PDA

View Full Version : Cops/DUI question.....

CoMoChief
08-15-2007, 10:59 AM
I had my roommate pick me up from a bar last night and took me home, where I then passed out. Woke up this morning and I had about 4-5 missed calls from this girl-friend of mine at around 3am.

Apparently she got pulled over because the light on her license plate was out, but it was early in the morning right after bar time so a cop thinks immedately that she's been drinking more likely than not. She was drinking earlier in the night, but she didn't have much from what I can remember at least. Cop made her get out and do all of the sobriety tests etc and she passed them. Cops wanted her to blow and said you can do it here or at the station so she chose the station. When she got to the station she blew a .03 IIRC from what she told me today.

The cops wouldnt take her back to her car and someone had to wake up to come get her, only to find that her car has already been towed from the side of the road and it was a specialized tow in which it costed her $150 to get her car from the tow lot.

Was that a dick thing for the cop to have her car towed instead of taking her back to her car, and are they allowed to do that? I think it was a dick move really.

Jilly
08-15-2007, 11:01 AM
That same thing happened to me in Fairway a few months back. They called my husband to come get me and had my car towed, it sucked.

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Revenue baby.

pikesome
08-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Was that a dick thing for the cop to have her car towed instead of taking her back to her car, and are they allowed to do that? I think it was a dick move really.

Yes, yes and yes it was. These are the things that get cops called bad names. She did opt to go down to the station for the test though.

StcChief
08-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Car needs to be legal always if you're partying......

She didn't blow at the scene. He could have said the car would be towed, when they left. could have pulled in to a parking lot at least.

Cops wonder why people hate them.

Eleazar
08-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Shouldn't have chosen the station.

Should check the car's lighting occasionally.

ChiefsfaninPA
08-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Why did she want to go to the station for the test? That was her first mistake. As much as he was being a dick, she could've just taken the test especially if she knew she was okay. It sounds like she was buying some time.

cadmonkey
08-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Shouldn't have chosen the station.

Should check the car's lighting occasionally.

Always choose the station if they give you the option. It gives you more time to sober up and possibly lower the BAC.

The issue with the car being towed; if she was by herself and she was taken away the car gets towed. The cops won't left the car just stay on the side of the road. They also don't take you back to your car if you don't blow an illegal BAC. If they take you to the station and then let you go you are on your own.

This is all speaking from personal experience.

CoMoChief
08-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Why did she want to go to the station for the test? That was her first mistake. As much as he was being a dick, she could've just taken the test especially if she knew she was okay. It sounds like she was buying some time.

I wouldve bought myself some time as well. The lower the better. The cop should have at least given her some heads up as far as getting the car towed.

catfish307
08-15-2007, 11:17 AM
I don't think the cop is going to take her back to her car since she tested a .03. She is still under the influence of alcohol and could have been written a DUI even though she didn't test the legal limit. As far as her car getting towed, if it was a traffic hazard on the side of the road, it can be towed.

Chiefnj2
08-15-2007, 11:17 AM
If she passed the field tests it would appear that the police officer did not have probable cause to bring her into the station, except that she may have unknowingly consented.

Eleazar
08-15-2007, 11:23 AM
If she passed the field tests it would appear that the police officer did not have probable cause to bring her into the station, except that she may have unknowingly consented.

By what act of logical acrobatics does finding nothing upon inspection mean there was never probable cause in the first place?

ChiefsFire
08-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Did she offer to blow him??

Im just sayin what alotta people are thinking....

Eleazar
08-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Always choose the station if they give you the option. It gives you more time to sober up and possibly lower the BAC.

If she was sober, then it was dumb to choose the station. If she was drunk, I don't feel sorry for her and her towing bill.

CoMoChief
08-15-2007, 11:28 AM
If she was sober, then it was dumb to choose the station. If she was drunk, I don't feel sorry for her and her towing bill.
Always choose the station. I can drink 3 beers and legally be drunk even though I don't feel anything. She was probably thinking the same thing.

EyePod
08-15-2007, 11:28 AM
At least she didn't get a DUI. 150 bucks is nothing compared to losing your license.

CoMoChief
08-15-2007, 11:30 AM
At least she didn't get a DUI. 150 bucks is nothing compared to losing your license.
True but that's not really the point here.

cadmonkey
08-15-2007, 11:31 AM

obviously if you are sober you have zero to worry about. if you had even one drink, just one, go to the station.

Skip Towne
The reason cops are in no hurry to test is, if you just came out of a bar and just had a drink, your BAC can actually rise for an hour or so.

cadmonkey

Tell me about it. I can't drive until 2009

Sure-Oz
08-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Shit happens, could've been much worse though. Just pay it and forget it.

catfish307
08-15-2007, 11:33 AM
The deal with choosing the station over the side of the road are 2 different tests. The one on the side of the road is usually a PBT which is just another form of field sobriety test and is not the result used for prosecution. The test on the machine at the jail is the one that will be used. When you get your drivers license, you consent to be tested by Law Enforcement if they believe you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs. If you refuse to do so, you will lose your license.

Chiefnj2
08-15-2007, 11:35 AM
By what act of logical acrobatics does finding nothing upon inspection mean there was never probable cause in the first place?
Why was she pulled over in the first place?

Eleazar
08-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Why was she pulled over in the first place?

Come on, you know the cop will say she was pulled over for the light, then he smelled alcohol on her.

Chiefnj2
08-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Come on, you know the cop will say she was pulled over for the light, then he smelled alcohol on her.

Exactly. She wasn't pulled over for a moving violation. She was not driving in a manner that would suggest she was dui. Then, she passes the field sobriety test. At that point, what is the justification for a breathalyzer?

HonestChieffan
08-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Stupid move in todays world to drink and drive. Cab is way cheaper

catfish307
08-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Who said she passed the tests? Did the cop tell her that or does she believe she passed them? That is the question?

Chiefnj2
08-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Who said she passed the tests? Did the cop tell her that or does she believe she passed them? That is the question?
If she failed wouldn't she have been placed under arrest and put in cuffs and read her rights?

catfish307
08-15-2007, 11:59 AM
If she failed wouldn't she have been placed under arrest and put in cuffs and read her rights?
She should have been. People are not usually give the choice of taking a PBT or voluntarily going to the station to take the real test. When you take the test at the station, you are read your rights and implied consent which both state that "you are under arrest".

ChiefsfaninPA
08-15-2007, 12:07 PM
This is why under no circumstance do I drive after I drink. I only drink if I am staying put. But my life is pretty boring when it comes to partying.

Demonpenz
08-15-2007, 12:09 PM
as much as you get beat to death with drinking and driving is wrong If you choose to do it I don't think you can complain about shit. You know you aren't supposed to do it. You have that choice when you put the keys in the ignition. I did it the other day I had 2 beers. I thought about it and decided that I was ok. If I got pulled over I would have been blaiming myself not a cop.

ChiefsfaninPA
08-15-2007, 12:11 PM
as much as you get beat to death with drinking and driving is wrong If you choose to do it I don't think you can complain about shit. You know you aren't supposed to do it. You have that choice when you put the keys in the ignition. I did it the other day I had 2 beers. I thought about it and decided that I was ok. If I got pulled over I would have been blaiming myself not a cop.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unfortunately in our society, it is always someone else's fault.

Jilly

I blame myself for what happened to me, I really do. But I honestly didn't think 2 beers two hours earlier would still be in my system...and I'm glad they didn't give me a DUI...but...I just wonder how accurate those tests are.

Chiefnj2
She should have been. People are not usually give the choice of taking a PBT or voluntarily going to the station to take the real test. When you take the test at the station, you are read your rights and implied consent which both state that "you are under arrest".

Exactly. The circumstances are extremely suspect. The cop was hoping he lucked into a DUI. He was hoping that even though she wasn't driving erratically and passed the field tests she'd "consent" to going down to the station and that she'd blow a .080001.

You don't give up your rights by having a drink.

bobbything
08-15-2007, 12:13 PM
edit: nevermind

Demonpenz
08-15-2007, 12:14 PM
I blame myself for what happened to me, I really do. But I honestly didn't think 2 beers two hours earlier would still be in my system...and I'm glad they didn't give me a DUI...but...I just wonder how accurate those tests are.

Yes but of course you have heard before DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE.
It's not Don't drink more than 2 beers or drive
Don't drink more than 1 and drive.
it's DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE PERIOD

Jilly
08-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Yes but of course you have heard before DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE.
It's not Don't drink more than 2 beers or drive
Don't drink more than 1 and drive.
it's DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE PERIOD

yes, as i said, i blame myself

Sure-Oz
08-15-2007, 01:40 PM
If you have one or 2 beers dont speed then....period.

It seems 1 beer now days can get you a dui

Valiant
08-15-2007, 02:14 PM
I don't think the cop is going to take her back to her car since she tested a .03. She is still under the influence of alcohol and could have been written a DUI even though she didn't test the legal limit. As far as her car getting towed, if it was a traffic hazard on the side of the road, it can be towed.

Traffic hazard excuse my ass, cars sit on the side of the road for weeks in Missouri...

The cops get money off of those tows and there is no other excuse..

HonestChieffan
08-15-2007, 02:21 PM
im on the tow companies side. It should have been towed.

shaneo69
08-15-2007, 02:28 PM
First, the cop pulled her over for a bogus reason.

Then, she gave them proof that she was not breaking the law.

Finally, they towed her car out of spite, and she had to pay $150 to get it back.

The cops involved here were total dicks.

KC Kings
08-15-2007, 02:30 PM
We were watching Cops the other night and there were some tow truck drivers that had a great racket going. A stripper parks her boyfriends car in front of another business that has a "parking for customers only" sign in the front. The tow truck guy comes to tow at as the BF shows up to get his car. The driver says that since he is there already, it is going to be a $120 fee. The BF says wait, let me get my stripper GF for the money. He goes to find her and they come back with $120, but the tow truck driver has his wheels up on chocks. They charge a $20 per tire fee so even though they have the $120 it is now not enough and they owe $140. The girl gets pissed and throws the money at him. He gets scared and calls the cops. As the cops show up the stripper had run back inside to do another couple lap dances to get the additional money and when she is gone the Cops show up. The tow guy sees he is on Cops and calls his boss because it is cool. They get everything calmed down and the girl comes back with $140 but now since the Cops had to be called the tow boss says that they are going to add a $75 temper fee on top of everything else so they now owe $215 and their car gets towed. What a racket the tow business is.

HonestChieffan
08-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Hate when cops do their job getting suspected drunks off the road like that

Chiefnj2
08-15-2007, 02:42 PM
Hate when cops do their job getting suspected drunks off the road like that She wasn't a suspected drunk.

HonestChieffan
08-15-2007, 02:47 PM
sure she was

Skip Towne
08-15-2007, 02:49 PM
sure she was
Everybody is. It's a money grab.

Demonpenz
08-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Everybody is. It's a money grab.

yet people give them a reason to take our money

Skip Towne