PDA

View Full Version : I'm Sick Of This Crap!

The Rick
08-28-2007, 03:14 PM
It's seems like the de facto answer to our fate this year is the offensive line and how bad they are going to be.

Take this article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/08/28/season.predictions/index.html

After picking us to bring up the rear of the AFC West, Banks says:

The thing that makes you nervous: The state of the offensive line has been highly scrutinized, and the news is mostly bad. Pro Bowl guard Will Shields retired, leaving a void, and then new left tackle Damion McIntosh was felled by a preseason knee injury. The Chiefs, for the first time in years, have problems up front on offense. And that's going to make Huard and running back Larry Johnson's jobs even harder.

We made the playoffs last year with Jordan Black, Chris Terry, and a skinny, getting-his-legs-back Kyle Turley at tackle. Will Shields, while a once-in-a-lifetime player for us for a long time, was a shell of himself last year.

Our tackle situation this year is improved with the addition of McIntosh and with Turley having gained weight and a year (back) under his belt. Plus, Terry is in the mix and played well at the end of last year.

Welbourne can step in and at least play as well as Shields did last year.

I'm going to predict that our offensive line, once McIntosh is back, will be better than it was last year.

chagrin
08-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Yeah, me too dammit!!!

DJay23
08-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Eternal optimists make me laugh.

FAX
08-28-2007, 03:21 PM
The Doom Train is full.

Next stop, Cellar Canyon.

FAX

keg in kc
08-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Mizzeri is the show me state. When they show me they can play well, I'll believe they can.

And even if the tackles are better (which they should be) we still have one of the league's smallest centers playing in a blocking scheme that no longer fits him in any way, shape or form. Wiegmann hurts at least as much as he helps if we're trying to drive block; DTs toss him aside like he's nothing. Great in space. Too bad we don't do that anymore.

Archie Bunker
08-28-2007, 03:25 PM
I think the Chiefs and Raiders will be battling for 3rd and it could go either way.

I really can't argue with Banks on this.

MGRS13
08-28-2007, 03:26 PM
It's seems like the de facto answer to our fate this year is the offensive line and how bad they are going to be.

Take this article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/08/28/season.predictions/index.html

After picking us to bring up the rear of the AFC West, Banks says:

We made the playoffs last year with Jordan Black, Chris Terry, and a skinny, getting-his-legs-back Kyle Turley at tackle. Will Shields, while a once-in-a-lifetime player for us for a long time, was a shell of himself last year.

Our tackle situation this year is improved with the addition of McIntosh and with Turley having gained weight and a year (back) under his belt. Plus, Terry is in the mix and played well at the end of last year.

I'm going to predict that our offensive line, once McIntosh is back, will be better than it was last year.The line sucks, but the good news is maybe Huard goes down by the second game and we HAVE to go with Croyle.

The Rick
08-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Eternal optimists make me laugh.

All I'm saying is that offensive line will not be our biggest weakness this year even though that seems to be the common theme from the national media.

It's obvious they don't do any in depth research. They scan the transactions, see that Shields retired and pinpoint that as our big problem. The fact that he wasn't his usual, dominating self last year is lost.

Extra Point
08-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Banks was trolling the Planet to generate the background for that comment.

MGRS13
08-28-2007, 03:30 PM

All I'm saying is that offensive line will not be our biggest weakness this year even though that seems to be the common theme from the national media.

It's obvious they don't do any in depth research. They scan the transactions, see that Shields retired and pinpoint that as our big problem. The fact that he wasn't his usual, dominating self last year is lost.
Yea but we are resting our big turn around on a LT that has all ready been ran out of two towns, the last of which let him go and their O line is god awful.....doesn't paint a pretty picture.

HonestChieffan
08-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Stop reading!!!

DaneMcCloud
08-28-2007, 03:44 PM
The line sucks, but the good news is maybe Huard goes down by the second game and we HAVE to go with Croyle.

Oh, that's a great way to look at the scenario. If Huard goes down behind this line, how do you think that frail, weak-kneed Brodie Croyle will fare?

If this plays out, we could all be looking at Casey Printers by the third week of the season.

Not gonna happen.

Direckshun
08-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Welbourne's looked very good.

Redrum_69
08-28-2007, 03:58 PM
We made the playoffs last year with Jordan Black, Chris Terry, and a skinny, getting-his-legs-back Kyle Turley at tackle. Will Shields, while a once-in-a-lifetime player for us for a long time, was a shell of himself last year

Hey dumbass...we backed our way into the playoffs last year...

The Chiefs were in the playoffs because YOU KNOW WHO lost

And then we lost to INDY first round..again...

Lin Elliot was laughing

Gonzo
08-28-2007, 04:06 PM

Lin Elliot was laughing

You sir, said the name that must not be mentioned.

Time for a flogging.... :mad:

B_Ambuehl
08-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Actually the line should be quite a bit better then last year and might be as stable as it's been since 2004. The line had quite a few problems in 2005 with Roaf missing most of that year and Black in his place. Sampson started a lot of games at right tackle that year.

Welbourn actually has pro bowl type potential as a guard. His strength has always been run blocking and he's nimble enough that I don't think too many defensive tackles are gonna get by him and get pressure on the quarterback. With Turley back up to his normal weight and playing right tackle where he's been a pro bowler before that should be as good of a right side of an offensive line as you see in the NFL.

The problems with pass protection this pre-season are basically all on account of Svitek who is probably worse than Jordan Black. If McIntosh comes in and does even an average job that line should be much better than last year.

I think the problems with the running game this pre-season have been more on account of playcalling and the fact that the defenses we've faced have all been playing the run extremely heavy.

TEX
08-28-2007, 08:13 PM

Thus far he hasn't.

TEX
08-28-2007, 08:19 PM

Lin Elliot was laughing

We backed into nothing. The schedule was played by all and at the end we did better than those that didn't make it. Did YOU KNOW WHO deserve to make it? HELL NO - they LOST their last game at HOME to a team that was out of it. We WON ours and eliminated the team we beat. We deserved to make MORE than anyone did on the last day of the season because we did what we had to do. Everyone else failed. How are the failures more deserving?

Reerun_KC
08-28-2007, 08:21 PM
We backed into nothing. The schedule was played by all and at the end we did better than those that didn't make it. Did YOU KNOW WHO deserve to make it? HELL NO - they LOST their last game at HOME to a team that was out of it. We WON ours and eliminated the team we beat. We deserved to make MORE than anyone did on the last day of the season because we did what we had to do. Everyone else failed. How are the failures more deserving?

Dammit I knew Herm posted on here!!!

Herm why do you have the screen name of TEX?

Logical
08-28-2007, 08:25 PM
I am sorry The Rick but you are very likely deluding yourself.

LOCOChief
08-28-2007, 08:27 PM

Lin Elliot was laughing

spoken like someone who"s probably never competed and won in their life. They didn't back into the playoffs last year they had to win 9 games.

Stryker
08-28-2007, 08:36 PM

Uh HELLLLOOOOOO! We did not "MAKE" the playoffs, WE GOT A "LUCKY" BREAK! LUCK got us into the playoffs and we got our asses handed to us by the Colts again. Yes, our offensive line sucks and it is going to take a miracle this season to see the playoffs (again). Write it down! I love the Chiefs and I am very happy with the direction the team is headed, it is just not in the cards for this season. Next season after using the draft picks we have accumulated then perhaps. This season will depend on the cohesion of the defense and how effective they are at stopping the run and TACKLING!

Logical
08-28-2007, 08:45 PM
The Doom Train is full.

Next stop, Cellar Canyon.

FAX

No Mr. FAX the Doom train never fills. It is never more than half full.

dj56dt58
08-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Mizzeri is the show me state. When they show me they can play well, I'll believe they can.

And even if the tackles are better (which they should be) we still have one of the league's smallest centers playing in a blocking scheme that no longer fits him in any way, shape or form. Wiegmann hurts at least as much as he helps if we're trying to drive block; DTs toss him aside like he's nothing. Great in space. Too bad we don't do that anymore.
yup, I wish we would have kept solari as the offensive line coach and kept al saunders as the OC and let him have complete control of it. Why do we always have to have a head coach that is mentally retarted on one side of the ball?

The Rick
08-29-2007, 08:00 AM
First of all, some of you guys are unbelievable. We didn't "make" the playoffs last year? Could have fooled me. The last time I checked, we finished 9-7, won our final regular season game thus eliminating one of the teams we were fighting with for the final spot.

Six teams in the conference make the playoffs each year. Who should have gone in our place?

That's beside the point though.

Some of you guys are putting words into my mouth. Not once did I say that we would make the playoffs *this* year. I didn't even oppose Banks picking us to finish last in the division.

My point was that the national media keeps giving a canned response in regards to our supposed weakness and it shows a lack of real research.

Like I said, they look at the transactions during the offseason and see that Will Shields retired. Weakness found, research over. Never mind the fact that last year, he simply wasn't the same old Will.

If anything, our offensive line was in worse shape last year, yet was still good enough to <strike>make the playoffs</strike> finish 9-7.

Lots of things can happen this year to doom our season. Huard might remember the fact that he's a career backup, LJ might breakdown, the defense might not gel, etc. I feel confident though in saying that the offensive line will not be the problem this year.

Otter
08-29-2007, 08:36 AM
spoken like someone who"s probably never competed and won in their life. They didn't back into the playoffs last year they had to win 9 games.

The Chiefs were dependent on factors that were out of their control to make it into the playoffs due to the fact they couldn't perform well enough to be in charge of their own destiny.

They backed, squeaked, squirmed, sneaked or fell ass-backwards into the playoffs.

Redrum_69
08-29-2007, 08:45 AM
big deal

CoMoChief
08-29-2007, 08:53 AM
I think the Chiefs and Raiders will be battling for 3rd and it could go either way.

I really can't argue with Banks on this.
If DEN plays like they have been on defense, they will be lucky to go 8-8....if that.