PDA

View Full Version : Does the National Do Not Call registry work?

Deberg_1990
08-28-2007, 11:34 AM
I registered a few years back when it first started and it seemed to work reasonably well. Recently, ive had rashes of phone calls from telemarketers again. Some of them 3 or 4 times a week from the same company.

I just reregistered my phone number again to see if it helps.

Anyone else thinks registering makes a difference or not?

https://www.donotcall.gov

ChiefsfaninPA
08-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Worked for me. I don't receive any calls from telemarketers. The only calls I get are from companies I do business with already. That is annoying as well.

greg63
08-28-2007, 11:36 AM
I've not had any salesmen call me lately; so I guess it does. :shrug:

RustShack
08-28-2007, 11:37 AM
I've never had anyone call me since I did it.

BIG_DADDY
08-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Just go wireless already. Telemarketers interrupting your reality shows Deberg?

HonestChieffan
08-28-2007, 11:42 AM
works well except the loophole that allows political calls and "charitable" causes.

Will reduce calls from vendors and nutgroups asking for money

Deberg_1990
08-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Just go wireless already. Telemarketers interrupting your reality shows Deberg?

Always :)

Iowanian
08-28-2007, 12:21 PM
I hope so.

I recently got a new phone number.....3 hours after I hooked it up it rings.

You guessed it. telemarketer for "vikings magazine".

wtf.

Otter
08-28-2007, 12:35 PM
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/25-08152007-1393067.html

Fitness firm, telemarketer hit with 'Do Not Call' fine

The Associated Press

ROSTRAVER, Pa. - A health club and a Florida telemarketing firm will pay a $16,000 fine for violating Pennsylvania's "Do Not Call" list.

Jack Vrabel, who owns Jack's Fitness Studio in Rostraver Township, and Robert Smilanich, who owns Premiere Fitness Marketing in Seminole, Fla., have agreed to pay the fine, Pennsylvania Attorney General Tom Corbett said Tuesday.

The agreement ends an investigation that the Rostraver Health Club solicited business from people who signed up to be on the state's "Do Not Call" list, which lets telephone customers avoid unwanted sales calls.

The Florida firm did not immediately return a message for comment.

Vrabel said Wednesday he wasn't aware his company did anything wrong until Corbett's office contacted him.

"Let me tell you, it was an eye-opener," said Vrabel, a retired steel executive who opened the health club about two years ago to help fund his daughter's college education.

Smilanich said he was not aware of Pennsylvania's "Do Not Call" list because he wasn't registered in the state, but was abiding by a similar federal law.

The solicitors called offering people free passes to Vrabel's health club to generate interest in the business, Smilanich said.

"We weren't selling anything," Smilanich said. "Because I was not registered in the state of Pennsylvania I got my hand slapped."

Vrabel said the Florida company told him they would abide by all state laws when he hired them, and that his attorney reviewed the services to be provided and believed they were legal.

alpha_omega
08-28-2007, 12:40 PM
I think you have to re-register every so often.

greg63
08-28-2007, 12:49 PM

I never have, and have had no problems to date.

Eleazar
08-28-2007, 12:52 PM
I only have a cellphone. I put my cell's number on there and I can't even tell you the last time I got a telemarketing call.

Monty
08-28-2007, 01:00 PM
I only have a cellphone. I put my cell's number on there and I can't even tell you the last time I got a telemarketing call.

Good answer. I did have one call on my cell after registering...maybe 2 days later. I simply told them that my number was on the do not call list and wanted to know who they represented and they hung up immediately. :)

Pneuma
08-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Sue them and get some money. From what I hear the offending companies prefer to settle.

http://www.ucan.org/files/How%20to%20Sue%20Telemarketers%20in%20Small%20Claims%20Court.pdf

Skip Towne
08-28-2007, 01:29 PM
I just registered. It is good till 2012, so every 5 years.

crazycoffey
08-28-2007, 01:32 PM
I'll try it, we get at least 5-6 a day, leaving blank messages, and at night we get an average of 3-4 after 7pm.

pisses me off!

Iowanian
08-28-2007, 01:46 PM
I just got another call.

It was some half-engrish speaker trying to sell me dish notwork.

I broke up my replies by saying about half of every word, skipping some words and he finally said something about not understanding.

I replied that now he knew a little bit of what its like to understand the migrant working dumb****s who can't speak english calling my house.

I wasn't sure what he was saying as I farted loudly into the phone and hung up.

KC-TBB
08-28-2007, 01:48 PM
when they ask for my wife, I just say she's dead now, leave me alone...they don't call back.

greg63
08-28-2007, 02:21 PM
I just got another call.

It was some half-engrish speaker trying to sell me dish notwork.

I broke up my replies by saying about half of every word, skipping some words and he finally said something about not understanding.

I replied that now he knew a little bit of what its like to understand the migrant working dumb****s who can't speak english calling my house.

I wasn't sure what he was saying as I farted loudly into the phone and hung up.

LMAO

I like letting them go through their entire spiel, veining interest right up to the very edge of committing and then saying "no".

BIG_DADDY
08-28-2007, 02:29 PM
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/25-08152007-1393067.html

Fitness firm, telemarketer hit with 'Do Not Call' fine

The Associated Press

ROSTRAVER, Pa. - A health club and a Florida telemarketing firm will pay a $16,000 fine for violating Pennsylvania's "Do Not Call" list.

Jack Vrabel, who owns Jack's Fitness Studio in Rostraver Township, and Robert Smilanich, who owns Premiere Fitness Marketing in Seminole, Fla., have agreed to pay the fine, Pennsylvania Attorney General Tom Corbett said Tuesday.

The agreement ends an investigation that the Rostraver Health Club solicited business from people who signed up to be on the state's "Do Not Call" list, which lets telephone customers avoid unwanted sales calls.

The Florida firm did not immediately return a message for comment.

Vrabel said Wednesday he wasn't aware his company did anything wrong until Corbett's office contacted him.

"Let me tell you, it was an eye-opener," said Vrabel, a retired steel executive who opened the health club about two years ago to help fund his daughter's college education.

Smilanich said he was not aware of Pennsylvania's "Do Not Call" list because he wasn't registered in the state, but was abiding by a similar federal law.

The solicitors called offering people free passes to Vrabel's health club to generate interest in the business, Smilanich said.

"We weren't selling anything," Smilanich said. "Because I was not registered in the state of Pennsylvania I got my hand slapped."

Vrabel said the Florida company told him they would abide by all state laws when he hired them, and that his attorney reviewed the services to be provided and believed they were legal.

They should have made up a lead like it came out of a lead box and they could have easily got out of that.

Logical
08-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Sort of but not perfectly. Definitely has cut down on my unwanted calls.

wutamess
08-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Now if we can get the FD & PD to stop asking for donations... we'd be set.

Not as if I don't "donate" enough when I receive speeding tickets.

They can kiss my ass.

Bugeater
08-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Now if we can get the FD & PD to stop asking for donations... we'd be set.

Not as if I don't "donate" enough when I receive speeding tickets.

They can kiss my ass.
As much as I'd like to support my local FD & PD, don't ever give to them when they call or you'll end up on their "sucker list" forever.

KCChiefsMan
08-28-2007, 02:51 PM
ya I keep getting these stupid ass calls and they tell me that I filled out an entry form for some contest at a store I've never been to. I usually **** with them for a couple of minutes.

kstater
08-28-2007, 04:43 PM
I've never had anyone call me since I did it.

Rain Man
08-28-2007, 04:47 PM
The Do Not Call list works, except for a few stupid firms that don't know enough to not use it. The only problem is that if your cell phone is registered to a business, or if you have a home phone that is registered to a business, they're allowed to call. Business phones aren't protected.

Let me also add that market research is exempt from the Do Not Call list, so if you get a call about doing a survey, it's your patriotic duty as an American to participate, so that you can receive the best-designed products and services possible.

dj56dt58
08-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Good answer. I did have one call on my cell after registering...maybe 2 days later. I simply told them that my number was on the do not call list and wanted to know who they represented and they hung up immediately. :)
It takes 30 days for it to go through so you wouldn't be able to do anything for 30 days anyways

dj56dt58
08-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Sue them and get some money. From what I hear the offending companies prefer to settle.

http://www.ucan.org/files/How%20to%20Sue%20Telemarketers%20in%20Small%20Claims%20Court.pdf
I dont think you can sue..they would just be issued a fine and you would never see a dime

cdcox
08-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Let me also add that market research is exempt from the Do Not Call list, so if you get a call about doing a survey, it's your patriotic duty as an American to participate, so that you can receive the best-designed products and services possible.

I did one on grocery stores the other day. Normally I wouldn't do a telephone survey, but the subject was interesting to me and they promised it would only take 5 to 10 minutes. It was worth my time for having a chance to make some modest improvement on something I care about.

runnercyclist
08-28-2007, 07:09 PM
I ask them politely to hold, then put the phone down, indefinitely.

Rain Man
08-28-2007, 07:24 PM
I did one on grocery stores the other day. Normally I wouldn't do a telephone survey, but the subject was interesting to me and they promised it would only take 5 to 10 minutes. It was worth my time for having a chance to make some modest improvement on something I care about.

:clap: You have made America a better place.