PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion of Herm's coaching style?

Bowser
08-16-2007, 12:27 PM
After watching Hard Knocks and watching Herm jump aorund like he does, what do you think? I try and put Belichick in his shoes, and just can't see it. Even Shanahan, for that matter (blech).

Do you think Herm is an effective coach/leader, or do you think he is all antics and no show?

LOCOChief
08-16-2007, 12:30 PM
After watching Hard Knocks and watching Herm jump aorund like he does, what do you think? I try and put Belichick in his shoes, and just can't see it. Even Shanahan, for that matter (blech).

Do you think Herm is an effective coach/leader, or do you think he is all antics and no show?

Niether Belichick or Shanahan have the physical ability to hands on coach the way HE Does. I can however picture Shanahan with a man bag and fishnet stockings giving $2 tic checks in an airport mens room

ChiefsfaninPA
08-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Herm's doing okay. I like the way the franchise "seems" to be headed. Only time will tell. Everyone else has been a failure, so maybe my bar is low.

pikesome
08-16-2007, 12:35 PM

I'll let you know in January.

Mr. Plow
08-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Personally, I like Herm Edwards as a coach. I don't like his offensive "mind", but that's another subject.

He also seems that he is tough with his players, but able to relax and joke with them as well. I like him in KC, but not when the offense is on the field.

crazycoffey
08-16-2007, 12:39 PM
He's Okaaaaaaaaaaay

Baby Lee
08-16-2007, 12:41 PM
I loved how he was dogging on Sapp, telling him he still had those worms on his head, saying he was gonna put in that activator and 'pop' he'd turn into Wesley.

StcChief
08-16-2007, 12:43 PM
He plays to win the game. Nothing wrong with that :)

HemiEd
08-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Your question about his coaching style is a tough one.

I have a hard time overlooking what I perceived as total ineptitude last year. I grew to question his true motives. Did he actually want to win a playoff game with "Dicks Team?" Did he make a deal with Dungy when he went to their house for dinner? Terrible thought, but it ran through my mind. I began to despise him.

However, after watching him in the hard knocks series, especially the first one, I think his style of leadership will work in the long term. I think his talent and leadership are much greater than his personna through the media.

Is he a good game day coach, probably not yet. But if the team and other coaches are properly prepared, they should be able to overcome his shortfalls.

talastan
08-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Love Herm's style of coaching. He always interacting with players and expects nothing but the best from them. However it is Solari I think that will define this year's progress offensively. I think if this year is rebuilding then we need to consider another option at OC if he doesn't pan out.

noa
08-16-2007, 12:53 PM
I imagine it would be easier to take direction from a coach like Herm than a coach like DV.

chiefs4superbowl
08-16-2007, 12:54 PM
I like his mentality and draft picks. He understands defense.

I don't like this stuff.

http://espn.go.com/photo/2007/0112/pg2_dungy_edwards_195.jpg

pikesome
08-16-2007, 12:57 PM
I like his mentality and draft picks. He understands defense.

I don't like this stuff.

http://espn.go.com/photo/2007/0112/pg2_dungy_edwards_195.jpg

If he brings home a couple SB trophies I don't care if he acts like Nathan Lane in The Birdcage.

http://www.lazydork.com/movies/birdcage.jpg

ChiTown
08-16-2007, 12:59 PM
I know Gunther would like Herm to grow a beard, but.......

Mr. Laz
08-16-2007, 12:59 PM
marty part deux

Bowser
08-16-2007, 01:03 PM
I loved how he was dogging on Sapp, telling him he still had those worms on his head, saying he was gonna put in that activator and 'pop' he'd turn into Wesley.

That was funny shit. LMAO

Not sure, but I don't think Vermeil would ever go there......

beer bacon
08-16-2007, 01:10 PM
He is a good practice and off season coach. He gets the most out of his players. He has recognized talent in the draft, and he has been good at motivating them in practice and in games.

He has the right mentality to win in the NFL: play good defense and run the ball. He needs to loosen up a little if he wants to have a good shot at winning a Super Bowl. Like the Steelers a couple years back, a team that plays tough defense, runs the ball, but is also willing to run trick plays, throw long passes, and basically just twist the dagger once they have the advantage, is very tough to beat.

Herm just needs to take the next step. He needs to realize that while conservative offense and good defense will beat most teams, you need to take some offensive chances to beat the truly great teams.

chiefs4superbowl
08-16-2007, 04:05 PM
He is a good practice and off season coach. He gets the most out of his players. He has recognized talent in the draft, and he has been good at motivating them in practice and in games.

He has the right mentality to win in the NFL: play good defense and run the ball. He needs to loosen up a little if he wants to have a good shot at winning a Super Bowl. Like the Steelers a couple years back, a team that plays tough defense, runs the ball, but is also willing to run trick plays, throw long passes, and basically just twist the dagger once they have the advantage, is very tough to beat.

Herm just needs to take the next step. He needs to realize that while conservative offense and good defense will beat most teams, you need to take some offensive chances to beat the truly great teams.

I like your thoughts on his mentality.

Mr. Laz
08-16-2007, 04:09 PM
That was funny shit. LMAO

Not sure, but I don't think Vermeil would ever go there......
black people can make fun of black people without getting into trouble.

if Vermeil did it somebody,someplace would cry racism.

CoMoChief
08-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Coaching Style - Great

Motivation - Great

Talent evaluation - Great

X's and O's - Terrible

Predictability on Offense - Terrible

We just need someone else call the plays not named Solari or Edwards.

TEX
08-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Coaching Style - Great

Motivation - Great

Talent evaluation - Great

X's and O's - Terrible

Predictability on Offense - Terrible

We just need someone else call the plays not named Solari or Edwards.

You nailed it. He needs great coordinators, much like Marty. Except Marty was a bit better at X's & O's. .

TEX
08-16-2007, 04:20 PM
black people can make fun of black people without getting into trouble.

if Vermeil did it somebody,someplace would cry racism.

Yep. And the that's what's wrong with playing the race card about every stupid little thing. All that does is make a mockery out of racism when it really occurs...

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2007, 04:22 PM
If they fired Herm today I would be stoked.

TEX
08-16-2007, 04:24 PM
If they fired Herm today I would be stoked.

Me too!

Stinger
08-16-2007, 04:26 PM
I have him more like Cower with out that edge. Not a great X and O guy but gets a lot out his players and interacts with them quite a bit.

TEX
08-16-2007, 04:32 PM
I have him more like Cower with out that edge. Not a great X and O guy but gets a lot out his players and interacts with them quite a bit.

So he's a dumb Bill Cowher and a more conservative one.

Hammock Parties
08-16-2007, 04:34 PM
I bet Herm does plenty of that X's and O's stuff. The problem is that stuff doesn't make for great TV. We're never going to see Herm sitting down with a young DB and explaining the nuances of the Cover 2 against a five-wide formation.

DaKCMan AP
08-16-2007, 04:57 PM
I like Herm a lot as coach. He has a great personality, is hands on and can talk the talk because he walked the walk as a player. The main thing is he really teaches players which is what a coach is supposed to do.

ChiefaRoo
08-16-2007, 04:57 PM
I think Herm has a little too much preacher in him but I think he's a borderline excellent coach who's best days are ahead of him. He does need a good O coordinator though. I don't know if Solari is that guy or not.

Bowser
08-16-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm anxious to see what Solari does this year. We won't see much in the preseason except maybe aginst the Saints. I wonder how much of last year's average offense was on Solari and him being a rookie coordinator, or how much of it being the coaches trying to mask the discrepencies on the O-Line.

Hopefully he follows the same thought patterns of his predecessor Al Saunders and calls plays that aren't "by the book". Hopefully Herm will extend his leash a bit this year.

Reerun_KC
08-16-2007, 05:08 PM
STFU

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm anxious to see what Solari does this year. .

Besides run, run, pass? LMAO Solari could make any retard look like a friggen psychic.

Bowser
08-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Besides run, run, pass? LMAO Solari could make any retard look like a friggen psychic.

You summed it nicely, really.

I want to see some frickin' creative playcalling - throw deep on first and ten, run a draw on second and eight - throw a screen pass on third and one. ANYTHING but three yards and a pile of shit.

Hammock Parties
08-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Nine of the first 13 plays last week were passes.

Reerun_KC
08-16-2007, 05:22 PM
ANYTHING but three yards and a pile of shit.

This should really replace the name of the offense... run, run, pass, punt is no where near as funny as this... I just spit Beer out my nose!

Rep to you!

BIG_DADDY
08-16-2007, 05:24 PM

Good thing they fixed the offense when Herm came in.

Bowser
08-16-2007, 05:24 PM

Yeah, and that was nice, don't get me wrong. It's just how we pass - I don't want to see a ton of the Kimble Anders route. Be creative in the routes AND when we utilize them. That's what I want to see! Keep defenses off balance. I'd love to see us come out in three tight end on second and short then split everyone out to five wide.

Hammock Parties
08-16-2007, 05:26 PM
They aren't going to show any of that stuff in preseason.

And what's more, consider the OL.

siberian khatru
08-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Great motivator, good evaluator of talent, mediocre game coach.

Bowser
08-16-2007, 05:27 PM
They aren't going to show any of that stuff in preseason.

And what's more, consider the OL.

Agreed. That's why I'll wait until wek 2 to really start bitching about it. :D

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope Herm and Solari have learned from last year's mistakes.