PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Chiefs Close to Deal with Larry Johnson

DaneMcCloud
08-13-2007, 02:41 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/229963.html

Chiefs close to deal with Larry Johnson
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

RIVER FALLS, Wis. | The Chiefs and Larry Johnson were closing in on agreement on a contract extension that could put him back in a Chiefs uniform in time for their third preseason game on Aug. 23 against New Orleans at Arrowhead Stadium.

Multiple sources told The Star today the sides had narrowed their once-considerable differences and a deal could be struck sometime this week.

One source indicated Johnson might be at Arrowhead Stadium for Thursday night’s game against Miami.

Publicly, Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson said he didn’t believe a deal was imminent.

“I’m cautiously optimistic a deal will get concluded, but exactly when I can’t tell you. I really can’t,” Peterson said. “I would say we’re still communicating. Are we real close? Not from where I sit.

“We’re still talking pretty much on a daily basis. There are things we’re still stuck on and I can’t say how long that’s going to take.”

Hammock Parties
08-13-2007, 02:42 PM
I have to say, this doesn't look good for Nick at all. He's the ONLY ONE reporting a deal isn't imminent.

JBucc
08-13-2007, 02:45 PM
I have to say, this doesn't look good for Nick at all. He's the ONLY ONE reporting a deal isn't imminent.Guess the hotdog vendor and the homeless guy who lives in the men's bathroom in section 124 aren't such reliable sources after all.

FloridaMan88
08-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Looks like Carl blinked first after watching the disgusting mess the offense put forth vs Cleveland without LJ. Yet another holdout situation that Carl is humiliated in and ultimately loses.

So now the Chiefs are going to give a huge contract to a RB coming off a 400+ carries season. Jamal Anderson anyone?

FloridaMan88
08-13-2007, 02:48 PM
I have to say, this doesn't look good for Nick at all. He's the ONLY ONE reporting a deal isn't imminent.

Athan being wrong about something? Wow that is shocking.

dshyne101
08-13-2007, 02:50 PM
I hope this is true because we really need LJ back on da team. 26 is cool but LJ is our man. Priest.......... well i just really dont see priest being 2 much of a factor even tho there are people who still thinks he is god on da field. LJ is the man and without him we have no shot sorry.
LJ, Bowe, Tony G, Croyle this is our offense like it or not. I hope this deal is done very soon. The D gone hold it down this year. But with no LJ, D.Bowe cant do it by himself.

FAX
08-13-2007, 02:53 PM

Don't give up hope, Mr. GoChiefs.

Nick may yet find a way to screw up this deal.

FAX

HemiEd
08-13-2007, 02:53 PM
This is all bullshit. Nick Athan said they were not even close.

morphius
08-13-2007, 02:54 PM

I have to say, this does look normal for Nick Athan. He's the ONLY ONE reporting a deal isn't imminent.

Reerun_KC
08-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Uh oh, is WPI credibility sinking faster than the Titanic?

Or did they ever have any to begin with?

morphius
08-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Uh oh, is WPI credibility sinking faster than the Titanic?

Or did they ever have any to begin with?
It has to just be bad luck, who else could hit quicksand on the bottom of the ocean floor.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Brutal.

JohninGpt
08-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Guess the hotdog vendor and the homeless guy who lives in the men's bathroom in section 124 aren't such reliable sources after all.
I though Carl leaked all of his "information" in the section 124 men's room.

JBucc
08-13-2007, 03:15 PM
I though Carl leaked all of his "information" in the section 124 men's room.Must be Carl disguised as a homeless guy then.

Micjones
08-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Hopefully this is done sooner than later, but this honestly doesn't sound like new news...

JohninGpt
08-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Must be Carl disguised as a homeless guy then.
Na, the homeless guy just lives at the sorce of the leak.

orange
08-13-2007, 03:24 PM

Imagine the "TOLD YOU SO" points if he's right, though!

Direckshun
08-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Pay the man.

5 year deal, $50 million. $20 million guaranteed.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Imagine the "TOLD YOU SO" points if he's right, though!

Nick blew the doors off on Priest's return. No one ever cares when we get something right.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Pay the man.

5 year deal, $50 million. $20 million guaranteed.

I'll be shocked if LJ sniffs $20 million guaranteed. Carl is a lowballing bastard.

MGRS13
08-13-2007, 03:34 PM
It'll be a back loaded contract with his agent saying he signed an 8 year 100 billion dollar contract or some crap like that. He'll end up with somewhere around 16-19 million guaranteed.

Donger
08-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Nick blew the doors off on Priest's return. No one ever cares when we get something right.

Not unlike CIA.

morphius
08-13-2007, 03:39 PM
eh, when you throw that much crap at the wall eventually something has to stick. 2 things right, 100 things wrong, well, it isn't an impressive stat.

C-Mac
08-13-2007, 03:45 PM

"According to a report from 610 Sports in Kansas City, Holmes is planning a comeback" -WP
How exactly is just re-reporting what a radio station said, blowing the doors off?

Hammock Parties
08-13-2007, 03:46 PM
eh, when you throw that much crap at the wall eventually something has to stick. 2 things right, 100 things wrong, well, it isn't an impressive stat.

In the last year we've been dead on about almost everything.

And "throwing crap at the wall" isn't an accurate assessment of what Nick does, either. He's OUT of the prediction business.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2007, 03:48 PM
"According to a report from 610 Sports in Kansas City, Holmes is planning a comeback" -WP
How exactly is just re-reporting what a radio station said, blowing the doors off?

The radio station didn't report anything before we did. Someone who works for the radio station fed Nick the information.

FAX
08-13-2007, 03:50 PM
I have a permanent solution to this entire problem.

Nick "Miss Cleo" Athan starts printing stories in Zodiac-like, undecipherable codes. That way, he can predict anything he pleases and no one will ever know if he's right or wrong.

FAX

Hammock Parties
08-13-2007, 03:51 PM
That way, he can predict anything he pleases and no one will ever know if he's right or wrong.

Nick hasn't predicted anything in months.

htismaqe
08-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Mitch Holthus told Des Moines radio this morning that Larry would likely be in camp this time next week...

morphius
08-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Because he reported it before the 610 person put it on the air.

JohninGpt
08-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Hard hitting investigative repeating.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Mitch Holthus told Des Moines radio this morning that Larry would likely be in camp this time next week...

Interesting. That would seem to coincide with Nick's report.

htismaqe
08-13-2007, 03:57 PM
Looks like Carl blinked first after watching the disgusting mess the offense put forth vs Cleveland without LJ. Yet another holdout situation that Carl is humiliated in and ultimately loses.

So now the Chiefs are going to give a huge contract to a RB coming off a 400+ carries season. Jamal Anderson anyone?

ROFL

Mr. Laz
08-13-2007, 03:59 PM
i expect to see LJ about preaseason game 3

they didn't want him getting any carries anyway

Reerun_KC
08-13-2007, 04:00 PM
ROFL

Not really funny Htismaqe, the history and odds are agianst LJ... yeah we all can justify it through our special edition rose colored (havent won a playoff game in 14 years) chiefs glasses..

but the fact remains we will be heavily invested in a RB that just set the record for NFL carries... History isnt kind...

Chiefnj2
08-13-2007, 04:01 PM

Which part of "Johnson, Chiefs still far apart" coincides with Larry being in camp by next week?

htismaqe
08-13-2007, 04:01 PM

How so?

In the world of multi-million dollar negotiations, 7 days from now classifies as "imminent" which means all of the reports we've been hearing for the last 24 hours, EXCEPT for Nick's, are correct.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2007, 04:02 PM
How so?

In the world of multi-million dollar negotiations, 7 days from now classifies as "imminent" which means all of the reports we've been hearing for the last 24 hours, EXCEPT for Nick's, are correct.

Eh...alot can change in 7 days. Imminent seems to indicate a couple days, to me anyway.

Reerun_KC
08-13-2007, 04:03 PM
How so?

GoChiefs? You going to need some ice for that burn?

htismaqe
08-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Not really funny Htismaqe, the history and odds are agianst LJ... yeah we all can justify it through our special edition rose colored (havent won a playoff game in 14 years) chiefs glasses..

but the fact remains we will be heavily invested in a RB that just set the record for NFL carries... History isnt kind...

Get a grip on yourself. You're trying to defend KCChiefsfan88, should I need to remind you.

There's one KEY ingredient missing in his pathetic, ridiculous, and ultimately hilarious, comment.

Larry Johnson doesn't HAVE a contract yet.

htismaqe
08-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Eh...alot can change in 7 days. Imminent seems to indicate a couple days, to me anyway.

You've obviously never done a $25M deal before...

Skip Towne
08-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Hard hitting investigative repeating.
:LOL:

boogblaster
08-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Go Larry .....

Reerun_KC
08-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Get a grip on yourself. You're trying to defend KCChiefsfan88, should I need to remind you.

There's one KEY ingredient missing in his pathetic, ridiculous, and ultimately hilarious, comment.

Larry Johnson doesn't HAVE a contract yet.

Ouch my bad, maybe I should just stick to Herm bashing... LOL

BigMeatballDave
08-13-2007, 04:22 PM

So now the Chiefs are going to give a huge contract to a RB coming off a 400+ carries season. Jamal Anderson anyone?LMAO You're a fuggin asshat..

Tribal Warfare
08-13-2007, 04:23 PM

so gochiefs will this go under living in the past, when one mentions this situation?

Question are you building a portfolio, so you can get a job at a more legitimate media outlet? Really, you can't say with a straight face that Athan has true professional credibility.

BigMeatballDave
08-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Pay the man.

5 year deal, $50 million. $20 million guaranteed.They will. I truely believe this is Carl just giving LJ is deserved break from TC.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2007, 04:25 PM
so gochiefs will this go under living in the past, when one mentions this situation?

Question are you building a portfolio, so you can get a job at a more legitimate media outlet? Really, you can't say with a straight face that Athan has true professional credibility.

That's his problem, not mine. The rest is none of your business.

siberian khatru
08-13-2007, 04:28 PM
They will. I truely believe this is Carl just giving LJ is deserved break from TC.

That's what I've been thinking all along, too.

In fact, if this story is true, I'm a bit surprised it's wrapping up this soon.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2007, 04:32 PM
ESPN just reported that the Chiefs are up to $19 million guaranteed.

LJ's camp wants $23 million.

OnTheWarpath15
08-13-2007, 04:33 PM
ESPN just reported that the Chiefs are up to $19 million guaranteed.

LJ's camp wants $23 million.

I just posted the same thing in the other thread.....

tk13
08-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Michael Smith was just on Sportscenter. Says Carl has moved up to $19 million in guaranteed money. LJ's camp is down to about $23... both sides are talking and moving progress. Smith said he expects it to be done before the regular season... which is pretty far off. I guess if they wanted to give him some rest they can wait.

Tribal Warfare
08-13-2007, 04:36 PM
That's his problem, not mine. The rest is none of your business.

Someone is sensitive today

JohninGpt
08-13-2007, 04:39 PM
I just posted the same thing in the other thread.....
You blew the doors off of that one dude.

FAX
08-13-2007, 04:46 PM
I would be amazed if Carl guarantees LJ 23 million. Absolutely amazed.

It would be a phenominal waste of money when we don't have an offensive line to warrant a RB with that price tag. Surely, Carl knows this.

FAX

Hammock Parties
08-13-2007, 04:48 PM
I would be amazed if Carl guarantees LJ 23 million. Absolutely amazed.

It would be a phenominal waste of money when we don't have an offensive line to warrant a RB with that price tag. Surely, Carl knows this.

FAX

LJ ran for 1800 and 20 behind an awful line a year ago. Want to rethink your statement?

htismaqe
08-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Michael Smith was just on Sportscenter. Says Carl has moved up to $19 million in guaranteed money. LJ's camp is down to about $23... both sides are talking and moving progress. Smith said he expects it to be done before the regular season... which is pretty far off. I guess if they wanted to give him some rest they can wait.

Halfway is $21M, guaranteed. I guess I can live with that.

FAX
08-13-2007, 05:01 PM
LJ ran for 1800 and 20 behind an awful line a year ago. Want to rethink your statement?

Simmah!!!

I don't think so, Mr. GoChiefs. I thought he ran for just south of 1800. Nevertheless, it took him 416 attempts to get there.

However, I'm not saying LJ is not a good back. I've never said that. The worst thing I've ever said about LJ is that my jury is out on his production because he doesn't have an all-pro line to run behind.

Rather, I honestly don't believe that the Chiefs have the necessary offensive pieces in place to warrant a back that costs that much. I'd rather see the money invested elsewhere. Then, when we get our line figured out, our wide outs in place, and maybe a young corner or two, we can look at RB.

FAX

Hammock Parties
08-13-2007, 05:03 PM
The worst thing I've ever said about LJ is that my jury is out on his production because he doesn't have an all-pro line to run behind.

Nobody said anything bad about Priest when he averaged 4.4 YPC in 2003. Now LJ averages 4.3 YPC and somehow it's a bad thing?

Sorry, but we need LJ. He's worth every penny. If we make Michael Bennett or Kolby Smith or GOD FORBID Priest Holmes the starter, they won't sniff 4 YPC.

RINGLEADER
08-13-2007, 05:08 PM
I find Adam's ideas intriguing and wish to subscribe to his newsletter.

beach tribe
08-13-2007, 05:10 PM
LJ will not have much more than 316 carries this year or next.
He's got 5 good yrs left IMO.
Give him 20mil

Hammock Parties
08-13-2007, 05:12 PM
LJ will not have much more than 316 carries this year or next.
He's got 5 good yrs left IMO.
Give him 20mil

I wrote an article about reducing his workload for the magazine last week. I think the Chiefs should target about 330 carries for LJ this year. Bennett and Smith can pick up the slack.

FAX
08-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Nobody said anything bad about Priest when he averaged 4.4 YPC in 2003. Now LJ averages 4.3 YPC and somehow it's a bad thing?

Sorry, but we need LJ. He's worth every penny. If we make Michael Bennett or Kolby Smith or GOD FORBID Priest Holmes the starter, they won't sniff 4 YPC.

I think you should consider a career in the law, Mr. GoChiefs. You are awesome at making implications that aren't really there - and I mean that as a compliment. I did not say that LJ's YPC average sucked. I don't believe I've ever said that. My sole concern is that he now has to work behind a line that is not great. Plus, he has more mileage on him.

I don't see how Priest enters into the equation. As for the other RBs, who knows? Nonetheless, were I king (and considering we're now playing Hermball), I would spend money in this order; 1) Offensive line, 2) Young Corners, 3) Big Wide Receivers, and 4) RB.

That is all I'm saying. That is it. That is all. There is no more.

FAX THE CONCERNED FOR MR. GOCHIEFS' SANITY

Hammock Parties
08-13-2007, 05:21 PM
My sole concern is that he now has to work behind a line that is not great.

The line is BETTER than it was a year ago.

As for the other RBs, who knows?

Who knows? Do you think any of the other running backs approach LJ's level of talent? If you're not willing to pay LJ because of the offensive line, you're basically saying you're willing to live with a year in which the Chiefs run the ball poorly.

I personally don't think LJ's contract will prohibit us from paying anyone. There's really no one else TO pay right now.

tk13
08-13-2007, 05:26 PM
I am interested to see how the carries divide up. I don't think it's going to be as easy to take LJ out of the game as everyone seems to think. We just get rolling downhill and keep him in the game, you almost have to make a concious effort to keep his carries down.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2007, 05:27 PM
Now Chris Mortensen said the Chiefs and LJ are six million apart. WTF?

beach tribe
08-13-2007, 05:29 PM
I wrote an article about reducing his workload for the magazine last week. I think the Chiefs should target about 330 carries for LJ this year. Bennett and Smith can pick up the slack.
Bennet is hungry,and poised for a solid year.

Were not stacked with backs so they can ride pine.

LJ will have plenty left by the time we put the rest of the puzzle together.

Skip Towne
08-13-2007, 05:33 PM
More guessing. Does anybody know of a place that offers premium content? I'd like to get an in depth look at the Chiefs.

Zebedee DuBois
08-13-2007, 05:33 PM
What will be the headlines when the deal is done?

Chiefs Hold On To Johnson

Chiefs - Johnson, Happy Ending

FAX
08-13-2007, 05:34 PM
The line is BETTER than it was a year ago.

Undetermined, as of yet.

Who knows? Do you think any of the other running backs approach LJ's level of talent?

Nope.

If you're not willing to pay LJ because of the offensive line, you're basically saying you're willing to live with a year in which the Chiefs run the ball poorly.

Yep.

I personally don't think LJ's contract will prohibit us from paying anyone. There's really no one else TO pay right now.

I think that may be the difference between us on this issue, Mr. GoChiefs. I don't believe we're close to making a run, so LJ is overkill - at least his paycheck will be. And, because his financial impact on the Chiefs will continue well beyond this year, it serves very little purpose in the long term.

Maybe, just maybe, we can get all the other pieces in place before LJ is injured or runs off his legs. But, at this point, I kind of doubt that. Therefore, I would rather look at his cost over the next 3 to 4 years and consider how we might use that money to build a team that has talent across the board and which we can afford.

FAX

beach tribe
08-13-2007, 05:35 PM
I am interested to see how the carries divide up. I don't think it's going to be as easy to take LJ out of the game as everyone seems to think. We just get rolling downhill and keep him in the game, you almost have to make a concious effort to keep his carries down.
It's gonna depend a lot on whether Bennet stays healthy,and Smith will surely get some carries

There will also be a ton of planned dump offs to RBs,where the other backs will be involved.Which will,in turn,bring the teams overall carries down.

KCTitus
08-13-2007, 05:37 PM
wow...who wouldve thunk that KC would be looking to give 20M in guaranteed money to a Penn State RB...

Seriously, did anyone really think this hold out was anything more than LJ's 'get out of camp free' card? Last practice is Wednesday, LJ signs on Thursday. (everyone gets that bit of 'premium' content free...)

Zebedee DuBois
08-13-2007, 05:40 PM
(everyone gets that bit of 'premium' content free...)

Thanks, dude!

beach tribe
08-13-2007, 05:41 PM
wow...who wouldve thunk that KC would be looking to give 20M in guaranteed money to a Penn State RB...

Seriously, did anyone really think this hold out was anything more than LJ's 'get out of camp free' card? Last practice is Wednesday, LJ signs on Thursday. (everyone gets that bit of 'premium' content free...)
You are wise.

None of this even remotely surprises me.

Paid and rested.

See you in Houston.

cmh6476
08-13-2007, 05:49 PM
just saw tyhis posted at fft:

He just signed an extension (per ESPN radio, no link)
------

Good to hear if true. Michael Smith was just on Sportscenter and said they are about 4mil apart but the structure is set. LJ wants 23 and KC wants to give 19.

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=279429

FloridaMan88
08-13-2007, 06:56 PM

You know one way to keep LJ's carries down is to utilize something called the forward pass. Despite what Herm thinks, the NFL actually allows the ability to pass the ball down the field to WRs (yes WRs... gasp! They can be used for more than just run blocking)

htismaqe
08-13-2007, 07:12 PM
You know one way to keep LJ's carries down is to utilize something called the forward pass. Despite what Herm thinks, the NFL actually allows the ability to pass the ball down the field to WRs (yes WRs... gasp! They can be used for more than just run blocking)

You know one way to prevent appearing like an idiot would be to utilize something called discretion.

Eleazar
08-13-2007, 07:20 PM

This is interesting. I went to the WPI story and looked at the page source, and it was posted yesterday at 4:00 PM.

So was Nick Athan right when he posted the story, and then they negotiated into the night on a Sunday and someone called Holthus first thing, or were they already close on a Sunday and he got it wrong again? Which is more likely?

Hammock Parties
08-13-2007, 07:58 PM
This is interesting. I went to the WPI story and looked at the page source, and it was posted yesterday at 4:00 PM.

So was Nick "The Erroneous One" Athan right when he posted the story, and then they negotiated into the night on a Sunday and someone called Holthus first thing, or were they already close on a Sunday and he got it wrong again? Which is more likely?

For the record, Nick is still holding his contrary position.

Skip Towne
08-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Yes, but when you pass the ball three things can happen and two of them are bad.

Direckshun
08-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Was it just me or did the OL run block pretty damn good Saturday?

OnTheWarpath15
08-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Was it just me or did the OL run block pretty damn good Saturday?

Assuming you mean the 1st teamers.....

Yes they did.

alanm
08-13-2007, 09:37 PM
The radio station didn't report anything before we did. Someone who works for the radio station fed Nick the information.
Did Nick get that white stain out of his blue sports shirt.

Mr. Kotter
08-13-2007, 10:45 PM
Shouldn't drop off the first page....

Bump. :)

Deberg_1990
08-13-2007, 10:58 PM

Thats a good point. Ive been saying for awhile now they should move to more of a "west coast" style passing game with short slants and passes to the fulback in the flat. High percentage passes (ball control through the air).

maybe Herm could bring in his buddy Paul Hackett to advise...

ClevelandBronco
08-13-2007, 11:00 PM

And Mantits is still holding Nick.

Direckshun
08-13-2007, 11:15 PM
And I'm still holding my breath.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2007, 11:21 PM
And Carl is holding his Johnson.

The Bad Guy
08-14-2007, 12:06 AM

Nick always holds his own.

Make sure you pull up this record in 5 days when LJ is in camp.