PDA

View Full Version : 2 hours ago on Vick

tommykat
08-17-2007, 08:28 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7130140?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10347

What is the dumbass gonna do?

the Talking Can
08-17-2007, 08:30 PM
he's gonna find out what a rape stand feels like real soon....

tommykat
08-17-2007, 08:32 PM
he's gonna find out what a rape stand feels like real soon....
Yip thinking the same......egadssss....:Lin:

Mr. Laz
08-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Two more plead guilty; no word from Vick

FOXSports.com, Updated 2 hours ago

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - It's up to Michael Vick now.

His last two co-defendants pleaded guilty Friday and implicated Vick in bankrolling gambling on dogfights. One of them said the Atlanta Falcons quarterback helped drown or hang dogs that didn't do well.

With his NFL career in jeopardy and a superseding indictment adding more charges in the works, that left Vick with a hard choice: Cutting his own deal to hold jail time under a year or go to trial and sit through detailed descriptions of the ghastly operation known as "Bad Newz Kennels."

Quanis Phillips of Atlanta and Purnell Peace of Virginia Beach entered plea agreements and agreed to testify against Vick. A third member of the dogfighting ring, Tony Taylor, struck a similar deal last month.

Vick's lawyers have been negotiating with prosecutors. One of Vick's attorneys, Lawrence Woodward, attended the plea hearings but declined to answer questions about the progress of the negotiations as he left the courthouse.

"Did you conspire with these folks to sponsor a dogfighting venture?" U.S. District Judge Henry Hudson asked Peace.

"Yes, sir," he replied.

As part of the plea agreements, Phillips and Peace signed statements that said Vick joined in executing at least eight dogs that didn't do well in test fights by various methods, including hanging and drowning.

"Peace, Phillips and Vick executed approximately 8 dogs that did not perform well in 'testing' sessions at 1915 Moonlight Road by various methods, including hanging and drowning. All three participated in executing the dogs. Peace agrees and stipulates that these dogs all died as a result of the collective efforts of Peace, Phillips and Vick," Peace's statement said.

Vick also posed for a photo with three co-defendants and a pit bull they were about to sponsor in a dogfight in North Carolina four years ago, according to Peace's statement of facts.

It was unclear whether prosecutors — or anyone — has a copy of that photo.

Phillips and Peace also backed up Taylor's assertion that Vick was involved in gambling.

"The 'Bad Newz Kennels' operation and gambling monies were almost exclusively funded by Vick," according to statements by the two men.

Those allegations alone could trigger a lifetime ban under the NFL's personal conduct policy.

Commissioner Roger Goodell has barred Vick from the Falcons' training camp but has withheld further action while the league conducts its own investigation. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league had no comment on the latest pleas.

Peace and Phillips pleaded guilty to the same charge facing Vick: conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiracy to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture. Sentencing was set for Nov. 30.

The offense is punishable by up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. The men will get credit for accepting responsibility and cooperating with the government but would be penalized for animal brutality.

Peace remains free until sentencing, but Hudson found that Phillips violated the terms of his release by failing a drug test and ordered him jailed.

About 30 animal-rights activists protested quietly outside the courthouse. Afterward, as police officers cleared the scene, protesters continued waving large pictures of a mutilated dog.

"This is one dogfighting ring that's been annihilated," said John Goodwin, a spokesman for the Humane Society of the United States.

The four defendants all initially pleaded not guilty, and Vick issued a statement saying he looked forward to clearing his name.

The case began in April with a search of Vick's property in Surry County, a few miles from Vick's hometown of Newport News. Investigators seized dozens of pit bulls, some of them injured, and equipment typically used in dogfighting operations.

The four men were indicted July 17.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

the Talking Can
08-17-2007, 08:38 PM
thinking about the odds that Vick is in Jail soon, does the San Diego trade of Vick for LT and Brees look like one of the best trades ever, in any sport?

ArrowheadHawk
08-17-2007, 08:39 PM
that man is ****ed and will never see an nfl field again

Hammock Parties
08-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Vick will be welcomed to prison like a hero.

KcMizzou
08-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Vick will be welcomed to prison like a hero."You're here for fightin' dogs?!?!? WTF, they were your dogs, man!"

(That's either an inmate, or Clinton Portis.. either will work)

Skip Towne
08-17-2007, 08:45 PM
I'll bet his new neighbors find him young and tender.

Eleazar
08-17-2007, 09:07 PM
"You're here for fightin' dogs?!?!? WTF, they were your dogs, man!"

(That's either an inmate, or Clinton Portis.. either will work)

Reminds me of Borat.

"Look, there's a society against cruelty to animals." (sic)

(borat cackles) "AGAINST cruelty to animals!?"

(riotous laughter)

Mecca
08-17-2007, 09:14 PM
that man is ****ed and will never see an nfl field again

Actually he can cop a plea and get about a year......I don't think he's done by any means unless the NFL wants to suspend him for life which would be well ridiculous.

Fat Elvis
08-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Actually he can cop a plea and get about a year......I don't think he's done by any means unless the NFL wants to suspend him for life which would be well ridiculous.

Nope. He's done. Virginia is gonna go after him based on the evidence from the federal case....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7131666

"The execution of these animals — and the manner in which they were executed — is startlingly offensive and demanding of prosecution," Poindexter said, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

In Virginia, animal cruelty charges hold penalties of up to five years in jail for each animal killed.

Bob Dole
08-17-2007, 09:28 PM

Ridiculous, unless the league is worried about PR.

Do you just take the contrary opinion for the entertainment, or are you really a loon?

pikesome
08-17-2007, 09:29 PM

The gambling and lying are going to be hard to get around for the NFL. I don't see how Vick can cop and not admit to gambling and that's the ultimate sin in the NFL.

Hootie
08-17-2007, 09:30 PM
thinking about the odds that Vick is in Jail soon, does the San Diego trade of Vick for LT and Brees look like one of the best trades ever, in any sport?
they drafted Brees with their own pick

Kclee
08-17-2007, 09:32 PM

I thought that even before the dog fighting.

Mecca
08-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Ridiculous, unless the league is worried about PR.

Do you just take the contrary opinion for the entertainment, or are you really a loon?

Because I don't think he should be suspended for life? I don't see how that's contrary I think that would be completely over the top.

pikesome
08-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Because I don't think he should be suspended for life? I don't see how that's contrary I think that would be completely over the top.

You have to admit there's a real good chance that he's going to get a lifetime ban though. The gambling gives the NFL every right if I understand the league rules right and you know Goodell, Blank and a good chunk of the NFL have to be smarting from this whole fiasco.

Skip Towne
08-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Vick should be given a fair trial and then be summarily executed. By hanging, drowning or electrocution. Or all of the above.

Mecca
08-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Personally I think he should have to repay whatever amount of his signing bonus is remaining on his deal to the Falcons.

Then I think he should have a suspension that runs concurrent with his jail term with a 1 year extension so he's out at least another year after.

the Talking Can
08-17-2007, 09:44 PM
the Falcons will go after his bonus the second he pleads out.....

pikesome
08-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Personally I think he should have to repay whatever amount of his signing bonus is remaining on his deal to the Falcons.

Then I think he should have a suspension that runs concurrent with his jail term with a 1 year extension so he's out at least another year after.

Depends, on ESPN tonight I heard a lawyer say he expected 12-16 months for the small fish and that Vick should get more. If we're talking 24-36 months in prison I wouldn't feel sick giving only another year suspension after that. It would mean the end of his career most likely though.

Ultra Peanut
08-17-2007, 09:47 PM
he's gonna find out what a rape stand feels like real soon....I usually frown on prison rape jokes, because they're so ****ing easy and frankly, pretty sick when you get down to it.

That was pretty nice, though.

Vick should be given a fair trial and then be summarily executed. By hanging, drowning or electrocution. Or all of the above.Agreed. Even if he's found not guilty.

Skip Towne
08-17-2007, 09:48 PM

Just make the suspension run consecutive to his jail term and eliminate the extension.

pikesome
08-17-2007, 09:48 PM
the Falcons will go after his bonus the second he pleads out.....

Why do you think we haven't heard a plea yet? I think Vick's lawyers have found there is no way to cop a plea and avoid paying back SB money and a bad suspension. We keep hearing about them trying to save his career, I think they should be worried about saving his anal virginity.

Mecca
08-17-2007, 09:51 PM
If what they'd want back is something like 30 million dollars......I think I'd take my 4 years in prison and retire quietly back home with my cash.

FAX
08-17-2007, 09:53 PM
I agree with Mr. Mecca on this one. I think the likelihood of Vick playing again in the NFL is actually pretty good.

I can foresee a circumstance in which he pleads to a deal and gets 12 months in jail. He's paid his debt to society, he goes before the media and performs the obligatory mia culpa, and starts volunteering for the Animal Welfare Association. It's well within the realm of possibility that the NFL allows him to come back as a reformed dog killer. The games would sell out.

If anything, it's the gambling charge that blows that scenario out of the water bowl.

FAX

Skip Towne
08-17-2007, 09:54 PM
Why do you think we haven't heard a plea yet? I think Vick's lawyers have found there is no way to cop a plea and avoid paying back SB money and a bad suspension. We keep hearing about them trying to save his career, I think they should be worried about saving his anal virginity.
This is beyond his anal virgnity. He will do time. Can you imagine the prestige an inmate would gain to be able to boast he did Michael Vick in the butt?

the Talking Can
08-17-2007, 09:54 PM
If what they'd want back is something like 30 million dollars......I think I'd take my 4 years in prison and retire quietly back home with my cash.

they're comiing after it no matter what the sentence is....

Mecca
08-17-2007, 09:56 PM
This is beyond his anal virgnity. He will do time. Can you imagine the prestige an inmate would gain to be able to boast he did Michael Vick in the butt?

Just so we know, Vick is an icon to the Black community and didn't commit a crime against a child in all honesty I don't think he's going to be targeted in jail. Other than people wanting to be his bodyguards and pals. Thinking they can get some jack and help when he's out.

pikesome
08-17-2007, 09:57 PM

He's giving the money back regardless. A conviction will give the Falcons enough, I believe, to get at least most back. The only way Vick keeps his money is if he is found not guilty on all counts.

cdcox
08-17-2007, 09:57 PM

That's Vick's best move right now, IMO. He could try to rehab his image, if that is important to him, but I doubt that happens on the playing field.

pikesome
08-17-2007, 09:59 PM
I agree with Mr. Mecca on this one. I think the likelihood of Vick playing again in the NFL is actually pretty good.

I can foresee a circumstance in which he pleads to a deal and gets 12 months in jail. He's paid his debt to society, he goes before the media and performs the obligatory mia culpa, and starts volunteering for the Animal Welfare Association. It's well within the realm of possibility that the NFL allows him to come back as a reformed dog killer. The games would sell out.

If anything, it's the gambling charge that blows that scenario out of the water bowl.

FAX

Tom Donaghy has poisoned the well on the gambling for a while. I doubt the NFL goes easy on him.

cdcox
He's giving the money back regardless. A conviction will give the Falcons enough, I believe, to get at least most back. The only way Vick keeps his money is if he is found not guilty on all counts.

He'll keep all the money he has earned by playing and the pro-rated portion of his salary cap. He can easily live out his days as a rich, rich man.

Fat Elvis

And without that signing bonus money, the lawyers don't get paid....

Stinger
08-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Can you imagine the prestige an inmate would gain to be able to boast he did Michael Vick in the butt?

Well NIKE would have a new campain idea for the Michael Vick Experience pitch they tried last year.

pikesome
08-17-2007, 10:03 PM
He'll keep all the money he has earned by playing and the pro-rated portion of his salary cap. He can easily live out his days as a rich, rich man.

Not if he gets a RICO conviction, those things are F'n evil. Something like 20 years and $25,000 in fines on EACH COUNT. A lot depends on the indictment but if you read the statement of facts from the other guys you can see the Feds gearing it up.

the Talking Can
08-17-2007, 10:05 PM
i heard reported, and don't know if it is true, that the judge has full discretion in sentencing regardless of any plea agreement...i.e. the prosecution can advise a reduced sentence based on Vick's plea, but the Judge is still free to impose the maximum sentence...

FAX
08-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Not if he gets a RICO conviction, those things are F'n evil. Something like 20 years and $25,000 in fines on EACH COUNT. A lot depends on the indictment but if you read the statement of facts from the other guys you can see the Feds gearing it up.

He'll be okay.

He can write a book called, "If I Had Drowned A Dog (This Is How I Would Have Done It)".

FAX

pikesome
08-17-2007, 10:07 PM
i heard reported, and don't know if it is true, that the judge has full discretion in sentencing regardless of any plea agreement...i.e. the prosecution can advise a reduced sentence based on Vick's plea, but the Judge is still free to impose the maximum sentence...

And this is the wrong court to be relying on the Judge's mercy. The court's history suggests it's going to unkind.

pikesome
08-17-2007, 10:08 PM
He'll be okay.

He can write a book called, "If I Had Drowned A Dog (This Is How I Would Have Done It)".

FAX

You and Stinger, quality CP banter, I salute you. :)

the Talking Can
08-17-2007, 10:09 PM
And this is the wrong court to be relying on the Judge's mercy. The court's history suggests it's going to unkind.

yeah, the judge is reported to be a hard ass as well....Vick is in a very tough situation

Ultra Peanut
Long story short: If he doesn't plea out, he's even dumber than anyone could have thought.

cdcox

I'm assuming he cops. He'd be insane to go up against RICO charges. As you point out, they carry stiffer charges AND are easier to get a conviction.

Plea, prison, public relations and eventual redemption. But his career is likely over.

pikesome
08-17-2007, 10:16 PM
I'm assuming he cops. He'd be insane to go up against RICO charges. As you point out, they carry stiffer charges AND are easier to get a conviction.

Plea, prison, public relations and eventual redemption. But his career is likely over.

He better get his ass in gear, if the Grand Jury is going to hand down new charges as has been reported, they could come out Monday afternoon. At that point it's going to be hard to cop to what's on the table now and get the Feds to drop the RICO counts. I don't understand what Vick's doing waiting. He's not going to be able to save his career, IMHO, prison + suspension + bad PR = 3rd string Arena League at best.

cdcox
08-17-2007, 10:18 PM
He better get his ass in gear, if the Grand Jury is going to hand down new charges as has been reported, they could come out Monday afternoon. At that point it's going to be hard to cop to what's on the table now and get the Feds to drop the RICO counts. I don't understand what Vick's doing waiting. He's not going to be able to save his career, IMHO, prison + suspension + bad PR = 3rd string Arena League at best.

I don't think the Feds will drop the RICO charges why negotiations are on going. As long as both sides are talking, Vick is safe from the RICO charges. But you're right. Vick needs to make a deal sooner rather than later.

pikesome
08-17-2007, 10:24 PM
I don't think the Feds will drop the RICO charges why negotiations are on going. As long as both sides are talking, Vick is safe from the RICO charges. But you're right. Vick needs to make a deal sooner rather than later.

It depends on how bad the Feds want to get Vick. If their stick to normal business then they get the indictments soon (Monday, Tuesday) and let him twist. They Feds have no motivation to hurry the trial or plead it to insure a conviction. The court is pretty well fast tracked and the evidence is looking like a prosecutor's wet dream for cases like this. If, on the other hand, they feel like giving Vick a break or he can offer something to get bigger fish then they'll hit the hold button on the GJ to apply pressure while giving Vick an out of some sort. Comes down to the lead prosecutor I think.

Bob Dole
08-17-2007, 10:39 PM

You honestly believe the NFL, with its new, tougher Commissioner, is going to allow the guy back on the field if he's convicted?

The NFL is taking great pains to reassure the fans that they're not turning into the NBA. If he's found guilty on all this shit, his career is toast.

tk13
08-17-2007, 10:43 PM
At this point, his career might be toast regardless of what kind of suspension he gets. Best case scenario it's a year, so he sits out 2 or 3 full seasons. That's hard to come back from, I just don't think he's gonna come back out and be the same player. And on top of that, he'd be the most hated player in professional sports, it'd be worse than Barry Bonds. It'd be a huge distraction.

Bob Dole
08-17-2007, 10:46 PM
...I just don't think he's gonna come back out and be the same player.

You say that like it would be a bad thing.

Skip Towne
08-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Do the Feds allow an Alford plea? (Nolo Contendre) I hope not. Vick has a lot of money and he can buy a lot of justice.

TrebMaxx
08-17-2007, 10:56 PM
He is toast in the NFL. IMHO, I never thought he was that great of a QB in the first place. I think his career was about to take a downward spiral before all of this dog fighting drama started. This was his year to prove that he had something as a QB and not just a below average passer with above average running skills. Now he will not be able show if he had true QB skills in him, he will be out of the league for 1 or 2 years who knows how long. There might be only one owner Al Davis that would be willing to take a chance on him.

pikesome
08-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Do the Feds allow an Alford plea? (Nolo Contendre) I hope not. Vick has a lot of money and he can buy a lot of justice.

It wouldn't matter, the only thing that might get him is protection for his SB/contract and the CBA specifically states that no contest is just the same as guilty.

Ugly Duck
08-17-2007, 11:20 PM
You honestly believe the NFL, with its new, tougher Commissioner, is going to allow the guy back on the field if he's convicted?

The NFL is taking great pains to reassure the fans that they're not turning into the NBA. If he's found guilty on all this shit, his career is toast.

What he said....

BIG_DADDY
08-18-2007, 01:05 PM
If he is hanging and drowning these dogs I don't care what they do to him. Frankly if that's the case I think they should teach some of the bad ass pits out there to be human aggressive and put him in the box with them. We could all have our weekely Vick against the pits fights on Fox sports and all bet on it.

BIG_DADDY
08-18-2007, 01:07 PM

I wouldn't agree with you if these drowning and hanging shit wasn't there. Being it is I'm still not sure they won't just give him a 2 year suspension. Then there will be the who wants to sign him factor, maybe the Raiders.

HypnotizedMonkey
08-18-2007, 01:48 PM
they should re-start the XFL with all of these F-ups .. more and more talent in the pool every day!

PinkFloyd
08-18-2007, 01:54 PM
And just think... If OJ would have murdered afew dogs, he would be in the same place as Vick right now...

Wile_E_Coyote
08-18-2007, 02:08 PM
I don't see jail time for killing the dogs. Jail time for the gambling. He should qualify for country club prison

GoHuge
08-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Vick will be welcomed to prison like a hero.My point exactly. We could get together and put a reality situation on BET. Hell they got one for Lil Kim so why couldn't we do the same with Vick? Call it "The Real Longest yard. We on CP could make millions. Kinda of a sweeping floors at Google type thing.

dtrain
08-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Nope. He's done. Virginia is gonna go after him based on the evidence from the federal case....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7131666

"The execution of these animals — and the manner in which they were executed — is startlingly offensive and demanding of prosecution," Poindexter said, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

In Virginia, animal cruelty charges hold penalties of up to five years in jail for each animal killed.

Isn't that like double jeopardy?

Fat Elvis
08-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Isn't that like double jeopardy?

Not if they bring up different charges than the feds.

Braincase
08-18-2007, 03:31 PM
"...and it's the final play, the Guards versus Mean Machine.... Spread formation...single running back, Jamal Lewis on a probation violation... Vick takes the snap, drops back... and hits Rae Carruth wide open for the touchdown!!!!!!"

BIG_DADDY
08-18-2007, 05:03 PM
The problem here is two fold for Mike. THe gambling alone isn't the big deal either that going to guarantee he does time. Transporting the dogs over state lines for fightitng and gambling numerous times is his biggest problem. Combine that with the fact that he put down dogs the way they are saying he did will cause the public to also demand he does some time. I still say he does no more than a year of actual time. 2 year suspension from football. Then he has to try and deal with trying to get signed when the public hates him now.

I still say he's not toast though.

Mojo Rising
08-18-2007, 05:21 PM
The problem here is two fold for Mike. THe gambling alone isn't the big deal either that going to guarantee he does time. Transporting the dogs over state lines for fightitng and gambling numerous times is his biggest problem. Combine that with the fact that he put down dogs the way they are saying he did will cause the public to also demand he does some time. I still say he does no more than a year of actual time. 2 year suspension from football. Then he has to try and deal with trying to get signed when the public hates him now.

I still say he's not toast though.

I don't see him getting less than 2 years. He was the kingpin. From what I have read the judge follows a scoring system to determine the sentence. His score is not good as the leader.

On Friday when one of his homies rolled on him the judge sited the disturbing facts in the case (likely the euthanization circumstances.)

I have also read that his buddies are looking at 12-14 months. So, he would be in line for a longer sentence. There is a lot of speculation in the media now so who knows?

This is a Fed case, not a State, so it is more serious.

I say Goodell suspends him for 2 years from when he is able to play. The media is making a big deal about the fact that he lied to the commish. I guess the new conduct policy mandates that you tell the truth, and the whole truth.

Then the NFL will not look kindly on the gambling activities.

If I were the NFL I would do whatever I could to keep him out as long as possible.

All that said. If he were to come back his best bet is a slash type of role or a back-up QB. He is a good running back. Not a good QB.

BIG_DADDY
08-18-2007, 05:28 PM
I don't see him getting less than 2 years. He was the kingpin. From what I have read the judge follows a scoring system to determine the sentence. His score is not good as the leader.

On Friday when one of his homies rolled on him the judge sited the disturbing facts in the case (likely the euthanization circumstances.)

I have also read that his buddies are looking at 12-14 months. So, he would be in line for a longer sentence. There is a lot of speculation in the media now so who knows?

This is a Fed case, not a State, so it is more serious.

I say Goodell suspends him for 2 years from when he is able to play. The media is making a big deal about the fact that he lied to the commish. I guess the new conduct policy mandates that you tell the truth, and the whole truth.

Then the NFL will not look kindly on the gambling activities.

If I were the NFL I would do whatever I could to keep him out as long as possible.

All that said. If he were to come back his best bet is a slash type of role or a back-up QB. He is a good running back. Not a good QB.

He will still most likely only do 12 months on a 2 year sentence.

Mojo Rising
08-18-2007, 05:33 PM
He will still most likely only do 12 months on a 2 year sentence.

You might be right. The press has been reporting that the Feds don't cut sentences like the states do. However, Martha got out early.

BIG_DADDY
08-18-2007, 05:35 PM
You might be right. The press has been reporting that the Feds don't cut sentences like the states do. However, Martha got out early.

Club Fed oooooooooooooooooooooooo. LMAO

Vick just really needs his ass beat.

the Talking Can
08-18-2007, 05:47 PM
don't the Feds have a rule about seving 90% of your sentence? or something like that...unless Vick is friends with the prez, he's going to do the time...

BIG_DADDY
08-18-2007, 05:48 PM
don't the Feds have a rule about seving 90% of your sentence? or something like that...unless Vick is friends with the prez, he's going to do the time...

You got me. I still don't think he will serve more than a year.

Demonpenz
08-18-2007, 05:52 PM
some of those video's really wanted got me wanting to be a fed. I remember someone once telling me that I should try for the FBI and obvousily they didn't know what a drunkan baffon I was. I think I will just get a fed bowling style shirt

Mojo Rising
08-18-2007, 05:58 PM
I thought I remembered Martha Stewart getting released early (previous post) but from a dated article I just read she served her full 5 month prison term.

She is the only recent Fed convict I can think of off the top of my head.

Seems like the feds are tougher.

the Talking Can
08-18-2007, 06:06 PM
googling around, it seems there is no parole for federal convictions and they must serve 85% of the sentence