PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between a Presbyterian and a Methodist?

Skip Towne
08-20-2007, 08:33 PM
I was raised a Presbyterian but my girlfriend was a Methodist. We went to both churches and I didn't see much difference.

Donger
08-20-2007, 08:34 PM
I pity your girlfriend.

Demonpenz
08-20-2007, 08:39 PM
the difference? Heaven and hell

Skip Towne
08-20-2007, 08:46 PM
I pity your girlfriend.
Looking to argue are you? Why do you come on this board? You know nothing about football and never post in the football threads. Isn't there a board rule about that? It seems llike it was invoked recently against mememe.

Rain Man
08-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Presbyterians believe that Martin Luther used his left hand to hold the hammer when he nailed the 95 Theses to the door, and Methodists believe he used his right hand. They now each believe the other is going to hell for being wrong.

jjchieffan
08-20-2007, 08:50 PM
I don't know alot about the two religions, but I believe one difference is that the presbyterians believe once saved always saved, the methodists, however believe that it is possible to lose your salvation

Skip Towne
08-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Presbyterians believe the Martin Luther used his left hand to hold the hammer when he nailed the 95 Theses to the door, and Methodists believe he used his right hand. They now each believe the other is going to hell for being wrong.
Well how do you get in the middle of that so you can be sure to be saved?

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-20-2007, 08:54 PM
I think the Catholics have the corner on salvation.

Donger
08-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Looking to argue are you? Why do you come on this board? You know nothing about football and never post in the football threads. Isn't there a board rule about that? It seems llike it was invoked recently against mememe.

As usual, you are inaccurate. I post on football threads frequently and I'm continuing to learn about football daily. I enjoy the culture here and enjoy the people, even you.

And last night, I learned that Tulsa has a seaport.

Which was fun.

Tell us about your girlfriend. What kind of person is she?

Skip Towne
08-20-2007, 08:58 PM
I think the Catholics have the corner on salvation.
I didn't know that. You got an email addy for them?

Donger
08-20-2007, 08:59 PM

seaport@cathol.org

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-20-2007, 09:00 PM
catholicsarethechosenones@godsrighthand.com

jjchieffan
08-20-2007, 09:01 PM
I believe ther is one way to find salvation, and that is layed out in a few scriptures, commonly referres to as the roman road to salvation. Here is a link that will help
http://www.allaboutgod.com/roman-road-to-salvation.htm

Simplex3
08-20-2007, 09:04 PM
I don't know alot about the two religions, but I believe one difference is that the presbyterians believe once saved always saved, the methodists, however believe that it is possible to lose your salvation
I was raised and confirmed United Methodist. Basically the only rule was that you couldn't drink beer in the sanctuary until after the service was over and the TV was rolled in to show the Chiefs game.

:shrug:

Skip Towne
08-20-2007, 09:07 PM
As usual, you are inaccurate. I post on football threads frequently and I'm continuing to learn about football daily. I enjoy the culture here and enjoy the people, even you.

And last night, I learned that Tulsa has a seaport.

Which was fun.

Tell us about your girlfriend. What kind of person is she?
You are a little prick who constantly looks for an argument. Much like you are doing now. I'm not the first to say this. And I have yet to see you in any football thread. Luv knows more about football than you do. But she tries to learn about it while you do nothing but argue....even about things that don't remotely concern you. Why do you come to this site if not to argue? It certainly isn't for football knowledge or you would have some by now.

Donger
08-20-2007, 09:08 PM

I couldn't help but notice that you ran away from this thread, Skip: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=168061&page=3

Why is that?

Especially when you said: "And you are just a little prick who likes to argue. Sorry, I won't play. I pity your wife."

For once, prove that your bite is indeed as bad as your bark.

Donger
08-20-2007, 09:12 PM
You are a little prick who constantly looks for an argument. Much like you are doing now. I'm not the first to say this. And I have yet to see you in any football thread. Luv knows more about football than you do. But she tries to learn about it while you do nothing but argue....even about things that don't remotely concern you. Why do you come to this site if not to argue? It certainly isn't for football knowledge or you would have some by now.

I'm continuing a discussion that you chose to pursue, and then left in a huff when you were proven wrong.

As to me not posting in football threads, again, you are wrong. Look it up if you are so concerned.

Anyway, do tell about your girlfriend. I'm actually pleased that you found someone.

RJ
Q: Why do you always take two Baptists fishing?

A: Because if you take only one he'll drink all your beer.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled cat fight.

Simplex3

Rain Man
08-20-2007, 09:13 PM

In the middle? That would be the Unitarians, because they believe that Martin Luther used his ... well, look at the name.

jjchieffan
08-20-2007, 09:13 PM
just ignore him skip. You started this thread to answer an important question, but by aguing with him, the thread is taking on a totally different direction. Do what you want though. It's your topic.

Rain Man
08-20-2007, 09:14 PM
I was raised Baptist. The difference between us and other religions is that they don't handle as many snakes in church.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-20-2007, 09:18 PM
We now return you to your regularly scheduled cat fight.
LMAO

I'd like to see Skip and Iowanian get down. The bloodshed would be legendary.

cdcox
08-20-2007, 09:19 PM
I was raised Baptist. The difference between us and other religions is that they don't handle as many snakes in church.

According to one of the guys who used to go to my church (Lutheran):

"There are only three kinds of Christians. You've got your Lutherans, you've got your Catholics, and then you've got your snake handlers."

Skip Towne
08-20-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm continuing a discussion that you chose to pursue, and then left in a huff when you were proven wrong.

As to me not posting in football threads, again, you are wrong. Look it up if you are so concerned.

Anyway, do tell about your girlfriend. I'm actually pleased that you found someone.
GFY you little prick.

Donger
08-20-2007, 09:24 PM
GFY you little prick.

So hostile. Anyway, I really am glad that you found someone. She must be a special gal.

Skip Towne
08-20-2007, 09:28 PM
just ignore him skip. You started this thread to answer an important question, but by aguing with him, the thread is taking on a totally different direction. Do what you want though. It's your topic.
I agree. He is an argumentative little prick who knows nothing about football. He just comes on here to argue. There is a rule about that on this board. Donger never contribues anything relating to football. He doesn't know jack shit about it. The ignorant little dipshit should be banned.

Rain Man
08-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Stop arguing, people. Can't you see that's it scaring the Palestinians?

Phobia
08-20-2007, 09:31 PM
I don't know the difference between the religions and I don't know the difference between one prick who does nothing but argue and another prick who does nothing but argue.

boogblaster
08-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Skip Im not real sure but I think one eats meat the other just lays in their mouth ...

Frazod
08-20-2007, 09:34 PM
I agree. He is an argumentative little prick who knows nothing about football. He just comes on here to argue. There is a rule about that on this board. Donger never contribues anything relating to football. He doesn't know jack shit about it. The ignorant little dipshit should be banned.

You want him banned because he continually exposes you as a fraud, a loser, and an idiot. It's okay when you bully and attack people, but when somebody that you can't hang with on an intellectual level does it to you, you run screaming like a little bitch.

Pussy.

And BTW, Donger, all the girlfried stuff was mentioned in the past tense. I'm sure Skip continues to be bitter and alone.

Rain Man
08-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Wait a minute. Is this whole thread a carefully planned and executed satire of the tendency of organized religions to fight amongst themselves, losing track of the big picture and the commonalities between them and their greater love toward a Supreme Body, be it God or the Chiefs?

Very clever. I applaud you both.

Donger
08-20-2007, 09:35 PM

I fully admit that I know relatively little about football, but I'm learning. That's one of the things that I like about ChiefsPlanet. Since I didn't grow up in the States, I really didn't have much opportunity to learn. Just like you being taught by me that Tulsa really isn't a seaport, I've learned the difference between a free safety and a strong safety, right here. It's great.

Tell you what: I don't think that you should be banned. You think I should. Start a thread about it. If the results come back that I should be banned, I will leave and never return.

Will you do that?

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Hold on guys... I gotta get some popcorn.

siberian khatru
08-20-2007, 09:39 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/29czSGSPE7k"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/29czSGSPE7k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Simplex3
08-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Stop arguing, people. Can't you see that's it scaring the Palestinians?
Mememe hasn't posted in this thread has she?

morphius
08-20-2007, 09:47 PM
I don't know the difference between the religions and I don't know the difference between one prick who does nothing but argue and another prick who does nothing but argue.
I was wondering when someone was going to catch that, LOL!

Skip Towne
08-20-2007, 09:49 PM
I fully admit that I know relatively little about football, but I'm learning. That's one of the things that I like about ChiefsPlanet. Since I didn't grow up in the States, I really didn't have much opportunity to learn. Just like you being taught by me that Tulsa really isn't a seaport, I've learned the difference between a free safety and a strong safety, right here. It's great.

Tell you what: I don't think that you should be banned. You think I should. Start a thread about it. If the results come back that I should be banned, I will leave and never return.

Will you do that?
Excuse me for not reading all your tripe. Save whatever it was for who might listen to you. You come to a football board while knowing nothing about football . Then you make NO attempt to learn although you have been on the board for what??? 3 years? You are a phony little limey bastard.

Phobia
08-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Excuse me for not reading all your tripe. Save whatever it was for who might listen to you. You come to a football board while knowing nothing about football . Then you make NO attempt to learn although you have been on the board for what??? 3 years? You are a phony little limey bastard.

This thread will never make 100 replies.

Donger
08-20-2007, 09:51 PM

I've actually learned quite a lot, and I'm thankful for it.

So, shall I start the thread or will you, and will you abide by the results?

banyon
08-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Wait a minute. Is this whole thread a carefully planned and executed satire of the tendency of organized religions to fight amongst themselves, losing track of the big picture and the commonalities between them and their greater love toward a Supreme Body, be it God or the Chiefs?

ROFL

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-20-2007, 10:00 PM
This thread will never make 100 replies.
LMAO

Together we can

banyon
08-20-2007, 10:03 PM
BTW if anyone was interested in the actual answer, Presbyterians are Calvinists and believe in predestination. Methodists believe that a free will choice is possible through Grace.

Here's Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arminianism#Comparison_to_Calvinism)
[edit] Differences
Nature of election – Arminians hold that election to eternal salvation has the condition of faith attached. The Calvinist doctrine of unconditional election states that salvation cannot be earned or achieved and is therefore not conditional upon any human effort, so faith is not a condition of salvation but the divinely apportioned means to it.
Nature of grace – Arminians believe that through God's grace, he restores free will concerning salvation to all humanity, and each individual, therefore, is able either to accept the Gospel call through faith or resist it through unbelief. Calvinists hold that God's grace to enable salvation is given only to the elect and irresistibly leads to salvation.
Extent of the atonement – Arminians hold to a universal drawing and universal extent of atonement instead of the Calvinist doctrine that the drawing and atonement is limited in extent to the elect only. Both sides (with a few exceptions among Calvinists) believe the invitation of the gospel is universal and "must be presented to everyone [they] can reach without any distinction."[41]
Perseverance in faith – Arminians believe that future salvation and eternal life is secured in Christ and protected from all external forces but is conditional on remaining in Christ and can be lost through apostasy. Traditional Calvinists believe in the doctrine of the perseverance of the saints, which says that because God chose some unto salvation and actually paid for their particular sins, he keeps them from apostasy and that those who do apostasize were never truly regenerated (that is, born again). Non-traditional Calvinists and other evangelicals advocate the similar but different doctrine of eternal security that teaches if a person was once saved, his or her salvation can never be in jeopardy, even if the person completely apostasizes.

Phobia
08-20-2007, 10:03 PM
I've actually learned quite a lot, and I'm thankful for it.

So, shall I start the thread or will you, and will you abide by the results?
Neither one of you are going anywhere. We're just going to change your registration date to some time preceding April 2001 so Skippy will leave you alone.

RJ
08-20-2007, 10:05 PM

Great, you spoiled the ending for me. Thanks a lot.

Mr Luzcious
08-20-2007, 10:05 PM
BTW if anyone was interested in the actual answer, Presbyterians are Calvinists and believe in predestination. Methodists believe that a free will choice is possible through Grace.

[edit] Differences
Nature of election – Arminians hold that election to eternal salvation has the condition of faith attached. The Calvinist doctrine of unconditional election states that salvation cannot be earned or achieved and is therefore not conditional upon any human effort, so faith is not a condition of salvation but the divinely apportioned means to it.
Nature of grace – Arminians believe that through God's grace, he restores free will concerning salvation to all humanity, and each individual, therefore, is able either to accept the Gospel call through faith or resist it through unbelief. Calvinists hold that God's grace to enable salvation is given only to the elect and irresistibly leads to salvation.
Extent of the atonement – Arminians hold to a universal drawing and universal extent of atonement instead of the Calvinist doctrine that the drawing and atonement is limited in extent to the elect only. Both sides (with a few exceptions among Calvinists) believe the invitation of the gospel is universal and "must be presented to everyone [they] can reach without any distinction."[41]
Perseverance in faith – Arminians believe that future salvation and eternal life is secured in Christ and protected from all external forces but is conditional on remaining in Christ and can be lost through apostasy. Traditional Calvinists believe in the doctrine of the perseverance of the saints, which says that because God chose some unto salvation and actually paid for their particular sins, he keeps them from apostasy and that those who do apostasize were never truly regenerated (that is, born again). Non-traditional Calvinists and other evangelicals advocate the similar but different doctrine of eternal security that teaches if a person was once saved, his or her salvation can never be in jeopardy, even if the person completely apostasizes.

Crap, If I hadn't read through the whole thread first I would've beat you to that.

Regardless, Skip, what variety of Presbyterian were you? There are three, you know. I didn't.. until a couple days ago.

cdcox
08-20-2007, 10:06 PM

[edit] Differences

In recent times the majority branches of these two denominations have become much less dogmatic about their differences, to the point that you can't even get them to fight.

Donger
08-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Neither one of you are going anywhere. We're just going to change your registration date to some time preceding April 2001 so Skippy will leave you alone.

Unless that change makes Skip less error-prone, I fail to see the relevance.

Mr Luzcious
08-20-2007, 10:09 PM
In recent times the majority branches of these two denominations have become much less dogmatic about their differences, to the point that you can't even get them to fight.

Nah, the methodists are just lazy.

petegz28
08-20-2007, 10:16 PM

:hmmm:

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Mr Luzcious
08-20-2007, 10:16 PM
And.. they aren't different religions.

Hammock Parties
08-20-2007, 10:17 PM
A few thousand dollars.