PDA

View Full Version : Lynch Says Code of Ethics broken...

HonestChieffan
08-19-2007, 09:23 AM
This is rich.....

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_6660972

Irving, Texas - Those Dallas Cowboys must be real proud.

Here it is mid-August, preseason game No. 2, yet the Cowboys played as if it's never too early to embarrass an injury-riddled opponent in a game that doesn't count.

The Cowboys had their way here Saturday night at muggy Texas Stadium, whipping the Broncos, their weeklong practice buddies, 31-20. Although an honest beating explained much of the outcome, the Broncos wondered if Cowboys coach Wade Phillips got a little carried away with trying to send some sort of preseason statement.

"I don't know if Wade's (ticked) off the Broncos fired him, but it sure looked that way," Broncos safety John Lynch said.

Lynch wanted to make it clear he was joking. But as a safety entering his 15th season, Lynch is qualified to know football's unwritten rules better than most. The Broncos played their base, seven-man front on defense Saturday and, because their offensive line is so banged up, tried to employ a conservative plan when they had the ball.

"That's not what they did," Lynch said. "They came out and game- planned us, blitzing every play. They came after us. It's no excuse for the way we played. But I think they might have broken the code of ethics for the preseason."

A few other Broncos, including quarterback Jay Cutler, shared similar feelings about the Cowboys getting a little too aggressive with their approach to a preseason game. Phillips seemed befuddled, even a little hurt, at the accusations he coached against the preseason protocol of fairness.

"It's nothing we didn't do all week in practice," said Phillips, who was fired after two seasons as Broncos head coach following the 1994 season, and replaced by Mike Shanahan.

Indeed, a primary reason the Broncos came down for two-a-day practices before the preseason game was to get accustomed to the 3-4 defense Phillips directed for the AFC West champion San Diego Chargers last year.

And just so there is no misunderstanding, the blitz is to the 3-4 defense what short passes are to the West Coast offense.

"It's what we ran against them in San Diego," Phillips said. "They blitzed us, too. We picked it up."

It could have been worse for Phillips. He got hurt only by words. Shanahan's team continues to get beat up physically. Running back Travis Henry and defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban had to be carried off the field Saturday.

Ekuban, who was about to start his third year in Denver, tore his right Achilles, an injury that will finish his season. Henry, the Broncos' biggest offseason prize, suffered what has been diagnosed as a first-degree sprain in the medial collateral ligament in his left knee. He will undergo an MRI today; if the first-degree sprain is confirmed, Henry should return before the regular season opener Sept. 9 at Buffalo.

Those injuries came after a practice week in which rookie defensive end Tim Crowder (sprained left ankle) and right tackle Adam Meadows (calf strain) suffered serious injuries.

The Broncos are closer to broken than battered. And the regular season is three weeks away.

It was the injury to Meadows, combined with physical setbacks to left guard Ben Hamilton (concussion), left tackle Ryan Harris (back surgery) and right tackle Jacob Rogers (knee), that left the Broncos' offensive line decimated for this game against the attacking Cowboys defense.

The Broncos' O-line situation was so desperate, Erik Pears had to play the entire first half at right tackle, then began the second half playing left guard for the second-team offense. Chad Mustard, a tight end when the week began, played right tackle in the second half Saturday.

The Cowboys showed no mercy. They harassed Jay Cutler on nearly every play, and the second-year quarterback endured some tough lessons.

"They did blitz a lot but that's not an excuse," Broncos center Tom Nalen said. "After the first series, we should have been prepared for it. We'll have to watch the film and learn from it."

With the first team playing so poorly on both sides of the ball - the Cowboys led 24-6 at halftime - Shanahan had his starters play the entire first half, or at least a half-quarter more than planned.

"We're not there yet, we've got a long ways to go," Shanahan said. "One of the reasons our defensive starters stayed out there through the first half is because I felt we needed that cohesiveness. Hopefully, it'll come to us pretty quickly."
Broncos by the numbers

6 Scores (four touchdowns, two field goals) by the opposing offense through the first nine preseason series against the Broncos' first-string defense.

1, 1 Sack by rookie Jarvis Moss and interception by veteran Dré Bly, the first in a Broncos uniform for both.

22, 5 Number of plays run by the Cowboys and the Broncos, with 2:28 left in the first quarter.

90 Yards in touchdown pass thrown by Broncos quarterback Patrick Ramsey to wide receiver Brian Clark, the third-longest scoring play in team preseason history.

5 Times the Cowboys faced a third-and-5 situation or longer and converted against Denver's top defense.

Mile High Mania
08-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Multiple "they're cry babies" postings in ... 3-2-1...

StcChief
08-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Cut blocks to the rescue in PS game 3

stevieray
cowboys are to blame for shoddy invesco play...

shocking...

the Talking Can

get that man a Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulence!

but seriously, what a crybaby

stevieray
08-19-2007, 09:28 AM

so friggin what? it's a Chiefs board...stop your blubbering... :shake:

Bowser
08-19-2007, 09:28 AM
That's some serious butt hurtin', sandy vagina boo-hooin' going on over there. I love it.

Mile High Mania
08-19-2007, 09:30 AM
so friggin what? it's a Chiefs board...stop your blubbering... :shake:

C'mon dude... I know where I'm at, just having fun. I read the article this morning and thought "Quit whining, you guys sucked in the game". I was surprised it took this long to be posted here.

HonestChieffan
08-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Lynch...Ethics

Lynch..Ethics

Help me here....Im confused.

Rasputin
08-19-2007, 09:33 AM
A quote from Coach Herman Edwards:

"YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME"

HypnotizedMonkey
08-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Nothing more beautiful than a crying Donkey.

percysnow
08-19-2007, 09:48 AM
get that man a Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulence!

but seriously, what a crybaby

lol

ROYC75
08-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Ha Ha ....

blueballs
08-19-2007, 09:56 AM
wait till they find the rape stand
from Cutlers cock fighting ring

Adept Havelock
08-19-2007, 09:56 AM
"It's what we ran against them in San Diego," Phillips said. "They blitzed us, too. We picked it up."

ROFL

BigRock
08-19-2007, 09:59 AM
This seems like the kind of thing fans look back at around December, going "you know, we really should have seen this coming".

ROYC75
08-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Now that is GOLD right there....... ROFL

HonestChieffan
08-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Its all part of Shannys rebuilding plan

Rain Man
08-19-2007, 10:12 AM
The funniest part of this is the Broncos getting humiliated, but the second-funniest part is Wade Phillips actually thinking he's able to coach in this league.

YOU'RE HERE BECAUSE YOUR FATHER GAVE YOU A JOB! NOTHING ELSE! (except maybe the tendency of the NFL to recycle bad coaches over and over and over).

Skip Towne
08-19-2007, 10:20 AM
The funniest part of this is the Broncos getting humiliated, but the second-funniest part is Wade Phillips actually thinking he's able to coach in this league.

YOU'RE HERE BECAUSE YOUR FATHER GAVE YOU A JOB! NOTHING ELSE! (except maybe the tendency of the NFL to recycle bad coaches over and over and over).
Third funniest is that he coaches the Cowboys.

HonestChieffan
08-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Dont get carried away...we have Herm.

Coogs
08-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Gun did the same thing his first home game (second preseason game) back as DC after GRob against the Rams. Blitzed the hell out of the Rams. Ticked of Martz. Our defense looked great. Then we sucked during the regular season.

HypnotizedMonkey
08-19-2007, 10:27 AM
wait till they find the rape stand
from Cutlers cock fighting ring

you deserve US currency for that joke!

penchief
08-19-2007, 10:31 AM

I'm not sure about that. I'm not a Wade Phillips advocate by any stretch of the imagination but it seems like everywhere he's been he's always coached a damn good defense. So while he may not be head coaching material he's proven he's a good enough coach to coach in this league, IMO.

blueballs
08-19-2007, 10:35 AM
FYI
NFL Network replay of this game
4pm today CMT

Rain Man
08-19-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm not sure about that. I'm not a Wade Phillips advocate by any stretch of the imagination but it seems like everywhere he's been he's always coached a damn good defense. So while he may not be head coaching material he's proven he's a good enough coach to coach in this league, IMO.

Yeah, but do you think he would be a coach in this league if his name was Wade Wocjojoiwicz and his dad was a plumber in in Elmira, New York? At some point, he knocked some deserving guy out of a job merely because his dad ran interference for him.

The odds of a guy becoming a coach in this league without connections are getting smaller and smaller each day as the league becomes more inbred by nepotism. Bryan Schottenheimer, Wade Phillips, Jim Mora, Jr., even our own David Gibbs, and others as well. It frustrates me because we as fans don't get to see the best product because these rich people are using their influence to make their kids coaches, and I think the odds are zero that these people would've risen to the top in a pure merit-based system.

jAZ
08-19-2007, 10:45 AM
I don't know whether it's a "code of ethics", but if he's not wrong in describing their play... it's certainly a meaningful factor in the outcome of the game.

donkhater
08-19-2007, 10:58 AM
If you are a blitzing team and use that frequently as part of your week to week game plan, then you have to practice it in the preseason to get responsibilites and timing down.

That the Broncos didn't pick it up shouldn't necessarily concern their fans (other than the injuries they incurred), but they shouldn't whine about it either. Teams can prepare however the hell they want.

teedubya
08-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Man, you know, I don't hate the Cowboys as much as I used to.

penchief
08-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Yeah, but do you think he would be a coach in this league if his name was Wade Wocjojoiwicz and his dad was a plumber in in Elmira, New York? At some point, he knocked some deserving guy out of a job merely because his dad ran interference for him.

The odds of a guy becoming a coach in this league without connections are getting smaller and smaller each day as the league becomes more inbred by nepotism. Bryan Schottenheimer, Wade Phillips, Jim Mora, Jr., even our own David Gibbs, and others as well. It frustrates me because we as fans don't get to see the best product because these rich people are using their influence to make their kids coaches, and I think the odds are zero that these people would've risen to the top in a pure merit-based system.

But it's also possible that a father's love of coaching rubs off on his son. Just because LJ's dad was a defensive line coach at Penn State doesn't mean that LJ got an opportunity he didn't deserve. His performance has proven that he deserved that opportunity.

I'd have to say the same goes for Phillips. If he didn't deserve the opportunity in the first place, it's hard to imagine that he'd still be coaching. I'm not saying nepotism doesn't exist. Only that it isn't true in every case. Especially a case in which a coach has been successful from the start and has clearly proven he deserves to be a coach in this league.

Just because someone has a famous coaching father doesn't always mean that they aren't talented enough to deserve their own opportunity. If anything is an advantage, their love of and knowledge of football was developed at an early age. They may have been on the fast track because they knew early on what they wanted to do and were able to have the inside track but nobody is going to succeed in this league as a coach if they don't deserve it.

By the way, a lot of famous people come from Elmira, NY.

KcMizzou
08-19-2007, 11:00 AM
If the shoe fits...

Rain Man
08-19-2007, 04:21 PM
But it's also possible that a father's love of coaching rubs off on his son. Just because LJ's dad was a defensive line coach at Penn State doesn't mean that LJ got an opportunity he didn't deserve. His performance has proven that he deserved that opportunity.

I'd have to say the same goes for Phillips. If he didn't deserve the opportunity in the first place, it's hard to imagine that he'd still be coaching. I'm not saying nepotism doesn't exist. Only that it isn't true in every case. Especially a case in which a coach has been successful from the start and has clearly proven he deserves to be a coach in this league.

Just because someone has a famous coaching father doesn't always mean that they aren't talented enough to deserve their own opportunity. If anything is an advantage, their love of and knowledge of football was developed at an early age. They may have been on the fast track because they knew early on what they wanted to do and were able to have the inside track but nobody is going to succeed in this league as a coach if they don't deserve it.

By the way, a lot of famous people come from Elmira, NY.

I understand your point, and there's a validity to it. But I guess my point is that, regardless of his love for the game and his advantages of having exposure to pro football at an early age, his family connections let him become an NFL coach at the age of 29. He then had ten years of working for his father with no risk of being fired to learn the trade. By then he had already entered the wonderful black book of retread coaches who get hired because they "have experience", rather than because of their skills. He got to bypass the whole long and difficult process of gaining access and then keeping it. I have a hard time believing that, out of the 200,000 coaches available to Bum Phillips, it just so happened that his son was the most qualified.

And yeah, I recognize that Wade actually has a career record above .500, so I propose switching the topic to Kurt Schottenheimer so as to make my argument easier.

StcChief
08-19-2007, 04:24 PM

If the shoe fits...

No it's if the FOO SH1TS.

Skip Towne
08-19-2007, 04:41 PM
I understand your point, and there's a validity to it. But I guess my point is that, regardless of his love for the game and his advantages of having exposure to pro football at an early age, his family connections let him become an NFL coach at the age of 29. He then had ten years of working for his father with no risk of being fired to learn the trade. By then he had already entered the wonderful black book of retread coaches who get hired because they "have experience", rather than because of their skills. He got to bypass the whole long and difficult process of gaining access and then keeping it. I have a hard time believing that, out of the 200,000 coaches available to Bum Phillips, it just so happened that his son was the most qualified.

And yeah, I recognize that Wade actually has a career record above .500, so I propose switching the topic to Kurt Schottenheimer so as to make my argument easier.It pisses me off that Archie got Peyton that cushy job with the Colts.

morphius
08-19-2007, 04:48 PM
So a team is playing a 3-4 and they expected them to only rush 3 on every play? LMAO!!!

No wonder they went down there early to try and figure out the 3-4, sadly for them they didn't seem to grasp it.

Bob Dole
08-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Man, you know, I don't hate the Cowboys as much as I used to.

You're not living in Texas, surrounded by their idiot fans.

Red Dawg
08-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Code of ethics are words that should never come out of that dirty helmet spearing bastards mouth.

Lynch the bitch!

KCTitus
08-19-2007, 05:04 PM
I realize that KC's going to probably go from a Circus offense to one of the worst in the league this year, but I have to thank GOD that none of our players would ever get butt hurt after a preseason loss like this.

That's just flat embarrassing.

dtebbe
08-19-2007, 05:39 PM
It's funny to hear anyone on a team whos offensive line appears to be trying to extenguish flames on most plays to talk about a code of ethics.

DT

KCinNY
08-19-2007, 06:27 PM

Anybody remember David Shula? Unmitigated disaster as a NFL HC.

Hammock Parties
08-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Lynch is a bitch. What else is new?

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8287/replay2lhil6.gif (http://imageshack.us)

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/5917/lynchisabeechjd9.gif (http://imageshack.us)

KcMizzou
08-19-2007, 06:33 PM
No it's if the FOO SH1TS.tommykat?

HypnotizedMonkey
08-19-2007, 06:39 PM
You're not living in Texas, surrounded by their idiot fans.

i pretty much agree with that lol .... although most of them will shut up now when you talk back to them because they are losers too. :)

Iowanian
08-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Maybe the Cowboys should have employed some behind the play dives at the knees/ankles of Offensive linemen, covered their Jerseys in Crisco, lead with the helmet(Lynch).....and cheated on the Salary cap.....

Logical
08-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Dont get carried away...we have Herm.

It is like the Gods are punishing Chiefs fans for some sin committed by Lamar years ago.