PDA

View Full Version : River Falls Recap: Wednesday 8/8, PM Practice

Hammock Parties
08-08-2007, 10:53 PM
As a bonus, I will paste this one in it's entirety!!!!!!!

http://chiefs.scout.com/2/666423.html

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 - Evening practice, 7:00 PM - 8:22 PM

QUICK HITS –

We may be seeing the beginning of the end for Kendrell Bell. Tonight Keyaron Fox was playing with the second team at weakside linebacker. Not only that, he was making plays, too.

The Chiefs used Kyle Turley extensively at tight end tonight. Either they aren’t sold on Keith Willis as the blocking tight end or they’re just making use of Turley’s talents where they can. As you’ll see down the page in “who’s not,” there’s not a lot of options in that regard, at least judging from tonight’s practice.

Brodie Croyle took most of the reps with the first team tonight, if not all of them. The Chiefs got a good, long look at the young quarterback – and a good look at how he’s working with tight end Tony Gonzalez, who was the target of several Croyle passes, including a short touchdown reception.

Boomer Grigbsy is slowly but surely learning his position. Tonight he completely stonewalled a linebacker on a blitz pickup, allowing Brodie Croyle to hit Samie Parker down the seam with a 15-yard strike.

PLAYS OF THE DAY

I’ve finally figured out why the Chiefs just don’t throw deep much in training camp. Jarrad Page is quickly becoming a “shutdown” safety. It’s simply a bad idea to challenge KC’s safeties. Tonight Brodie Croyle attempted to squeeze in a long pass down the sideline to Samie Parker, but Page almost effortlessly glided over and swatted it away. Had the ball arrived a half-second later, it would have been a sure interception.

Tank Tyler had to make a play at some point. In goal-line drills this evening he rumbled down the line of scrimmage and rudely greeted running back Derrick Ross, who was denied a touchdown. Tyler absolutely blew up Ross, who had a head of steam on a weakside stretch play.

Brodie Croyle bootlegged out to his right, patiently scanned the field and threw a dart to the sideline. Jarrad Page raced toward wide receiver Chris Hannon, who was streaking down the sideline. He arrived a fraction of a second too late, as Hannon made a spinning, leaping catch, kept his toes inbounds and turned up-field for a sure touchdown. It’s tough to pull a fast one on Page, but Croyle and Hannon hooked up tonight for the prettiest play I’ve seen in River Falls.

WHO’S HOT

The entire defense dominated tonight’s practice for the most part. The pass rush put pressure on the quarterbacks, the linebackers filled the gaps and the defensive backs locked down the secondary. The Chiefs didn’t play a pure Cover 2 for a large portion of the evening, blitzing linebackers, safeties and corners from all angles at times. They even broke out the zero blitz once or twice.

Honestly, it was just scary to watch. Jared Allen was penetrating into the backfield all night. Jarrad Page was everywhere. Turk McBride came screaming down the line to make a tackle on a running play. Tamba Hali was blowing past any offensive tackle the Chiefs threw at him. Derrick Johnson and Bernard Pollard sliced into the line of scrimmage to stop running backs and blow up screens. Even Greg Wesley, Jimmy Wilkerson and Marcus Maxey (with a forced fumble) got in on the act. You get the point.

Justin Medlock was five for five this evening, nailing kicks from 32, 37, 42, 47 and 52 yards. His final attempt (the long one) came under duress, as the fans and players made a little noise before the snap. When the kick sailed through the uprights, it was almost like the Chiefs had won a game.

Despite the immense pressure the defense put on the offense tonight, I thought Brodie Croyle held his own out there. He wasn’t intercepted, and made a couple of really nice plays (the touchdown pass was thrown where only Gonzalez could get it). Even when the Chiefs brought Tyron Brackenridge screaming off the corner on a blitz, Croyle coolly flipped a pass to his All-Pro tight end. According to my notes he was eight out of 13 with one dropped pass. Overall, not a bad night of work considering the Chiefs were throwing the kitchen sink at him.

Rod Gardner just keeps showing up. Tonight he bobbled a pass before batting it back to himself, securing it and keeping his feet in bounds. He concluded the night with a 25-yard touchdown catch from Casey Printers, delighting the fans in attendance.

WHO’S NOT

Will Svitek had a solid night at left tackle. I didn’t see anyone breathing down a quarterback’s blindside for the most part. The right tackle situation is a complete mess, however. Chris Terry couldn’t handle Tamba Hali. Neither could Kyle Turley. Even Jimmy Wilkerson took both of them to school at times, and Montez Murphy rocketed pass Turley on one play. If this had been a live game, the sacks would have piled up. I counted at least six of them out there. Someone’s got to step up on the strongside, because right now it’s really ugly. I even saw a few false starts.

Tank Tyler is still struggling. Yeah, he made a nice play on the goal line. Then at the end of the night he was playing patty-cake with third-string offensive linemen, putting absolutely no heat on the quarterback whatsoever.

SITTING OUT

Alfonso Boone, Jason Dunn, Gilbert Harris, Greg Hanoian, Priest Holmes and Dwayne Bowe sat out tonight’s practice.

OVERHEARD

“Yeah, he has the ability to make those kind of throws. They’re bullets!” – a random Chiefs fan, enjoying what he saw from Brodie Croyle.

“Come on, seven! Boom that s**t!” – Defensive end Jared Allen, encouraging kicker Justin Medlock.

FAREWELL!

And with that, Warpaint Illustrated concludes coverage from River Falls. See you next year!

DallasChief
08-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Good Read

cdcox
08-08-2007, 11:00 PM
GoChiefs, can you clarify these two seemingly contradictory statements? Not trying to bust your chops, but rather I have a genuine curiosity about the LT situation.

"Jared Allen was penetrating into the backfield all night."

"Will Svitek had a solid night at left tackle. I didn’t see anyone breathing down a quarterback’s blindside for the most part. "

CoMoChief
08-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Sucks that Tyler is struggling.

So was Allen pretty much a non factor going against Svitek?

One more thing I have to add. There are a couple things that we are gonna see in the first pre season game on Sat,

1. That our defense is really showing up this season and could be a force to reckon with or...

2. It just seems like they are because our offense really sucks and that this is gonna be a long season and should be prepared to draft in top 10 next season.

Phobia
That's a pretty thorough breakdown. Nice work.

The only nitpick I have is the "half second" choice of words. If any pass thrown in the NFL arrives half a second later, 90% of them are picked. A DB can cover a lot of ground in half a second - 5 yards minimum.

KurtCobain
puttycock

CoMoChief
08-08-2007, 11:03 PM
GoChiefs, can you clarify these two seemingly contradictory statements? Not trying to bust your chops, but rather I have a genuine curiosity about the LT situation.

"Will Svitek had a solid night at left tackle. I didn’t see anyone breathing down a quarterback’s blindside for the most part. "

I was wondering that too, and it's not the first time he's written something like that as far as practice reports.

Hammock Parties
08-08-2007, 11:03 PM

Turley was playing a lot of left tackle. On the first play I saw him out there, Allen just shoved him right into Croyle's face. Actually, Svitek probably did get beat on some running plays. I didn't see Allen screaming around the end on too many pass plays though, apart from one where Printers bootlegged right into him.

cdcox
08-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Turley was playing a lot of left tackle. On the first play I saw him out there, Allen just shoved him right into Croyle's face. Actually, Svitek probably did get beat on some running plays. I didn't see Allen screaming around the end on too many pass plays though, apart from one where Printers bootlegged right into him.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm hopeful that Svitek is something better than a total disaster. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

chris
08-09-2007, 06:14 AM
thank you for the reports this year.

Very nice work.

tmax63
08-09-2007, 07:10 AM
DM's injury might end up helping the Chiefs on the O-line in the long run. Getting Svitek the reps as a starter for a month will give him a chance to shine before the real season starts. If he holds his own - great. If not then the Chiefs know where they stand. I know it slows/hurts the gelling of the line but it gives all DMac's reps to others and going against our DE combo all day every day can't help but improve our 2nd, 3rd, 4th OT's without getting a QB killed for real. And the forecast that DMac is going to be back around the beginning of the regular season gives me hope that by then they will know who is going to step up and who is a lost cause.

htismaqe
08-09-2007, 07:40 AM
Forget Svitek. The team obviously doesn't have confidence in him.

If we're stuck waiting until next year to get a REAL LT, I'd much rather play the season with McIntosh. Here's to hoping he makes it back soon...

And it is SO cool the Chiefs are running bootlegs!!!

Coogs
08-09-2007, 07:59 AM
GoChiefs,

Thanks for your reports! They were great! :toast:

Can you elaborate on something that you gave a bit of attention to in yesterdays evening blurb where Croyle's stock seemes to be droping?

Seems as if though he had a good day today with the blitz and all, so just curious if you could comment on your thoughts from the day before.

Could be he is just a young QB going against on of the best defenses in the entire NFL on a daily basis.

boogblaster
08-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the info.. Hope the O keeps up its passing-game..Im sure the running game will be there..Sounds like the D will be strong this year..we sure hope so..... GO CHIEFS....BOOG OUTT ....

htismaqe
08-09-2007, 08:05 AM
GoChiefs,

Thanks for your reports! They were great! :toast:

Can you elaborate on something that you gave a bit of attention to in yesterdays evening blurb where Croyle's stock seemes to be droping?

Seems as if though he had a good day today with the blitz and all, so just curious if you could comment on your thoughts from the day before.

Could be he is just a young QB going against on of the best defenses in the entire NFL on a daily basis.

It sounds to me like his stock is rising after last night.

Coogs
08-09-2007, 08:06 AM
It sounds to me like his stock is rising after last night.

That is what I would think as well.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Forget Svitek. The team obviously doesn't have confidence in him.

If we're stuck waiting until next year to get a REAL LT, I'd much rather play the season with McIntosh. Here's to hoping he makes it back soon...

And it is SO cool the Chiefs are running bootlegs!!!

Brodie is no Plummer, but he'll evetually be a good QB like Jake.

htismaqe
08-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Brodie is no Plummer, but he'll evetually be a good QB like Jake.

He's got infinitely more upstairs than Plummer...

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-09-2007, 08:32 AM

That still doesn't give us much!

Tribal Warfare
08-09-2007, 10:41 AM

and a nuclear weapon fo an arm

Bwana
08-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Nice: Thanks for the report.