PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone painted aluminum siding before?

ChiefsFire
08-13-2007, 08:39 PM
The plan is to:

1. Scrub the siding down with a non sudsy detergent.
2. Powerwash above mentioned detergent from the structure.
3. Prime with a high quality oil based exterior primer.
4. Cover with a high quality flat exterior latex paint.
5. Sit back with a cold beer and admirer my handyman skills.

Anyone had any luck with painting aluminum siding? Any do's or don't's from the peanut gallery?

The siding is in great shape, just an ugly shade of green.

Does Bob Vila post here?

Phobia
08-13-2007, 08:42 PM
You should check with your local paint store, but I think you need to apply a deglosser for the paint to adhere.

I'll bet there's 3 or 4 different methods that would work but if you're going to all that effort you really want to make sure you get the best longevity.

Don't skimp on the quality of topcoat. I recommend Sherwin Williams Duration.

ChiefsFire
08-13-2007, 08:46 PM
You should check with your local paint store, but I think you need to apply a deglosser for the paint to adhere.

I'll bet there's 3 or 4 different methods that would work but if you're going to all that effort you really want to make sure you get the best longevity.

Don't skimp on the quality of topcoat. I recommend Sherwin Williams Duration.

Thats crazy...I just saw an ad tonight for Duration...I wondered if it would be the best for the job.

I will be pissed if I go to a ton of work and 3 months later its peeling off.

Thanks Phobs

Phobia
08-13-2007, 08:49 PM
That deglosser *may* eliminate the priming step. Maybe. That Duration is bad, bad stuff. You'll be happy with its performance presuming you prep properly.

Iowanian
08-13-2007, 09:05 PM
I'll be trying it.....if I ever get the never ending pile of other "surprises" I keep running into done.

I am pretty sure I'm the star of "the money Pit II"

Psyko Tek
08-13-2007, 10:07 PM
I thought the point of aluminum siding was that you didn't have to paint it

Phobia
08-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Indeed. But what was trendy 30 years ago is hideous today. Additionally aluminum siding has a tendency to become chalky and/or fade.

Bugeater
08-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Of course you can paint it, I've done it numerous times and I plan to paint the aluminum siding on my own house after I get the other 23,843 things ahead of it on my to-do list done.

Phobia
08-13-2007, 10:45 PM
Of course you can paint it, I've done it numerous times and I plan to paint the aluminum siding on my own house after I get the other 23,843 things ahead of it on my to-do list done.
I was hoping you'd weigh in. How would you prep it?

Bugeater
08-13-2007, 10:58 PM
I was hoping you'd weigh in. How would you prep it?
It depends, on my house it's extremely oxidized so I plan on scrubbing the hell out of every square inch, then spraying the thing from top to bottom with an acrylic primer before topcoating. I already painted a couple areas on the back of the house a few years ago that were in better shape, I just put two coats of house paint directly on it and it's doing fine so far. I've done several others that I just powerwashed and sprayed and it's held up on them as far as I know, I haven't heard any complaints.

Iowanian
08-14-2007, 07:03 AM

Example.

The 2000' money pit I recently bought.....the top half, Barn red. The bottom half, filthy white.

Once windows, soffet, facing and gutters are on......It needs painted.

I keep telling myself it will be "really something" when I'm done.

Today, as I'm busting out more plaster in a north wall with no insullation.....I'll have to repeat that alot.