PDA

View Full Version : Time for Sivitek to put up or shut up

PunkinDrublic
08-11-2007, 11:34 AM
I know the guy has been injured but I say if he can't step up and play well in place of Mcintosh he's never going to be a legit starter. Many great players have stepped up and proved their worth when a starter got injured and I think if he doesn't prove himself this pre season or however long Mcintosh is out I think we either move on or just keep him for depth until someone better comes along. My point is that this is his golden opportunity to prove he can be a starter.

greg63
08-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Agreed; time to play ball!

[Edit]
Although I don't recall him saying much of anything.

Demonpenz
08-11-2007, 11:35 AM
i agree if he doesn't do well cut his ass. what a drip!

milkman
08-11-2007, 11:39 AM

[Edit]

Right.

Can someone enlighten us?

PunkinDrublic
08-11-2007, 11:44 AM

[Edit]

I didn't mean to imply that he's been saying anything I just see this as a good opportunity to see where this guy stands as far as ability. I just hope Herm isn't stupid enough to keep him around if he underperforms. I'm certainly rooting for the guy to do well so hopefully he'll step up.

alanm
08-11-2007, 11:46 AM
i agree if he doesn't do well cut his ass. what a drip!
I think the same could be said for Sampson as well. So far all those 2 have been is dead weight on the roster.

nychief
08-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Has he really had another opportunity? I think not. Lets also not forget he is a converted DL, no excuses - agreed - but he is a baby at the hardest position. Lets be patient. I mean we have waited 40 yrs -

PunkinDrublic
08-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Has he really had another opportunity? I think not. Lets also not forget he is a converted DL, no excuses - agreed - but he is a baby at the hardest position. Lets be patient. I mean we have waited 40 yrs -

I disagree he's had time to learn the position in NFL europe and he's been with us a couple of years. He's got the entire preseason to prove himself and I say if he can't do it, move on.

Pitt Gorilla
08-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Yeah, if he doesn't play well immediately, cut him. I mean, he's taking up so much cap room and everything and we've determined that he should break out now or never.

PunkinDrublic
08-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Yeah, if he doesn't play well immediately, cut him. I mean, he's taking up so much cap room and everything and we've determined that he should break out now or never.

Cap room isn't the issue. Jordan Black was no cap buster.

milkman
08-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Cap room isn't the issue. Jordan Black was no cap buster.

The difference is that Black played OL in college.

He had experience and should have been able to learn and adjust more quickly.

Svitek came into the NFL and started from scratch, and you're expecting him to learn from one season of NFLE, and a couple of NFL seasons of practice.

That is really a tall order.

Line Judge
08-11-2007, 12:18 PM
I watched nine practice sessions at this years training camp. I had my binoculars focused on Svitek a lot during the 11 on 11s. I thought he was perfomming better the McIntosh on many plays. The high school football coach standing beside me during the practice thought Svitek was very good also. Of course this was against the Chiefs defense. He might not fair so well in the real world. I would not bet against him being our LT of the future. He was the best LT in NFL Europe last year. A first string member of their All Star team. All pro Brian Waters went through Europe too. Svitek is one tough Czechoslovakian nut. I think he will do OK.

Demonpenz
08-11-2007, 12:23 PM

quoted for truth

nychief
08-11-2007, 12:27 PM
I disagree he's had time to learn the position in NFL europe and he's been with us a couple of years. He's got the entire preseason to prove himself and I say if he can't do it, move on.

Oh you mean he has had the opportunity in training camp? I am glad to hear your "tough love" approach but - this preseason will be the first time he has played any real time.

alanm
08-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Oh you mean he has had the opportunity in training camp? I am glad to hear your "tough love" approach but - this preseason will be the first time he has played any real time.
I think the real reason with the lack of patience with Switek is because he's always f*cking hurt. Except when he's over in NFLE. And Sampson for that matter too. Herm doesn't have much love for guys always on the injury list either.

Mr Luzcious
08-11-2007, 12:38 PM
I think the real reason with the lack of patience with Switek is because he's always f*cking hurt. Except when he's over in NFLE. And Sampson for that matter too. Herm doesn't have much love for guys always on the injury list either.

Actually, IIRC, he's only been hurt once.

el borracho
08-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Obviously, it would be best if Svitek played so well that McIntosh never gets his job back but, realistically, it is a bit early to drop the guy if that doesn't happen. Sampson, on the other hand, really needs to do something this year to convice me why he is still on the team.

go bo
08-11-2007, 12:51 PM
wasn't he a defensive lineman before the chiefs switched him to ot?

as i recall, some guy named waters was a d-lineman before he was switched to og and after awhile he went to the pro bowl, didn't he?

from all accounts i've seen, svitek has the skills to play lt, it's his temper that's causing problems...

Chief Faithful
08-11-2007, 12:52 PM
I think the same could be said for Sampson as well. So far all those 2 have been is dead weight on the roster.

Sampson had two chances and failed. I think that is why Turley and Terry are ahead of him and Sampson is now being tried as a Guard. IMO Sampson has proved he cannot do the job and it is time to let Taylor take his spot to see if he can develop.

Svitek now has the same opportunity. The time is now to prove he can get the job done.

milkman
08-11-2007, 12:54 PM

as i recall, some guy named waters was a d-lineman before he was switched to og and after awhile he went to the pro bowl, didn't he?

from all accounts i've seen, svitek has the skills to play lt, it's his temper that's causing problems...

I thought Waters was a TE.

Chief Faithful
08-11-2007, 12:55 PM

I hope Svitek can duplicate what Waters did, which was to run with the opportunity when it finally came. If Svitek can prove himself this preseason I say make him the starter, if not he needs to be replaced.

el borracho
08-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Waters was a TE, the Chiefs switched him to C and then G.

PunkinDrublic
08-11-2007, 12:56 PM
The difference is that Black played OL in college.

He had experience and should have been able to learn and adjust more quickly.

Svitek came into the NFL and started from scratch, and you're expecting him to learn from one season of NFLE, and a couple of NFL seasons of practice.

That is really a tall order.

Maybe it is a tall order but I am not a big fan of players who reach the professional level and are asked to learn a new position. If they can do it and it works out fine but I don't like the idea of being patient with a project player. Like I said I'm definately rooting for him to do it but if I'm being harsh it's because I don't put much stock in players trying to learn a new position at the professional level. There's so much technique and fundamentals to learn at the professional level that it's hard enough for someone who played OL in college to learn, much less someone who never played OL in college.

PunkinDrublic
08-11-2007, 12:57 PM

More often than not it doesn't work. I hope Sivitek beats the odds.

milkman
08-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Maybe it is a tall order but I am not a big fan of players who reach the professional level and are asked to learn a new position. If they can do it and it works out fine but I don't like the idea of being patient with a project player. Like I said I'm definately rooting for him to do it but if I'm being harsh it's because I don't put much stock in players trying to learn a new position at the professional level. There's so much technique and fundamentals to learn at the professional level that it's hard enough for someone who played OL in college to learn, much less someone who never played OL in college.

I agree with you.

But since the Chiefs commited to this plan, I think they have to show some patience and give him time to learn and develop.

I do know that he has incredibly quick feet, and that is going to serve him well when he is up against speed rushers.

But it still comes down to learning fundamentala, and he's learning at the most difficult position on the OL.

3 years isn't enough time, IMO.

RealSNR
08-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Yeah! If he doesn't perform tonight, let's cut him! We can replace him with... uh... um... :spock:

Svitek is GOING to see the field this year, guys. Whether it's because McIntosh's injury is still nagging or in mop-up duty, or maybe because he's been playing great. Who knows. All I know is he's locked in as the backup left tackle, and we can't change that. We may as well be patient with him this year and if he sucks, he'll be replaced.

As for Sampson, though, that guy is getting beaten out by someone like Turley. Hell, even Herb Taylor is making more plays than him at RT. If you want to talk about lost expectations and dead weight, look no further than Sampson. He's been hanging around for far too long. We have the guys to replace him at backup RT, so I would say it's definitely HIS moment to put up or shut up.

Rain Man
08-11-2007, 01:09 PM
I've been a Svitek backer since 2005.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=122597&highlight=svitek

Please ignore my comment about Sims.

Ultra Peanut
08-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Has he been talking?

FAX
08-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Has he been talking?

With his fists.

FAX

Demonpenz
08-11-2007, 03:55 PM
will's mouth is writing checks his pass blocking skills can't cash

Chief Faithful
08-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Yeah! If he doesn't perform tonight, let's cut him! We can replace him with... uh... um... :spock:

SNR, you are the only person to even suggest cutting based on the performance of the first preseason game.

Ultra Peanut
08-11-2007, 07:42 PM
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the Talking Can
08-11-2007, 07:57 PM
maybe Svitek thought he was filming an instructional video..."Things You Shouldn't Do as a LT If You Want To Play In The NFL"

RealSNR
08-11-2007, 08:07 PM
maybe Svitek thought he was filming an instructional video..."Things You Shouldn't Do as a LT If You Want To Play In The NFL"THAT'S THE WAY TO GO, HUH? [/Herm]

JBucc
08-11-2007, 08:12 PM
The new NFL.com (http://beta.nfl.com/)

JBucc
08-11-2007, 08:14 PM
hmmmmmm....I meant to post that in the game thread. Oh well.

Deberg_1990
08-11-2007, 08:16 PM
I wonder how long before we see a " Time for Croyle to put up or shut up " Thread????

the Talking Can
08-11-2007, 08:28 PM
I wonder how long before we see a " Time for Croyle to put up or shut up " Thread????

2nd quarter of our first game...

Eleazar
08-11-2007, 08:43 PM
SNR, you are the only person to even suggest cutting based on the performance of the first preseason game.

Actually Mecca said that during the game thread.

Chief Faithful
08-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Actually Mecca said that during the game thread.

Thanks, I was getting confused by some of the responses. A response like that from Mecca should be expected.

Svitek didn't look good tonight, but I'm only going to worry if he doesn't improve each game. If this was the last preseason game then that performance would be a big problem.