PDA

View Full Version : A poll on fines as a behavior modifer.

Rain Man
08-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Hypothetical: you go to the [health club/brothel/Dungeons & Dragons club] five nights a week. You finish up at about 9:00, and the streets are more or less empty.

The driveway to the [health club/brothel/Dungeons & Dragons club] is on a busy street, and there's a sign that specifically prohibits left turns out of the [health club/brothel/Dungeons & Dragons club]. However, if you make a left turn, you can go straight to the house, whereas if you make a right turn, you end up on a road where you can't turn around for 1/8 mile, therefore taking you 1/4 mile out of your way (there and back).

You presume that the left-turn prohibition is to prevent people from trying to make a left turn across three lanes of traffic at rush hour, and when you leave, there's no traffic, so it's easy to do. You've been making your left turn out of there for two years without incident.

On one moonlit Wednesday night, you finish your [workout/threesome/orc battle using your +2 sword], pull out, and WOOWOOWOO, you see flashing lights behind you, accompanied by a siren. You have no idea if the cop just happened to see you while driving, or if the cop was waiting there to catch people coming out of the driveway. All you see are the lights.

The cop pulls you over, points to the 'no left turn' sign, and gives you a ticket. You grumble and drive home.

How big would the ticket have to be to make you always go right coming out of the [health club/brothel/Dungeons & Dragons club] in the future?

Hydrae
08-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Before the poll is posted...

I would contend that since I did not infringe on anyone's rights (ie, didn't cause an accident or even cause anyone to slow down), I did not break the law. The letter of the law yes, but not the intent which, IMO, is what should be enforced.

Of course I doubt I could find a judge to agree with me. :D

noa
08-21-2007, 06:31 PM
I'd risk $25, but no more.

dj56dt58
08-21-2007, 06:32 PM
u mean like trying to get out of arrowhead?

RJ
08-21-2007, 06:35 PM
I would simply obey the sign and go the 1/4 mile round trip out of my way. That's just a few blocks and a couple of minutes, no big deal. If it really bothered me I'd probably find another place to park.

Frazod
08-21-2007, 06:37 PM
I clicked the no amount choice, but only because that's the closest option. After the first ticket, I'd be on the lookout for the cops. If I see a cop lurking, I'll go the other way; if not, I'll turn left. EVERY SINGLE TIME. F#ck 'em.

Bearcat
08-21-2007, 06:38 PM
If it was over $100, I'd not do it again.... or if they caught me multiple times within a few months, I'd stop regardless of the fine. But if it's $20 every couple of years... eh.

Bugeater
08-21-2007, 06:41 PM
If it was $25 I'd continue to do it, anything above that and I'd think twice. I wouldn't risk it in the first place if it was $100.

Rain Man
08-21-2007, 06:53 PM

I would contend that since I did not infringe on anyone's rights (ie, didn't cause an accident or even cause anyone to slow down), I did not break the law. The letter of the law yes, but not the intent which, IMO, is what should be enforced.

Good luck with that.

JBucc
08-21-2007, 06:54 PM
I'd leave my car in the parking lot and walk across.

Logical
08-21-2007, 07:01 PM
$250 anything less is a joke in todays economy.

JBucc
08-21-2007, 07:15 PM
Really though it's not so much about the money as it is about how many times you get caught. If I turn left ten times and get busted 5+ times I'll stop. If I turn left ten times and only get caught once it'd probably take 250+ to get me to stop even when I'm pretty sure no cops are around.

patteeu
08-21-2007, 07:44 PM
I said $100, but after a few weeks worth of trips to the dungeons and dragons club to work out with the prostitutes, I might forget the lesson I learned. So I probably should have said something like $250 or $500.

KcMizzou
08-21-2007, 07:46 PM
$100

That's enough to make it sting for me.

Eleazar
08-21-2007, 08:41 PM
This same thing happened to me once in college. There is a parking lot there that has two driveways, if you will, side by side. The one on the left, from inside the parking lot, says 'do not exit' or something like that.

I was parked in a space right next to it, so after backing out of my space, it's right in front of me. It's dark, probably 9:30 or 10, no other cars on the street or on the lot. I just pull straight out of it. Campus safety comes around the corner and lights me up.

Didn't get a ticket, but they asked me if I had a bunch of stolen PA equipment in my car. Declined a search. :rolleyes:

StcChief
08-21-2007, 08:51 PM
Right's are faster.

cdcox
08-21-2007, 08:52 PM
I face a similar situation every day. The entrance to my parking lot is one way. To exit they want you to go around this building on a narrow drive. You end up at the same place as if you had gone the wrong way through the entrance. The entrance is only like 20 feet long. I used to go around the building but I got tired of watching every one else cut through the one way entrance with impunity. I figure they must not care since people do that a 100 times a day. So now, most days I go through the wrong way too. If I ever get pulled over, I'll definitely be going around the building again. I marked $25.

KcMizzou
08-21-2007, 08:59 PM
What if you ride a scooter to D&D club?

I mean, I can just ride on the sidewalk.

Mr Luzcious
08-21-2007, 10:38 PM
I'd get a radar detector.

Skip Towne
08-21-2007, 10:43 PM

Book him , Dano.

kregger
08-21-2007, 11:10 PM
One of these days I'll get pulled over for going through a red left turn arrow when I come from work(usually after midnight). There is nothing that frustrates me more as a driver than sitting at a red turn arrow when the forward light is green and NO traffic is approaching. It will take a couple of hefty fines to make me change my ways.