PDA

View Full Version : So are the Royals going to sign their pick?

Mecca
08-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Tomorrow's the deadline.......

Stewie
08-14-2007, 04:36 PM
If they do it will be at 11:59. They're waiting to see what the other top players signed for.

Mecca
08-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Well he's the 2nd pick and the top pick isn't signed and his look to be even further off than the Royals pick.

Ebolapox
08-14-2007, 04:43 PM
eh, if he doesn't lose, I believe the royals get the second overall pick AGAIN this year due to a new rule (as WELL as their normal first round pick this next year)

WoodDraw
08-14-2007, 05:20 PM
eh, if he doesn't lose, I believe the royals get the second overall pick AGAIN this year due to a new rule (as WELL as their normal first round pick this next year)

The third overall pick I think, but I could be wrong. Either way, the point stands. It's a new rule to keep draft bonuses in control, which I agree with.

Mr. Laz
08-14-2007, 06:50 PM
aren't like the 1st 4 picks unsigned still?

Deberg_1990
08-14-2007, 06:54 PM
JoPo had a really good story about this the other day. Its pretty sad how how even the draft favors the big market teams because the small market teams draft guys they know they can sign. Not neccesarily the best talent available...

http://www.kansascity.com/180/story/228343.html

Bowser
08-14-2007, 06:57 PM
I doubt it. Petro had a good conversation with Jayson Stark about it. According to them, the Tigers screwed the whole "slotting" system up by signing their HS pitcher Portcello to a 27 million dollar contract - as the 27th pick! I think they said he will receive 7 mil in guarantees, too, which absolutely ****s everyone in front of them - especially those in the top ten.

Oh, and Portcello's agent? Yep - Scott Boras, just like our prized shortstop of the future. :shake:

Mecca
08-14-2007, 07:00 PM
The Tigers don't care, they took probably a top 10 player 27 and paid him and basically flipped everyone else off.

Deberg_1990
08-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Scott Boras, just like our prized shortstop of the future. :shake:

I hope theres a special place reserved in Hell for Mr. Boras....What a complete ass hat this guy is....

Mecca
08-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Unless of course he was your agent...

You can say all the bad things in the world about the guy but they all know what he is and that is the reason they hire him.

KevB
08-14-2007, 07:07 PM
I think he signs for one reason...this kid wants to play pro ball. When it's all said and done, I hope the kid and his family ask Boras to explain to them how turning down $3.5-$4M as the 2nd pick will improve by going to USC for two years.

Demonpenz
08-14-2007, 07:08 PM
I hope we don't sign him next years draft is DEEP

Eleazar
08-14-2007, 07:09 PM
The good news would be that if we couldn't sign him, we'd get the #3 or #4 overall next year in addition to our regular pick, from what I understand.

Deberg_1990
08-14-2007, 07:09 PM

You can say all the bad things in the world about the guy but they all know what he is and that is the reason they hire him.

Good point....but the Owners are to blame as well for ruining the slotting system and keeping everything honest.

Bowser
08-14-2007, 07:14 PM

Boras will also be reason that MLB will one day adopt a slotting system ala the NBA.

He and his clients get paid large. Other than that, his contribution to baseball is nil, imho.

Mecca
08-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Baseball hasn't even adopted allowing a team to trade a draft pick for something yet.....

Eleazar
08-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Boras will also be reason that MLB will one day adopt a slotting system ala the NBA.

He and his clients get paid large. Other than that, his contribution to baseball is nil, imho.

There's no question he's bad for the game. He doesn't create anything, he just drains teams' wealth making them less competitive.

Adept Havelock
08-14-2007, 07:31 PM
There's no question he's bad for the game. He doesn't create anything, he just drains teams' wealth making them less competitive.

Seems that it's as much (if not more) about his ego getting fed as it is about getting his picks a fair deal.

alnorth
08-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Good point....but the owner of the Detroit Tigers is to blame as well for ruining the slotting system and keeping everything honest.

FYP

VonneMarie
08-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Did we get him? I can't hear the radio... wasn't the deadline 11 CT?

Eleazar
08-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Did we get him? I can't hear the radio... wasn't the deadline 11 CT?

11 PM

VonneMarie
08-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Ok... great. :)

DeezNutz
08-15-2007, 10:13 AM
I hope we don't sign him next years draft is DEEP

Really? Link?

I like reading about draft prospects if you have a site in mind.

Deberg_1990
08-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Countdown clock on KCStars website:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/

Mr. Laz
08-15-2007, 10:16 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070813&content_id=2146282&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

08/15/2007 11:17 AM ET
Deadline for top Draft picks looms
Club have until midnight ET tonight to sign prospects
By Jonathan Mayo / MLB.com

If the Rays are unable to sign David Price by Wednesday, they would get the 2008 No. 2 pick overall. (AP)

The clock is ticking.

Thanks to the new rules in the most recent collective bargaining agreement, the signing deadline for the 2007 Draft class is coming up quickly. Gone are the days of the year-long negotiations, of the draft-and-follows. Now there are just over two months from Draft day until the deadline.

Here's how the new rule works: Teams have until midnight ET tonight to sign their draftees. If a drafted player does not sign by tonight -- and that includes having all the I's dotted and T's crossed, including physicals by that time -- they re-enter the Draft pool. If it's a college junior or a player headed to junior college, that means they will be eligible in 2008. For high schoolers who decide to attend a four-year college, they will have to wait until 2010 to enter the Draft odyssey once again.

Nothing has changed regarding college seniors. They still have until just before next year's Draft to sign or they re-enter the Draft.

The blow of not signing an early pick is cushioned somewhat under the new rules. If a team doesn't sign its first- or second-round pick, there is compensation, moreso than in the past. If, for example, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays are unable to sign No. 1 pick David Price, they would get a comparable pick -- No. 2 overall -- in 2008.

The compensation for not signing a third-round pick is a sandwich pick between the third and fourth rounds.

Twenty-one of the 30 first-round picks have signed with their respective clubs, with the Giants signing their two first-round picks, left-hander Madison Bumgarner (No. 10) and outfielder Wendell Fairley (No. 29), on Wednesday morning. That leaves nine from the opening round who have yet to sign on the dotted line. Just what kind of impact this new rule has on everyone really remains to be seen. It will undoubtedly be easier to figure out how it worked out on 12:01 a.m. Thursday morning.

"This being the first year ever, I think some people weren't sure how this thing was going to turn out," one scouting director said. "I'm sure people will have situations that they'll be able to share after.

"I was extremely leery of this deadline to begin with. I thought it was made to be too comfortable. I wanted to see it unfold the first year. I think that dictated how some people drafted and others were unaffected by it. Some people would say it was business as usual, some would say you'd better be conservative. I guess we'll find out who calculated right and who miscalculated. We won't know until it's Wednesday. Some clubs that rolled the dice may come up empty, some may have done all right. The calculations will be really interesting. It'll be interesting to talk about in years to come."

This scouting director wouldn't mind seeing things going one step further. Why bother even having the process last two months? Moving things along even faster, he thinks, will be beneficial to all sides. "I'm seriously thinking about suggesting a July 15 deadline," he said. "That way, guys are out and playing or they're going to school. This way both parties can get on with what they need to do. But I don't know if it can be changed."

Before worrying about long-term plans, it's more relevant to figure out this year. Will those still out there sign in time? Here's the latest, and be sure to check in on the Draft Blog for updates on signings ... or the lack thereof.

1. Tampa Bay Devil Rays: David Price, LHP
Negotiations with No. 1 overall picks tend to take a long time, so it's not a real surprise this one is coming down to the final days. It seems likely that something will get done, but the smaller market Devil Rays may be less reluctant to go too far over slot than some other clubs will be. The Royals gave Luke Hochevar, last year's No. 1 pick, a $3.6 million bonus and a Major League contract.

2. Kansas City Royals: Mike Moustakas, 3B
GM Dayton Moore recently stated he was optimistic they'd get this thing done, but Boras has said that Moustakas is "an exception" to the slotting guideline. Just how far above the $3.1 million estimated slot for the No. 2 pick is Kansas City willing to go? If he doesn't sign, he could go on to USC for three years.

3. Chicago Cubs: Josh Vitters, 3B
Talks between the Cubs and the Vitters camp have been positive and there is confidence that a contract will be signed by Wednesday. One holdup could be the team and draftee right above this one. When similar players -- in this case two high school hitters -- are taken back-to-back in the first round, the second one often waits as long as possible to see what the first one gets.

5. Baltimore Orioles: Matt Wieters, C
Talks are ongoing between the Orioles and Scott Boras, Wieters' agent. Wieters was generally considered to be the top college bat in the Draft class, and as such, may be looking for an above-slot bonus to go along with a Major League contract. O's president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail has stated that you have "to stay flexible and do what you think is in the best interest of the organization."

9. Arizona Diamondbacks: Jarrod Parker, RHP
Picks 9-11 are tied to each other because all three are high school pitchers. This may be an instance where one -- team and draftee -- is waiting for the others to blink, to set a certain standard. Parker is represented by Larry Reynolds and the D-Backs have dealt with him before, most notably with uber-prospect Justin Upton. Word was that GM Josh Byrnes was going to speak with Reynolds on Monday to see where things stood.

11. Seattle Mariners: Phillippe Aumont, RHP
This situation, in many ways, is the one that's the most surprising that it hasn't been resolved as of yet. As mentioned above, Aumont and the Mariners might be waiting to see what happens with Parker and/or Bumgarner before signing. Some think this one is all but official and it's fairly likely it will get done, but the staring contest among all three slots here may hold things up some.

12. Florida Marlins: Matt Dominguez, 3B
While the Marlins were able to recently sign second-rounder Mike Stanton, another high school bat, there's been no announcement about a Dominguez signing. Dominguez, a teammate of Moustakas' at Chatsworth High School in the Los Angeles area, does have a commitment to Cal State Fullerton, but the Marlins were still encouraged they'd be able to keep him from honoring that.

27. Detroit Tigers: Rick Porcello, RHP
The Tigers will announce before the deadline that they have signed Porcello to a four-year Major League contract. With reports tabbing the total value at $7.28 million, it would be the largest contract ever awarded to a high school player. Porcello came into this year's First-Year Player Draft regarded by most as the top high school player available. However, he fell to the Tigers' spot at No. 27 because of his expected contract demands.

30. New York Yankees: Andrew Brackman, RHP
There are a lot of variables with this one. Brackman was once considered to be a top-pick candidate, but what turned out to be a bad elbow really hampered him throughout his junior season at NC State. He's also a Boras client, though the agent felt confident an agreement would be reached. It's possible Brackman will need Tommy John surgery, meaning that even if he does sign, he likely won't pitch for the Yankees much until 2009.

Jonathan Mayo is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Mr. Laz
08-15-2007, 10:19 AM
it would be fitting and funny if all these guys don't sign .... forcing MLB to establish a mandatory slotting system.

f#ck scott boras :cuss:

Eleazar
08-15-2007, 10:35 AM
I think it will get done. We've dealt with Boras plenty of times between Beltran/Damon/Gordon/Hochevar

teedubya
08-15-2007, 10:45 AM
I think it would be funny if all major league franchises put a ban on Boras.

If you secure him as your agent, then they don't get signed. People would stop dealing with Boras.

Boras is a douche.

Chief Chief
08-15-2007, 11:00 AM
I don't get it...

They're paying Mr. Disabled List $11 million a year but he's out on his keister at the end of this season...at least the Royals had better part ways with Sweeney.

So KC should have the dough to sign up this kid who apparently not only has more power than Sweeney but will fill a position we have a need for.

Sign him now, Mr. Glass!

BTW, may Porcello of Detroit follow the same baseball career path as Colt Griffin.

DaneMcCloud
08-15-2007, 11:09 AM
I hope theres a special place reserved in Hell for Mr. Boras....What a complete ass hat this guy is....

I saw him up close and personal two weeks ago at the Dodgers-Giants game. My buddy says "Hey, isn't that Boras sitting two seats down from us?" and I replied while looking directly in Boras's direction "Oh. You mean the guy that ruined MLB? Yeah, that's him".

He didn't even blink. Bastard.

chiefqueen
08-15-2007, 11:37 AM
So not only to the Royals and Boras have to reach an agreement, but the deal must be approved by MLB, and Moose has to pass a physical by team (Royals) doctors by 10:59 p.m. tonight.

3 words

AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!

tk13
08-15-2007, 12:25 PM
I don't get it...

They're paying Mr. Disabled List $11 million a year but he's out on his keister at the end of this season...at least the Royals had better part ways with Sweeney.

So KC should have the dough to sign up this kid who apparently not only has more power than Sweeney but will fill a position we have a need for.

Sign him now, Mr. Glass!

BTW, may Porcello of Detroit follow the same baseball career path as Colt Griffin.
It's not about paying him money, there's no doubt Glass and Moore could pay him what he wants. It's about not totally caving to Boras and breaking the slotting.

Mecca
08-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Not breaking slotting means a lot when half the teams in the league prove every year they could give a **** about it and pay whatever needs to be paid.

Holding onto mandatory slotting, or teams boycotting Boras is holding onto pipe dreams. When top players are going to tab him as their agent then you're saying "lets take a worse player".

Slotting this and that it's obvious teams don't care. The Tigers did what they needed to do to sign their player that's all they cared about. Either you have the money to play or you don't, if you don't take some shitty guys you can sign and admit what you are.

tyton75
08-15-2007, 01:18 PM
we got plenty of young guys in the system to pass on this guy and get a 3rd pick overall next year.. plus our normal #1 pick

tk13
08-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Eh, I don't have a problem with breaking the slotting a bit. According to a report in the LA Times today though... Boras could be asking for a $7 million signing bonus, almost double the slot. No thank you. And supposedly he wants to be put on the 40-man roster. No way. At that point, it's not even about following the rules, it's about not making a move that's completely stupid.

Eleazar
08-15-2007, 01:20 PM
It's not about paying him money, there's no doubt Glass and Moore could pay him what he wants. It's about not totally caving to Boras and breaking the slotting.

It would work if there were enough teams that would stick together and present a unified front. I thought that 10 or 15 teams already avoided him pretty much all the time.

sedated
08-15-2007, 01:32 PM
we got plenty of young guys in the system to pass on this guy and get a 3rd pick overall next year.. plus our normal #1 pick

it would be 4th if the overall #1 from this year doesn't sign (unless he already did)

and our schedule won't be as bad as usual. I wonder where will a 90 loss team will fall in the draft.

but if next year's draft is better than this, let that greedy f*ck go to USC. hopefully after three years he'll drop to the 28th round.

Mecca
08-15-2007, 01:34 PM

The Royals system is still ranked pretty damn low so I don't think we have plenty of young guys.....

We don't have Clay Bucholz sitting on the farm like Boston does or anything even close to that.

Sure-Oz
08-15-2007, 01:37 PM
If we lose him so be it, we get that pick next year on top of whatever we have as a top pick anyway!

No way you pay an unproven player much higher than what they are offering now. **** scott borass

Mecca
08-15-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm sure the Royals will be pumped to pay 10 million dollars for 2 players next year.

hawkchief
08-15-2007, 01:38 PM
It would work if there were enough teams that would stick together and present a unified front. I thought that 10 or 15 teams already avoided him pretty much all the time.

Since when has MLB done anything that remotely resembled a "unified front"?

Mecca
08-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Since when has MLB done anything that remotely resembled a "unified front"?

Uh why should they? If I'm Boston or Detroit or something like that and you are the Royals and you won't take Boras players my reaction is going to be. "Good **** em I'll get better players with my later picks"

keg in kc
08-15-2007, 01:42 PM
There's a difference between breaking the slotting and doing what the Tigers did, which is pay 5 times the slot. There aren't many teams in the league that will do that. That's a horrible precedent.

MLB is also pressuring teams not to give in, apparently.

And Boras does need to be checked. He's coaching and training his own clients now, including Hochevar. So I sure as hell would avoid the guy now. The idea here is to build a team, and he's destructive in that regard in virtually every way imaginable. He's not bringing anything positive to the game of baseball, and if they don't address it, he'll continue to run roughshod.

Sure-Oz
08-15-2007, 01:43 PM
There's a difference between breaking the slotting and doing what the Tigers did, which is pay 5 times the slot. There aren't many teams in the league that will do that. That's a horrible precedent.

MLB is also pressuring teams not to give in, apparently.

And Boras does need to be checked. He's coaching and training his own clients now, including Hochevar. So I sure as hell would avoid the guy now. The idea here is to build a team, and he's destructive in that regard in virtually every way imaginable. He's not bringing anything positive to the game of baseball.
Hochevar has sucked baows so far as well..

it would serve the tigers right if porcella sucks or blows out his arm

keg in kc
08-15-2007, 01:45 PM
Hochevar has sucked baows so far as well..The conspiracy theory is that it's intentional, to get him somewhere else, but I don't see how that would work.

Sure-Oz
08-15-2007, 01:47 PM
The conspiracy theory is that it's intentional, to get him somewhere else, but I don't see how that would work.
I heard that borass changed his delivery or something...

I just think it would be stupid to sabatoge your career like that. I think he just kinda sucks right now.

His K #'s are pretty dang good but that doesn't match that lovely ERA of his.

Deberg_1990
08-15-2007, 02:03 PM
I think it would be funny if all major league franchises put a ban on Boras.

If you secure him as your agent, then they don't get signed. People would stop dealing with Boras.

Boras is a douche.

It will never happen. Youve got clubs out there like the Yankees and Boston with the philosophy of "win at all costs" where money is no object unfortunately...

VonneMarie
08-15-2007, 05:17 PM
MOUSTAKAS WATCH | Agent says player is going to college
By SAM MELLINGER
The Kansas City Star

The first real bit of news about the Royals’ negotiations with No. 2 overall pick Mike Moustakas come in the form of a message to The Kansas City Star from Scott Boras, who is advising Moustakas.

“As far as I understand from the family,” Boras said, “he’s returning to school.”

Moustakas did not immediately return a phone message.

Moustakas previously signed a letter of intent with USC. If nothing is done by 10:59 tonight Kansas City time, the Royals would receive the No. 3 pick in next year’s draft as compensation.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/story/233027.html

Ploy anyone?

Hootie
08-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Who cares...give us the #3 next year.

Braincase
08-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Now watch the kid pop a knee... happened to my cousin (Mr. Baseball, Arizona)....

alnorth
08-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Honestly, I hope we dont sign him. From what I've read, most other clubs are not nearly as high on this kid as the Royals, and next year's draft is apparently going to be far stronger.

A #3 next year will likely be more valuable than our #2 pick this year, and if we went with a college player next time he'd be ready quicker than Moustakas anyway.

Brianfo
08-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Go ahead Dayton Moore, make a stance. This insanity has to stop. The Detroit Tigers threw a wrench into the whole scenario. What the hell are they thinking. The rest of baseball should feel like the Tigers think they are above the league. Something has to change. It doesn't matter if Boras' clients fall in the draft if another team like the Yankmees or Red Sucks ultimately sign that client. I am a die hard Royals fan, but my faith in baseball as a sport is going to take a serious hit if this sh+% doesn't come to a head. F#$@ U Scott Boras!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chiefqueen
08-15-2007, 06:31 PM
You noticed Boras said returning to school, but did not mention USC in particukar. If Moose goes to USC, he must wait until 2010 to get drafted, however, if he attends a JUCO, he can be drafted next year.

Watching this go down leaves me wondering makes it easier for big market cluns to get top talent from the get-go and not have to wait for them to become a free agent.

Watch Moose go to a JUCO, get drafted by the Yanks or Dodgers, and happily sign 2-3 days after the draft for significantly less money.

Mr. Laz
08-15-2007, 06:31 PM
MOUSTAKAS WATCH | Agent says player is going to college
By SAM MELLINGER
The Kansas City Star

The first real bit of news about the Royals’ negotiations with No. 2 overall pick Mike Moustakas come in the form of a message to The Kansas City Star from Scott Boras, who is advising Moustakas.

“As far as I understand from the family,” Boras said, “he’s returning to school.”

Moustakas did not immediately return a phone message.

Moustakas previously signed a letter of intent with USC. If nothing is done by 10:59 tonight Kansas City time, the Royals would receive the No. 3 pick in next year’s draft as compensation.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/story/233027.html

Ploy anyone?

he might go back to college ...... but it's definitely a ploy.

Boras is trying to pressure the team to raise their offer.

just like when free agents try and float rumors about how there are tons of teams interested in signing their guy.

teedubya
08-15-2007, 06:33 PM
MOUSTAKAS can suck my cocknass.

KevB
08-15-2007, 07:53 PM
he might go back to college ...... but it's definitely a ploy.

Boras is trying to pressure the team to raise their offer.

just like when free agents try and float rumors about how there are tons of teams interested in signing their guy.

It's actually very pathetic. Do they think a statement like this made to the press in Kansas City is going to sway the organization? It's not like there will be rioting in the streets if the kid doesn't sign. F 'em. I hope he goes to USC and sucks, then gets drafted in the 50th round in 3 years (if he doesn't sign). Bottom line, you have an opportunity to be set for life and play baseball for a living. At some point, if they R's aren't budging, I tell my agent to take a hike and sign the deal.

Mecca
08-15-2007, 08:53 PM
This thread is somewhat amusing now....wishing injury and bad things on the guy now.

Also the Tigers shit is my favorite, hey the Tigers don't care and rightfully so. They signed their player, so nothing else is their problem. If I sign my player and you don't then blame me as the reason I'd laugh and go your problem not mine I signed my guy.

petegz28
08-15-2007, 08:54 PM
No

Mecca
08-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Also David Price did sign with Tampa.....

Coogs
08-15-2007, 09:06 PM
For high schoolers who decide to attend a four-year college, they will have to wait until 2010 to enter the Draft odyssey once again.

I know time is getting short, but this should work in the Royals favor I would think.

petegz28
08-15-2007, 09:09 PM
We won't sign him...

Hammock Parties
08-15-2007, 09:09 PM
wow... this really is an entire team meltdown... I guess these past 2-3 months of fairly decent baseball was just a total stroke of luck....

Mecca
08-15-2007, 09:47 PM
i still personally think it looks really bad to not sign a pick when he was 2nd overall.

Demonpenz
08-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Oh well we didn't blow money on a dude who hasn't proved shit yet. We get two picks in a deeper draft next year and can lock up teahan and some other of our good players

Bowser
08-15-2007, 09:54 PM
i still personally think it looks really bad to not sign a pick when he was 2nd overall.

Not all the blame lies with the team. It's up to the player as much as a team to sign him, and in this case, the agent.

Mecca
08-15-2007, 09:55 PM
If they resign Teahen I'll stop being a fan.

tk13
08-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Baseball America is now reporting breaking news that Joe Posnanski says Moustakas has signed. No word on terms yet.

ChiTown
08-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Baseball America is now reporting breaking news that Joe Posnanski says Moustakas has signed. No word on terms yet.

If true, that's great news.

Bowser
08-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Baseball America is just reporting breaking news that Posnanski says Moustakas has signed. No word on terms yet.

LMAO

But, but, the meltdown was IMMINENT!!!!

Mecca
08-15-2007, 10:06 PM
That's positive news.......going to the last second.

Bowser

So Borass would rather have his cut of 3.5-4 mil instead of seeing a blue chip prospect play college ball for three years? Shocking, I tell ya!

Eleazar
Metrosports reporting he is signed too. Coverage coming up.

petegz28
08-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Metrosports reporting he is signed too. Coverage coming up.

sweet

Eleazar
08-15-2007, 10:10 PM
MLBlogs reporting that the bonus is around $4 million

petegz28
08-15-2007, 10:12 PM
6 year 11.25 million $ contract

DeezNutz
08-15-2007, 10:13 PM
This is terrible. We needed to hold firm to the slotting system. It's the only way we're ever going to be able to compete.

Love,
Kevin Kietzman

Mecca
08-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Probably had something to do with David Price signing so there was some form of a market set around him.

petegz28
08-15-2007, 10:16 PM
This is terrible. We needed to hold firm to the slotting system. It's the only way we're ever going to be able to compete.

Love,
Kevin Kietzman

I can't stand KK.

chiefqueen
08-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Everybody's happy (I guess) all No. 1 picks have signed.

Eleazar
08-15-2007, 10:18 PM
Metrosports is going to carry the teleconference, supposedly, whenever it happens.

DeezNutz
08-15-2007, 10:20 PM
I can't stand KK.

He can be pretty brutal. Petro is the only guy on 810 worth listening to because his arguments, generally, are based on research, not just emotion.

Bowser
08-15-2007, 10:23 PM
THE MUSTAKAS SIGNING IS 1/20th OF WHAT A DOWNTOWN ARENA COULD HAVE BEEN BUILT FOR!!! WHY ARE WE THROWING MONEY AWAY LIKE THIS??? WHY DO THE ROYALS HATE ME?????

Demonpenz
08-15-2007, 10:24 PM
THE MUSTAKAS SIGNING IS 1/20th OF WHAT A DOWNTOWN ARENA COULD HAVE BEEN BUILT FOR!!! WHY ARE WE THROWING MONEY AWAY LIKE THIS??? WHY DO THE ROYALS HATE ME?????

CLINKSCALE: Well in fairness to the royals I did make a birdie putt on the back nine of woods creek yesterday

Mecca
08-15-2007, 10:25 PM
I wonder what 810 will talk about now since the Royals won't be on there anymore.

DeezNutz
08-15-2007, 10:26 PM

Carl tried to get me fired when I worked at Fox. He has no friends. Croyle's terrible. There's not much to look forward to as far as the Chiefs are concerned. But you should eat at the 810 Zone.

DeezNutz
08-15-2007, 10:27 PM
I wonder what 810 will talk about now since the Royals won't be on there anymore.

What all sports fans want to listen to in the afternoon, grilling tips.

Bowser
08-15-2007, 10:27 PM
CLINKSCALE: Well in fairness to the royals I did make a birdie putt on the back nine of woods creek yesterday

JACK HARRY: Haa-haa-haaaaaaaa!!

Demonpenz
08-15-2007, 10:28 PM
810 is almost a parady of itself I sometimes think they are joking and they aren't pretty sad.

Eleazar
08-15-2007, 10:29 PM
What all sports fans want to listen to in the afternoon, grilling tips.

Grilling tips
Golf
KU football
KSU football
more golf

DeezNutz
08-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Grilling tips
Golf
KU football
KSU football
more golf

The exploits of Powercat somebody, and my very favorite, The Racing Boys. Hit after hit after freaking hit.

Demonpenz
08-15-2007, 10:32 PM
to be fair kirk elliot and the racing boys always gets high ratings. That's why they are on like 5 different stations

tk13
08-15-2007, 10:33 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AvV_k_ztCuWM5XaXzvUu1NEc0bYF?slug=ap-royals-moustakas&prov=ap&type=lgns

According to the AP, Boras called Dayton 11 minutes before the deadline to accept the deal.

Mecca
08-15-2007, 10:35 PM
The only person on 810 I ever find interesting or want to hear is Crabtree from Rivals.

Demonpenz
millionaire or schoolwork.

Eleazar
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AvV_k_ztCuWM5XaXzvUu1NEc0bYF?slug=ap-royals-moustakas&prov=ap&type=lgns

According to Yahoo Sports, Boras called Dayton 11 minutes before the deadline to accept the deal.

Ahh... Dayton might have hunted the hunter here.

Demonpenz
Surprise crabtree is a ksu alumni

Demonpenz
08-15-2007, 10:36 PM
soren interviewed boros one time. He came off like a likeable guy.

DeezNutz
08-15-2007, 10:39 PM
to be fair kirk elliot and the racing boys always gets high ratings. That's why they are on like 5 different stations

They might. But I'm as interested in racing as I am the WNBA.

Eleazar
08-15-2007, 10:42 PM
High School Player of the Year: Mike Moustakas

Moustakas has a knack for making the big play

If you weren't there, all you need to do is listen as Jason Hisey tells the story. The head coach of USA Baseball's 2006 junior national team and a former Team USA player himself, Hisey was in the third-base dugout during an elimination game of last year's World Junior Championships against Cuba at Huelga Stadium in Sancti Spiritus, Cuba, when Mike Moustakas made "the catch."

With Cuba's best hitter up and Team USA grasping for confidence after an unconvincing showing in the tournament's pool play, Moustakas, an infielder by trade, tracked a deep fly ball to the warning track in left field, gathered himself, and leaped to reach over the wall and steal a three-run home run from Cuban phenom Dayan Viciedo.

"You should have seen him," Hisey likes to recall of Viciedo, the slugger who stopped in the midst of his home run trot when Moustakas made the catch. "It was one of those moments you don't forget."

The play shifted momentum of the game, which Team USA went on to win, and exemplifies the type of player Moustakas has always known he is, but some were reluctant to acknowledge during most of his unprecedented high school career.

The senior from Chatsworth (Calif.) High carried the momentum of his performance in Cuba into this season, belting a California single-season record 24 home runs, which amounted to 52 for his career, also a state record.

"Moose," as he's known around the field, slugged his way to becoming the first high school player drafted this year when he was taken with the second pick by the Royals. He was selected as the Los Angeles City Section player of the year for the second consecutive season, and trumped that honor by becoming just the second player from the Golden State to be named Baseball America's High School Player of the Year.

"One of his last games I saw, he hit two long home runs," Royals scouting director Deric Ladnier said. "It was almost as if you expected it to happen, and it did."

Expecting The Best

Despite Moustakas' track record of performance as an underclassman in high school, the expectations of his professional potential were relatively modest as he prepared for his final campaign. Although he's manned the middle of the diamond as the Chancellors' shortstop since he was a freshman in 2004, somewhere in just about every scouting report on the 5-foot-11, 175-pounder was a line about his pudgy body and lack of a true position.

Last August at the Area Code Games in Long Beach, Moustakas moved from shortstop to third base to catcher, and while he showed some promise at the plate, there was not a consensus he'd hit enough to profile as an everyday player at a corner infield position. Because of the depth of high school hitters in Southern California's Class of 2007, Moustakas entered the spring without a distinct designation as one of the country's elite prospects. He was even considered his team's second-best player, behind third baseman Matt Dominguez.

All along, Moustakas was quietly confident, and this spring the masses began to concur.

"It was one of the few times that (the scouting staff) sat around the room and we felt this guy was going to hit, and he was going to hit big, and everyone in the room felt strongly about that," Ladnier said.

Hitting big became a specialty of Moustakas' as soon as he stepped onto the field for Chatsworth's varsity squad his freshman season. He quickly carved out a spot in the Chancellors' starting lineup and batted .321-2-19 with 23 walks, 10 strikeouts and nine doubles while starting all 35 games for Chatsworth's second of back-to-back national championship teams that went 35-0. A year later he upped his average to .482 with 12 home runs, 51 RBIs, 18 doubles and a .991 fielding percentage as a sophomore.

The records began to fall in 2006. The first one Moustakas claimed was the school's single-season home run record when he slugged 14 to go along with a .427 average as a junior.

He worked diligently on his conditioning and when he came out for his final high school season, weighed in at 6-feet, 190 pounds and matched his uncanny knack for hitting with the physical tools--including an outstanding arm that allowed him to throw high-90s fastballs as Chatsworth's closer--to dominate his competition.

Shattering Season

On May 8 against El Camino Real High (Woodland Hills, Calif.), Moustakas slammed a first-inning home run over the right-field fence for the 48th of his career, breaking the state record set by John Drennen, a first-team All-American in 2005 out of San Diego's Rancho Bernardo High and now an Indians farmhand.

A week later, Chris Walston's (El Capitan High, Lakeside) single-season state record came tumbling down when Moustakas drilled his 22nd home run, another tape-measure shot that sailed over two chain-link fences and landed on the windshield of the opposing team's right fielder's Toyota Corolla.

Moustakas would add two more for good measure down the stretch, helping Chatsworth win another City Section championship and finish with a No. 8 national ranking. He finished his senior season 56-for-97 (.577) with seven doubles, four triples and 59 RBIs. He walked 28 times and struck out twice.

He's humble, a student of the game, well liked by his teammates and classmates and figures to be a multi-millionaire by the end of the summer if he decides to shun Southern California for a chance to sign with Kansas City.

You might not have been there to see it, but his story is one you don't forget.

tk13
08-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Ahh... Dayton might have hunted the hunter here.
If he truly signed for $4 million, no ML-roster spot, Dayton took Boras to school.

Eleazar
08-15-2007, 10:43 PM
If he truly signed for $4 million, no ML-roster spot, Dayton took Boras to school.

Gotta be something we don't know here... I thought he wanted 7 on the bonus.

Demonpenz
08-15-2007, 10:47 PM
mouse probably looked around and said You work for me don't like ramon noodles

Ebolapox
08-15-2007, 10:50 PM
the funny thing is (and I know, agents say weird sh*t to sell their players) that bore-ass (he drills asses) claimed that moose was the best high school infield prospect since (heh) alex f*cking rodriguez

it was then that I realized boras is the only person on earth who has perfected the 'brown noise'--cause I sh*t myself from laughing when I read that originally.

KevB
08-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Gotta be something we don't know here... I thought he wanted 7 on the bonus.

The something that happened was Boras played chicken with Dayton, but in the background the kid and his family said we want to sign...period. Kudos to the kid.

Ebolapox
08-15-2007, 11:02 PM
The something that happened was Boras played chicken with Dayton, but in the background the kid and his family said we want to sign...period. Kudos to the kid.

when in rome. (referring to your avatar)

Mecca
08-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Well it's hard to turn down 4 mill when you are 18.....

keg in kc
08-15-2007, 11:57 PM
If he truly signed for $4 million, no ML-roster spot, Dayton took Boras to school.Damn. No shit.

Good on the Royals for #1 not blinking and #2 paying what it took in the end, because I do believe that is still over and above the slotting.

BWillie
08-16-2007, 01:38 AM
It's pretty sad where in the MLB draft, you don't pick the player you actually want because of "signability" issues. You pick a the best player you think you can sign, I think that is completely retarded. It sounds like Mustakas or whatever his name is, will be a great great hitter, but most scouts acknowledge that the Royals had to pass on some prospects just because they wouldn't be able to sign them.

tk13
08-16-2007, 02:19 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/180/story/233989.html

Royals get Moustakas at last minute
By JOE POSNANSKI

Well, say this for Scott Boras: He does make things interesting. All day on Wednesday, Kansas City Royals executives had grown convinced that they had lost their first-round draft pick, Mike Moustakas. There was anger, sadness, indignation, disbelief.

No baseball team had lost that high a pick in 10 years.

The “Oh man, what a Royals’ disaster” column was written.

And at 10:58 — one minute before the deadline hit — the phone rang.

“We came to terms,” Royals vice president of communications Mike Swanson said.

On this night, these were four magical words. The “What a Royals disaster” column was placed in the computer recycle bin. And all the bad feelings, frustration, confusion of the last couple of months dissolved like a mouthful of cotton candy. That’s how it goes in negotiations.

The Royals knew they were taking a big chance when they drafted Moustakas way back in June. They liked what they saw — a power-hitting infielder with leadership skills. They liked what they heard — Moustakas made it clear that he just wanted to play ball. They liked everything about him, except for that one thing. The kid’s agent was Boras.

Boras, you might know, can make things hard on a team trying to sign a player. So in the hours before the draft, Royals scouting director Deric Ladnier met with the Moustakas family. He came out of that meeting confident that the kid wanted to be a part of the Kansas City Royals, and that money would not be a problem. An hour and a half before the draft, Royals general manager Dayton Moore had Ladnier call the family again to be sure. If anything, Mike Moustakas Sr. was even more positive about his son signing.

“It’s your pick,” Moore told Ladnier that day.

And they took Moustakas.

Then, the tension began. People do not always understand just how good Scott Boras is at his job. He does not win these negotiations by ranting and raving and threatening. Often, he doesn’t say anything at all. For almost two months, the Royals never once talked to Boras or anyone from his office. It’s hard to negotiate with silence.

The Royals kept plugging away. This year, for the first time, there was an Aug. 15 deadline set — a team would either sign a player by midnight Eastern time or lose that player. Several members of the Royals talked with the Moustakas family. Each left believing strongly that Moustakas would sign. The Royals offered a $3.15 million bonus — this was exactly the amount that the commissioner’s office had recommended the Royals offer — and they had been led to believe that this should be enough for a high school kid who seemed so determined to play ball.

In return, they got more silence.

A day before the deadline, things took a turn for the worse. They heard from Boras’ lieutenant Scott Chiamparino — he said things had changed. Some big money deals were being signed (many of them Boras deals, of course). They now wanted $7 million.

The Royals were not stunned — this wasn’t the first rodeo for Moore or Ladnier. They had dealt with Boras demands before. But it’s fair to say this offer left its mark. For the first time, the awful possibility seemed real: They might not sign Mike Moustakas. They might lose the No. 2 pick in the draft. Ladnier says he first really understood it when he saw a clock on the Internet that showed how many hours and minutes were left until midnight struck.

Dayton Moore went back to owner David Glass to talk things through.

“How much should we offer?” Glass asked.

Moore thought a lot about it. On the one hand, he felt like promises had been made and were not being kept. On the other hand, he understood what was at stake.

“I say we go to $4 million,” Moore said. His reason was simple: That’s how much the Royals gave Alex Gordon for being the No. 2 pick in the country. Moore was unwilling to pay Moustakas more than the team gave Gordon, who had been the best college baseball player in America. But he was willing to go there.

Glass agreed. A good word should be said about Glass here: He is friends with commissioner Bud Selig, and he (like Selig) believes that it’s bad for the industry when teams give out huge signing bonuses to unproven high school and college players. But he also has worked very hard to give Dayton Moore what he needs to succeed as GM.

The Royals made the $4 million offer. And they waited. And they waited. And waited. And based on some conversations during the waiting period, it’s fair to say that several Royals executives were not too hopeful.

But Scott Boras certainly has a sense for the dramatic. At 10:49 Central time — 10 minutes before the deadline — he called and agreed to the deal. The only surprise was that he didn’t wait until five minutes before. The Royals celebrated. Everything was forgotten. Mike Moustakas is a part of the team now, and he has said that he’s ready to start playing as soon as possible.

And that’s good, because after all this work, all this tension, all this drama, it’s easy to forget that Mike Moustakas is just 18 years old. He isn’t likely to play ball for the Royals for at least three or four years. By then, the last two months of anxiety will be forgotten. To tell you the truth, it’s forgotten already. The deal’s done.

hawkchief
08-16-2007, 05:00 AM
Great news for the Royals. We need talent now, not a year from now. The kid seems to have some serious potential. Better we get him that the Yankees.

cookster50
08-16-2007, 06:08 AM
I thought I heard on the radio it was a ML deal.

Stewie
08-16-2007, 06:17 AM
No ML contract. I like the fact that the kid wants to play baseball. $4 mil for a guy right out of high school may not be enough for Scott Bor-ass, but I'm betting Moustakas thinks it's a hell of a lot of money. I'm pretty sure he signed against the wishes of Bor-ass, too.

cookster50
08-16-2007, 06:29 AM
No ML contract. I like the fact that the kid wants to play baseball. $4 mil for a guy right out of high school may not be enough for Scott Bor-ass, but I'm betting Moustakas thinks it's a hell of a lot of money. I'm pretty sure he signed against the wishes of Bor-ass, too.
If that is true, then this is great. $4 mill for the number 2 pick is not a bad signing.

Sure-Oz
08-16-2007, 07:29 AM
Props to the kid for coming through at the end, lets hope he is worth it and we got our guy, finally.

HonestChieffan
08-16-2007, 07:56 AM
Another reason to hate the Royals and Baseball in general. Its sinking into the same pit as soccer.

Chief Chief
08-16-2007, 08:16 AM
I'm hoping the Royals learned this very important lesson and will stick to it in perpetuity:

BOYCOTT BORAS!!

Eleazar
08-16-2007, 08:55 AM
According to MLB, he got basically the same contract as Alex Gordon, only not a major-league contract.

This is a win for Dayton Moore, IMO

Sam Hall
08-16-2007, 09:19 AM
The only person on 810 I ever find interesting or want to hear is Crabtree from Rivals.

I'd much rather see Arthur Brown playing for USC than Oklahoma.

Braincase
08-16-2007, 09:21 AM
:clap:

Mr. Laz
08-16-2007, 09:45 AM
that's what i was thinking

:clap:

Bowser
08-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Another reason to hate the Royals and Baseball in general. Its sinking into the same pit as soccer.

Stow the dipshittery.

HemiEd
08-16-2007, 10:01 AM
That was a great article and things are truly looking up for the Royals. Dayton Moore is exactly what this team has needed for a long time.

Mr. Laz
08-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Dayton Moore is exactly what this team has needed for a long time.

it's sure beginning to look like it. :)

KevB
08-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Props to the kid for coming through at the end, lets hope he is worth it and we got our guy, finally.

Completely agree. I guarantee his "advisor" didn't want him to sign. In the end, he and his family did exactly what they should have done. Let their agent shake down the organization and get as much money as possible, then sign on the dotted line. This actually turned out to be a well executed process for all involved.

VonneMarie
08-16-2007, 12:17 PM
LMAO - I'm just glad we got him.

Mecca
08-16-2007, 01:18 PM
I'd much rather see Arthur Brown playing for USC than Oklahoma.

The last player Oklahoma took that we wanted was DeMarco Murray.....problem is they didn't view him the same as Oklahoma. Oklahoma thought he was Reggie Bush v2 we wanted him to be a DB. So it's all subjective about what Oklahoma does with these guys.