PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs rookie will be in spotlight tonight

Mecca
08-11-2007, 04:08 PM
More Teicher I know how you guys love him...

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/227496.html

Chiefs rookie will be in spotlight tonight
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

CLEVELAND | After Tyron Brackenridge came from behind a receiver to knock down yet another pass at a recent Chiefs practice, his head coach shouted one of his favorite practice-field expressions of encouragement.

“I see you, 34,” Herm Edwards said, referring to Brackenridge by his uniform number.

Edwards generally saves that expression for his star players. Brackenridge is no star, at least not yet.

He’s a rookie free agent who is playing well enough as the nickel back that the Chiefs have so far resisted signing a veteran to take Brackenridge’s position.

While it’s not unusual for a rookie free agent to be a sensation in offseason practices in training camp, as Brackenridge has, most of them fold under the bright lights when the preseason begins.

That’s why the Chiefs in tonight’s preseason opener against the Browns are as eager to look at Brackenridge as perhaps any of their other young players other than quarterback Brodie Croyle.

“I don’t think the game will be too big for him,” said Chuck Cook, the Chiefs director of college scouting. “He’s a great story. At Washington State, he’s played against some good teams. He had a real good game against USC. He’s played in the big arena before. He won’t flinch at all.

“We knew that about him coming in here. We thought he was good enough to take him in the sixth or seventh round, but he slipped through and we went after him hard in the free-agent market.”

Edwards has an affinity for undrafted rookies. He was one himself with Philadelphia as he started what would be a successful NFL playing career in the 1970s.

Beyond that, he sees some of himself in Brackenridge.

“I’ve got a feel for corners because I played the position,” Edwards said. “I kind of know what they’re thinking. That probably gives me a better sense of what he’s about.

“This kid is kind of similar to me. He asks great questions. He’s a student of the game. He learns the game quickly. He’s very organized as far as his preparation. He’s coachable. He’s a tough guy. I don’t think he’s missed a practice.

“If you’ve got all of those things, you’ve got a chance. If he keeps doing what he’s been doing, he’ll be fine.”

The Chiefs intended to draft at least one cornerback and perhaps two this year but came away empty, leaving them obviously short at the position behind veteran starters Ty Law and Patrick Surtain.

They then signed Brackenridge, a productive player at Washington State who wasn’t drafted because of a slow 40-yard dash time of 4.7 at the combine.

“He plays faster than that speed, and we knew it,” Cook said. “He made plays at Washington State. He’s got good ball skills. He’s a tough guy and mentally tough.

“Some guys aren’t workout guys. Tamba Hali is one of the worst workout guys ever, but he’s a good football player.”

Brackenridge stood out at the postdraft rookie camp, easing the Chiefs’ fears about the position.

“I put it right on him: ‘You’re playing nickel back. If you’re the guy, I don’t have to bring in any veteran corners to be our nickel back.’ I want to see if he can handle that,” Edwards said.

“He has a lot of anxiety, but that’s good. The more he plays, the more he’ll settle down and gain confidence in what he’s doing.”

Brackenridge acknowledged he would have to calm himself before tonight’s game.

“I’m expecting a fast-paced game,” he said. “My mind is going to be moving a mile a minute. I’ve got to relax myself out there. That’s what I did when we (practiced) against the Vikings. I tried not to worry too much and get caught up in my anxiety.

“I can’t really say how things are going to be when that time comes. I want to be able to go into the game relaxed and focused and not be bouncing around or lose control of myself. That’s going to be a challenge for me, to show them I can be a pro.”

Nerves, too, are not unusual even for more heralded rookies. Surtain was a second-round draft choice of the Dolphins in 1998 but said he was so rattled in his first preseason game that he was completely lost.

“My rookie year, I had great (offseason practices) and a great training camp,” he said. “Preseason came, and I played the nickel back also, and the game was just so fast for me. I couldn’t keep up.”

The Chiefs don’t expect perfection from Brackenridge tonight. They understand that nickel back is a new position for him and there’s much to learn. But they would like him to validate what they’ve seen from him in the offseason and training camp.

“They know I’ve never done this before, but they also know I’m picking it up fast,” Brackenridge said. “I’m not making big, huge mistakes over and over again. Nothing really major that’s going to kill us.

“All they’re asking is that I keep getting better and keep building off what I do. If I make a mistake one day, I can’t make the same mistake later. As long as I correct it later in practice, that’s good.”

unothadeal
08-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Hopefully he makes the team so he can get that 14,000 back

Deberg_1990
08-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Fear the FRO

Mr. Flopnuts
08-11-2007, 04:14 PM
I'd love to see this kid make the squad and earn a starting position at some point. He works hard, is tough, and he gives a shit. No sense of entitlement from this kid. I'm pulling for him big time.

Mecca
08-11-2007, 04:16 PM
I think it comes from when I grew up and my age but anytime I see anyone wearing 34 especially a DB on the Chiefs I always think of Dale Carter.

Thig Lyfe
08-11-2007, 04:16 PM
He's also an excellent hip-hop ballet dancer.

stevieray
08-11-2007, 04:28 PM
I know how you guys love him...

how thoughtful and kind.

Tribal Warfare
08-11-2007, 04:53 PM

I thought that was a River Dancing with hip-hop style

Thig Lyfe
08-11-2007, 04:57 PM
I thought that was a River Dancing with hip-hop style

Eh, something like that.

Mecca
08-11-2007, 04:58 PM
He better hope he makes the team seeing as Ty Law wanted to fine him.....he'll come home from camp in debt.

el borracho
08-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Hopefully he makes the team so he can get that 14,000 back
What?

el borracho
08-11-2007, 10:43 PM
He better hope he makes the team seeing as Ty Law wanted to fine him.....he'll come home from camp in debt.
What?

el borracho
08-11-2007, 10:44 PM
What?

Coach
08-11-2007, 10:46 PM
I didn't see much of Brackenridge, other than the fact that I know he was probably playing part of the time on the nickelback.

The one that really got my attention was Dimitri Patterson.

el borracho
08-11-2007, 10:48 PM
The one that really got my attention was Dimitri Patterson.
What?

Sanka
08-11-2007, 10:49 PM
I have faith in Herm's ability to scout young talent, especially secondary talent.