PDA

View Full Version : WTF is with all the lazy mothers?

BIG_DADDY
08-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Schools are saying for a buck fitty they can feed over 70 % of the kids a more nutritious meal than they are getting at home? WTF, this is California too. No wonder kids are having such a problem with diabetes.

I must have had the greatest mom in the world.

ChiefsfaninPA
08-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Both my kids pay $1.90 for school lunch. And trust me, it doesn't look nutritious. This is on top of the $2,900 I pay in school taxes.

Saulbadguy
08-21-2007, 09:50 AM
What, you don't think Chicken Ring Things are nutritious?

BIG_DADDY
08-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Both my kids pay $1.90 for school lunch. And trust me, it doesn't look nutritious. This is on top of the $2,900 I pay in school taxes.

I just hope we have the money for private school. I'll suck it up in order to make that happen.

InChiefsHeaven
08-21-2007, 09:52 AM
The kids at our schools all have a friggin' food court to eat at, with Subway and Pizza Hut and Taco bell and Arby's...what the hell? They should be forced to pay to eat the gruel from the lunch lady, just like I was!!

Skip Towne
08-21-2007, 09:54 AM
The kids at our schools all have a friggin' food court to eat at, with Subway and Pizza Hut and Taco bell and Arby's...what the hell? They should be forced to pay to eat the gruel from the lunch lady, just like I was!!
Gruel. Hahahahaha

Frosty
08-21-2007, 09:56 AM
they can feed over 70 % of the kids a more nutritious meal than they are getting at home?

Unfortunately, that is probably true. :shake: It sure doesn't say much for the crap that most kids eat at home anymore.

luv
08-21-2007, 09:57 AM
I just hope we have the money for private school. I'll suck it up in order to make that happen.
Do they serve different food in private schools a opposed to public schools?

My mom always wanted us to buy school lunches, because she wanted us to have a hot lunch. What I don't get is why children would need to go and eat breakfast at school.

penguinz
08-21-2007, 09:58 AM
What I don't get is why children would need to go and eat breakfast at school.
Because if they don;t my Hostess stock is not worth as much!

Redrum_69
08-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Pit Bulls can get diabetes?

Deberg_1990
08-21-2007, 10:03 AM
They should be forced to pay to eat the gruel from the lunch lady, just like I was!!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vebi8fmKipA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vebi8fmKipA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

InChiefsHeaven
08-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Sloppey Joe, Slop, sloppy joe yeah!!

KC Kings
08-21-2007, 10:08 AM
My kids school is $1.50, you pay online and they pay with a PIN (no bullies stealing the lunch money), and they have pretty healthy lunches. They have a salad and baked potato bar, and my son has learned more about healthy eating habits by the first grade from health class then I learned the entire time in school.

InChiefsHeaven
08-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Pit Bulls can get diabetes?

Only if they spend too much time munching on yer mom's seweet ass...

InChiefsHeaven
08-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Meh. These kids today don't know jack until they've had to wring the grease out of a Fiestada!

underEJ
08-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Excellent article. I know, NY Times subscribe, but go to bugmenot.com for a login, it's worth it, if you care about what your kids eat in school.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/22/magazine/22wwlnlede.t.html?ex=1187841600&en=04fe5b95c957c93f&ei=5070

Eleazar
08-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Look at their parents. They're fat too.

In fact, I was listening to the radio a few weeks ago and they were talking about obesity. Basically, the guy was reading a bunch of different studies on the air that said things like fat people have fat kids, fat kids associate with each other, fat people end up with fat spouses, if your friends are fat then you are likely to gain weight, and that people who had parents who died from obesity related healthy problems are likely to end up with the same fate.

What it all seemed to me to sound like is what people gravitate towards other people who make them comfortable. If you are obese, then you're going to gravitate towards friends and mates who are too, because then you feel adequate. If you surround yourself with fit people, you're more likely to want to take care of yourself. And if you aren't fit, then you probably aren't motivated to make sure your kids are either. You wouldn't have any authority against them in the fight over being healthy if you are pouring yourself into size 46 sweatpants or whatever.

ChiefsfaninPA
08-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Excellent article. I know, NY Times subscribe, but go to bugmenot.com for a login, it's worth it, if you care about what your kids eat in school.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/22/magazine/22wwlnlede.t.html?ex=1187841600&en=04fe5b95c957c93f&ei=5070

Sorry I didn't get a chance to read the article. I got sucked into playing Orbitz soccer.

BIG_DADDY
08-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Look at their parents. They're fat too.

In fact, I was listening to the radio a few weeks ago and they were talking about obesity. Basically, the guy was reading a bunch of different studies on the air that said things like fat people have fat kids, fat kids associate with each other, fat people end up with fat spouses, if your friends are fat then you are likely to gain weight, and that people who had parents who died from obesity related healthy problems are likely to end up with the same fate.

What it all seemed to me to sound like is what people gravitate towards other people who make them comfortable. If you are obese, then you're going to gravitate towards friends and mates who are too, because then you feel adequate. If you surround yourself with fit people, you're more likely to want to take care of yourself. And if you aren't fit, then you probably aren't motivated to make sure your kids are either. You wouldn't have any authority against them in the fight over being healthy if you are pouring yourself into size 46 sweatpants or whatever.

YEP

Deberg_1990
08-21-2007, 10:28 AM
I miss those rectangle school lunch pizzas. Those were yummy back in the day.

Saulbadguy
08-21-2007, 10:33 AM
YEP
fat people = jolly. SO STFU!

BIG_DADDY
08-21-2007, 10:34 AM

The only thing I ever liked was the chocolate chip cookies. Looking back, the meals I got at school were the worst I had as a child.

chasedude
08-21-2007, 10:37 AM
I work for a Head Start Organization in NE Kansas. The kids are from low income and impoverished families.

Every kid in the classes is fed at least 2 meals a day. Morning kids are given breakfast and a lunch before heading home. The afternoon classes are given lunch as soon as they arrive and a snack before leaving for home in the afternoon. This is all in the thought that this may be the best meals they'll get that day. Most will go home to sugary snacks and open ended calories.

These meals are very wholesome and nutritious. I've sat down a time or two in some of the centers to eat with the kids. I love some of the cooks around here, they're all good at what they do and promote healing eating habits.

It feels good to know that there's something out there that's doing something GOOD to gain a control on obesity in kids.

Eleazar
08-21-2007, 10:42 AM
I work for a Head Start Organization in NE Kansas. The kids are from low income and impoverished families.

Every kid in the classes is fed at least 2 meals a day. Morning kids are given breakfast and a lunch before heading home. The afternoon classes are given lunch as soon as they arrive and a snack before leaving for home in the afternoon. This is all in the thought that this may be the best meals they'll get that day. Most will go home to sugary snacks and open ended calories.

These meals are very wholesome and nutritious. I've sat down a time or two in some of the centers to eat with the kids. I love some of the cooks around here, they're all good at what they do and promote healing eating habits.

It feels good to know that there's something out there that's doing something GOOD to gain a control on obesity in kids.

School lunch really does provide a valuable service in society. They actually bother to try to put something nutritious together. Is school lunch absolutely delicious, no. But they at least try to cover their bases on nutrition. When the kids get home, they're just going to get showered in twinkies and potato chips and Coca-Cola, but 2 meals out of 3 helps.

teedubya
08-21-2007, 10:55 AM
All I know is my son's kindergarten teacher is HAWT.

Viva Lee's Summit!

InChiefsHeaven
08-21-2007, 11:05 AM

Viva Lee's Summit!

Post = worthless without...

Buehler445
08-21-2007, 11:24 AM
My mom was crazy about getting balanced meals. At every meal there were 2 veggies and a fruit to go along with excellently prepared meat and potatoes. It wasn't until I had been on my own for awhile and went back for harvest that I don't eat that way. I think it is really easy to get busy and forget some things at dinner. EVERYBODY needs to pull their heads out and make a consiious effort to eat properly. It is amazing what some icky veggies will do for you wasteline:)

way2kalm
08-21-2007, 11:44 AM

Viva Lee's Summit!

Don't you just hate that! I just visited my daughters school and see all of these young, beautiful teachers...damn! Where were these chicks at when I was in school. All I had were a bunch of old ass wrinkled up teachers.

InChiefsHeaven
08-23-2007, 06:51 AM
My mom was crazy about getting balanced meals. At every meal there were 2 veggies and a fruit to go along with excellently prepared meat and potatoes. It wasn't until I had been on my own for awhile and went back for harvest that I don't eat that way. I think it is really easy to get busy and forget some things at dinner. EVERYBODY needs to pull their heads out and make a consiious effort to eat properly. It is amazing what some icky veggies will do for you wasteline:)

My problem is, I drown the icky vegetables in cheese sauce...not good for the waistline...but gooooooooooooooooooooood. :)

HonestChieffan
08-23-2007, 07:19 AM
WTF is with the lazy dads....

Reerun_KC
08-23-2007, 07:22 AM

So will she make sure we have our lunches and proper balanced meals at harvest time?

Reerun_KC
08-23-2007, 07:24 AM

Good Man! We suck it up and make it happen for both of our kids... It sure is expensive. I would say we are shelling out $1000 a month for both to go there.. But it is well worth it... Daughter is straight A's and already taking college classes her sophmore year of HS.. She should grade HS and start her college with one year completed.

My son is a A/B student and we are very thankful for the private school... He is only in the 5th grade....

Buehler445
08-23-2007, 07:25 AM
So will she make sure we have our lunches and proper balanced meals at harvest time?

She did for me:)

Reerun_KC
08-23-2007, 07:27 AM
She did for me:)

I dont know who is more excited? Me or Your Dad? He is pretty happy hat I am coming for 4 weeks and going to give them flight reviews while I am there... Plus computer work, plus.....

I think he is going to keep me very busy for the month of OCT....

HonestChieffan
08-23-2007, 07:29 AM
Maybe its the coke machines in hallways....
Maybe its all the time spent on thier collective asses with a freaking Ipod in their ears and a cell phone/game boy/whatever they are in hand..
Maybe if they had to mow the yard, sweep the garage, or do anything other than watch TV/videogames/tv

Dont blame school lunch for fat unhealthy kids. Blame the lifestyle and what we as parents and adults have allowed to happen.

Buehler445
08-23-2007, 07:30 AM
I dont know who is more excited? Me or Your Dad? He is pretty happy hat I am coming for 4 weeks and going to give them flight reviews while I am there... Plus computer work, plus.....

I think he is going to keep me very busy for the month of OCT....

Yeah, he's pretty excited. I'm glad things worked out.

Reerun_KC
08-23-2007, 07:31 AM
Yeah, he's pretty excited. I'm glad things worked out.

Same here... He seemed like a really nice person and I look forward to meeting them all. I am planning on being out there on Sept 30th...

jidar
08-23-2007, 07:58 AM

Yeah because you can tell that by looking at it.

morphius
08-23-2007, 08:27 AM
Did BD Momma have a job outside of the house?

BIG_DADDY
08-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Good Man! We suck it up and make it happen for both of our kids... It sure is expensive. I would say we are shelling out $1000 a month for both to go there.. But it is well worth it... Daughter is straight A's and already taking college classes her sophmore year of HS.. She should grade HS and start her college with one year completed.

My son is a A/B student and we are very thankful for the private school... He is only in the 5th grade....

Friggen awesome man, congratulations. I'm scared to even look at what prices are out here but I will find a way to make it happen.

BIG_DADDY
08-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Maybe its all the time spent on thier collective asses with a freaking Ipod in their ears and a cell phone/game boy/whatever they are in hand..
Maybe if they had to mow the yard, sweep the garage, or do anything other than watch TV/videogames/tv

Dont blame school lunch for fat unhealthy kids. Blame the lifestyle and what we as parents and adults have allowed to happen.

I wasn't blaming the parents not the schools you fuggin idiot.

BIG_DADDY
08-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Did BD Momma have a job outside of the house?

When we were really young she opted for raising her kids. When we got a little older she went back to work but the A+ breakfasts never stopped, Eggs, fresh squeezed OJ, oatmeal, toast with home made preserves ect.

HonestChieffan
08-23-2007, 09:26 AM
I wasn't blaming the parents not the schools you fuggin idiot.

Huh?

KC Kings
08-23-2007, 09:43 AM

I completely agree that we have allowed unhealthy lifestyles to go on for a long time, but I am not convinced that kids aren't just getting bigger for other reasons. We have an easy blame for the weight problem, but when you look around kids aren't just getting wider, they are getting taller. When I was in High School we had one guy that was 6'6" and maybe a couple of 6'2" guys. I was 6'1" and easily one of the tallest kids in my class. Now it is not uncommon to have 6 footers in junior high.

You don't see kids out playing in the yard like we did when I was a kid, but we also never started organized sports until the 3rd or 4th grade, and summer started before Memorial Day and ended after Labor Day. Now summer is only 10 weeks long, and summer school is so fun, (and they pay you to go), that a lot of kids spend 4 weeks of their vacation in summer school. I coach baseball/football/basketball, and there are a lot of chubby kids that play year round sports. I can't vouch for their diet, and usually the kids that are really overweight are the ones that bring Kool-Aid Jammers and Chips for their turn on the snack schedule, but there are a lot of kids that stay active, eat healthy, and are still chunky. My son and daughter eat the same, are involved in team sports year round, go swimming every day in the summer, and spend time outside playing. My son is lean but my daughter is chubby. She is 5 and wears size 6 clothes so she is not huge, but she is still a little chunky. Maybe she will grow out of it, or maybe she is built that way? Just throwing out the question.

As for private schools, we looked into them also and they are very expensive. It ended up being cheaper just to move to the best school district in the metro and leting them go to public schools.

HonestChieffan
08-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Public schools do a great job...most of us are a product of public schools. There are definite differences in quality no doubt. The KC school system is a shambles but not due to the teachers as much as due to the morons who get elected to the school board...but thats another issue entirely.

We cannot have great education without great educators. And we wont have great educators if we continue to nickle and dime teacher salary. Why is a Johnson County school better....good question...but you can bet the best teachers in JoCo are not looking to quit so they can move to rural Missouri and teach.

BIG_DADDY
08-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Huh?

LMAO that's what happens when your typing with one hand and feeding a baby with the other at work. I was blaming the parents not the schools dude. Schools should not be able to give 70% of the kids a more nutritious breakfast than they are getting at home for a buck fity.

BIG_DADDY
08-23-2007, 09:50 AM
Public schools do a great job...most of us are a product of public schools. There are definite differences in quality no doubt. The KC school system is a shambles but not due to the teachers as much as due to the morons who get elected to the school board...but thats another issue entirely.

We cannot have great education without great educators. And we wont have great educators if we continue to nickle and dime teacher salary. Why is a Johnson County school better....good question...but you can bet the best teachers in JoCo are not looking to quit so they can move to rural Missouri and teach.

Privatize

HonestChieffan
08-23-2007, 09:56 AM
You cannot be serious.

Privatize? One of the great values of public education is that students are taught to think and challenge and learn from all viewpoints. They are not force fed the beliefs and attitudes of one side on issues, they are encouraged to look at both and form an opinion based on decision making.

In a privatized system, who will make sure the student hears all sides on issues? Or would we endup with one school teaching pure liberal ideas, another pure conservative ideas, and schools only availkable to those with money...the poor relegated to where?

KC Kings
08-23-2007, 10:05 AM

Kansas City has some of the best school district in the US. In fact they were ranked number 11 out of all of the metros in the US with at least 100,000 students. Sure the Kansas City Mo and Kansas City Kansas school districts suck, and that is all you hear about on the news. Only 25% of the students in the Metro attend schools in these districts.

Of the remaining 75%, 45% go to Gold Medal School districts (top 17% of all districts in the nation), and 17% go to Blue Ribbon districts. In other words, nearly two out of every three students in the Kansas City MSA are in districts that rank in the top one-third of all school districts nationwide. Unfortunately, one in four students in the metro attends school in a district that ranks in the bottom 10 percent nationally.

Not to hijack the fat kid thread, just wanted to clear up the misconception that if you lived in the KC metro, your kids school sucked unless you lived in JoCo. Gold Medal schools in 2005 were Olathe, Blue Valley, Piper, and Shawnee Mission, and on the MO side were Park Hill, Liberty, Blue Springs, and Lees Summit.

Demonpenz
08-23-2007, 10:08 AM
I don't like the privitize idea. Seems like the rich get richer, and the middle class get seperation from the lower middle class.

HonestChieffan
08-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Kansas City has some of the best school district in the US. In fact they were ranked number 11 out of all of the metros in the US with at least 100,000 students. Sure the Kansas City Mo and Kansas City Kansas school districts suck, and that is all you hear about on the news. Only 25% of the students in the Metro attend schools in these districts.

Of the remaining 75%, 45% go to Gold Medal School districts (top 17% of all districts in the nation), and 17% go to Blue Ribbon districts. In other words, nearly two out of every three students in the Kansas City MSA are in districts that rank in the top one-third of all school districts nationwide. Unfortunately, one in four students in the metro attends school in a district that ranks in the bottom 10 percent nationally.

Not to hijack the fat kid thread, just wanted to clear up the misconception that if you lived in the KC metro, your kids school sucked unless you lived in JoCo. Gold Medal schools in 2005 were Olathe, Blue Valley, Piper, and Shawnee Mission, and on the MO side were Park Hill, Liberty, Blue Springs, and Lees Summit.

Well said...sorry if my post seemed to blanket the entire metro...its not bad everywhere and they are doing a good job in many schools and seldom get credit for fine work.

BIG_DADDY
08-23-2007, 10:11 AM
You cannot be serious.

Privatize? One of the great values of public education is that students are taught to think and challenge and learn from all viewpoints. They are not force fed the beliefs and attitudes of one side on issues, they are encouraged to look at both and form an opinion based on decision making.

In a privatized system, who will make sure the student hears all sides on issues? Or would we endup with one school teaching pure liberal ideas, another pure conservative ideas, and schools only availkable to those with money...the poor relegated to where?

Public schools are a cesspool of liberalism. I'm all about freedom. I want the freedom to pick the school my kid goes to and know that their priorities are aligned with mine. Why would you be against the freedom of choice?

pikesome
08-23-2007, 10:13 AM
You cannot be serious.

When was the last time you were in school? This didn't happen at all when I was in school. The two teachers I had in HS who were any good at teaching both bailed, one to a university and the other to join a private school. Mindless, dull and without any attention to critical thinking were the order of the day. No discussion of differing view points unless I brought it up, I spent most of my history classes arguing with teachers who didn't even seem to have read the books we were learning from let alone any others.

Private schools don't guarantee better education but they can't be worse than public schools.

BIG_DADDY
08-23-2007, 10:15 AM
When was the last time you were in school? This didn't happen at all when I was in school. The two teachers I had in HS who were any good at teaching both bailed, one to a university and the other to join a private school. Mindless, dull and without any attention to critical thinking were the order of the day. No discussion of differing view points unless I brought it up, I spent most of my history classes arguing with teachers who didn't even seem to have read the books we were learning from let alone any others.

Private schools don't guarantee better education but they can't be worse than public schools.

I really hope we have the voucher system here soon, I just don't see it happening.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-23-2007, 10:15 AM

****. yeah.

Demonpenz
08-23-2007, 10:18 AM
rectangle pizzas potato triangles octigon ho ho's thats some geometry

pikesome
08-23-2007, 10:19 AM
I really hope we have the voucher system here soon, I just don't see it happening.

In my home town, growing up, it was fairly well established that either of the two Catholic schools were head and shoulders above the public schools. We had a couple of non-Catholics in every class so they could get a better education. At a cost though, I don't know how my parents managed to pay for all 4 of us to go.

HonestChieffan
08-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Public schools are a cesspool of liberalism. I'm all about freedom. I want the freedom to pick the school my kid goes to and know that their priorities are aligned with mine. Why would you be against the freedom of choice?

Aint that the hell of it...teaching kids such ideas...allowing them to actually think, challenge and reach their own conclusions? Thats whats wrong with this country...those dastardly liberals...even Republican moderates...why they have kids study such things as crazy as evolution.

I've even heard of some schools with history books that look at the treatment of one people by another people and have the nerve to ask....was that right? wrong? why?.....Why, that could lead to asking "Why" on other issues? Soon we have anarchy!!!

Now to your question....I am certainy for freedom of choice. And Private schools offer that today. But to privatize education is a far cry from freedom of choice.

What if your children had freedom to choose...would they chose the same direction you would?

BIG_DADDY
08-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Aint that the hell of it...teaching kids such ideas...allowing them to actually think, challenge and reach their own conclusions? Thats whats wrong with this country...those dastardly liberals...even Republican moderates...why they have kids study such things as crazy as evolution.

I've even heard of some schools with history books that look at the treatment of one people by another people and have the nerve to ask....was that right? wrong? why?.....Why, that could lead to asking "Why" on other issues? Soon we have anarchy!!!

Now to your question....I am certainy for freedom of choice. And Private schools offer that today. But to privatize education is a far cry from freedom of choice.

What if your children had freedom to choose...would they chose the same direction you would?

This isn't ****ing Woodstack dude. There is a reason we are parents, we are supposed to give our kids direction. Obviously you think the government is more qualified than you to do that than you. I fully support your right to that thought too I just want the same right extended to me.

pikesome
08-23-2007, 10:29 AM
This isn't ****ing Woodstack dude. There is a reason we are parents, we are supposed to give our kids direction. Obviously you think the government is more qualified than you to do that than you. I fully support your right to that thought too I just want the same right extended to me.

If your beliefs don't match the educators', then you must be wrong. That's the point here. It's a sad commentary that looking back over my schooling the most "liberal" educator I had was a reasonably conservative Catholic priest.

HonestChieffan
08-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Actually no....i raised a very well rounded bright successful child. Im proud beyong all get out of his success and the future he has. He graduated number one in his HS class, got his undergrad in Finance and his law degree and passed the bar on the first go...so yea...I think hes done well.

I would hope his mother and I had some small part in guiding hiim. But I also realize that his attitudes, thoughts, political stands, aspirations, goals and desires are not all the same as mine were at that age, nor should he mirror my beliefs.

I certainly did not mirror my dads either. He sat in a tailgunner seat on a B17 and lived through things I cannot and you cannot imagine. But he was wise enough to know his kids needed to think independently. Thank goodness.

Woodstock was an outgrowth of a special time...when for the first time in a long long time, young people found a voice...and expressed it...did I agree with it...no. I was a Nixon Republican in 1972...but did I support those seperate and far different views...absolutely. And looking back on it...some of what they said was right. And Nixon was a crook.

KC Kings
08-23-2007, 10:59 AM

Priorities alligned? So you would find a school with this ciriculum:
1st Period: Botany: Cultivating Premium Ganja
2nd Period: Early History of Indo-European Pornography
3rd Period: Phyiscal Education: Strength Training and Conditioning.
Lunch: Greens, Protein Shake, and 2 Dried Cranberries for Dessert
4th Period: Chemistry: Using Science to Illegally Enhance Your Physique
5th Period: Genetics: Breeding Vicous Pit Bulls
6th Period: Science: The Art of Hydroponics
7th Period: Art: Zig Zag Origami, 101 ways to roll your Ganja

pikesome
08-23-2007, 11:10 AM

Is that the KCMO Public School curriculum?

Reerun_KC
08-23-2007, 11:11 AM

We are avoiding all schools that go to the voucher system... Our kids go to a private Christian school and yes it does guarantee a better education than the public school system...

The learning environment is not threating. Very low tollorace policy for bullies, back talking, disrespect of teachers, etc... They have less than a 3 strike your out policy... You either play by the rules or your gone... No lawyer can come sue the school board because little joey brought a gun to school by accident...

We pay for safety, security and an educational level that the public schools cant offer...

Just a matter of priorities that my wife and I decided on..... I could have a new Pickup and Skiboat... But I dont...

Reerun_KC
08-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Is that the KCMO Public School curriculum?

Nah, that is the motto on how to be a professional athlete in the 21st Century...

pikesome
08-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Nah, that is the motto on how to be a professional athlete in the 21st Century...

Touche. Didn't JWhit have an article on college degrees for pro-athletes? This might be the first draft for the Virginia Tech program.

Calcountry
08-23-2007, 11:15 AM
I really hope we have the voucher system here soon, I just don't see it happening.Then Ahhhnold wouldn't have anything to fix.

I remember when we almost had that thing passed. The only people that hated it were the established teachers and those that listened to their well funded Union propaganda.

Eleazar
08-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Then Ahhhnold wouldn't have anything to fix.

I remember when we almost had that thing passed. The only people that hated it were the established teachers and those that listened to their well funded Union propaganda.

The teachers' unions might do more societal harm than any other special interest group out there when you add it all up.

BIG_DADDY
08-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Actually no....i raised a very well rounded bright successful child. Im proud beyong all get out of his success and the future he has. He graduated number one in his HS class, got his undergrad in Finance and his law degree and passed the bar on the first go...so yea...I think hes done well.

I would hope his mother and I had some small part in guiding hiim. But I also realize that his attitudes, thoughts, political stands, aspirations, goals and desires are not all the same as mine were at that age, nor should he mirror my beliefs.

I certainly did not mirror my dads either. He sat in a tailgunner seat on a B17 and lived through things I cannot and you cannot imagine. But he was wise enough to know his kids needed to think independently. Thank goodness.

Woodstock was an outgrowth of a special time...when for the first time in a long long time, young people found a voice...and expressed it...did I agree with it...no. I was a Nixon Republican in 1972...but did I support those seperate and far different views...absolutely. And looking back on it...some of what they said was right. And Nixon was a crook.

It's not about controlling their every thought as much as it is having a say in the priorities of what they're taught. You used evolution as an example. I have no problem with evolution being taught, I do have a problem with it being taught as the absolute truth in how we got got here however. Here are some other issues I have with public schools here locally and the mentality and priorities they have.

1. They do lack objectivity and are VERY liberal. My godson came home as a young child telling his mom to vote for Gore because the teachers said they should because he was for education.

2. I don't want my son to be taught to run and snitch when dealing with confrontation.

3. I don't want him taught that the pledge of allegiance is a bad thing that shouldn't be in school. I may get irritated with the direction of our country but there is no doubt where my allegiance stands. If you don't have allegiance for our country then you shouldn't be here, period.

4. Physical education and competition should be encouraged in school.

5. I don't think any religion should be shut out of school. Religious intollerance is simply unacceptable.

Lastly privatizing gives parents much more control over who the teachers are going to be. Lets face it, there are a lot of really shitty teachers out and we have absolutely no say in whether they stay of or go. Privatizing allows for freedom of choice. As tax payers we deserve to have a say in what our children are taught. Vouchers would give us options. I think your belief that our school system teach objectivity is just way off base

BIG_DADDY
08-23-2007, 11:30 AM

You're funny ROFL

BIG_DADDY
08-23-2007, 11:32 AM
We are avoiding all schools that go to the voucher system... Our kids go to a private Christian school and yes it does guarantee a better education than the public school system...

The learning environment is not threating. Very low tollorace policy for bullies, back talking, disrespect of teachers, etc... They have less than a 3 strike your out policy... You either play by the rules or your gone... No lawyer can come sue the school board because little joey brought a gun to school by accident...

We pay for safety, security and an educational level that the public schools cant offer...

Just a matter of priorities that my wife and I decided on..... I could have a new Pickup and Skiboat... But I dont...

Sounds good to me. I have been really impressed with the kids and the level of edudcation they are getting out of the various christian schools I have seen so far.