PDA

View Full Version : If I wanna clean out my registry on my computer (I have a virus) which CD do I use?

CoMoChief
08-14-2007, 04:04 AM
There's a blue one which is the resource CD for re-installing device dirvers and using diagnostics and there's an other one that's black that re-installs the Windows XP operatin system.

I have movies and music and some shit on here that I don't wanna delete, but yet I wanna get rid of this ****in virus that is making my computer run like a fat kid in a mile race. Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Saulbadguy
08-14-2007, 05:29 AM
What virus is it?

OldTownChief
08-14-2007, 05:55 AM
What virus is it?

Excellent Question. Do a google search for a removal tool for the virus or just post it here and someone should be able to help you. Don't mess with the registry without making a backup AND knowing exactly what you are doing.

Fish
08-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Yeah... don't delete anything out of your registry unless you know exactly what you're doing. You'll quickly make your OS unbootable.

Like OldTownChief said, find out what it is and try a removal tool for that virus.

The resource CD won't help, and the one that reinstalls the OS will delete everything on your drive before it reinstalls the OS.

A BartPE (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/) bootup disk will really help you here, if you can download and burn one on a different system. It will let you run a virus scan without booting to the drive that has the virus on it.

wutamess
08-14-2007, 08:02 AM
There's a blue one which is the resource CD for re-installing device dirvers and using diagnostics and there's an other one that's black that re-installs the Windows XP operatin system.

I have movies and music and some shit on here that I don't wanna delete, but yet I wanna get rid of this ****in virus that is making my computer run like a fat kid in a mile race. Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It's probably your browsing habits (i.e. malware/spyware)?
Are you sure it's a virus?

Anyhow... run hijack this first and then post the log of what it finds here.
We'll tell you what to delete.

Then run any other virus cleaning utility.
Never delete files from registry to get rid of a virus as you have no idea where the virus is actually hiding.

Redrum_69
08-14-2007, 08:30 AM
Dont listen to these people...

Start > Run > REGEDIT

and then start deleting folders that look suspicious....

BigRedChief
08-14-2007, 09:36 AM

Start > Run > REGEDIT

You call yourself a geek?:cuss: It's

Format C:

Mr. Laz
08-14-2007, 09:36 AM

Start > Run > REGEDIT

evil,evil man

Mr. Laz
08-14-2007, 09:38 AM
my suggestion is to backup/copy the movies and stuff you want to save and then do a complete reinstall.

imo windows really needs to be freshly installed every 25 months or so.

Fish
08-14-2007, 09:54 AM
You call yourself a geek?:cuss: It's

Format C:

All out geek:

format c: /q /y