PDA

View Full Version : Why so many empty seats?

jAZ
08-16-2007, 06:35 PM
That's embarssing.

kcxiv
08-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Its preseason.

Deberg_1990
08-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Its called pre season.

noa
08-16-2007, 06:41 PM
And its also 97 degrees and raining

DomerNKC
08-16-2007, 06:47 PM
nobody wants to watch bad football.

Predarat
08-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Thursday night pre season.

cookster50
08-16-2007, 07:04 PM
This thread is embarassing. What are you, a n00b or something?

Bearcat
08-16-2007, 07:17 PM
I think our Cubs-esque attitude towards filling the seats is kind of embarassing, but whatever :shrug:

Valiant
08-16-2007, 07:26 PM
It's Thursday..
Right after people get off work..
It's Preseason..
It's hot..
It's miserable outside..

And who wants to pay those prices in addition to everything above???

morphius
08-16-2007, 07:32 PM
It's Thursday..
Right after people get off work..
It's Preseason..
It's hot..
It's miserable outside..

And who wants to pay those prices in addition to everything above???
and it is supposed to storm.

Spott
08-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Considering that the Dolphins last preseason game was only about half full last Saturday night, I think it is a pretty good preseason crowd.

Fat Elvis
08-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Those empty seats represent the 50,000 people still on the waiting list for season tickets (according to Carl)?

jAZ
08-16-2007, 08:33 PM
I think jAZ just started this thread so he'd have a trump card to use the next time someone called one of his DC threads the stupidest thread he's ever started.
Seriously, why is this a stupid question?

I've not ever seen this before.

It looks like a good 30% of the seats were empty all game long.

Would that be the worst pre-season showing at Arrowhead in the last 10-15 years? If not the worst, then the worst nationally televised, prime-time game?

Deberg_1990
08-16-2007, 08:35 PM
It looks like a good 30% of the seats are empty.

Would that be the worst pre-season showing at Arrowhead in the last 10-15 years? If not the worst, then the worst nationally televised, prime-time game?

Your an idiot. Ive seen it bare like that plenty of times in August.

jAZ
08-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Your an idiot.
ROFL

That never gets old.

This is just bonus.
Ive seen it ...

jAZ
08-16-2007, 08:41 PM
Those empty seats represent the 50,000 people still on the waiting list for season tickets (according to Carl)?
Oh, well then I guess this was a stupid question.

Sorry.

;)

memyselfI
08-16-2007, 08:45 PM
School started yesterday, today, or tomorrow for a majority of the area...

jAZ
08-16-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm pretty sure jAZ has blown his nose and expelled snot smarter than you.
Seriously though... what's wrong with this question?

ChiTown
08-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Honestly, a great number of people have just stopped caring. I think the Chiefs have finally reached the fan boiling point on suckage. It's not enough to keep throwing a bunch of crap on the field. People would like to see a playoff win or two every decade or so.

Mr. Kotter
08-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Your football incompetency is only surpassed by your lack of political acumen. :shake:

Deberg_1990
08-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Oh, well then I guess this was a stupid question.

Sorry.

;)

Seriously, u seem like a smart enough guy. Why do u feel the need to antagonize everyone with dumb questions and threads like this?? Whats the point??

Mr. Kotter
08-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Seriously, u seem like a smart enough guy. Why do u feel the need to antagonize everyone with dumb questions and threads like this?? Whats the point??

Smart enough, perhaps; delusional and myopic, as a result of his ideological blinders though....leads one to do really stupid shit--as he demostrates on a daily/weekly basis. In other words, often. :shake:

Extra Point
08-16-2007, 09:44 PM
I went. My bro's boss invited him and another. His girlfriend gets home from work at 7, so he asked me. We left before things fell apart.

Medlock needs a mentor, of sorts. Maybe they should hire Kendall Gammon and Morten Anderson to do some tutoring for ball exchange-step timing. Snaps are a bit high high and outside, and Medlock takes his first step a tad too early.

Predarat
08-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Pour antifreeze on the empty seats and they will not be empty next game.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-16-2007, 09:51 PM
Because people are getting smarter in not buying preseason tickets.

Mr. Kotter
08-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Pour antifreeze on the empty seats and they will not be empty next game.

73,000 season tickets are "sold;" I wasn't there tonight. Thursday "preseason" game....during my first week back to school?

Meh.... :rolleyes:

jAZ
08-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Antagonize who? Why is it dumb?

The point is, I wanted to know if there was some explanation for why there were 30% of the seats empty.

It's not something I expect to see at a game at Arrowhead.

So far, the answers range from...

1) Fans have given up
2) They were getting nachos (game thread)
3) The weather was bad
4) Kick off was close to work time (7pm?)
5) School starts this week
6) It's pre-season
7) It's a Thursday night
8) It's not unsual in August

I don't live in KC, know nothing about the temperature, the chance of rain, the school schedule. But I do know that every time I've seen a game on in Prime Time, the stadium is completely sold out.

I've yet to see anyone even attempt to explain why it's a stupid question.

Though I did notice that the same question was talked about by at least 8 different posters in the game thread....

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/search.php?searchid=169333

And a thread with 5 people over at ChiefsCoalition...

http://www.chiefscoalition.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=69822

6+ differnet thoughts on the subject. At least 12 different people raised the issue (outside of this thread).

Yet it's a stupid question.

I'll ask again. Why is it a stupid question?

Deberg_1990
08-16-2007, 10:02 PM
I'll ask again. Why is it a stupid question?

Ok, its not a stupid question. I hope you found this thread to be informative.

Eleazar
08-16-2007, 10:03 PM
empty seat != unsold seat.[/carl]

Eleazar
08-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Well, it's kind of a silly question because the answer is obvious. Nobody cares about preseason football.

jAZ
08-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Well, it's kind of a silly question because the answer is obvious. Nobody cares about preseason football.
Well, the range of guesses put forward seems to dispel the notion that there's a singular obvious-to-all answer.

suds79
08-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Well, the range of guesses put forward seems to dispel the notion that there's a singular obvious-to-all answer.

Maybe so but I've got to believe that's the vast majority of it.

jAZ
08-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Ok, its not a stupid question. I hope you found this thread to be informative.
Well, I was kind of expecting someone to say that season ticket sales are off by XX% and it's reflected in the seats for the games. But I did learn that school started this week and KC turned into a tropical rain forest for at least one day.

That's something I didn't know.

Phobia
08-16-2007, 10:27 PM
30%? I'd say more like 60% empty.

In the 4th quarter, it was more like 85% empty.

jAZ
08-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Maybe so but I've got to believe that's the vast majority of it.
I don't get to see every home pre-season game. But I don't ever recall (since Marty arrived) seeing so many empty seats for a home game.

Seriously. The fact that it was note-worthy to a dozen different people watching the game suggests that this is not he typical preseason crowd.

jAZ
08-16-2007, 10:29 PM
30%? I'd say more like 60% empty.

In the 4th quarter, it was more like 85% empty.
I was trying to guard agaisnt hyperbole. 30% seemed on the conservative side.

Demonpenz
08-16-2007, 10:30 PM
i smell a blackout soon

Deberg_1990
08-16-2007, 10:38 PM
I don't get to see every home pre-season game. But I don't ever recall (since Marty arrived) seeing so many empty seats for a home game.

Ive seen it plenty of times over the years. But i will admit the rose has long since bloomed and wilted away for the Carl Peterson era Chiefs. So yes, it probably was a little more empty tonight than usual.

In the early 90's there was alot more genuine excitement because it appeared we were truly building something, and we were coming out of those horrible 80's years...

After 18 years or Carl Peterson, the fanbase has grown apathetic.

BigRedChief
08-16-2007, 10:45 PM
Part of the reason is apathy.
Part is that it's pre-season.
And another part is all the other reasons (school night, threatning weather, work night, school started for some communities etc.)

The Chiefs are going to have blackouts soon. Maybe this season. Part of that reason is the NFL high ticket prices. My yearly bill for 3 tickets has reached $3,000. My family can do a lot of different things with that money. Part is that people are pissed off about the lack of a Super Bowl apperance and no playoff wins since 1993. Only the Lions and Bengal fans have waited longer.

Last year you had great fans like Nzoner give up their tickets, this year many more loud and proud fans also gave their tickets up. I sold some of my games including the one tonight. Next year I'm thinking of dumping the tickets until King Carl's rein has ended.

morphius
08-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Part of the reason is apathy.
Part is that it's pre-season.
And another part is all the other reasons (school night, threatning weather, work night, school started for some communities etc.)

The Chiefs are going to have blackouts soon. Maybe this season. Part of that reason is the NFL high ticket prices. My yearly bill for 3 tickets has reached $3,000. My family can do a lot of different things with that money. Part is that people are pissed off about the lack of a Super Bowl apperance and no playoff wins since 1993. Only the Lions and Bengal fans have waited longer.

Last year you had great fans like Nzoner give up their tickets, this year many more loud and proud fans also gave their tickets up. I sold some of my games including the one tonight. Next year I'm thinking of dumping the tickets until King Carl's rein has ended.
I just can't see them keeping past his current contract, I think that Herms last year of the contract will be the end.

God willing.

08-16-2007, 11:31 PM
I just can't see them keeping past his current contract, I think that Herms last year of the contract will be the end.

God willing.

Let's hope both he and Herm are gone by then. This town can't take any more of it.

stevieray
08-16-2007, 11:47 PM
because they suck and the fans are worse.

08-16-2007, 11:48 PM
because they suck and the fans are worse.
Where were you tonight?

stevieray
08-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Where were you tonight?

third row of the endzone.

08-16-2007, 11:55 PM
third row of the endzone.
Kept trying to find you but never saw ya. Should have arranged a meet because my son wanted to see you out there.

stevieray
08-16-2007, 11:58 PM
Kept trying to find you but never saw ya. Should have arranged a meet because my son wanted to see you out there.

keep me informed...i'll be there...

08-17-2007, 12:01 AM
keep me informed...i'll be there...
Might try to make it to another late season game like last year. I will get with ya on it then. Sorry I missed ya.

ClevelandBronco
08-17-2007, 12:18 AM
...I do know that every time I've seen a game on in Prime Time, the stadium is completely sold out...

This isn't a "game in prime time," it's just a public practice session for some players and a tryout for others. The NFL would like us to believe it's a game, but at some point in most everyone's fandom, we come to realize that this is just an opportunity for the league to whet our appetites. It'll all be good come September.

Remember too: Before MNF, ESPN, the NFLN, the invention of Thursday night games, etc. there weren't very many prime time opportunities to see any single team. Now the television schedule is almost lousy with prime time viewing opportunities.

GoTrav
08-17-2007, 12:25 AM
lot N was full as hell, I was a bit disappointed when I went to seats.

ChiefsCountry
08-17-2007, 12:31 AM

He was on Arrowvision, it was Steve and hot girls on it all night.

ChiefsCountry
08-17-2007, 12:33 AM
Here are my reasons for empty seats tonight:

1) Thursday Night on ESPN, work/school night plus national tv game
2) Weather - too hot and rain
3) Chiefs Suckage - alot of people are down on the Chiefs, for good reason