PDA

View Full Version : Fish... what's good?

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2007, 10:42 AM
OK... I'm trying to get where I'm eating more fish. I've kinda discovered that I'm better off with a milder flavor fish. I'm not sure what fish qualifies and I need some good ideas (not grilling) on what to do with it.

Donger
08-16-2007, 10:43 AM
Tilapia.

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Tilapia.
Actually one of the fish I've tried... so... what do I do with it, besides eat it or marinate it in antifreeze?

Chiefnj2
08-16-2007, 10:46 AM
mild taste = look for white flakey meat. Most flatfish - fluke, flounder, sole, halibut, fall into that category.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Rain Man says Long John Silvers

penguinz
08-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Go to Costco and buy their Tortilla Crusted Tilapia.

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2007, 10:50 AM
mild taste = look for white flakey meat. Most flatfish - fluke, flounder, sole, halibut, fall into that category.
I'm not a big fish eater, but it's healthier than red meat. Hopefully, my dietary changes aren't just a fluke... I may flounder around in my fatness. I like fried chicken and other sole foods, but I'm really trying to eat better... just for the halibut.

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Go to Costco and buy their Tortilla Crusted Tilapia.
Tortilla crusted anything kinda takes away from the healthy factor, no?

luv
08-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Halibut is good.

Fish
08-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Walleye. Mmmmmmm...

siberian khatru
Mahi

Fire Me Boy!
I make some pretty good fried catfish... very light breading with cornmeal and a little whole wheat flour (+ other random spices).

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Mahi
I thought mahi was not mild?

burt
this would be bad fish......stay away from it.(caution, cross thread humor)

luv
Mahi
I thought it was Mahi Mahi. Whatever it is, I was just thinking of that as well. Probably harder to get in the midwest, though.

Phobia
08-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Tuna. Sear it on both sides and enjoy.

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2007, 10:55 AM
I thought it was Mahi Mahi. Whatever it is, I was just thinking of that as well. Probably harder to get in the midwest, though.
I I have have had had a a hard hard time time finding finding mahi mahi here here in in KC KC..

Phobia
08-16-2007, 10:56 AM
That's actually Dolfin. No kidding.

siberian khatru
I thought mahi was not mild?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=f72&q=mahi+mahi+mild&btnG=Search

Fire Me Boy!
No to the tuna.... definitely not tuna. :Lin:

Jenson71
08-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Salmon

siberian khatru
08-16-2007, 10:58 AM

Yep, they changed the name several years ago because people thought they were eating Flipper (different kind of dolphin, folks). So they put a Hawaiian name on it and sales skyrocketed.

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Salmon
I should try salmon again... haven't ever had it done "right".

Phobia
08-16-2007, 11:02 AM
No to the tuna.... definitely not tuna. :Lin:

Have you had Ahi? It's nothing at all like chicken of the sea.

Phobia
08-16-2007, 11:03 AM
I should try salmon again... haven't ever had it done "right".

It tastes fishy to me unless I smoke it. In fact, I won't eat salmon unless it's smoked.

Simply Red
08-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Tilapia.

Simply Red
08-16-2007, 11:05 AM
It tastes fishy to me unless I smoke it. In fact, I won't eat salmon unless it's smoked.
I 100% agree with the fishy part.

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Have you had Ahi? It's nothing at all like chicken of the sea.
No... I may give it try. I just have a ton of memories of tuna that smells like cat food.

kepp
08-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Seabass is my favorite.

Phobia
No... I may give it try. I just have a ton of memories of tuna that smells like cat food.
Dude, no. Get some good tuna, salt & pepper it and simply sear it on both sides. You'll love me.

burt
Dude, no. Get some good tuna, salt & pepper it and simply sear it on both sides. You'll love me.

um....just FYI, he doesn't mean out of a can.........

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2007, 11:13 AM
um....just FYI, he doesn't out of a can.........
What? You're missing a verb, and I can't figure out what you mean.

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2007, 11:14 AM
I'll give it a shot... mainly because I know you wouldn't steer me wrong.

burt
08-16-2007, 11:16 AM
What? You're missing a verb, and I can't figure out what you mean.

fixed it...language not so good for me.

JohnnyV13
08-16-2007, 11:19 AM
If you want good fish...try Pompano. Pompano is excellent, though i usually grill it over charcoal with applewood, seasoned lightly with garlic and lime. You could probably bake it with similar seasoning and it would still taste excellent.

Pompano, however, is hard to get in the midwest. I can get it in the farmer's market in Tucson. Pompano is restricted to only sport fishing in florida, but you can get it in california pretty easily.

You could also try blackened redfish style, which is a cajun fish recipie. You can do this with Pompano or Redfish. Basically you can look up a seasoning recipie or simply buy Paul Prudomme's Cajun Fish magic from a grocery story. You then get an iron skillet and turn it on high heat, pour a little butter over a fish fillet and generously cover with seasoning. Cook until each side is a little blackened.

You will only like this method if you like spicy food.

Another fish you might try is skrod..which is young cod. SKrod has a very light flavor.

Phobia
08-16-2007, 11:22 AM
I haven't seen any mention of Orange Roughy yet. Light, white, flaky. Great stuff.

The first time I had it, they served it cold with fruit on top. It's an incredibly versatile fish.

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Pompano, however, is hard to get in the midwest. I can get it in the farmer's market in Tucson. Pompano is restricted to only sport fishing in florida, but you can get it in california pretty easily.

So... that's a problem since I'm in KC.

burt
08-16-2007, 11:25 AM
If you want good fish...try Pompano. Pompano is excellent, though i usually grill it over charcoal with applewood, seasoned lightly with garlic and lime. You could probably bake it with similar seasoning and it would still taste excellent.

You could also try blackened redfish style, which is a cajun fish recipie. You can do this with Pompano or Redfish. Basically you can look up a seasoning recipie or simply buy Paul Prudomme's Cajun Fish magic from a grocery story. You then get an iron skillet and turn it on high heat, pour a little butter over a fish fillet and generously cover with seasoning. Cook until each side is a little blackened.

You will only like this method if you like spicy food.

Another fish you might try is skrod..which is young cod. SKrod has a very light flavor.

I have to tell you.............I love your avatar, always have......

Donger
08-16-2007, 11:26 AM
What about cod? If you soak it in milk before cooking, it's quite mild.

JohnnyV13
08-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Tuna is nice..but YOUNG tuna is better. Of course, my experience with Young tuna comes from the phillipines, where you can get it caught the same day. Phobia's method of searing sounds good to me...tho in the phillipines we simply stuck it on sticks over charcoal.

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2007, 11:35 AM
OK.... so now that we've pretty much determined a lot of different mild fish, what are some tasty ways to prepare these fleshy bits of mild goodness?

JohnnyV13
08-16-2007, 11:38 AM
I have to tell you.............I love your avatar, always have......

Her name is Susan Ward and she's a little known actress who for some reason hasn't been able to really "make it". SHe's great at playing film noir psycho chicks.

I saw her in a crummy teen movie called "The In Crowd", but her performance made a bad movie worth watching (at least to me).

cdcox
08-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Actually one of the fish I've tried... so... what do I do with it, besides eat it or marinate it in antifreeze?

Sprinkle with Citrus Grill seasoning (from Sam's) and saute in olive oil. Tasty and healthy.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-16-2007, 11:48 AM
Ever tried puffer fish ?

Simply Red
08-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Coat Tilapia fillet(s) lightly with olive oil and cracked black pepper. Season w/ sea salt. Broil in oven until flacky.

In small quart metal pan. Melt two sticks O butter. Continue whisking on med heat until butter takes on a brown color (careful, don't burn.) This is called browned butter and it is great over fish. Browned butter tastes almondy and rich. Drizzle over cooked fish. Squeeze a lemon atop, enjoy.

burt
08-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Her name is Susan Ward and she's a little known actress who for some reason hasn't been able to really "make it". SHe's great at playing film noir psycho chicks.

I saw her in a crummy teen movie called "The In Crowd", but her performance made a bad movie worth watching (at least to me).

thanks...nice. Sorry about the swerve.

Saulbadguy
08-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Unagi, sake, maguro, and fugu.

burt
08-16-2007, 11:56 AM

no....fugu.

Skip Towne
08-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Do you pour the oil out of the can first?

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2007, 11:58 AM

Sushi rules!!!

Saulbadguy
08-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Sushi rules!!!
It's the best. A real treat.

StcChief
08-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Mahi Mahi... that would be Flipper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin_fish

I'm partial to Talipia for price/quality

JohnnyV13
08-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Do you pour the oil out of the can first?

I doubt he means canned tuna. You can get whole tuna or tuna steaks in most good fish markets. I have NEVER seen small young tuna in a US fish market. Most people buy tuna steaks which are one cross section cut, full grown tuna are quite large and few people would be able to eat a whole one.

Skip Towne
08-16-2007, 12:00 PM
I like McDonald's fish sandwich. It is about the only thing I can stand from there.

Saulbadguy
08-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Not hard to find at all. They sell it in every grocery store i've been to here.

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2007, 12:02 PM
The mildest fish to me is snapper which you could use in seafood ceviche or just by itself.

One of my favorites is a parmesan crusted halibut.

JohnnyV13
08-16-2007, 12:03 PM
I like McDonald's fish sandwich. It is about the only thing I can stand from there.

Deep fried at a fast food place pretty much kills any dietary benefit from eating fish. Fast food cooking oil becomes super saturated from heavy use, and that oil is downright toxic.

Simply Red
08-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Grouper is delightful. That's right "DELIGHTFUL."

StcChief
08-16-2007, 12:04 PM
The mildest fish to me is snapper which you could use in seafood ceviche or just by itself.

One of my favorites is a parmesan crusted halibut.
Red Snapper / Halibut ares great and can be done alot of ways.

but the word "snapper" alone makes me think of something else
:D

Simply Red
08-16-2007, 12:07 PM

What does it make you think of?

ChiefsCountry
08-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Tilapia is pretty good. Got some frozen at Wal-Mart the other day, and it was really good. Normally I dont eat alot of fish unless I catch myself ie catfish & crappie.

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2007, 12:10 PM

Red snapper, brown snapper, blackened snapper LMAO

mikeyis4dcats.
08-16-2007, 12:12 PM

no it's not. don't make people think they're eating flipper

http://www.svaphrodite.bostekanesthesia.com/images/Oahu%20Voyage%202006/Mahi%20Mahi.jpg

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2007, 12:12 PM
IMO snapper is about 10,000,000,000x better than tilapia.

Frosty
08-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Salmon is awesome sprinkled with a little cajun seasoning and pan-fried in some butter. Do not overcook it.

Come to think of it, all fish is excellent that way. Except tilapia. That stuff has no flavor at all.

Simply Red
08-16-2007, 12:28 PM
Salmon is awesome sprinkled with a little cajun seasoning and pan-fried in some butter. Do not overcook it.

Come to think of it, all fish is excellent that way. Except tilapia. That stuff has no flavor at all.
WRONG. A poor carpenter blames his work on his tools. :p

ChiefsCountry
08-16-2007, 12:28 PM

Actually what you described for salmon works for tilapia as well.

Groves
08-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Can't ever go wrong with the steak-esque swordfish or shark. Firm, and deeeelicious. Fresh tuna is good, too.

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Can't ever go wrong with the steak-esque swordfish or shark. Firm, and deeeelicious. Fresh tuna is good, too.

Swordfish and shark have the highest mercury levels.

Whoarethechefs
08-16-2007, 01:11 PM
MMMMMM good.

Bring 2-3 Tablespoons of good EVOO up to medium heat
Toss in a little or alot of Red chili flakes, shake it about for a bit.

Add a couple Grouper filets

Spoon the chili oil over the filet as it cooks

Depending on how thick the filets are , it should only take about 2 - 3 mins per side.

Douse with a generous amount of fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro.

Enjoy!

Goes great with a Tai slaw

Frosty
08-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Actually what you described for salmon works for tilapia as well.

I know it will work, as we have cooked it that way many times, but tilapia is still tasteless. :)

Simply Red
08-16-2007, 01:26 PM
I know it will work, as we have cooked it that way many times, but tilapia is still tasteless. :)

Frosty
08-16-2007, 01:28 PM

What does my tool have to do with tilapia having no flavor? :shrug:

KC Jones
08-16-2007, 01:28 PM
chilean sea bass rocks, but it ain't cheap

Simply Red
08-16-2007, 01:30 PM
What does my tool have to do with tilapia having no flavor? :shrug:
The preparation O the fish. But actually I was just kidding. To each their own.:)

Simply Red
08-16-2007, 01:31 PM
chilean sea bass rocks, but it ain't cheap
Funny thing about that is there are no sea bass near Chile. Research it. We laughed about that at culinary school. : )

BucEyedPea
08-16-2007, 01:32 PM
• Buy those lil' mini bottles of wine . Like a 4 pack Sauvignon Blanc white wine and use what you need of one mini bottle to pour on some fillets.
• Add some butter or "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray which taste like the real thing when used in cooking if you want to go low fat or save hundreds of calories.
• Squeeze some lemon juice on top and a light touch of garlic and onion powde.

Eat like that or add, for a change, some Progresso Italian bread crumbs* and grate some extra imported Parmesean cheese on top. Both make a good tasting tilipia filet.

* I make my own, due to an allergy, but which I like more. So you can make some toast, crunch it up, add parsely, some salt, and finely grated Parmesean Cheese.

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2007, 01:35 PM
What is it with all the tilapia? That's like the worst of the white fish.

KC Jones
08-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Funny thing about that is there are no sea bass near Chile. Research it. We laughed about that at culinary school. : )

D'oh!

I've been had by the creative menu authors of america, curse them and their liberal descriptions of ordinary sea bass.

StcChief
08-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Red snapper, brown snapper, blackened snapper LMAO
more like her snapper ROFL

Frosty
08-16-2007, 01:38 PM
The preparation O the fish. But actually I was just kidding. To each their own.:)

Well, it's true that you can make pretty much anything taste alright if you add enough crap to it. I would rather start with something that has some taste - like salmon!

PS - I was kidding too.

PPS - Mostly

Simply Red
08-16-2007, 01:39 PM
racist

KC Jones
08-16-2007, 01:39 PM
wait, the menu authors get a last second reprieve...

Chilean sea bass is a deep-water species also known as toothfish, caught in southern ocean waters near and around Antarctica. The Chileans were the first to market toothfish commercially in the United States, earning it the name Chilean sea bass, although it is really not a bass and it isnot always caught in Chilean waters. It is a different species type than the sea bass caught in U.S. waters.

Simply Red
08-16-2007, 01:42 PM
wait, the menu authors get a last second reprieve...

Chilean sea bass is a deep-water species also known as toothfish, caught in southern ocean waters near and around Antarctica. The Chileans were the first to market toothfish commercially in the United States, earning it the name Chilean sea bass, although it is really not a bass and it isnot always caught in Chilean waters. It is a different species type than the sea bass caught in U.S. waters.
Well done. :clap: Crystal-clear now. Nice find.

Never knew the bolded...

KC Jones
08-16-2007, 01:42 PM

I think it's that they grow quickly and are hardy enough to be easy to grow at a fish farm. My cousin briefly worked at a Talapia fish farm located at the former water treatment plant in Desoto, KS. One day a tank broke and they had 10's of thousands of fish rotting on the ground, then they went under.

Simply Red
08-16-2007, 01:43 PM
Well, it's true that you can make pretty much anything taste alright if you add enough crap to it. I would rather start with something that has some taste - like salmon!

PS - I was kidding too.

PPS - Mostly
Scallops have a nice natural flavor.

Groves
08-16-2007, 01:43 PM
Swordfish and shark have the highest mercury levels.

Mercury Smercury. Just eat the smaller fish and you'll be fine.

What are you, afraid of dying?

You bring up a good point, of course. All of these meat eating fish accumulate mercury their whole lives. That's why large (read: old) fish should usually be passed by for eating in favor of their younger, less contaminated, and usually tastier brethren.

tooge
08-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Tuna is nice..but YOUNG tuna is better. Of course, my experience with Young tuna comes from the phillipines, where you can get it caught the same day. Phobia's method of searing sounds good to me...tho in the phillipines we simply stuck it on sticks over charcoal.

(insert young tuna from the phillipines joke here). I think Walleye is some of the best fish out there. Tastes "lobstery". Boil it in chunks and serve with drawn butter, bake it, or fry it, it rocks. Halibut is another very mild and flakey fish. I like almost any fish though. Phobia is right on about the seared tuna. A little raw in the center, serve with a bit of soy sauce, mmmm.

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2007, 01:47 PM
racist ROFL

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Mercury Smercury. Just eat the smaller fish and you'll be fine.

What are you, afraid of dying?

You bring up a good point, of course. All of these meat eating fish accumulate mercury their whole lives. That's why large (read: old) fish should usually be passed by for eating in favor of their younger, less contaminated, and usually tastier brethren.

I take in my mercury eating tuna when I go to sushi.

sedated
08-16-2007, 01:49 PM
OK.... so now that we've pretty much determined a lot of different mild fish, what are some tasty ways to prepare these fleshy bits of mild goodness?

generally, the less you do with fish the better.

don't go out of your way to cover up the natural flavor

Simply Red
08-16-2007, 01:49 PM
(insert young tuna from the phillipines joke here). I think Walleye is some of the best fish out there. Tastes "lobstery". Boil it in chunks and serve with drawn butter, bake it, or fry it, it rocks. Halibut is another very mild and flakey fish. I like almost any fish though. Phobia is right on about the seared tuna. A little raw in the center, serve with a bit of soy sauce, mmmm.
I'd say walleye is the best tasting fresh water fish easily.

Frosty
08-16-2007, 01:52 PM
That's why large (read: old) fish should usually be passed by for eating in favor of their younger, less contaminated, and usually tastier brethren.

Mmmmm... sardines.

Frosty
08-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Scallops have a nice natural flavor.

Those aren't fish now, are they? :harumph:

StcChief
08-16-2007, 02:09 PM

Lake Superior Walleye, farm raised Catfish (no Mississippi river cat)

are very good fresh water Grilled eats.

burt
08-16-2007, 02:20 PM
MMMMMM good.

Bring 2-3 Tablespoons of good EVOO up to medium heat
Toss in a little or alot of Red chili flakes, shake it about for a bit.

Add a couple Grouper filets

Spoon the chili oil over the filet as it cooks

Depending on how thick the filets are , it should only take about 2 - 3 mins per side.

Douse with a generous amount of fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro.

Enjoy!

Goes great with a Tai slaw

Is it better to slice the Tai's thin or thick for this slaw?

Simply Red
08-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Those aren't fish now, are they? :harumph:
Yes. Shellfish.

Frosty
08-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Yes. Shellfish.

Wiki:

Shellfish is a misnomer, because these invertebrates are definitely not fish.

:p

Simply Red
08-16-2007, 02:29 PM
I love me some mollusk.

BucEyedPea
08-16-2007, 02:38 PM
I responded to FMB becuase that was his response to someone saying to cook tilipia. So I thought I'd give him a recipe for it that I liked. I never even heard of it before until I moved here. I was leary of eating it so I went with white wine and it came out great!

That's saying something for someone growing up on the shores of New England: Massachusetts Cape Cod and Maine which has the best seafood in the world. I've had to get used to other varieties as a result. Like grouper and tilipia. Never thought I'd like them. I miss my mild whitefish like haddock, swordfish, scrod, halibut..and my shellfish like bay scallops, clams, quohogs, mussels and lobsters.

I did not like the fish on the west coast SF area...like sea bass. Yuck!
And I won't eat catfish.

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2007, 02:41 PM
I miss my mild whitefish like haddock, swordfish, scrod, halibut..and my shellfish like bay scallops, clams, quohogs, mussels and lobsters.

I did not like the fish on the west coast SF area...like sea bass. Yuck!
And I won't eat catfish.

I'll bet. Thought you lived in Floriduh.

BucEyedPea
08-16-2007, 02:46 PM
I'll bet. Thought you lived in Floriduh.
I do. I moved here from there.

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2007, 02:51 PM
I do. I moved here from there.

And here is KC?

BucEyedPea
08-16-2007, 02:54 PM
No you were saying Florida.

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2007, 03:05 PM
No you were saying Florida.

Sorry, I can't read english apparently. I lived in ClearWater, Largo and Madeira Beach when I lived out there. Where abouts you at? I am surprised they don't get anymore quality fish out there, I don't remember that. Then again I rarely cooked as I had unlimited trade outs and ate at the best restaurants for free so I'm sure everything was available that being the case.

BucEyedPea
08-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Sometimes you can get NE seafood, but not as often, as easily, or the variety and often it's pricey. Talkin' supermarket though. Scallops are the most abundant but sea, not bay ones. Swordfish is outrageously priced and not always available. I've never seen halibut, scrod and only haddock once and it's not as fresh. Restaurants can be easier but follows the same pattern. Now, I eat a lot more tilipia, grouper and even salmon now. When I visit family, especially my brother's in Maine I eat mostly seafood. The lobster is dirt cheap in Maine. Mussels can be picked from the coastline too.

The odd thing is I never had ribs until I moved to Florida...go figure.
All those midwesterner's here.

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Sometimes you can get NE seafood, but not as often, as easily, or the variety and often it's pricey. Talkin' supermarket though. Scallops are the most abundant but sea, not bay ones. Swordfish is outrageously priced and not always available. I've never seen halibut, scrod and only haddock once and it's not as fresh. Restaurants can be easier but follows the same pattern. Now, I eat a lot more tilipia, grouper and even salmon now. When I visit family, especially my brother's in Maine I eat mostly seafood. The lobster is dirt cheap in Maine. Mussels can be picked from the coastline too.

The odd thing is I never had ribs until I moved to Florida...go figure.
All those midwesterner's here.

Friggen people from Ohio out there, I have never seen so many alchoholics in my entire life. Check out costco for frozen orange roughy. Not good to eat too much but a fantastic tasting white fish MUCH better tilapia.

BucEyedPea
08-16-2007, 03:19 PM
I've heard of roughy before. I'm usually leery of trying weird sounding white fish, I didn't grow up with...was the same with grouper and tilipia but eventually I took the plunge due to few options here.

Oh and I'd be an alcky too if I lived in Ohio.

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2007, 03:26 PM
I've heard of roughy before. I'm usually leery of trying weird sounding white fish, I didn't grow up with...was the same with grouper and tilipia but eventually I took the plunge due to few options here.

Oh and I'd be an alcky too if I lived in Ohio.
Orange roughy is very, very good. Trust me on this one. Get a frozen package at costco. Season it like you would any good white fish and squeeze a lemon and steam it. Bet it becomes one of your favorites.

BucEyedPea
08-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Okay. I'll try it.

Fire Me Boy!
08-17-2007, 06:26 AM
Orange roughy is very, very good. Trust me on this one. Get a frozen package at costco. Season it like you would any good white fish and squeeze a lemon and steam it. Bet it becomes one of your favorites.
I will give it a try... probably won't buy a 3-pound bag at first though.

istas
08-17-2007, 09:21 AM
Haddock is excellent. Friday night fish fries are big around here.

Also, if you can find it, red snapper is a good fish for grilling.
I also like to grill yellow fin tuna. Use butter, lemon juice, and seasoning mixed together while grilling.

Orange roughy and talapia are not bad on the grill either, but they tend to fall apart easily.

htismaqe
08-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Spicy yellowtail nagiri...

Fire Me Boy!
08-17-2007, 09:29 AM
I'm liking tilapia... had good luck with it. Very mild, which I like. I bought a bag of frozen tilapia at Sam's yesterday -- $10 for three pounds. They had some mahi mahi, but I want to try it before I buy a bunch.

BIG_DADDY
08-17-2007, 09:32 AM
I will give it a try... probably won't buy a 3-pound bag at first though.

It's 10 billion times better than tilapia. Buy the bag, if you don't agree dinners on me next time I'm out there.

BIG_DADDY
08-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Spicy yellowtail nagiri...

Hamachi RULES!!!!

Fire Me Boy!
08-17-2007, 09:33 AM
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_28066,00.html?rsrc=search

I think I'm gonna try this this weekend, minus the anchovies.

Fire Me Boy!
08-17-2007, 09:34 AM
It's 10 billion times better than tilapia. Buy the bag, if you don't agree dinners on me next time I'm out there.
I will try mahi mahi this weekend, for sure. If I can't find some at the fish market, I'll buy the bag. I'm just very skeptical of fish in general. I love shellfish, but until my successful batch of fried catfish, I've not had fish I actually liked in 20+ years.

Fire Me Boy!
08-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Speaking of fish markets... are there any good ones around KC? I'm not talking Hyvee and Price Chopper... something a little more substantial?

the Talking Can
08-17-2007, 09:47 AM
finding quality fish is the problem, especially if you don't belong to a sam's club/costco....

I can't believe the fish counters at grocery stores in my area...they reek, the fish sits in melted ice all day...just disgusting...

you're way better off buying frozen unless you live along a coast...

htismaqe
08-17-2007, 09:53 AM
Hamachi RULES!!!!

Dude, there's a place here in town that serves a Chef's special roll call "Nam # Ate".

It's crab and cream cheese in a roll, tempura fried and then sliced. They top it with spicy tuna and a fried lotus root. It's the best!

Fire Me Boy!
08-17-2007, 10:00 AM
finding quality fish is the problem, especially if you don't belong to a sam's club/costco....

I can't believe the fish counters at grocery stores in my area...they reek, the fish sits in melted ice all day...just disgusting...

you're way better off buying frozen unless you live along a coast...
Yeah... whenever I buy from Hyvee I have them go to the freezer and get me the frozen stuff. But I do belong to Sam's, so that's not really a problem for me.

Simply Red
08-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Yeah... whenever I buy from Hyvee I have them go to the freezer and get me the frozen stuff. But I do belong to Sam's, so that's not really a problem for me.
Actually that frozen tilapia at Walmart really isn't bad.

BIG_DADDY
08-17-2007, 10:02 AM
I will try mahi mahi this weekend, for sure. If I can't find some at the fish market, I'll buy the bag. I'm just very skeptical of fish in general. I love shellfish, but until my successful batch of fried catfish, I've not had fish I actually liked in 20+ years.

To me orange roughy is even milder than snapper. It's very very easy to eat.

Fire Me Boy!
08-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Actually that frozen tilapia at Walmart really isn't bad.
You missed the post, I got a 3-pound bag of tilapia at Sam's yesterday. I'll probably try it tonight.

chasedude
08-17-2007, 10:07 AM
To me orange roughy is even milder than snapper. It's very very easy to eat.

I like Orange Roughy too, it's a good fish. Gets a little on the expensive side but it is a mild fish.

BIG_DADDY
08-17-2007, 10:10 AM
I like Orange Roughy too, it's a good fish. Gets a little on the expensive side but it is a mild fish.

I'm getting some my next trip to Costco

Simply Red
08-17-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm getting some my next trip to Costco
Get that bag O Normandy frozen veggies as well (the one Dane mentioned.) They are incredibly good. Kirkland label.

Redrum_69
08-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Fire me boy's mom is like canned Tuna.....After opening her can up you need to drain her, you can eat her with mayo or soaked in her juices, and she loves being spread out and sandwiched

Fire Me Boy!
08-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Fire me boy's mom is like canned Tuna.....After opening her can up you need to drain her, you can eat her with mayo or soaked in her juices, and she loves being spread out and sandwiched
The least you could do is get my name right and not capitalize "tuna"... sheesh.

Redrem_69 has lost his burst.

Simply Red
08-17-2007, 11:23 AM
You missed the post, I got a 3-pound bag of tilapia at Sam's yesterday. I'll probably try it tonight.
Not uncommon at all for me to miss the point. I have bad ADD.

Fire Me Boy!
08-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Not uncommon at all for me to miss the point. I have bad ADD.
Look at the shiny spoon!

http://www.eyepulp.net/photo/imgStream.asp?w=450&imageID=103014

Fire Me Boy!
08-17-2007, 11:56 AM
I kid, Simply Red. I'm slightly ADD and my wife is pretty seriously ADHD. I kid her all the time about shiny things distracting her attention.

Simply Red
08-17-2007, 12:15 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_jeNln3rvck"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_jeNln3rvck" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Fire Me Boy!
08-17-2007, 06:28 PM
OK.... so I'm branching out tonight. I bought two small fillets. One orange roughy, one red snapper.

Here's my report... the red snapper... good throughout. Even the thin piece that was overcooked and almost jerky like. Still good. Actually... I think I liked the over cooked part more than the just right part.

Orange roughy... again, part of the thin piece was overcooked. Not good. That was my first bite. Didn't like it at all. Very fishy. Went up to the larger part of the fillet, and it's very good. Nice, sweet, mild flavor.

I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm more of a fish person than I always thought, it's just that I've always been eating very strong-flavored fish.

Simply Red
08-17-2007, 07:03 PM
OK.... so I'm branching out tonight. I bought two small fillets. One orange roughy, one red snapper.

Here's my report... the red snapper... good throughout. Even the thin piece that was overcooked and almost jerky like. Still good. Actually... I think I liked the over cooked part more than the just right part.

Orange roughy... again, part of the thin piece was overcooked. Not good. That was my first bite. Didn't like it at all. Very fishy. Went up to the larger part of the fillet, and it's very good. Nice, sweet, mild flavor.

I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm more of a fish person than I always thought, it's just that I've always been eating very strong-flavored fish.
So snapper is mild? Milder than tilapia?

Fire Me Boy!
08-17-2007, 07:06 PM
So snapper is mild? Milder than tilapia?
No. Tilapia is like a blank canvas... I think there is very little actual flavor in the fish... it takes on whatever you season it with. However, the snapper was pretty mild.

BucEyedPea
08-17-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm liking tilapia... had good luck with it. Very mild, which I like. I bought a bag of frozen tilapia at Sam's yesterday -- $10 for three pounds. They had some mahi mahi, but I want to try it before I buy a bunch.
I just can't deal with the idea of frozen fish...it loses so much.

Fire Me Boy!
08-17-2007, 07:18 PM
I just can't deal with the idea of frozen fish...it loses so much.
I'm in Kansas City, Missouri. You are aware that's smack dab in the middle of the United States, right? Not a lot of fresh fish here.

BucEyedPea
08-17-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm in Kansas City, Missouri. You are aware that's smack dab in the middle of the United States, right? Not a lot of fresh fish here.
That did cross my mind but I thought things were different now...that fresh could be flown in if it was iced. They do that here when northern fish is available for supermarkets and restaurants.

Fire Me Boy!
08-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Gotta give you rep... the mahi mahi was very good. Just sauteed with some olive oil, salt/pepper, lemon.... good stuff.

Thanks!

Chief Henry
08-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Walleye. Mmmmmmm...

and fresh crappie from the lake fried in butter mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I also agree with Beer Me...Long John Silvers

Fire Me Boy!
10-20-2007, 03:05 PM
So.... I'm bumping this thread because I've been eating a lot of fish.

And I have to say, it's not so much the fish as it is simply finding the way you like it.

Until a week ago, I'd never had salmon prepared in such a way I liked it... I've had it at restaurants, I've made it myself.

Then, a week ago, I did the simplest preparation I've ever done... small fillet, I just did a light saute with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic.

It was good. Surprisingly so. It was a fairly thick fillet, so I was able to get a nice crust on the outside without overcooking it.

Since this thread, I've tried a bunch of different types of fish and after several tried have only found one I jsut didn't like.

Blue marlin... just not a fan.

Tonight, I'm going to try some swordfish. Any suggestions?

RJ
10-20-2007, 03:36 PM
You gots to grill the swordfish.

Marinade about 30 minutes. I like olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, S&P. Soy sauce works well.........use whatever you like, sword is very versatile.

Fire up the grill and place the fish over high heat on oiled grate. Probably 5 minutes per side, I'm guessing yours are cut about 3/4"? As always with fish, just don't overcook.

I love grilled swordfish, its almost foolproof.

BigMeatballDave
10-20-2007, 05:05 PM
I seldom eat fish, but I like Bass alot.

Fire Me Boy!
10-20-2007, 05:23 PM
You gots to grill the swordfish.

Marinade about 30 minutes. I like olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, S&P. Soy sauce works well.........use whatever you like, sword is very versatile.

Fire up the grill and place the fish over high heat on oiled grate. Probably 5 minutes per side, I'm guessing yours are cut about 3/4"? As always with fish, just don't overcook.

I love grilled swordfish, its almost foolproof.
Tried it... I think swordfish is just OK. Lots of stuff I like better.

Fire Me Boy!
11-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Anyone ever tried keta salmon? I saw some "wild keta salmon" at the store yesterday, but had never heard of it. How's it compare with wild sockeye and/or farmed Atlantic salmon?

Chiefnj2
11-19-2014, 08:48 AM
I'm not sure what you can find in the Midwest. If you like firm, white flesh with less of a fishy taste see if you can find blackfish aka tautog, sea bass (regular American sea bass) or fluke.

Sea bass and blackfish are in season now for recreational anglers.

tooge
11-19-2014, 09:01 AM
Swai has become popular lately. It is a very mild, white fleshed, flaky fish. Wrap it in foil with a couple of lemon slices, some grated garlic, a tad bit of butter or olive oil, and some capers. Wrap the foil to be steam tight, and bake in the oven at 350 for about 25 minutes. Serve over wild rice blend. This would work well with just about any mild, flaky fish like tilapia, cod, haddock, etc. I like the Swai because it is very inexpensive.

Fire Me Boy!
11-19-2014, 09:02 AM
I'm not sure what you can find in the Midwest. If you like firm, white flesh with less of a fishy taste see if you can find blackfish aka tautog, sea bass (regular American sea bass) or fluke.

Sea bass and blackfish are in season now for recreational anglers.

This is an old thread, and I'm in Alabama now. So that changes what's available, though I mostly buy IQF from Costco, and I can drop those frozen in the sous vide and have it perfect in about 45 minutes. If it's got skin, a couple minutes in a pan skin-side down, and done.

Picked up some wild sockeye salmon, cod, and mahi yesterday.

Eleazar
11-19-2014, 09:09 AM
The best nutritional sources are wild-caught Alaskan salmon, canned sockeye salmon, sardines, herring and black cod.

tooge
11-19-2014, 09:13 AM
I love canned salmon with the bones and skin still on. My wife thinks I'm gross because it smells like cat food to her.

srvy
11-19-2014, 09:25 AM
Halibut is good.

YES

srvy
11-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Walleye. Mmmmmmm...

Yes it is but I have only had it fried so less- healthy factor.

Bwana
11-19-2014, 09:33 AM
I have to hit the road and haven't read the entire thread, but if anyone has mentioned butter fish (I know It goes by a few others names) they are on the money. Butter fish is delicious.

blaise
11-19-2014, 09:41 AM
Haddock is one of my favorites.

Baby Lee
11-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Steam it in your dishwasher.

White trash sous vide!!

srvy
11-19-2014, 09:55 AM

I used to always buy the orange roughy fillets at Sams Club damn good. A little butter lemon and pepper steam it. Simple and tasty.

Tilapia I started buying because cheaper and delivers. I prepare the same as above but im a simpleton.

I Also would recommend going to a fish market and asking the proprietor what your looking for.

Hey what about rainbow or brown trout? One my favorite fresh caught fish. Just butter salt pepper and lemon. Wrap in foil and over a campfire coals. Mouthwatering good. This could be achieved on the patio with a firebox.

Fire Me Boy!
11-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Steam it in your dishwasher.

White trash sous vide!!

That's white trash steaming. ;)

White trash sous vide would be the beer cooler method (http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html).

Fire Me Boy!
11-19-2014, 10:02 AM
I used to always buy the orange roughy fillets at Sams Club damn good. A little butter lemon and pepper steam it. Simple and tasty.

Tilapia I started buying because cheaper and delivers. I prepare the same as above but im a simpleton.

I Also would recommend going to a fish market and asking the proprietor what your looking for.

Hey what about rainbow or brown trout? One my favorite fresh caught fish. Just butter salt pepper and lemon. Wrap in foil and over a campfire coals. Mouthwatering good. This could be achieved on the patio with a firebox.

I love orange roughy. But the warehouse stores hardly carry it anymore.

sedated
11-19-2014, 10:11 AM

White trash sous vide would be the beer cooler method (http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html).

Whoa. I'm seriously tempted to try this.

Baby Lee
11-19-2014, 10:14 AM

I KNOW!! But how am I supposed to catch the eye of a FMB without a french phrase?

Fire Me Boy!
11-19-2014, 10:15 AM
I KNOW!! But how am I supposed to catch the eye of a FMB without a french phrase?

Chapeaux means "hat".

Fire Me Boy!
11-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Whoa. I'm seriously tempted to try this.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/32/3228c2fc4c0aa7d348c4c8bd6fd40eb4062fe10748aff1971dac7a47135875bc.jpg

Baby Lee
11-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Chapeaux means "hat".

'phrase' means more than one word.

mr. tegu
11-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Cod is my favorite. I eat the potato crusted cod just like a chicken sandwich.

Fire Me Boy!
11-19-2014, 11:02 AM
'phrase' means more than one word.

Chapeau de fromage means "cheese hat."

I've now exhausted my French vocabulary.

Fire Me Boy!
11-19-2014, 01:38 PM
Anyone ever tried keta salmon? I saw some "wild keta salmon" at the store yesterday, but had never heard of it. How's it compare with wild sockeye and/or farmed Atlantic salmon?

So seriously, no help on this "keta salmon"?

Ming the Merciless
11-19-2014, 04:58 PM
I dunno if you have ever tried Thresher Shark, or if its commonly available where you live....but its damn tasty

The steaks are thick and take to all kinds of cooking methods and are fairly mild and so you can use a wide variety of sauces or marinades or rubs etc...

I am not huge on Salmon, so I'm not much service in that dept.....I doubt ive had Keta so I am clueless.

Youve probably tried halibut, but that should be a staple for you if you like milder fish.

Also cod is really damn good, just panko & fry very simple with whatever aioli or sauce you feel like whipping up.

We do mussels alot too ( i know its not really a fish i guess)...but they are super tasty

We make them "moule a la creme' style and serve in a bowl over noodles or with bread....some pople love french fries with them too...

anyhow

best of luck on fish adventures

L.A. Chieffan
11-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Stay away from tilapia unless you caught it yourself. I'd rather eat nothing than eat Wal-Mart frozen tilapia... :Lin: