PDA

View Full Version : ATTN Cat peoples: How to introduce a 2nd cat?

Saulbadguy
08-15-2007, 11:43 AM
We adopted another cat yesterday. We brought her home and put her in a half bathroom we have with a litterbox, food and water, and she seems to be adjusting fine, she is very social and loves to be around people.

However, when the existing cat saw her, he was not too happy. Right now we have a towel under the door so they can't see each other, only hear and smell. New cat seems to be doing very well adjusting to her new place, she is very calm and sociable, not timid at all.

I'm just wondering how long you think it will take for existing cat to not be hostile around new cat? New cat is a female, 2 years old, existing cat is a male, 1 1/2 years old. I'm thinking of taking the towel away tonight or tomorrow so they can kind of see each other under the door, but I think existing cat will just sit there and hiss all night.

Mr. Plow
08-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Antifreeze?

Seriously, I have no idea. I think I would handle it by locking them in a room together and telling them I won't let them out until they work out their differences. But then again, I'm not really a cat person. I have a cat, but she is scared of the kids so she stays outside a lot.

Chiefnj2
08-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Antifreeze

Damn. Mr. Plow beat me by seconds.

kepp
08-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Steel cage match

HemiEd
08-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Heck, just turn 'em loose together, they will work it out.

*edit* FWIW, I have never had a cat live very long my house, for one reason or another. We prefer dogs. I remember when one of my girls kittens nozed into our German Shepards dish, it was over very quick.

LiL stumppy
08-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Put a pitbull in the house with them. The cats will become friends faster than you can imagine.

gblowfish
08-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Here's three good links with info:
http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanagement101/a/introducecats.htm
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pets_introducingcat
http://www.homevet.com/petcare/petmeet.html#cats

Delano
08-15-2007, 11:50 AM
I doubt there is anything you can do to avoid some fighting. Unless cats are littermates, they will generally fight on introduction and occassionally into the future. They have to create and maintain the pecking order.

Seems like your current strategy is going to work. Gradual introduction may lead to less aggression.

Frazod
08-15-2007, 11:51 AM
See how they react to each other while supervised. Assuming one doesn't jump the other one, keep expanding their time together (keeping them separated, of course, when you're not around) until it becomes clear that they get along (or at least tolerate each others' existence).

Frankie
08-15-2007, 11:53 AM
However, when the existing cat saw her, he was not too happy.
What is he? Gay?

Frankie
08-15-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm just wondering how long you think it will take for existing cat to not be hostile around new cat? New cat is a female, 2 years old, existing cat is a male, 1 1/2 years old. I'm thinking of taking the towel away tonight or tomorrow so they can kind of see each other under the door, but I think existing cat will just sit there and hiss all night.
They'll get used to each other in about a week. Friends? it MAY never happen. And yes, do provide visual introduction.

StcChief
08-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Cats belong outside. If they live to kill mice, moles etc.
great. if they get eaten get another one.

FAX
This can be a very difficult problem to overcome, Mr. Saulbadguy. Cats can be quite territorial and often don't wish to socialize with a new cat.

If you are sincere about wanting the first cat to accept the second one, the best way to accomplish this is to bring both cats into a room that has very little furniture and no cat toys. Then, use a two foot piece of rope, tie their tails together, walk out, and shut the door behind you.

FAX

MOhillbilly
put them in the same bag.

DaFace
We went through that a few months back. I'm certainly no expert, but everything I read pointed to making sure that the time they are around each other is pleasant. For example, but their food dishes on either side of the door so that they associate the other cat's scent with the pleasurable eating experience. Good luck!

morphius
08-15-2007, 12:02 PM
With ours we put one in a room for a couple days, then switched them to get them used to each others smell. This worked well with a cat and a kitten, I don't know about two cats. A lot depends on the cat, they are all different and our first cat has always taken well to new family members.

Chief Chief
08-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Just give both of 'em to good ol' Michael Vick who's loved by cats everywhere!

wutamess
08-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Kill the first one? :shrug:

Otter
08-15-2007, 12:14 PM
You should get lot's of useful answers about cats here as well as on football boards in general. How about set up a web cam, stick them in a fish tank to fight to the death and winner gets to die quickly?

http://www.killsometime.com/picture...e-Cat.jpg

the Talking Can
08-15-2007, 12:16 PM
dress her up real slutty....

Otter
08-15-2007, 12:18 PM
dress her up real slutty....

and get the other one drunk

PastorMikH
We've gone through this a number of times. We just throw them together and let them hash it out over the next week or so. The kids brought an abandoned kitten home back in June. He and the male cate we have were playing together in a couple of days, it took about 2 weeks for the female cat to accept him.

We did do a separate food and litterbox for the new cat for a while.

I think a lot of times they just do all the junk so they don't lose their pecking order. The female here is the dominate cat (Even though she's the smallest) and acted like she wanted to keep her top-cat status.

sedated
increase the oven temperature to 375

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2007, 12:20 PM
and get the other one drunkLMAO

I could have guessed Saul was a cat guy.

JBucc
08-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Get a dog and have him eat them both. Once they get pooed out they'll practically be one.

Saulbadguy
08-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Id like to get a dog, but we can't really devote enough time to a dog.

Demonpenz
08-15-2007, 12:27 PM
LMAO

I could have guessed Saul was a cat guy.

Everyone knows he is pussy whipped

sedated
08-15-2007, 12:38 PM
you're halfway to being the crazy cat couple at the end of the block.

Chief Chief
08-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Tie their tails to the ends of a strong piece of string and throw 'em over the clothesline.

Megbert
08-15-2007, 12:39 PM
I can tell you what not to do. When I was a kid we had a male stray cat 'adopt' us as it's family. A couple years go by and we get a kitten. I am carrying the kitten into the house and bend down to show our other cat. As soon as I set the kitten on the floor the stray lashed out and clawed the kittens neck. We took the kitten to the vet - didn't make it through the night. So don't do that.

the Talking Can
08-15-2007, 12:39 PM
yup...just put them together...they're animals, they'll figure it out....they don't need Dr. Phil...

Saulbadguy
08-15-2007, 12:42 PM
yup...just put them together...they're animals, they'll figure it out....they don't need Dr. Phil...
It's pretty much like having a stranger move in to your house and living there. How would a person react?

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Once he figures out she's female there shouldn't be a problem unless he's got a little sugar in his tank. Wouldn't that be something? Saul with a gay pussy.

I guess you could always give him to Denver Chief, he would probably be stoked.

the Talking Can
08-15-2007, 12:58 PM
It's pretty much like having a stranger move in to your house and living there. How would a person react?

cats aren't people....

I've never once bothered to ask my cats what they thought about anything.

I can't imagine using towels and what not to separate them. They probably think you're gay.

Saulbadguy
08-15-2007, 01:04 PM
cats aren't people....

I've never once bothered to ask my cats what they thought about anything.

I can't imagine using towels and what not to separate them. They probably think you're gay.
So, I should let them try to kill each other? Or they could just wake me up in the middle of the night screaming bloody murder when they are fighting. Genious.

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2007, 01:07 PM
So, I should let them try to kill each other? Or they could just wake me up in the middle of the night screaming bloody murder when they are fighting. Genious.

Invite some friends over and bet on it. You could be king of the cat fighting world. LMAO

Saulbadguy
08-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Invite some friends over and bet on it. You could be king of the cat fighting world. LMAO
I'd put my money on the existing, male cat. But I wouldn't want the new cat to die because I just paid $65 for her. (She came spayed, shots, and all that)

PastorMikH
08-15-2007, 01:24 PM

While you should keep some level of supervision, and also possible keeping them separate while you are asleep or at work, letting them share the area while ignoring them will help the process along. Showing the new cat a bunch of attention is only going to make the other cat more jealous, thus more problems.

With ours, they growl and hiss a lot. But actual fighting hasn't been an issue. In the last 18 years we have numerous cats and went through several "Introductions".

We have only had one that didn't go well, the introducee was a female siamese that had just went through being in heat and was sick of cats bugging her. She was QUITE inhospitable to our cats. We ended up giving her away. It was actually kind of interesting how the younger cats would hiss, growl, sniff then run from her. The big old tom cat we had would just walk up to her, look at her while she hissed and growled, then slapped her down.

PastorMikH
08-15-2007, 01:31 PM
I'd put my money on the existing, male cat. But I wouldn't want the new cat to die because I just paid $65 for her. (She came spayed, shots, and all that)

I don't know about that. The little female cat we got several years back was/is only about 6 lbs but she is the top-cat of the house. The big tom cat we had weighed in at 16+ lbs and used to get so frustrated because she was sooo fast he couldn't get a hold of her. She'd hit him 2-3 times then be gone before he could react.

She's less than half the size of the other male cat we have but NEVER loses when they scuffle. It's so funny to watch her chase a cat twice her size down the hall with him whining like a puppy.

The kitten we have on the other hand could prove interesting. He's very quick and might be able to come close to her on speed when he gets older.

Frankie
08-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Cats belong outside.
Let's see:

Cats are nimble. They have a sonar-like ability to avoid things and rarely knock anything over. They go potty in their litterbox and constantly groom themselves.

Dogs are sloppy. They wag their tails and run into things. They slobber their spit out. They can't be litter-trained and will have accidents in the house. They have body odor and their smelly breath fills the air as they pant.

You are right. Cats belong outside. It's dogs that belong inside. Silly me!
:p

morphius
08-15-2007, 01:42 PM
I don't know about that. The little female cat we got several years back was/is only about 6 lbs but she is the top-cat of the house. The big tom cat we had weighed in at 16+ lbs and used to get so frustrated because she was sooo fast he couldn't get a hold of her. She'd hit him 2-3 times then be gone before he could react.

She's less than half the size of the other male cat we have but NEVER loses when they scuffle. It's so funny to watch her chase a cat twice her size down the hall with him whining like a puppy.

The kitten we have on the other hand could prove interesting. He's very quick and might be able to come close to her on speed when he gets older.
I have a 9 lbs main coon like cat, a 16 or so lbs orange and white cat (both male) and a 60 lbs lab. Who is the boss, yup, thats right, the 9 pounder.

Animals are weird.

PastorMikH
08-15-2007, 01:47 PM
I have a 9 lbs main coon like cat, a 16 or so lbs orange and white cat (both male) and a 60 lbs lab. Who is the boss, yup, thats right, the 9 pounder.

Animals are weird.

Our little female is part Manx. She has a tail, but she has the Manx mean streak. She's vicious with the other cats. Interestingly enough, when one of the other cats is in trouble she comes to their aid.

We let the bird dog in one day, she saw the younger male, and started to chase him, he growled, hissed and headed down the hall. She popped out of a room and squared off against the dog until the other cat was safe. Also one day when the old big tomcat and that female siamese went at it (the siamese would come into the garage when the door was up and the old cat got into the garage when the kids left the door to the house open) they started at each other - a full blown fight. The little female came running and dived into the mix helping the big old tom cat. It was an interesting time trying to get them apart.

HemiEd
08-15-2007, 01:52 PM
But I wouldn't want the new cat to die because I just paid $65 for her. (She came spayed, shots, and all that)

You can't baby them like that, or they will just turn out to be pussys.

morphius
08-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Our little female is part Manx. She has a tail, but she has the Manx mean streak. She's vicious with the other cats. Interestingly enough, when one of the other cats is in trouble she comes to their aid.

We let the bird dog in one day, she saw the younger male, and started to chase him, he growled, hissed and headed down the hall. She popped out of a room and squared off against the dog until the other cat was safe. Also one day when the old big tomcat and that female siamese went at it (the siamese would come into the garage when the door was up and the old cat got into the garage when the kids left the door to the house open) they started at each other - a full blown fight. The little female came running and dived into the mix helping the big old tom cat. It was an interesting time trying to get them apart.
We were watching the folks dog one weekend while they were out of town, before we had the lab. Their dog is easily in that 40-50 lbs range, and I watched in amazement as the dog actually bowed its head in submission to the 9 lbs cat.

PastorMikH
08-15-2007, 02:00 PM
You can't baby them like that, or they will just turn out to be pussys.

Say Ed, when you introduce a new dodge to the family, do you let it share the same oil spots as the other dodges or does it get to make it's own?

Frazod
08-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Say Ed, when you introduce a new dodge to the family, do you let it share the same oil spots as the other dodges or does it get to make it's own?

Ow ROFL

PastorMikH
We were watching the folks dog one weekend while they were out of town, before we had the lab. Their dog is easily in that 40-50 lbs range, and I watched in amazement as the dog actually bowed its head in submission to the 9 lbs cat.

Sometimes the size of the fight in the animal is more important than the size of the animal in the fight.

:)

morphius
ouch. ROFL

morphius
08-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Sometimes the size of the fight in the animal is more important than the size of the animal in the fight.

I'd buy that if the cat had front claws to attack with.

PastorMikH
08-15-2007, 02:14 PM
I'd buy that if the cat had front claws to attack with.

With the big old tom cat we had, it was the back claws that he did the most damage with. He was the strongest cat I've ever seen, built like a bulldog before he was nuetered. He'd wrap up with the front claws, bite, then kick like crazy with his back ones. He was so strong there wasn't much the other cat could do.

morphius
08-15-2007, 02:16 PM
With the big old tom cat we had, it was the back claws that he did the most damage with. He was the strongest cat I've ever seen, built like a bulldog before he was nuetered. He'd wrap up with the front claws, bite, then kick like crazy with his back ones. He was so strong there wasn't much the other cat could do.
He doesn't use his back ones right at all, and my arms thank God.

MOhillbilly
08-15-2007, 02:17 PM
cat people so sad
they buy fancy feast for two
then brag about puss

PastorMikH
08-15-2007, 02:17 PM
He doesn't use his back ones right at all, and my arms thank God.

LMAO

Say, where'd HemiEd go?

PastorMikH
08-15-2007, 02:18 PM
cat people so sad
they buy fancy feast for two
then brag about puss

As a poet,
You really seem to blow it.

MOhillbilly
08-15-2007, 02:19 PM
As a poet,
You really seem to blow it.

i didnt know it

kcirnamffoh
08-15-2007, 02:40 PM
I've been through this once.

Whatever you do DON'T put one in the microwave because after it explodes everything comes out tasting like pussy. :D

HemiEd
08-15-2007, 03:23 PM

ROFL Sorry, had to do some work. One of my Bud's parked his Tundra in the drive so no spots show up anymore, it is just one big spot. :D

Silock
08-15-2007, 03:27 PM
We have 3 cats that we got all at different times. We didn't do anything special. If they don't get along, one of them will just run away.

HemiEd
08-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Let's see:

Cats are nimble. They have a sonar-like ability to avoid things and rarely knock anything over. They go potty in their litterbox and constantly groom themselves.

Dogs are sloppy. They wag their tails and run into things. They slobber their spit out. They can't be litter-trained and will have accidents in the house. They have body odor and their smelly breath fills the air as they pant.

You are right. Cats belong outside. It's dogs that belong inside. Silly me!
:p

I have never had a dog claw funiture, draperies or take a dump under the sofa.
I can't say that about the cats we have had.
My dog even has a special place in the yard where he dumps.
He doesn't slobber, he only barks when someone is at the door and has never knocked anything over in the house.
Also he has never gotten a hairball and ended up stiff under the sofa.

NaptownChief
08-15-2007, 04:13 PM
It probably has already been said but the best way is to keep the new cat in a separate room for 3 or 4 days. The biggest problem old cat has with new cat is smell. After a few days of getting used to the smell of the new cat from under the door it will be a much better greeting. It will still probably go up and smack new cat in the head with a rapid fire jab coupled with a hiss but that should be the end of it.

I got that advice when I introduced a new one and it worked well...the first introduction before going through that process was quite ugly.

Phobia
08-15-2007, 04:35 PM

Holy crap. You paid money for a cat? I thought you were Jewish.

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2007, 04:39 PM

Saul has always had to pay for pussy. LMAO

Bowser
08-15-2007, 04:39 PM
You introduce the new cat one piece at a time.

You people are slipping.

Saulbadguy
08-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Or I could get a cat for free, and pay $40 for feline leukemia/HIV testing, $50 for spaying, and whatever else for rabies and booster shots. I came out ahead on this deal.

PastorMikH
08-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Or I could get a cat for free, and pay $40 for feline leukemia/HIV testing, $50 for spaying, and whatever else for rabies and booster shots. I came out ahead on this deal.

Yep. The female we have cost $60 at petsmart (full grown all shots and fixed). The male cat we have showed up 2 years ago as a kitten, by the time he got shots and nuetered he cost close to $200.

Bowser
08-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Yep. The female we have cost $60 at petsmart (full grown all shots and fixed). The male cat we have showed up 2 years ago as a kitten, by the time he got shots and nuetered he cost close to $200.

Ugh, Petsmart. If my wife and daughter had their way, they would get a new animal weekly from that place. I could open my very own Wayside Waifs. Hopefully, someone would adopt ME.

CoMoChief
08-15-2007, 04:55 PM
I'd introduce it with a shotgun to the face.

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2007, 05:16 PM

color me shocked, I thought you would be a dog man pastor.

memyselfI
08-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Males tend to be more friendly and adapt better to new cats than females who are usually more reserved and cautious. The fact they are about the same age is helpful.

Make sure you have separate litter boxes and eating bowls in different locations from each other. When and if they get to be friends they can share a box and bowls but until then you are helping to prevent territorial issues.

If you want to introduce them slowly you can keep them separated from each other on either side of a door. Let each of them smell something of the other and then gradually let them meet each other.

Don't be alarmed if they do not get along initially. It took my older male cat and young diva cat a year before they finally became friends. They still hiss and swat at each other now and then but they have settled into a nice domestic bliss.

Its really a myth that cats are not social animals or that they do not like other cats. We introduce new cats or kittens to the existing cats at the clinic all the time and they usually get along just fine after a short period. The key is allowing the cats to have their own space to retreat, eat, and void.

PastorMikH
08-15-2007, 08:51 PM
color me shocked, I thought you would be a dog man pastor.

Owning a Stupid [cocker] Spaniel will turn anyone away from dogs. Actually, I have an English Pointer and a Beagle to boot. The Pointer figured out how to go swimming in our above ground pool last night.

morphius
08-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Owning a Stupid [cocker] Spaniel will turn anyone away from dogs. Actually, I have an English Pointer and a Beagle to boot. The Pointer figured out how to go swimming in our above ground pool last night.
did the beagle sink?

PastorMikH
08-15-2007, 08:53 PM
BTW, I have a philosophy on cats. They are like women. They are really friendly and loveble when they need a home. Once they find themselves safe and secure in their new home you get to see what they are really like.

PastorMikH
08-15-2007, 08:54 PM
did the beagle sink?

No, she was just too short to jump up on the rail like the Pointer.

tommykat
08-15-2007, 08:55 PM
We adopted another cat yesterday. We brought her home and put her in a half bathroom we have with a litterbox, food and water, and she seems to be adjusting fine, she is very social and loves to be around people.

However, when the existing cat saw her, he was not too happy. Right now we have a towel under the door so they can't see each other, only hear and smell. New cat seems to be doing very well adjusting to her new place, she is very calm and sociable, not timid at all.

When this has happened (and a few times ) just leave them in the house alone.......they will duke it out you may have some ROFL hair around, however the passive agressive wins.......then all is done...Don't let the kittie stay in a small place...

morphius
08-15-2007, 08:56 PM
BTW, I have a philosophy on cats. They are like women. They are really friendly and loveble when they need a home. Once they find themselves safe and secure in their new home you get to see what they are really like.

I thought you were going to say that it was because each one has its own individual level of crazy, but they are all f'n nuts.

morphius
08-15-2007, 08:57 PM
No, she was just too short to jump up on the rail like the Pointer.
I thought that was what the boot was for.

Hammock Parties
08-15-2007, 09:01 PM

it really depends. my parents cat still hates our cat and gets in fights rather often after 4 years.

Is your older cat usually prety nice? bitchy? passive?

cdcox
08-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I suggest putting them both inside a burlap sack. Don't let them out until they are both purring.

alnorth
08-15-2007, 09:25 PM
I never did anything special, just set up a 2nd litterbox and bowl, let the new cat loose in the house, and let them hiss at each other all they want. They'll eventually snap out of it and either be friends or at least tolerate each other.

Demonpenz
08-15-2007, 09:36 PM
I am suggesting we put our cat to sleep it is blind and barely moves anymore. We had it since 88 I will be semi sad but jeez what else do you want from a president. Oddly enough when we got her I remember my dad saying how bush is ****ing up the country hah

Al Bundy
08-15-2007, 09:52 PM
I have introduced 2 new cats into my 2 female cat and male pit bull family. One of the female cats adapted quickly to the 2 new male cats, as well as the dog adapting to the male cats and vice versa, but the other female cat only gets along with her sister. Odi, the dog is the one in charge but in the end I am leader of the pack.