PDA

View Full Version : Collection Agencies

BWillie
08-15-2007, 12:39 AM
The last apartment complex I was at is now charging us 269 dollars of BS crap. Such 15 dollars for a wrapper left on the ground, light bulb not working, and a ton of BS phantom crap. Most of which was already there. Got the letter stating that if we do not pay bla bla bla bla bla, they will send to a collection agency.

I've had collection agencies call my cell phone before asking for other people that I have no idea who they are, and it's obvious from the start it's a collection agency. I call them back and be like, hey what do you want, and then I just tell them they have the wrong # and they don't call me back again. I have a great credit rating, so I could care less if it goes against my credit or not. I don't even know it would effect it or not. The main reason I don't want to pay this place is because of all the repeated things they tried to charge us for in the past. They tried to tell us we paid our rent late 2 times, and tried to charge us 50 dollars extra when we physically handed it to the people. They never fixed anything we ever needed them to do, and screwed us on our lease once I got there, jacking up the price once I got there with all my shit loaded up and had driven five hours. So it's more of a principal thing. I would think by taking it to court for 269 dollars would not be worth while for them, and difficult to justify what they charged us for anyway. In college, we didn't pay a 700 bill one time to an apartment complex and nothing ever happened..so I'm doubting they will take it to court for this.

Anybody got any tips for me?

el borracho
08-15-2007, 12:48 AM
Just pay the $269 to avoid any credit damage and later throw a rock through each of their office windows.

08-15-2007, 12:51 AM
Sounds like they have you over a barrel. Pay it or file in court. Sucks but those are really the only options you have. You DON'T want the hit on your credit.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-15-2007, 12:52 AM
I worked 12 years in the recovery industry. Let me give you some insight as to what you are up against. The chances of them taking you to court are pretty slim. Unless of course they have an asset, in which case they'll take you to court for not only the $269 but the court costs, attorneys fees, finance charges, and interest as well. They'll get it too. Suddenly you're looking at a $1000 judgment and you can't rent from any place that isn't already a rat hole.

They will report it to your credit bureau and it WILL most certainly affect your score in the worst way possible. You will pay that $269 x 100 with the higher interest rates you'll get every single time you borrow money.

The only way you are going to get out of this unscathed is if you did a walk through moving into the unit, and a walk through moving out. If you did not, you have no legal leg to stand on.

Don't shoot the messenger, if you didn't do a walk through, pay the money, learn the lesson, and don't ever let it happen again. Landlords are almost as scummy as bill collectors and car salesmen. Pay the bill, it's your best option.

Ebolapox
08-15-2007, 12:54 AM
I'd pay it--it's only 269, and it could really save you some cash in the long run.

08-15-2007, 12:54 AM
I'd pay it--it's only 269, and it could really save you some cash in the long run.
Why does that remind me of some annoying commercial from the past?

el borracho
08-15-2007, 12:59 AM
You could pay it and then subsequently sue them for it. You probably wouldn't win back the money but you would save your credit and annoy them.

Ebolapox
08-15-2007, 01:00 AM
Why does that remind me of some annoying commercial from the past?

well, it reminds me of a movie I saw the other day. (2) and (9-6=3)...

TWENTY F*CKING THREE!!

DenverChief
08-15-2007, 01:00 AM
You could pay it and then subsequently sue them for it. You probably wouldn't win back the money but you would save your credit and annoy them.
yeah in small claims court...no lawyers...good stuff

08-15-2007, 01:04 AM
well, it reminds me of a movie I saw the other day. (2) and (9-6=3)...

TWENTY F*CKING THREE!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! not that damn number again.

BWillie
08-15-2007, 01:09 AM
How come they charged us $700 dollars in addition to our deposit in college 3 years ago and nothing remotely has ever happened since? My credit rating no joke was 790 something when I signed up for citibanks credit score thing on accident. The only thing I would ever borrow money for is if I would purchase a house someday. I do not purchase vehicles on credit, but with cash only. If my credit rating went down 20 points, I really do not care. Especially for 269 dollars.

SPchief
08-15-2007, 01:11 AM
I worked 12 years in the recovery industry. Let me give you some insight as to what you are up against. The chances of them taking you to court are pretty slim. Unless of course they have an asset, in which case they'll take you to court for not only the $269 but the court costs, attorneys fees, finance charges, and interest as well. They'll get it too. Suddenly you're looking at a $1000 judgment and you can't rent from any place that isn't already a rat hole.

They will report it to your credit bureau and it WILL most certainly affect your score in the worst way possible. You will pay that $269 x 100 with the higher interest rates you'll get every single time you borrow money.

The only way you are going to get out of this unscathed is if you did a walk through moving into the unit, and a walk through moving out. If you did not, you have no legal leg to stand on.

Don't shoot the messenger, if you didn't do a walk through, pay the money, learn the lesson, and don't ever let it happen again. Landlords are almost as scummy as bill collectors and car salesmen. Pay the bill, it's your best option.

He's right. If you did a walkthrough, (which everybody should do) then they have no leg to stand on.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-15-2007, 01:14 AM
How come they charged us $700 dollars in addition to our deposit in college 3 years ago and nothing remotely has ever happened since? My credit rating no joke was 790 something when I signed up for citibanks credit score thing on accident. The only thing I would ever borrow money for is if I would purchase a house someday. I do not purchase vehicles on credit, but with cash only. If my credit rating went down 20 points, I really do not care. Especially for 269 dollars.

20 points? Try 200. Probably not that much, but that's a closer reality than 20. Your choice, I'm not trying to talk you into anything, I'm just letting you know how it works from an insider perspective. I've been on both ends of this rope.

Valiant
08-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Pay the bill and then go break about 269 dollars worth of shit and poor gas all over their grass and trees...