PDA

View Full Version : Holmes doesn’t practice with Chiefs - Star

C-Mac
08-20-2007, 06:53 AM
Holmes doesn’t practice with Chiefs
By JASON KING
The Kansas City Star

Holmes One day after announcing he was returning to the Chiefs’ practice field, Priest Holmes never even put on a helmet.

Instead, the team’s all-time leading rusher worked out alone Sunday, running short routes and sprints while his teammates squared off nearby.

Why didn’t Holmes practice?

Depends on who you ask.

Holmes said his return was delayed because Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson was out of town. He said team physician Jon Browne wanted to make sure everyone was “on the same page” before clearing the way for Holmes’ return.

Chiefs coach Herm Edwards told a different story. He said doctors gave Holmes the OK and cleared him to participate in contact drills. Edwards, though, said he had a long talk with Holmes prior to Sunday’s workout, and Holmes hinted that he wasn’t in good enough physical condition to return.

At that point, Edwards said it became a “collective decision” to leave Holmes on the physically unable to perform list.

“He’s not ready,” Edwards said. “In his mind and our mind, we just felt that … he’s not 100 percent. He’s been laid off for a long time.”

Twenty-two months, to be exact. Holmes hasn’t played — or practiced — since injuring his neck in an October 2005 game against San Diego.

Claiming he had a dream in which he envisioned himself playing football again, Holmes showed up three weeks ago at Chiefs training camp in River Falls, Wis., confident in his chances of earning a roster spot and vowing to become a leader on a team full of young faces.

Considering he’s not working out with his teammates, Holmes hasn’t had many opportunities to be a vocal presence. He also didn’t help his cause when he skipped Thursday’s preseason game against Miami to return to his native San Antonio.

Holmes said Sunday that the Chiefs gave him permission to leave.

“Everything we do here with the Chiefs is excused,” he said.

Edwards, however, said he didn’t know Holmes had left town.

“I didn’t anticipate he was going home,” Edwards said. “I thought he was coming to the game. He went home to see his family. I told him when he came back to just tell me (next time) so I know where you’re at.”

Asked Sunday if he felt like a part of the team, Holmes said: “Absolutely. The last time I checked, I’m still on the roster. So I guess that means I’m a part of the team.

“The biggest thing was the last three weeks, as far as me getting out of bed and coming to camp every day and not missing any of those days. I made all my workouts. I made all my running workouts. There was not a day missed.”

Still, to truly feel like one of the guys, Holmes will eventually have to participate in practice and games. Although there’s virtually no chance of him playing in Thursday’s preseason game against New Orleans, Edwards said Holmes is still a candidate to play against the Rams on Aug. 30 in St. Louis.

If Holmes is activated, he’ll count against the Chiefs’ roster limit, and they must make a decision by the start of the regular season whether to keep Holmes or release him.

There’s also the possibility that Holmes, if the Chiefs don’t cut him, could start the season on the physically unable to perform list. In that scenario, Holmes would have to sit out at least the first six regular-season games.

“I told him today that I’m not going to rush him,” Edwards said. “I said, ‘Take your time.’ We don’t want to be put in a situation where we take him off the PUP list and he starts practicing, but then two days from now he says he’s not ready yet. That’s OK for him, but it’s not OK for our football team.”

Kylo Ren
08-20-2007, 07:00 AM
As the world turns..........

Bob Dole
08-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Isn't the rule that he CAN'T practice with the team if he's on the PUP list?

KC-TBB
08-20-2007, 07:19 AM
this sucks...where is LJ?

Kylo Ren
08-20-2007, 07:24 AM
I'm a big PH fan. But, I'm really sick of this whole soap opera. He needs to put the pads on a play or go away. I was hoping that he was really trying to come back. But, it's apparent that he's just trying to scam everyone. It really disappoints me about him.

crazycoffey
08-20-2007, 07:33 AM
I'm a big PH fan. But, I'm really sick of this whole soap opera. He needs to put the pads on a play or go away. I was hoping that he was really trying to come back. But, it's apparent that he's just trying to scam everyone. It really disappoints me about him.

I agree, I'm a fan of his too and hopeful that he can overcome the odds and make believers of the dis-believing, but damn it, time for a lot less talk and a lot more action.

Priest4Prez
08-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Chances are that he doesn't play in a game until, at the earliest, week 6.

Sounds to me like Herm doesn't want him to put on the pads because PH is Dicks boy. Is it possible that Herm is waiting for LJ to sign? That is my best guess

morphius
08-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Yup, you can't practice until you are off the PUP. Which also means that we would have had to cut someone to activate him. Plus I wouldn't be shocked if the Chiefs plan is to keep him on the PUP into the season and then decide then what to do with him.

Priest4Prez
08-20-2007, 07:50 AM
Yup, you can't practice until you are off the PUP. Which also means that we would have had to cut someone to activate him. Plus I wouldn't be shocked if the Chiefs plan is to keep him on the PUP into the season and then decide then what to do with him.
That't what carl said on espn.

Simply Red
08-20-2007, 07:54 AM
:ZZZ:

StcChief
08-20-2007, 07:54 AM
22 Months of not staying in shape does that.
Nacho man better be ready for PUP. List.

Priest4Prez
08-20-2007, 08:02 AM
:ZZZ:
I know....

Chief Chief
08-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Well if it's good enough for him then CP needs to issue contracts to all of us fans and place us on the PUP list so we can continue to afford season tickets and parking fees.

Radar Chief
08-20-2007, 08:07 AM

You mean Priest is playing by the rules and the Star is trying to manufacture a controversy? Nah, not possible. :harumph:

Kylo Ren
08-20-2007, 08:12 AM
Is there any way to get PH some playing time and then trade him? Does he have ANY value at all? Will some team give us a 5th, 6th, or even a 7th? I'd be OK with that.

morphius
08-20-2007, 08:25 AM
You mean Priest is playing by the rules and the Star is trying to manufacture a controversy? Nah, not possible. :harumph:
Of course after listening to the local media for a while now, they could easily claim ignorance on the rules without shocking anyone.

morphius
08-20-2007, 08:26 AM
Is there any way to get PH some playing time and then trade him? Does he have ANY value at all? Will some team give us a 5th, 6th, or even a 7th? I'd be OK with that.
He isn't worth anything if he isn't 100%, especially being older.

Micjones
08-20-2007, 09:43 AM
I'm a fan of Priest Holmes, but this is beginning to become another unnecessary distraction.

Strap it on and get out there or go away...quietly.

Mr. Laz
08-20-2007, 10:02 AM

“Everything we do here with the Chiefs is excused,” he said.

“I didn’t anticipate he was going home,” Edwards said. “I thought he was coming to the game. He went home to see his family. I told him when he came back to just tell me (next time) so I know where you’re at.”
this part is more of an issue imo

of course this is just the media causing problems.

morphius
08-20-2007, 10:31 AM
this part is more of an issue imo

of course this is just the media causing problems.
Because Priest wasn't polite enough to ask the the Head Coach after the President of the Organization gave him an okay? Heck, maybe he went to Herms office and he wasn't there, so he went and asked Carl, and then rushed off to get to the earliest flight out instead of waiting for both guys approvals.

Oh the humanity, how will the Chiefs ever overcome with such horrible atrocities occurring in the club house.

Mr. Laz
08-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Because Priest wasn't polite enough to ask the the Head Coach after the President of the Organization gave him an okay? Heck, maybe he went to Herms office and he wasn't there, so he went and asked Carl, and then rushed off to get to the earliest flight out instead of waiting for both guys approvals.

Oh the humanity, how will the Chiefs ever overcome with such horrible atrocities occurring in the club house.
if you left work and didn't get permission you would get fired.

it's called respect ..... it's called being part of the team.

you're so bias you can't even see straight

if Terrell Owens JUST LEFT ....... you'd have to break out the heavy duty tampons.

Radar Chief
08-20-2007, 12:32 PM
He did get “permission” from the plant manager, i.e. "Damn-it" Carl.
Sure, it would’ve been better to inform his supervisor also, but if he’s in a hurry to catch a flight his supervisor would probably understand.

morphius
08-20-2007, 12:32 PM
if you left work and didn't get permission you would get fired.

it's called respect ..... it's called being part of the team.

you're so bias you can't even see straight

if Terrell Owens JUST LEFT ....... you'd have to break out the heavy duty tampons.
Where did I say he just left?

You are so busy trying to be angry that... oh you get the idea.

Hydrae
08-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Asked Sunday if he felt like a part of the team, Holmes said: “Absolutely. The last time I checked, I’m still on the roster. So I guess that means I’m a part of the team.

“The biggest thing was the last three weeks, as far as me getting out of bed and coming to camp every day and not missing any of those days. I made all my workouts. I made all my running workouts. There was not a day missed.”

I am another of those who had dreams of Priest playing again and filling a Marcus Allen kind of position for us. But this quote just boggles my mind. He says he is here to provide leadership but for such a smart guy he just does not get it.

Being a leader is more than just showing up. It is supporting guys during games, it is being vocal and providing direction to the young guys who have not "been there, done that" yet. Just being a presence in the background is not being a leader.

I hate to say it but add me to the list of people wanting Priest to do his business or get off the pot.

OnTheWarpath15
08-20-2007, 02:12 PM
I am another of those who had dreams of Priest playing again and filling a Marcus Allen kind of position for us. But this quote just boggles my mind. He says he is here to provide leadership but for such a smart guy he just does not get it.

Being a leader is more than just showing up. It is supporting guys during games, it is being vocal and providing direction to the young guys who have not "been there, done that" yet. Just being a presence in the background is not being a leader.

I hate to say it but add me to the list of people wanting Priest to do his business or get off the pot.

:clap: :clap:

Mr. Laz
08-20-2007, 03:33 PM
Where did I say he just left?

You are so busy trying to be angry that... oh you get the idea.
you didn't say he left ....... HE DID JUST LEAVE.

Priest holmes just LEFT and evidently you don't have a problem with it.

morphius
08-20-2007, 03:36 PM
you didn't say he left ....... HE DID JUST LEAVE.

Priest holmes just LEFT and evidently you don't have a problem with it.

Sounds like he talked to someone to me...

Mr. Laz
08-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Sounds like he talked to someone to me...

if the head coach doesn't know ...... he just left.

morphius
08-20-2007, 03:45 PM
if the head coach doesn't know ...... he just left.
Unless he asked the HC Boss...

Mr. Laz
08-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Unless he asked the HC Boss...
wow

Logical
08-20-2007, 04:25 PM

I am not so sure, I don't trust Carl and this sounds like something he is orchestrating to build his own case. I would bet on Herm supporting Carl not Priest and the whole Herm never seems to know what is going on and is constantly changing his stories fits that scenario.

Logical
08-20-2007, 04:28 PM

I think if you go back to the original interview, Holmes was very direct in stating he would provide leadership through his play not vocally. Priest has never been a vocal leader but always led by example on the field, not off of it.

Mr. Laz
08-20-2007, 04:34 PM
I think if you go back to the original interview, Holmes was very direct in stating he would provide leadership through his play not vocally. Priest has never been a vocal leader but always led by example on the field, not off of it.
so does the action of not being on a the sideline during a game and leaving without telling your head coach indicate leadership in you opinion?

Logical
08-20-2007, 07:55 PM
so does the action of not being on a the sideline during a game and leaving without telling your head coach indicate leadership in you opinion?

I really don't care, and I believe Priest when he said the team provided permission. Are you shocked that a Carl run organization lacks communication?

Eleazar
08-20-2007, 08:00 PM
He did get “permission” from the plant manager, i.e. "Damn-it" Carl.
Sure, it would’ve been better to inform his supervisor also, but if he’s in a hurry to catch a flight his supervisor would probably understand.

Yeah... don't see the atrocity so much.

Don't know why he's the only one held to having to provide some Churchill-level standard of 'leadership'. If he's not fit to practice he isn't hurting us by being gone. If he's not distracting others, then so what? He's PUP anyway.

stevieray
08-20-2007, 08:09 PM

his only job is to get in to football shape after returning from injury..but apparently if he's not holding other grown men's hands, he becomes deadbeat dad....

Logical
08-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Evidently sitting in a heated luxury box eating nachos makes you a bad teammate for life.

morphius
08-20-2007, 08:40 PM
You act so shocked that Priest isn't a vocal leader, have you paid any attention to him since he got here? He is just a guy who works his butt off, he considers that to be a leader, I don't completely agree, but everyone should have known this long ago.