PDA

View Full Version : Who was the best player......

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Peterson ever let get away? Off the top of my head I can only think of two notables, Gannon and Horn, maybe throw in Neil Smith.

Direckshun
08-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Neil Smith.

But I didn't feel particularly good about letting go of Donnie Edwards.

Megbert
08-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Donnie Edwards or Horn they were in their prime.

DMAC
08-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Gannon really hurt at the time.

Mainly because he kicked ass at Oak and left us with GrAss.

Stewie
08-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Considering our present circumstance I think losing John Tait still hurts. I know he didn't want to stay, but he'd fill a big void for us now.

DJJasonp
08-14-2007, 01:58 PM
At the time of their release....Donnie Edwards was at the top of his game.

Neil Smith was on the downside of his career...Joe Horn hadnt blossomed yet (probably due to marty ball more than anything)

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-14-2007, 02:03 PM
At the time of their release....Donnie Edwards was at the top of his game.

Neil Smith was on the downside of his career...Joe Horn hadnt blossomed yet (probably due to marty ball more than anything)

Yep Donnie Edwards, the answer was there all along.

I see nobody has mentioned Bartee, Sims or Hicks.

DaKCMan AP
Not "the" best to get away, but Ryan Lilja

ct
1. Rich Gannon
2. Donnie Edwards
3. Joe Horn

sedated
08-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Toss up between DonnieE and Tait.

Either one would have been a huge help the last couple of years.

KC Dan
08-14-2007, 02:06 PM
1. Rich Gannon
2. Donnie Edwards
3. Joe Horn
Agreed

Psyko Tek
08-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Gannon and Donnie

considering Elvis was in the building losing Gannon was beyond stupid

Mi_chief_fan
08-14-2007, 02:07 PM
I was glad to see him go, but Scott Fujita has played pretty well in New Orleans. Also, Brentson Buckner had a nice run with Carolina after he left here.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-14-2007, 02:08 PM
At this time I wouldn't consider Tait as the best to get away but we sure could use his Mullett head right now.

StcChief
08-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Gannon
Edwards
Tait
Smith
Horn

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-14-2007, 02:10 PM
Will we look back and throw Dante Hall into the mix one day. I hope not, but you have to admit he at one time was great.

POND_OF_RED
08-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Tony Richardson

Chief Faithful
08-14-2007, 02:21 PM
You can add Kevin Ross and Albert Lewis to the list.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Tony Richardson

Yep. But now we have BOOOOOOMMMMEEEERRRRRRRR!

Frazod
08-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Not having Tait currently hurts the worst.

Overall, I'd have to say Gannon, because he stuck it up our asses sideways the entire time he was in Oakland.

Mi_chief_fan
08-14-2007, 02:27 PM
Not having Tait currently hurts the worst.

Overall, I'd have to say Gannon, because he stuck it up our asses sideways the entire time he was in Oakland.

You had me at "stuck it up our asses sideways."

Otter
08-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Keith Traylor came to mind when I looked at this thread so I looked up his stats to see if it was selective memory or actually true.

Turns out it was a little bit of both.

However, he's still starting with the Miami Dolphins at almost 40 years of age, started all but 2 games and had 27 tackles and 4 sacks last year.

That's pretty amazing for a defensive tackle.

Tribal Warfare
08-14-2007, 02:29 PM
overall, I'd say Donnie

jjchieffan
08-14-2007, 02:30 PM
I'd say Edwards and Horn. F--K Gannon. He was the most overrated Chief ever!! Grbac wasn't great, but we was certainly better than Gannon. Gannon only did well in Oakland because he was throwing to rice and Brown. Hell, Ryan Leaf would have made the pro bowl throwing to them.

DJJasonp
08-14-2007, 02:32 PM
I'd say Edwards and Horn. F--K Gannon. He was the most overrated Chief ever!! Grbac wasn't great, but we was certainly better than Gannon. Gannon only did well in Oakland because he was throwing to rice and Brown. Hell, Ryan Leaf would have made the pro bowl throwing to them.

Wow....I'd say nuthooks....but that pretty much goes without saying...

jjchieffan
08-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Let me take it a step farther. Gannon, may have been among the top overrated players in NFL history. For crying out loud. It made me sick, everytime I went to a Chiefs-Faders game, and heard thousands of dillusional morons cheering that mediocre at best quarterback. I wish we had kept him, just so that he would have been exposed for the wannabe no good quaterback that he really was.

Hydrae
08-14-2007, 02:59 PM
I was glad to see him go, but Scott Fujita has played pretty well in New Orleans. Also, Brentson Buckner had a nice run with Carolina after he left here.

I haven't double checked but I thought Fuji was in Dallas as of last season. :shrug:

And Donnie Edwards for sure in my book.

CoMoChief
08-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Horn wasn't as good with us as he was in NO. He also was hurt alot. The decision at the time was a good one, though it came to bite us in the ass later on.

I still think John Tait, Neil Smith, and Donnie Edwards were the 3 that stick out in my mind.

CoMoChief
08-14-2007, 03:02 PM
I haven't double checked but I thought Fuji was in Dallas as of last season. :shrug:

And Donnie Edwards for sure in my book.
That was 2 years ago. He played in NO last season and played well IMO.

HemiEd
08-14-2007, 03:05 PM
Neil Smith, far and away IMO. Todd Blackledge might be second.

Skip Towne
08-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Neil Smith, far and away IMO. Todd Blackledge might be second.
Peterson never should have drafted Blackledge.

jjchieffan
08-14-2007, 03:17 PM
At the time it happened, I sure thought losing Dale Carter was huge, but after seeing what happened to his career after he left. It was definetly the right decision. Neil Smith was a big loss, but he was too near the end of his career to pay big dollars to. I am glad he got his ring, sure wish it was anywhere but Dungver though. Nick Lowery was another one that hurt us, considering his replacement was Lin Elliot. That loss probably cost us the superbowl in 95.

HemiEd
08-14-2007, 03:19 PM

That was a major **** up, he could have had Marino.

Spott
08-14-2007, 03:28 PM
I thought Albert Lewis was a big loss, until he had Dale Carter and James Hasty at the corners when he left so it wasn't a huge loss. I would have liked to have kept Traylor, too. As much as it sucks to admit, letting Gannon go and making him ride the bench behind Elvis was the biggest loss. I never liked Gannon, but he went on to become the MVP and would have likely went to play in two Super Bowls if it weren't for that call in the New England playoff game.

Zebedee DuBois
08-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Keith Traylor came to mind when I looked at this thread so I looked up his stats to see if it was selective memory or actually true.

Turns out it was a little bit of both.

However, he's still starting with the Miami Dolphins at almost 40 years of age, started all but 2 games and had 27 tackles and 4 sacks last year.

That's pretty amazing for a defensive tackle.

I was going to mention Traylor, as well. We had some years when we could have used that push in the middle.

Coach
08-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Not "the" best to get away, but Ryan Lilja

I agree, but that one was more of Vermeil's fault than Peterson. Vermeil tried to get through with him on the practice squad, and that came back and bit him in the ass. But that's just my opinion.

The whole best? I'd say Edwards in his prime, over Greg F**king Robinson.

Ebolapox
08-14-2007, 04:26 PM
dan marino.

DAMMIT, BLACKLEDGE AND KARL!!111

Zebedee DuBois
08-14-2007, 04:27 PM
I agree, but that one was more of Vermeil's fault than Peterson. Vermeil tried to get through with him on the practice squad, and that came back and bit him in the ass. But that's just my opinion.

The whole best? I'd say Edwards in his prime, over Greg F**king Robinson.

Greg Robinson was devastating to our team. I think he was still on the Denver payroll.

cdcox
08-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Gannon was very comparable to Grbac, statistically while in KC. He improved under Gurden's West Coast offense. He never would have had that type of performance here, becuase we weren't running that system with Jimmy Raye. In the end he choked when in counted.

I'll never know why people still pine after Gannon.

Smed1065
08-15-2007, 01:38 AM
Gannon and Donnie

considering Elvis was in the building losing Gannon was beyond stupid

Now I know why when I hear "Elvis has left the building" I get pissed.

They just make me wish it has happened.

:banghead:

ChiefFan31
08-15-2007, 02:22 AM
Let me take it a step farther. Gannon, may have been among the top overrated players in NFL history. For crying out loud. It made me sick, everytime I went to a Chiefs-Faders game, and heard thousands of dillusional morons cheering that mediocre at best quarterback. I wish we had kept him, just so that he would have been exposed for the wannabe no good quaterback that he really was.

I think you missed your dose of Ritalin before posting.

It is nice having Donnie back, but having John Tait sure would be nice right now. He just never learned to STFU and STFD. Freakin Mormons...

huskerdooz
08-15-2007, 03:35 AM

Am I missing something?

Marino and Blackledge were in the famed QB class of 83. That was 6 years before King Carl arrived.

Mi_chief_fan
08-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Am I missing something?

Marino and Blackledge were in the famed QB class of 83. That was 6 years before King Carl arrived.

You are incorrect. Carl not only drafted Blackledge, but he was the second gunman on the grassy knoll as well. :shake:

Mr. Arrowhead
08-15-2007, 09:05 AM
Gannon was very comparable to Grbac, statistically while in KC. He improved under Gurden's West Coast offense. He never would have had that type of performance here, becuase we weren't running that system with Jimmy Raye. In the end he choked when in counted.

I'll never know why people still pine after Gannon.
because Elvis was one of the stupiest QBs in chiefs history. I always though Elvis had talent, but the guy just didnt use his head on the field.

Chief Chief
08-15-2007, 09:08 AM
Joe Montana

Mr. Plow
08-15-2007, 09:31 AM
Peterson ever let get away? Off the top of my head I can only think of two notables, Gannon and Horn, maybe throw in Neil Smith.

Gannon? Geesh. Product of the system. There is a reason he was a backup QB at every NFL stop except one.

Donnie Edwards.

Dr. Van Halen
08-15-2007, 09:37 AM
Gannon had a weak arm, Grbac had potential. Hindsight is 20/20.

John Tait wanted a boatload of money -- considerably more than he was worth -- and the Bears gave it to him.

I agree with the guy who said that cutting Nick Lowery cost us the Superbowl in 1995.

Deberg_1990
08-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Keeping Warfield over Edwards certainly hurt.

Thanks GRob!

underEJ
08-15-2007, 10:31 AM
because Elvis was one of the stupiest QBs in chiefs history. I always though Elvis had talent, but the guy just didnt use his head on the field.

Ha ha! Anyone remember the Hard Knocks with the Ravens when Grbac ripped into a rookie Todd Heap for being in the wrong place, and then Heap comes over to genuinely get on the right page with the QB, and it turns out Heap was exactly where he should have been and Grbac had to apologize for being a huge JA.

gblowfish
08-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Losing Tait hurts, but at the time, the Bears offered to pay him more than we were paying Priest Holmes. That was just crazy money. Couldn't afford to lock up Gonzalez or Will Shields at the time.

One of those things where you just gotta let go sometimes.

Ones who were let go we could have easily kept were:

Albert Lewis
Neil Smith
Donnie Edwards
Rich Gannon

Tony Richardson was too much money for a blocking fullback.
We got Fast Eddie after Horn left. I'd rather have Fast Eddie.