PDA

View Full Version : Video Card question

Coach
08-25-2007, 10:11 AM
I am looking to upgrading my video card. Currently, my video card is from the PC/motherboard.

What choices would you recommend for a video card that I am only limiting myself to at least LESS than $150?

Thanks in advance.

DaFace
08-25-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm not going to have a ton of strong recommendations for you, but others are going to need to know what type of card you can use in order to answer your question. Does your computer have open PCI, AGP, or PCI-X slots?

Coach
08-25-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm not going to have a ton of strong recommendations for you, but others are going to need to know what type of card you can use in order to answer your question. Does your computer have open PCI, AGP, or PCI-X slots?

That I need to find out. I know from looking at this website, or so I hope, since I went to gateway.com and put in my information on there to get the computer that I bought.

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/4006158R/4006158Rsp2.shtml

Two PCI Conventional bus connectors
One PCI Express ×1 bus add-in card connector
One PCI Express ×16 bus add-in card connector

Saulbadguy
08-25-2007, 10:36 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150229

It will support all the new games, and do a pretty good job at it for under $150

Coach
08-25-2007, 10:45 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150229

It will support all the new games, and do a pretty good job at it for under $150

Yeah, which brings another question for me. Is there really any difference between a 256MB Video Card to a 513 MB? (Other than the price of course, which is about $20 more or so.)

Would it be a better choice for me to get a 513 instead of a 256? I don't mind having to shell a little bit more to get the 513 instead....

Saulbadguy
08-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Yeah, which brings another question for me. Is there really any difference between a 256MB Video Card to a 513 MB? (Other than the price of course, which is about $20 more or so.)

Would it be a better choice for me to get a 513 instead of a 256? I don't mind having to shell a little bit more to get the 513 instead....
Bigger is always better.

Crashride
08-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Bigger is always better.

thats what she said

Coach
08-25-2007, 10:53 AM
Bigger is always better.

That's what I figured. What would you recommend for a 513 then? You'd still go with GeoForce brands? Is GeoForce compatitible for Intel Based Motherboards/Processeors?

I had a GeoForce 5500 or something like that a few years back, and I thought it was a very solid video card chip.

TN_Chief
08-25-2007, 11:10 AM
Bigger is always better.Not true. I work medical imaging IT...and we've got some problems with one of our products right now that's directly related to having too much RAM on a high-end video card (plus the memory limits of a 32-bit OS). "Bigger is always better" can get you into trouble.

htismaqe
08-25-2007, 11:22 AM
I just bought this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127285

jidar
08-25-2007, 11:24 AM
Not true. I work medical imaging IT...and we've got some problems with one of our products right now that's directly related to having too much RAM on a high-end video card (plus the memory limits of a 32-bit OS). "Bigger is always better" can get you into trouble.

This is why they should've kept Windows out of medicine.

edit: Actually, I guess that's how your software vendor is spinning it, but believe me they are full of shit.

If having too much video memory is screwing up your system, it's not your fault, it's the fault of whoever designed the software. They should have checked for whatever bounds they going over.

htismaqe
08-25-2007, 11:27 AM
That's what I figured. What would you recommend for a 513 then? You'd still go with GeoForce brands? Is GeoForce compatitible for Intel Based Motherboards/Processeors?

I had a GeoForce 5500 or something like that a few years back, and I thought it was a very solid video card chip.

nVidia makes GeForce chipsets. Yes, they will work with Intel motherboard/processors.

The problem is that you're going to have to find a small form factor card - the ones that Saul and I posted might not work because your motherboard is a microATX, which means they might not actually fit inside your case.

TrebMaxx
08-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Also keep in mind the memory speed. A 256 card with DDR3 is faster than a 512 not using DDR3.

Coach
08-25-2007, 02:43 PM
nVidia makes GeForce chipsets. Yes, they will work with Intel motherboard/processors.

The problem is that you're going to have to find a small form factor card - the ones that Saul and I posted might not work because your motherboard is a microATX, which means they might not actually fit inside your case.

But if it's a PCI-E it should fit without any problems, eh?

Kerberos
08-25-2007, 04:12 PM

You might look at the dimensions of the video card you are looking to buy and use a tape measure to measure the PCI-E slot from the end where the card will go against the open hole of the case and measure BACK to where the card will end up and make sure NOTHING is right over the top of where the card will come to a stop.

go with card length and height to get the dimension you are looking for inside the case.

htismaqe
08-25-2007, 04:22 PM

The length of the PCI-E x16 slot is the same from system to system.

What you need to be concerned with is the width of the card - once seated in the motherboard, your case may not close if it's too wide.

Saulbadguy
08-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Also be sure the stock power supply can handle it.

Coach
08-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.