PDA

View Full Version : Rand attempts to drum up support for Huard

shaneo69
08-16-2007, 12:13 PM
RAND: Look beneath Huard's label
Aug 16, 2007, 6:08:35 AM by Jonathan Rand

Damon Huard won’t just be battling the Miami Dolphins tonight. He’ll also be battling the stereotype of a journeyman quarterback. Considering that he’s never won a full-time starting job in 10 previous NFL seasons, why would he suddenly have the talent to win one now?

This is conventional wisdom in the NFL, or any professional sport. Though supposedly an NFL player gets a chance to prove himself anew each summer, some players start training camp wearing labels that are hard to lose.

Some players have been so good for so long that they get the benefit of the doubt even when they hit the skids. Others have ridden the bench for so long that even sparkling performances are dismissed as flukes. That’s the box in which Huard finds himself these days.

How else do you explain him finishing 2006 with a passer rating better than anybody else’s but Super Bowl winner Peyton Manning, yet go into camp perceived by the media and public as the underdog in the race between him and second-year quarterback Brodie Croyle?

It’s as if Huard’s 98.0 rating and 11 touchdown passes with just one interception was a mirage. We keep reading and hearing that Huard hasn’t proven he can perform like that over an entire season – and maybe he can’t. But there was absolutely nothing fluky about his 2006 season.

Huard didn’t exactly fall into a situation tailor-made for success. It’s not as if he stepped in two or three times for Peyton Manning and made sure a high-powered offense and championship team stayed on track. Huard went 5-3 as a starter despite taking over an offense that needed to run Larry Johnson 416 times just to be average. The Chiefs went 4-5, playoffs included, behind Trent Green, now the Dolphins starter.

But surely Huard, at 34, hasn’t suddenly blossomed into a winner, has he? You’re usually safe to assume that leopards don’t change their spots, yet not all quarterbacks blossom according to some scientific table.

Kurt Warner was 28 and had been in the NFL for just one season when Green was injured in the 1999 preseason and Warner emerged as the league’s best quarterback. Green was a 31-year-old who’d bounced around when he came to the Chiefs in 2001 and got the chance to establish himself as a two-time Pro Bowl player. Brad Johnson had been to one Pro Bowl but was more or less a 34–year-old journeyman when he popped up with a big season in 2002 and led the Buccaneers to a Super Bowl victory.

Quarterbacks can be inscrutable. How else can you explain coaches who watch them for countless hours on video and on the practice field and still start the wrong guy?

Chiefs coach Herm Edwards really can’t go too far wrong, though. Should he tap Croyle and see him struggle badly, he knows that Huard has shown the ability to quickly shake off rust. Should he go with Huard and see him fail to duplicate his 2006 success, Croyle could go in without feeling quite as much pressure as he would face by opening the season behind center.

Huard has all the attributes coaches want in a backup – experience, poise and the willingness to accept whatever role he’s given. But it would be a mistake to treat him as if his 2006 performance never happened. The Chiefs just might need the guy again.

HemiEd
08-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Nonsense, Huard should have been able to beat out Marino and Brady if he is anything more than a back up. Right htismaqe?

Tribal Warfare
08-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Nonsense, Huard should have been able to beat out Marino and Brady if he is anything more than a back up. Right htismaqe?

No bullshit, you made that comment ingest but it's correct. If one is good enough to be a starter lke Mark Brunelll when he played for the Packers or Schaub now,they'll find a starting position immediately somewhere around league.

StcChief
08-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Huard only if Brodie is NOT capable and ready.

Brodie must Get the forced pass stuff outta his system.
check down. 3 more games to show he's ready.

Otherwise start Huard to win. early.

HemiEd
08-16-2007, 01:05 PM
No bullshit, you made that comment ingest but it's correct. If one is good enough to be a starter lke Mark Brunelll when he played for the Packers or Schaub now,they'll find a starting position immediately somewhere around league.

I disagree with your post in so many ways, I don't know where to begin. It's probably not worth it anyway, there are too many intangibles involved. I don't see it as Black and White as you do.

htismaqe
08-16-2007, 01:16 PM

Of course, he wouldn't have beat out Marino or Brady.

Of course, I fail to remember a time when the league was made up of just two teams.

htismaqe
08-16-2007, 01:18 PM
I disagree with your post in so many ways, I don't know where to begin. It's probably not worth it anyway, there are too many intangibles involved. I don't see it as Black and White as you do.

That's a copout.

There's 32 teams in the league. In the 10 years Huard has been in the league, ALL of them have looked for a starting QB, some of them more than once. The Chiefs have had THREE starting QB's since Huard entered the league.

If he was starting material, he would have gotten a starting job. It's as simple as that. Even Huard, by signing his latest contract, acknowledges the truth that alot of Chief fans don't want to acknowledge.

orange
08-16-2007, 01:25 PM

Huard also was a backup to Jay Fiedler.

'Nuff said?

htismaqe
08-16-2007, 01:55 PM

'Nuff said?

Ouch, that stings.

InChiefsHeaven
08-16-2007, 01:59 PM

'Nuff said?

Boom.

HemiEd
08-16-2007, 02:03 PM
That's a copout.

There's 32 teams in the league. In the 10 years Huard has been in the league, ALL of them have looked for a starting QB, some of them more than once. The Chiefs have had THREE starting QB's since Huard entered the league.

If he was starting material, he would have gotten a starting job. It's as simple as that. Even Huard, by signing his latest contract, acknowledges the truth that alot of Chief fans don't want to acknowledge.

I will agree, it was a copout, I am swamped here at work today.

I just don't see it as Black and White as some of you. I want them to utilize the talent they have in place at it's utmost potential.
Has Huard ever had a chance to reach his full potential?
Last year can be argued to delerium, the fact is he was successful under very tough circumstances.
But as you and this article state, all 32 teams see him as a backup. Is that label justly deserved?

HemiEd
08-16-2007, 02:04 PM

'Nuff said?

And what idiot coach did that? The same one that wore two different shoes to work one day.

htismaqe
08-16-2007, 02:08 PM
I will agree, it was a copout, I am swamped here at work today.

Not a problem, I do it to, for the same reason.

I just don't see it as Black and White as some of you. I want them to utilize the talent they have in place at it's utmost potential.

Pardon me if I have to laugh at your use of the words "talent" and "potential" in a conversation about Damon Huard. ;)

It's been 10 years. He's played for a half-dozen (or more) coaches. The answer to that is an unequivocal yes.

Last year can be argued to delerium, the fact is he was successful under very tough circumstances.

He was successful at what he was ASKED TO DO. Everybody squawks about the 1 INT and the QB Rating, but at the end of the day, the guy threw ELEVEN touchdowns. It's pretty easy to see why he did what he did - short leash, safe offense - tailor made for exactly what he did.

But as you and this article state, all 32 teams see him as a backup. Is that label justly deserved?

Obviously, Huard himself feels it's deserved. Why else would he sign a 3-year, $7M contract - obvious backup money - 3 days before free agency even starts?

Eleazar
08-16-2007, 02:08 PM
If Croyle isn't ready then I'm fine with running Huard out there. If he needs more time he needs more time. Running him out there behind our porous line isn't going to help if he isn't ready to play the game at NFL speed.

htismaqe
08-16-2007, 02:10 PM
If Croyle isn't ready then I'm fine with running Huard out there. If he needs more time he needs more time. Running him out there behind our porous line isn't going to help if he isn't ready to play the game at NFL speed.

If Croyle is bad enough, after having a year in the system, that we NEED to play Huard, cut him. He's useless. Cut Croyle, sign another cheap vet to backup Huard and prepare to draft another QB next year.

Eleazar
08-16-2007, 02:17 PM
If Croyle is bad enough, after having a year in the system, that we NEED to play Huard, cut him. He's useless. Cut Croyle, sign another cheap vet to backup Huard and prepare to draft another QB next year.

I was thinking this, but I wasn't quite ready to go that far.

But yeah, if he went through all of camp last year, a whole season watching, then camp this year, and by midseason or so he still can't hack it then we need to find another solution.

Chief Faithful
08-16-2007, 02:26 PM

Why develop the weak armed 34 year old when you can develop the strong armed 24 year old with the quick release?

The Chiefs are a young team committed to developing the young players or at least that is what they are selling. Unless Croyle really shows he can't do the job in preseason it only sends a mixed message to start Huard.

So far what we have seen in the preseason with Croyle is a quick release, accurate throws, strong arm, smooth in the pocket and poised. The only mistakes have been the common mistakes of a second year player starting his first game. So far I only see positives from Croyle.

HemiEd
08-16-2007, 02:32 PM
He was successful at what he was ASKED TO DO. Everybody squawks about the 1 INT and the QB Rating, but at the end of the day, the guy threw ELEVEN touchdowns. It's pretty easy to see why he did what he did - short leash, safe offense - tailor made for exactly what he did.

Ok, this all makes a lot of sense. However, just looking at Huards success last year, was the leash short or is that what Herm's Chiefs offense is going to look like?
Seriously, maybe we are going to run the ball that many times on a consistent basis, but just spread it over several backs.
The first round draft choice of Dwayne Bowe, would indicate we wanted a posession receiver.
Several have argued that Huard was successful against the weakest part of the schedule, I can't dispute that.

htismaqe
08-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Ok, this all makes a lot of sense. However, just looking at Huards success last year, was the leash short or is that what Herm's Chiefs offense is going to look like?
Seriously, maybe we are going to run the ball that many times on a consistent basis, but just spread it over several backs.
The first round draft choice of Dwayne Bowe, would indicate we wanted a posession receiver.
Several have argued that Huard was successful against the weakest part of the schedule, I can't dispute that.

The passes we threw week 1, and after Trent came back, were different than with Huard...

htismaqe
08-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Furthermore, the point is that, if we HAVE to make the offense simple in order for Huard to run it, what are we GAINING?

The answer is nothing, and at very worst, we could do the SAME simplification for Croyle.

HemiEd
08-16-2007, 02:54 PM
The passes we threw week 1, and after Trent came back, were different than with Huard...

Wasn't the Circus offense still in place though? Didn't Herm use it as an opportunity to dumb down the offense, woops I mean simplify it.
If starting Croyle will keep us from sinking to 32nd in offense, I am all for it.

Furthermore, the point is that, if we HAVE to make the offense simple in order for Huard to run it, what are we GAINING?

The answer is nothing, and at very worst, we could do the SAME simplification for Croyle.

I guess we will find out if the offense is still simple without Trent. My guess it will be.
We saw 9 defensive points scored against the Browns, nice, very nice. I think we all hope we don't become dependent on that though.

the Talking Can
08-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Herm is dead to me if Croyle is does not start week 1.

That would be the whole franchise copping out on a rebuild. It would be more mediocrity. It would be the essence of Carl-ism.

htismaqe
08-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Wasn't the Circus offense still in place though? Didn't Herm use it as an opportunity to dumb down the offense, woops I mean simplify it.
If starting Croyle will keep us from sinking to 32nd in offense, I am all for it.

I guess we will find out if the offense is still simple without Trent. My guess it will be.
We saw 9 defensive points scored against the Browns, nice, very nice. I think we all hope we don't become dependent on that though.

It's really not about what he's going to do with the offense, it's about what he did.

He simplified it when Huard was in. If that is what is required to start Huard, we could do the same thing with Croyle.

The thing about simplification, simple schemes like Cover 2 zone defenses deemphasize fancy schemes and emphasize TALENT.

If we're gonna dumb down the offense, we better start the guy that has the ability to make the most of it.

RealSNR
08-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Herm probably still hasn't totally made his mind up, yet.

Huard represents stability. He won't make as many mistakes as Croyle, and while he can't make the throws Croyle can, Herm maybe sees that as a good thing, sort of a natural leash.

The kind of offense Huard brings to the table is exactly what Herm loves, guys. The outcome of this battle may not be as obvious as it seems.

htismaqe
08-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Herm probably still hasn't totally made his mind up, yet.

Huard represents stability. He won't make as many mistakes as Croyle, and while he can't make the throws Croyle can, Herm maybe sees that as a good thing, sort of a natural leash.

The kind of offense Huard brings to the table is exactly what Herm loves, guys. The outcome of this battle may not be as obvious as it seems.

I've said this all along. I think starting Croyle is contrary to both Herm's nature AND Carl's nature.

Which is why I've resigned myself to accept that Huard is gonna start Week 1.

Skip Towne
08-16-2007, 03:30 PM
We gave Blackledge 5 years to develop. But Brodie only gets two. Why is that?

TEX
08-16-2007, 03:37 PM
I've said this all along. I think starting Croyle is contrary to both Herm's nature AND Carl's nature.

Which is why I've resigned myself to accept that Huard is gonna start Week 1.

I really don't see anythig wrong with that especially when you consider the play of our Tackles. Just because Huard starts the season as the "starter", doesn't mean he'll finish it that way. Besides, I think Herm wants to go with Croyle out of the shoot, but Peterson feels otherwise. I'm basing this purly on what I got off the show last night.

Anyway, if it were me, I'd go with Huard.

TEX
08-16-2007, 03:39 PM

It might not be the right time - just yet. Plus, it's a long season.

HemiEd
08-16-2007, 03:46 PM

Times have changed, immediate gratification is the way of the world now.

Rick
08-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Everyone has some good points! That kind of re-affirms what Herm is doing, huh? I want to win NOW and I don't believe either QB has shown who can do that best.

TRR
08-16-2007, 04:29 PM

It takes a lot more than 1 year as a 3rd stringer to get you ready to play at a respectful level in the NFL.

jjchieffan
08-16-2007, 04:46 PM
You know, this reminds me of Rich, the anti grbac, Gannon. Gannon was just a journeyman, not good enough to take a starting job, but when injury allowed him to enter the starting lineup, he won football games. Funny how some of the same people that worship Gannon, dont want Huard under center. Gannon was not the answer then, and Huard is not the answer now. comparably speaking, Huard is a better quarterback than Gannon ever was. I am glad to have him as a backup, not as a starter. Same goes for when Gannon was here.

Hammock Parties
08-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Huard is lucky I made a highlight film for him. He should be plenty happy just with that.

Hammock Parties
08-16-2007, 04:48 PM
comparably speaking, Huard is a better quarterback than Gannon ever was.

Jeez, I wouldn't say that.

htismaqe
08-16-2007, 05:10 PM
It takes a lot more than 1 year as a 3rd stringer to get you ready to play at a respectful level in the NFL.

No it doesn't.

I can name a dozen current starting QB's that defy that statement.

htismaqe
08-16-2007, 05:10 PM
I really don't see anythig wrong with that especially when you consider the play of our Tackles. Just because Huard starts the season as the "starter", doesn't mean he'll finish it that way. Besides, I think Herm wants to go with Croyle out of the shoot, but Peterson feels otherwise. I'm basing this purly on what I got off the show last night.

Anyway, if it were me, I'd go with Huard.

It might not be the right time - just yet. Plus, it's a long season.

Here's to 15 more years of somebody else's backup QB and no playoff wins.

YIPPEE!

Reerun_KC
08-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Why are Chiefs fans so scared to break away from the norm and try something different?

Damn 13 years of that Piece of Shit Marty and recyced QB's has beens are still the wet dreams of most Chiefs fans to this day...

F*ck Huard, he is a backup, always has and always will be... I would bet 100$ that Huard wouldnt be an upgrade as a starter for 28+ teams in this league...

If he was so freaking great? Why did he sign with KC for backup money and never test the market for a starters spot? Why?

Because testing the waters would of drove down his stock and given him less leverage for us to pay him his 7 Million...

Reerun_KC
08-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Here's to 15 more years of somebody else's backup QB and no playoff wins.

YIPPEE!

Thank you! Huard does nothing but set us back at least another 2 years... Plain and simple...

Huard does nothing for the youth, leadership or future of this franchise....

htismaqe
08-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Why are Chiefs fans so scared to break away from the norm and try something different?

These are the same fans that bitch and moan about the fact that Carl Peterson is still running this team. As if there's any wonder at all...

Reerun_KC
08-16-2007, 05:33 PM
These are the same fans that bitch and moan about the fact that Carl Peterson is still running this team. As if there's any wonder at all...

If Herm starts the season with Croyle, I promise not to bash Herm for at least 6 games...