 AM
This season will look something like varsity blues

CosmicPal
08-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Let's see: His job is to spend most of his time evaluating the Chiefs and then report back to the office with his Nobel Prize winning literature.

Instead, he watches one scrimmage, drinks lattes' at some coffee shop away from the fields, and eats walleye at some restaurant in town.

He bypasses the multi-million dollar mess hall for the players where he could've scored all kinds of tips and insights as to how the Chiefs are really doing. Instead, he's running around town looking up skirts and making himself fatter.

I say that's a pretty fuggen easy job. I wouldn't be surprised if he paid some college student to make up all this sh*t for him. Probably gave the student a sixer of Pabst Blue Ribbon and told 'em "You suck at writing. Now where can I find some good chocolate mousse around here?"

FAX
08-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Mr. FAX,

Since I respect your posts here a lot, I will refrain from the standard "put the pipe down and slowly walk away" answer. I absolutely love for Croyle to become what you are picturing here, but the fact is we haven't seen him in a real game. The homer in me wants to believe that you have based your post on something that the rest of us don't know.

I watched him a lot down here in toothless lady land, Mr. Frankie. I'm in SEC territory, after all.

He has the makings of a very fine quarterback. My concern all along has been that our fabulous coaching staff will screw him up. My post is intended to make the point that, if the coaches allow him to gain confidence in actual, real, honest-to-god NFL games, he'll develop into something we can be proud of. He has the tools.

FAX

Pushead2
08-07-2007, 11:18 AM
I hope Croyle pans out, but as for King, if anyone on this board thought we were going to hear or see the Chiefs on top 15 qb or even 25 the pipe was being hit.