PDA

View Full Version : Doing my own Oil changes from now on....

chasedude
08-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Last Tuesday I had a local Express lube place change my oil. Later that week I noticed my Nissan Truck started to fail at 2500rpm rolling down the highway.

I've had problems in the past with my Cap and Rotor corroding and not firing. I switched them out but still had the problem. I called multiple friends all with their own opinions, clogged fuel filter, Clutch slipping, etc.

I finally put 2 and 2 together and checked my Oil stick and sure enough those idiots put a 1/2 quart over in my engine! I drained the extra oil and no problem anymore.

I guess the engine is smarter than I thought about the right Oil pressure, too much and it won't run. I usually go to Quik or Express lubes for the convenience. I will be doing my own Oil changes from now on.

My question is to you all. Should I call the quik lube and complain? Which they'll try to tempt me with a free oil change to get me to come back, or do I just let the situation go and forget about it?

StcChief
08-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Synthetic / good filter. total $30. good for 8-10K

ChiefsfaninPA
08-13-2007, 09:20 AM
I know dealerships are super expensive compared to the lube centers, but if they fug up and or fug your engine up, your warranty will cover it. I don't change my own oil I always let the stealership do it. For me it is worth the cost.

Abba-Dabba
08-13-2007, 09:21 AM
A 1/2 quart caused that kind of problem. NFW. You sure it was only a half a quart?

Go with Amsoil or a BG Products oil. IIRC 25K on the Amsoil and 15K on the BG Products.

Skip Towne
08-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Oil doesn't wear out, it gets dirty. And 3000 miles is as dirty as I let it get.

StcChief
08-13-2007, 09:27 AM
A 1/2 quart caused that kind of problem. NFW. You sure it was only a half a quart?

Go with Amsoil or a BG Products oil. IIRC 25K on the Amsoil and 15K on the BG Products.

Yeah Amsoil is great stuff. Just giving the Mobil one lower cost approach. The have a extended syn for $25 which is good for 15K, filter change in between.

chasedude
08-13-2007, 09:28 AM

It may have been more than a 1/2 quart. This morning when I crawled under the truck to drain the excess I didn't take an exact measurement.

I've had the "lube" place put in Valvoline Max Life 10/30 in for me the las t few changes because my trucks nearing 100k. Changing religiously every 3k miles.

I see these synthetics will last longer overtime. Saving me even more money in the long run.

Kylo Ren
08-13-2007, 09:28 AM
What year is your truck and how many miles does it have on it?

beach tribe
08-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Last Tuesday I had a local Express lube place change my oil. Later that week I noticed my Nissan Truck started to fail at 2500rpm rolling down the highway.

I've had problems in the past with my Cap and Rotor corroding and not firing. I switched them out but still had the problem. I called multiple friends all with their own opinions, clogged fuel filter, Clutch slipping, etc.

I finally put 2 and 2 together and checked my Oil stick and sure enough those idiots put a 1/2 quart over in my engine! I drained the extra oil and no problem anymore.

I guess the engine is smarter than I thought about the right Oil pressure, too much and it won't run. I usually go to Quik or Express lubes for the convenience. I will be doing my own Oil changes from now on.

My question is to you all. Should I call the quik lube and complain? Which they'll try to tempt me with a free oil change to get me to come back, or do I just let the situation go and forget about it?
They did the exact same thing to me,but not nearly as bad as the time a grease monkey told me my engine was blown.So I buy a new one from him.The new one seemed to run the same as the one I had before. So I had a friend check the numbers,and it was the same damn engine.I told him I was gonna take him to court,and he refunded my money.I guess I got it fixed for free,but I sold the jap crap got a chevy truck,and now I do all my own work.Unless you know them DO NOT TRUST THEM WITH SHAT.

Dayze
08-13-2007, 09:31 AM
my wife's new beetle has a recommended oil change every 10K after the first 5k miles.
I was nearly floored when hearing this; I"m used to the 3months, or 3k miles, rule of thumb.

granted, it'll probalby be a $70 oil change at the dealership, but still....10k; I was surprised.

chasedude
08-13-2007, 09:35 AM
What year is your truck and how many miles does it have on it?

97 Nissan XE 2x4 99k miles

chasedude
08-13-2007, 09:39 AM
They did the exact same thing to me,but not nearly as bad as the time a grease monkey told me my engine was blown.So I buy a new one from him.The new one seemed to run the same as the one I had before. So I had a friend check the numbers,and it was the same damn engine.I told him I was gonna take him to court,and he refunded my money.I guess I got it fixed for free,but I sold the jap crap got a chevy truck,and now I do all my own work.Unless you know them DO NOT TRUST THEM WITH SHAT.

Wow, screwed you with no Vasoline. It's good to have friends around with some knowledge in that field.

I've been screwed before at another lube place. They forgot to put my Fill cap back on! Made them buy me a new one and went to another place.

This last event was the last straw for me and "Quik Screw" places.

morphius
08-13-2007, 09:40 AM
my wife's new beetle has a recommended oil change every 10K after the first 5k miles.
I was nearly floored when hearing this; I"m used to the 3months, or 3k miles, rule of thumb.

granted, it'll probalby be a $70 oil change at the dealership, but still....10k; I was surprised.
Why on Earth would you have the dealership do anything to the car?

ChiefsfaninPA
08-13-2007, 09:47 AM

I do because I don't change oil. If they mess up my engine it is easier to deal with them then the oil and lube place. Plus if they fug up, your warranty will cover it. I am sure using the oil and lube they will find some way that you voided the warranty.

Lzen
08-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Just curious, what was the name of the express lube place? I used to have Jiffy Lube do mine. Had similar experiences with them. They are crooked as can be. Nowadays, I just change my own oil and do any work that I am capable of myself.

Dayze
08-13-2007, 10:13 AM
simply so I'm covered from a warranty standpoint. In the event something goes wrong with the guts that would be catastrophic to the engine & my pocket book (ie; crankshaft; cracked head, etc) I can at least show via the dealers records I've done everything required per the maintence schedule, so they're less likely to squirm out of the manufacturers warranty / responsibility.

Example:
I had a very, very, very bad experience with a similar issue in which my brand new Kawasaki ZX-6R in 2001 - at about 4K miles suddenly lost power. At first I thought it may be something wrong with the fuel pump/line, etc - but; took/trailered it in to the dealer (which shall remain nameless) and after about a week and a full tear down discovered a pea sized hole in the piston. No worries, I thought. It's covered under warranty (1 year, unlimited mileage). however, since I had been performing my own oil changes/maintence up to that point (swapping out the break in oil, chain tension/lube, oil/filter,) and I had no way to 'prove' the scehduled maintenence was done, they didn't cover it. It was only after a lengthy 4 month battle back & forth did they correct it under warranty.
....I subsequently crashed it 6 months after getting it fixed.

So, ..taking the Beetle to the Dealer for a 10K oil change & filter and paying a bit more is worth it from the stanpoint of avoiding a potential pain in the A**.

...a used car, such as my malibu....I do the stuff myself.

Dayze
08-13-2007, 10:15 AM
I do because I don't change oil. If they mess up my engine it is easier to deal with them then the oil and lube place. Plus if they fug up, your warranty will cover it. I am sure using the oil and lube they will find some way that you voided the warranty.

yup. :clap:

somethings are just worth paying for in my opinion.
such as 'moving'...next time i'm paying someone to move my stuff. that was a pain in the A** of epic proportions

morphius
08-13-2007, 10:16 AM
simply so I'm covered from a warranty standpoint. In the event something goes wrong with the guts that would be catastrophic to the engine & my pocket book (ie; crankshaft; cracked head, etc) I can at least show via the dealers records I've done everything required per the maintence schedule, so they're less likely to squirm out of the manufacturers warranty / responsibility.

Example:
I had a very, very, very bad experience with a similar issue in which my brand new Kawasaki ZX-6R in 2001 - at about 4K miles suddenly lost power. At first I thought it may be something wrong with the fuel pump/line, etc - but; took/trailered it in to the dealer (which shall remain nameless) and after about a week and a full tear down discovered a pea sized hole in the piston. No worries, I thought. It's covered under warranty (1 year, unlimited mileage). however, since I had been performing my own oil changes/maintence up to that point (swapping out the break in oil, chain tension/lube, oil/filter,) and I had no way to 'prove' the scehduled maintenence was done, they didn't cover it. It was only after a lengthy 4 month battle back & forth did they correct it under warranty.
....I subsequently crashed it 6 months after getting it fixed.

So, ..taking the Beetle to the Dealer for a 10K oil change & filter and paying a bit more is worth it from the stanpoint of avoiding a potential pain in the A**.

...a used car, such as my malibu....I do the stuff myself.
ahhh, thats why you keep the paperwork.

Wile_E_Coyote
08-13-2007, 10:17 AM
I change my own oil, but I'm not good about greasing

Bob Dole
08-13-2007, 10:25 AM

Bob Dole takes his to the local Mazda dealership to get the oil changed. It's $30, Bob Dole gets a loaner while it's there, and they wash the damned thing before Bob Dole picks it up.

chasedude
08-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Just curious, what was the name of the express lube place? I used to have Jiffy Lube do mine. Had similar experiences with them. They are crooked as can be. Nowadays, I just change my own oil and do any work that I am capable of myself.

It was Steve's Quik Lube in Hiawatha KS... beware! Stay Away!

Dayze
08-13-2007, 10:31 AM
hate taking my V-Star in for an oil change; but I don't want to f/ with it as it involves taking off the exhaust on the forward cylinder/head in order to get to the oil filter. I could get an oil filter relocation kti to void this during each oil change...but 's around $200 I think.

again...just another service that's 'worth it' from a PITA recudtion standpoint.

I wish the dealership Bob Dole take his vehicle to would change my v-star oil...simply to get a free bike wash. washing the bike = no fun.

Frosty
08-13-2007, 10:36 AM
they wash the damned thing before Bob Dole picks it up.

Heh. When I (rarely) take my car or pickup into the dealership, they are instructed to not wash my vehicle. No high school dropout with a sponge and dirty towel is touching my vehicle and installing swirls into the paint. :harumph:

BIG_DADDY
08-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Never go to to one of those quick lube shops they hire retards that get stoned on their breaks.

Rooster
08-13-2007, 10:46 AM
I've had the "lube" place put in Valvoline Max Life 10/30 in for me the las t few changes because my trucks nearing 100k. Changing religiously every 3k miles.

I don't want to hijack the thread but is there anything to these "Max Life" oils out there? My truck is approaching the mileage that Valvoline Max Life would begin but I didn't know if there was anything scientifically better about these lubs or is it just a marketing ploy. I know what they are supposed to do I guess I was curious of testimonies on these oils working as advertised. Any of you motorheads out there have info?

chasedude
08-13-2007, 10:54 AM
I don't want to hijack the thread but is there anything to these "Max Life" oils out there? My truck is approaching the mileage that Valvoline Max Life would begin but I didn't know if there was anything scientifically better about these lubs or is it just a marketing ploy. I know what they are supposed to do I guess I was curious of testimonies on these oils working as advertised. Any of you motorheads out there have info?

My "Quik Screw" guy recommended it for me since I'm over the 75k mark. Plus there's been a $7 rebate the last few times I've been in for the change. Both of those points made me decide to go ahead and get the more expensive oil. I'm no mechanic myself. I can switch a few easily accessible parts out and save me some money. I'd be curious on what others recommend. SaggySack and StcChief both mentioned that the Amsoil was good stuff.

svuba
08-13-2007, 11:25 AM

Find a dealership with a good service dept. and there is no reason to take it anywhere else.

My Honda dealer is quick, and cheap with the oil change, and they will do any warranty work at the same time - no charge, nohassle.

HemiEd
08-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Agreed, I don't trust the caliber of labor they hire at those places, to work on my hard earned investment. I do find it very odd that a 1/2 quart of oil would cause any kind of issue though.

chasedude
08-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Agreed, I don't trust the caliber of labor they hire at those places, to work on my hard earned investment. I do find it very odd that a 1/2 quart of oil would cause any kind of issue though.

It had me stumped too until I figured out the problem started right after the oil change. Drained the excess oil, problem solved!

Nissan's are weird. I lost my gas cap once and the thing wouldn't run either. Found out it had something to do with a vacuum in fuel line. No gas cap, no vacuum, no ignition.

HemiEd
08-13-2007, 11:53 AM
It had me stumped too until I figured out the problem started right after the oil change. Drained the excess oil, problem solved!

Nissan's are weird. I lost my gas cap once and the thing wouldn't run either. Found out it had something to do with a vacuum in fuel line. No gas cap, no vacuum, no ignition.

that is weird, no wonder they don't sell well down in Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Arkansas. :D

Simply Red
08-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Bob Dole takes his to the local Mazda dealership to get the oil changed. It's $30, Bob Dole gets a loaner while it's there, and they wash the damned thing before Bob Dole picks it up.
ROFL

chasedude
08-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Well I was WRONG! On my way into work this morning about a 20 mile drive @ 65mph everything worked great after I drained the excess oil this morning.

I just returned from lunch and started having the same issues again, No power past 2500 rpm's. I'm way past my league on nailing this one down. I'm calling around now for shops that will help me out but they're booked for a week.

Anyone have any idea WTF is wrong with my truck?

Dayze
08-13-2007, 01:29 PM
does it happend @ 2500RPM regardless of gear?

is it carburated or FI?

chasedude
08-13-2007, 01:34 PM
does it happend @ 2500RPM regardless of gear?

is it carburated or FI?

It happens @ 2500 rpm's in all gears and it is fuel injected.

Skip Towne
08-13-2007, 01:42 PM
It might have a piece of rice stuck in the injector regulator.

Dayze
08-13-2007, 01:48 PM
hmm. that's interseting.

my first guess would be an issue of not being able to supply enough fuel much beyond idle range etc...but the fact that this only started at, or just after your dreaded oil change nightmare confuses me.

I'd be curious to hear how this one turns out.

HemiEd
08-13-2007, 02:00 PM
It happens @ 2500 rpm's in all gears and it is fuel injected.

If it hits at exactly 2500 rpm, not around 2500, it about has to be electrical.

Was there an oil viscosity change made by the quick lube place? I don't follow Nissan's too closely, but a lot of engines have had oil pressure protection on them for years. Does your's have a gauge? If so, is it reading about what it used to.
It could also be coincedence and totally unrelated.

Bwana
08-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Valvoline Max life is great stuff for what it's made for and really can help with the higher mileage engines. If you have a small leak, it will seal it 95% of the time as well. The formula contains extra detergents and some seal swelling agents in the product among other things. It isn't some kind of a "magic bullet" and won't replace regular oil changes and preventative maintenance, but it is a quality product. Regarding

Synthetic oils: They are also a great product, but I wouldn't recommend using them on older engines if there is any possibility of any cracked or brittle seals within the system. The oil will find them and your engine with leak like Old Faithful. I also don't like an across the board theory that some of them claim to be good for 15k miles either. There are a lot of variables that can influence oil life. If it evolves “normal driving only, it should be safe. On the other hand, in a truck for example, if a person is out doing a lot of boonie bashing on dirt roads that oil NOT is going to last 15k miles. Extreme temps also can have an adverse effect on oils. Bottom line, oil changes are cheap compared to replacing and engine, so error on the side of caution.

chasedude
08-13-2007, 02:19 PM
If it hits at exactly 2500 rpm, not around 2500, it about has to be electrical.

Was there an oil viscosity change made by the quick lube place? I don't follow Nissan's too closely, but a lot of engines have had oil pressure protection on them for years. Does your's have a gauge? If so, is it reading about what it used to.
It could also be coincedence and totally unrelated.

It's almost right on 2500 rpm's on the spot which lets me roll @ 58 mph down the highway. For shits and grins, I just went out and pulled one of my plugs. All kinds of black residue all over it. I'm on my way now to go pick up some new plugs to see if it'll help any. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Edit: forgot to answer your other questions... there is no Oil Press gauge and the same oil was used this time as last time in the change.

Silock
08-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Synthetic / good filter. total $30. good for 8-10K

Yup. I change my oil once a year. Of course, my car is 5 years old and only has 40,000 miles on it, so take that for what it's worth lol

Skip Towne
08-13-2007, 02:24 PM
It's almost right on 2500 rpm's on the spot which lets me roll @ 58 mph down the highway. For shits and grins, I just went out and pulled one of my plugs. All kinds of black residue all over it. I'm on my way now to go pick up some new plugs to see if it'll help any. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Edit: forgot to answer your other questions... there is no Oil Press gauge and the same oil was used this time as last time in the change.
I'd change the plug wires while I was at it. They can cause what you are getting.

Bwana
08-13-2007, 02:32 PM
I'd change the plug wires while I was at it. They can cause what you are getting.

As can a bad coil, a toasted voltage regulator, or any condensation under the distributor cap among a bunch of other things. Pull the cap and make sure there is no condensation in there just to be sure. Also check all your wire connections to make sure something didn't get knocked loose. Skip does make a great point regarding the wires as well.

chasedude
03-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Update!

After months of trying to diagnose this problem I finally have it figured out. I ended up buying a ODB-II scanner I discovered I had error code p0100 showing up. I searched the net and found that my MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor was failing. I purchased a new one for a rather substantial fee (Damn Nissan :cuss:) and installed. No more problems with the engine now.

The reason I'm posting an update on this is for the gearheads and anyone else searching for a similar problem.

Sure-Oz
03-12-2008, 12:57 PM
sometimes i let my honda get up to 5k over instead of changing at 3k...so far so good

chasedude
03-12-2008, 01:00 PM
sometimes i let my honda get up to 5k over instead of changing at 3k...so far so good

I hear tell some of the synthetics last longer so you can stretch it out a bit.

Sure-Oz
03-12-2008, 01:02 PM
I hear tell some of the synthetics last longer so you can stretch it out a bit.

Yeah i do that with my honda, quite a bit lately but i dont get much over 5, thats usually me pushing it. My gfs i get changed every 3-4k, usually 4k.

MTG#10
03-12-2008, 01:03 PM
I just had my oil changed at Jiffy Lube and the sticker they put on my windshield says next service due is in 5000 miles. They didnt use synthetic either. I think maybe the government has something to do with this.

Sure-Oz
03-12-2008, 01:45 PM
I just had my oil changed at Jiffy Lube and the sticker they put on my windshield says next service due is in 5000 miles. They didnt use synthetic either. I think maybe the government has something to do with this.

i hate jiffy lube, they always try to sell sell sell....

i have been going to the same small pro lube type place since i was a kid, they always do 3k there and no hassles.

jjjayb
03-12-2008, 01:45 PM

Better service and about the same price as the place that just about screwed up his car.

BigMeatballDave
03-12-2008, 02:55 PM
I hear tell some of the synthetics last longer so you can stretch it out a bit.I use synthetic. I change it every 10,000 miles.

Brock
03-12-2008, 02:56 PM
All my cars leak oil, so I'm constantly putting new oil in.

Radar Chief
03-12-2008, 02:59 PM

Sounds like that patented Harley fresh oil flow system. ;)

chasedude
03-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Better service and about the same price as the place that just about screwed up his car.
The oil change didn't screw up my car. At the time I created this thread I thought it did. They did put 1/2 quart more oil in my engine than they were supposed to but it wasn't that bad.

My Mass Air Flow Sensor was my culprit.

Stewie
03-12-2008, 03:53 PM
I use synthetic. I change it every 10,000 miles.

I had an Acura that I ran 15k between oil changes. I changed the oil myself and used 4 qts. std. motor oil, 1 qt. synthetic. No problems at all. I sold it at 200K because I was tired of driving it after 12 years.

KCChiefsMan
03-12-2008, 04:05 PM
mechanics are the worst, they'll screw you every which way. I was sitting in the lobby once at a quick lube place and they told this girl she needed a new air filter, she asked how much $$? and he said about $15, they go to the register once it's done and he tells her that it costs $150 for the air filter instead. She ends up buying it.

Bugeater
03-12-2008, 05:10 PM

I used to have a Pontiac Sunbird that had the perpetual oil change thing going, hell it was so bad that one time after my neighbor changed his oil I took his old oil and put it in my car. It was just going to burn it up anyway.

Brock
03-12-2008, 05:14 PM
mechanics are the worst, they'll screw you every which way. I was sitting in the lobby once at a quick lube place and they told this girl she needed a new air filter, she asked how much $$? and he said about $15, they go to the register once it's done and he tells her that it costs $150 for the air filter instead. She ends up buying it.

That was a jiffy lube worker, not a mechanic.

munkey
03-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Update!

After months of trying to diagnose this problem I finally have it figured out. I ended up buying a ODB-II scanner I discovered I had error code p0100 showing up. I searched the net and found that my MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor was failing. I purchased a new one for a rather substantial fee (Damn Nissan :cuss:) and installed. No more problems with the engine now.

The reason I'm posting an update on this is for the gearheads and anyone else searching for a similar problem.

So it wasn't the retards at the lube place after all....hahahaha.

I'm sorry but I think it's funny...I go to a Jiffy Lube and have had no problems...Then again it helps to get to know the manager too. :-)

munkey
03-12-2008, 06:09 PM

BS...

Sorry but that is total BS..

BigMeatballDave
03-12-2008, 06:15 PM
mechanics are the worst, they'll screw you every which way. I was sitting in the lobby once at a quick lube place and they told this girl she needed a new air filter, she asked how much $$? and he said about $15, they go to the register once it's done and he tells her that it costs $150 for the air filter instead. She ends up buying it.These guys are NOT mechanics. Do not confuse them. It doesn't take much car knowledge to change your ****ing oil. I blame that girl for being ****ing retarded and paying $150 for a filter.

El Jefe
03-13-2008, 11:58 AM

LOL. Jiffy Lube workers are not mechanics. You want to see mechanics, come to our shop and we will show you people who are ASE and ATRA Certified and are real mechanics, not some street clown who smokes marijuana on their breaks. Believe me we have interviewed many of these guys, and unfortunately they are like bad apples they put a bad shadow on all mechanics.

People have been taken advantage of in so many ways by these places, when they come into a honest shop they come in expecting you to take advantage of them, it makes our job a lot harder. Especially in the transmission field, we deal with customers who have had their transmission rebuilt a year ago but the shop keeps telling them it's something different every time, and eventually they get so tired of dealing with it, they are willing to repay to have someone else do it. Nobody likes doing Warranty work, but when you take care of your customers they will come back and always tell people about you.

Anywhoo I have a hard time buying the whole she paid $150 when he told her $15, sounds a little fishy. I go to church with a guy who is a manager at a Jiffy Lube, and he said it's ridiculous what the other managers charge people for. They will replace things that dont need replaced and just run the bill up on people. My dad has never done that to anyone and has owned his shop since 82 and he will never do that to anyone, even if he has to close the doors down.

KC Kings
03-13-2008, 12:24 PM
There are a lot of expert oppinions that say 3k is too early to change oil, but the low miles is great for the oil business.

I take mine to Good Year every 6,000 miles. I buy my tires from Good Year also which are a little higher than other places but they come with lifetime rotation and balance. I save coupons and get oil/fliter and rotation balance for 19.99. I don't like changing it myself because I don't have a truck and it is a pain to get the oil back to a recycle barrel.

LabRat38
03-13-2008, 12:29 PM
There are a lot of expert oppinions that say 3k is too early to change oil, but the low miles is great for the oil business.

I take mine to Good Year every 6,000 miles. I buy my tires from Good Year also which are a little higher than other places but they come with lifetime rotation and balance. I save coupons and get oil/fliter and rotation balance for 19.99. I don't like changing it myself because I don't have a truck and it is a pain to get the oil back to a recycle barrel.

Does your father know you pay someone to change your oil. He would be ashamed of you.