PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV help

ILChief
08-18-2007, 08:16 AM
I had a 3LNB dish with HD and everything was working fine. About a month ago, I got an email from Directv telling me i could get a free 5 LNB dish that I would need for their upcoming HD channels. So a few weeks ago, the guy comes and installs the 5LNB dish. Since then, I am experiencing sporatic pixelation and audio cut outs on the HD channels (non-HD channels are fine). It's not constant. I watched the Chiefs/Dolphins game the other night on ESPN HD with zero problems, but just now on SportsCenter it was pixelating pretty bad. I never had any problems with the 3LNB dish so I think the installer may not have aimed the dish correctly. Is there anything I can do without calling DirecTV (their phone menus make me madder than Greg Robinson's defenses)

morphius
08-18-2007, 08:18 AM
You may want to PM Skip, though I'm pretty sure he will catch this thread.

HonestChieffan
08-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Upgrades never are.

Phobia
08-18-2007, 08:19 AM
This post reads just like every other DirectTV HD thread I've seen. I've kinda learned to live with it, I guess.

ILChief
08-18-2007, 09:30 AM
another question: Which of the 5 satellites are the HD channels (ESPN, Discovery, TNT, etc) on? I don't have local HDs yet. I am checking my signal strength and don't know which sat. I should focus on.

thanks

Skip Towne
08-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Have you checked your signal quality? Go to menu, settings, setup, satellite, view signal strength. It does sound like an aiming issue although it could be trees, loose connections, etc. How long ago was it installed?

Skip Towne
08-18-2007, 09:36 AM
another question: Which of the 5 satellites are the HD channels (ESPN, Discovery, TNT, etc) on? I don't have local HDs yet. I am checking my signal strength and don't know which sat. I should focus on.

thanks
Right now the HD channels are on 110. They will be moved to 99 and 103 when the rollout is complete.

OnTheWarpath15
08-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Right now the HD channels are on 110. They will be moved to 99 and 103 when the rollout is complete.

Not to hijack, but since you're here, Skip......

So I'm flipping through the guide the other night, and Dirty Jobs is on Discovery...Channel 278. And the HD logo is in the box.

I'm thinking, cool, finally another channel in HD.

So I select it, and it's in the DTV regular "digital quality." No HD.

What gives?

Skip Towne
08-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Not to hijack, but since you're here, Skip......

So I'm flipping through the guide the other night, and Dirty Jobs is on Discovery...Channel 278. And the HD logo is in the box.

I'm thinking, cool, finally another channel in HD.

So I select it, and it's in the DTV regular "digital quality." No HD.

What gives?
I don't know. Sounds like somebody screwed the pooch. They rarely add just a single HD channel. There are supposed to be a whole lot of new HD channels coming in the next few months. They will come in groups, not just a channel here and there.

OnTheWarpath15
08-18-2007, 09:53 AM
I don't know. Sounds like somebody screwed the pooch. They rarely add just a single HD channel. There are supposed to be a whole lot of new HD channels coming in the next few months. They will come in groups, not just a channel here and there.

Kinda what I figured.

Thanks.

ILChief
08-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Have you checked your signal quality? Go to menu, settings, setup, satellite, view signal strength. It does sound like an aiming issue although it could be trees, loose connections, etc. How long ago was it installed?

probably 3 weeks ago but i've only noticed the problem for the last week - 2 weeks

Skip Towne
08-18-2007, 10:01 AM
probably 3 weeks ago but i've only noticed the problem for the last week - 2 weeks
The install is guaranteed for 90 days. Call Directv and let them know about your problem. They will come fix it free. I'd call soon so they can see it is probably an installation problem.

Deberg_1990
08-18-2007, 10:13 AM

When is that? 2025?

Honestly, im about to give Dish Network a phone call. They are having better deals right now. Sorry Skip

ILChief
08-18-2007, 10:16 AM
The install is guaranteed for 90 days. Call Directv and let them know about your problem. They will come fix it free. I'd call soon so they can see it is probably an installation problem.

OK thanks, I will call. Is there a number to call besides 1800DIRECTV where I don't get the horrible voice menus?

Also, here is my signal strength if that helps:

101 - mid 70s to mid 80s
110 - mid 80s
119 - mid 90s
99(b) - Zero
103(a) - 0 to 19

my 99 and 103 is extremely low to non-existent. Should that effect my current HD channels as sat 110 is in the mid 80s. Also, i seem to have more problems during the day than at night. is that normal?

Either way it looks like i need to get directv out here to fix the problem

thanks for your help

Skip Towne
08-18-2007, 10:18 AM
When is that? 2025?

Honestly, im about to give Dish Network a phone call. They are having better deals right now. Sorry Skip
They have a better deal than Direct's Sunday Ticket Deal? Huh-huh. Buh bye.

Deberg_1990
08-18-2007, 10:20 AM
They have a better deal than Direct's Sunday Ticket Deal? Huh-huh. Buh bye.

Only for new customers. Im already a Direct Tv customer. They have never offered me anything...

morphius
08-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Only for new customers. Im already a Direct Tv customer. They have never offered me anything...
Dish is coming out with a Star Jones channel?

Skip Towne
08-18-2007, 10:24 AM
You got something when you signed up, everybody does.

Deberg_1990
08-18-2007, 10:28 AM
You got something when you signed up, everybody does.

Honestly, ive been a loyal customer for 6 years. Im going to call them and tell them im switching to Dish and see if they will give me anything for free. Think this will work??

Skip Towne
08-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Honestly, ive been a loyal customer for 6 years. Im going to call them and tell them im switching to Dish and see if they will give me anything for free. Think this will work??
Sometimes it does. The higher up you can get the better your chances. Call 866 678 9471 and ask for customer retention.

ILChief
08-18-2007, 10:33 AM

Please don't hijack the thread.

Deberg_1990
08-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Sometimes it does. The higher up you can get the better your chances. Call 866 678 9471 and ask for customer retention.

Ok, ill try it. Thanks Skip....sorry for the thread hijack.

Skip Towne
08-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Ok, ill try it. Thanks Skip....sorry for the thread hijack.
Not a problem. Let us know how you came out.

Mojo Rising
08-18-2007, 10:38 AM

They have started to wise up to the "I'm cancelling...transfer me to retention" ploy.

I was able to get a $80 credit out of them by threatening to cancel the Sunday Ticket because it didn't include HD (Superfan.)

I told my brother so he called and asked to cancel, after a few seconds the Rep said, "OK. It is cancelled."

He called back to re-order the next day and they weren't going to give him the renewal discount. He had to argue with a supervisor to get the renewal rate.

Skip Towne
08-18-2007, 10:41 AM
They have started to wise up to the "I'm cancelling...transfer me to retention" ploy.

I was able to get a $80 credit out of them by threatening to cancel the Sunday Ticket because it didn't include HD (Superfan.)

I told my brother so he called and asked to cancel, after a few seconds the Rep said, "OK. It is cancelled."

He called back to re-order the next day and they weren't going to give him the renewal discount. He had to argue with a supervisor to get the renewal rate.
You're right, they are tightening up on the free stuff. Every swinging dick thinks he should get shit free on an ongoing basis. What other companies do this? Nobody ever gives me anything.

dtebbe
08-18-2007, 10:48 AM
None of those numbers look very good to me. I just installed my 5 lnb dish last weekend, and have:
101 - 95-99
119 - 90-95
110 - 82-89

I don't have the new receivers that get the 99 and 103 birds yet, so I don't know what those are. I did peak the dish on those, so they should be good.

The ESPN HD MPEG2 feed is on 110. I'm pretty sure though if you have the MPEG 4 receiver that you are getting the MPEG 4 feed, which is on the 99 and 103 birds, which you have no signal on, so I would suspect that is your problem. Those birds are higher frequency, and are MUCH less forgiving as far as dish aiming goes.

Did your installer intall your dish on a pole in the ground or on the arm on your house? If the arm is used you MUST use the braces to brace the arm, otherwise the first wind you get the dish is going to move. That 5 LNB dish is BIG and HEAVY compared to the old dish.

DT

OK thanks, I will call. Is there a number to call besides 1800DIRECTV where I don't get the horrible voice menus?

Also, here is my signal strength if that helps:

101 - mid 70s to mid 80s
110 - mid 80s
119 - mid 90s
99(b) - Zero
103(a) - 0 to 19

my 99 and 103 is extremely low to non-existent. Should that effect my current HD channels as sat 110 is in the mid 80s. Also, i seem to have more problems during the day than at night. is that normal?

Either way it looks like i need to get directv out here to fix the problem

thanks for your help

Deberg_1990
08-18-2007, 10:49 AM
You're right, they are tightening up on the free stuff. Every swinging dick thinks he should get shit free on an ongoing basis. What other companies do this? Nobody ever gives me anything.

Well Skip, If they dont upgrade my equipment to HD, I really will quit. There is no point in me keeping Direct TV if they dont offer the same deal as a competitor.

Its basically the same thing as price matching as most competitors do this.

ILChief
08-18-2007, 10:58 AM
None of those numbers look very good to me. I just installed my 5 lnb dish last weekend, and have:
101 - 95-99
119 - 90-95
110 - 82-89

I don't have the new receivers that get the 99 and 103 birds yet, so I don't know what those are. I did peak the dish on those, so they should be good.

The ESPN HD MPEG2 feed is on 110. I'm pretty sure though if you have the MPEG 4 receiver that you are getting the MPEG 4 feed, which is on the 99 and 103 birds, which you have no signal on, so I would suspect that is your problem. Those birds are higher frequency, and are MUCH less forgiving as far as dish aiming goes.

Did your installer intall your dish on a pole in the ground or on the arm on your house? If the arm is used you MUST use the braces to brace the arm, otherwise the first wind you get the dish is going to move. That 5 LNB dish is BIG and HEAVY compared to the old dish.

DT

The 3LNB was on a post in the ground, he used the same post. I have the HD DVR so I think I'm getting the MPEG4 feed. I suspect a big oak tree is my problem but the installer didn't say anything about it. Is it true that when the leaves start falling that the signal improves?

Skip Towne
08-18-2007, 11:28 AM
The 3LNB was on a post in the ground, he used the same post. I have the HD DVR so I think I'm getting the MPEG4 feed. I suspect a big oak tree is my problem but the installer didn't say anything about it. Is it true that when the leaves start falling that the signal improves?
Yes, when the leaves fall off the signal will improve. If the tree was blocking the signal that is.

dtebbe
08-18-2007, 03:22 PM

I really doubt that leaves are the problem, since your 101 signal is decent and 99 and 103 is bad. I suspect he didn't peak the dish on the 99/103 like he was supposed to. There really is not much margin for error at all on those two birds.

DT