PDA

View Full Version : I got spanked by Eggheaded Trivia Weenies

gblowfish
08-28-2007, 09:37 PM
My wifey wanted to go play trivia games with some of her pals up at the Independence square tonight . She's been wanting me to go with her for weeks, finally agreed to go. Frankly, the last freakin' thing I want to do after a day in the customer service mosh pit is to have to come home and THINK like I'm taking an SAT exam for three freakin' hours.

OK, so me and my wife were a team. We were the only one of two two-person teams. The others all had four or five people, which I thought was really unfair. Five heads to two, so to speak. And two of the guys were lawyers and their wives.

Through the entire evening, there were only TWO...count em....TWO sports questions.

One: Who was the all time MLB leader in runs scored? (Ricky Henderson) I guessed Ty Cobb and missed that one.
Two: Who was the only female golfer to win 5 tourneys in a row? (Nancy Lopez, I got that one for some reason. She's the only female golfer I could think of.)

We were in second place at halftime, but lost because I bet it all on the last question.

Here's some of the questions, see if you know them without Googling. These were some typical questions, no multiple choice:

I'll give you ten questions, put the answers last. No cheating:

1) What Big Band had the theme song "Cherokee?"
2) What movie title was on the marquee in the opening to the Flintstones?
3) In what decade in the 1900's did Gideans start putting bibles in hotels?
4) What's a 9 letter word that starts with "P" for a tent or shelter in a park or open public area?
5) Who played Barney Miller in the sitcom "Barney Miller?"
6) In Star Trek Next Generation, what did Data name his cat?
7) What is the largest Castle in England?
8) Who's theme song was the tune "Flying Home? (Jazz Question)
9) What Native American Indian food is made of meat, fat and berries?
10) This was the final Jeapordy answer I blew all our points on:

In the Abbot & Costello comedy bit "Who's on First" what is the only field position not mentioned?

Ready for answers...no cheating, bitches:

1) Charlie Barnett Orchestra (who the F*CK would know that?)
2) "The Monster." I knew this one because it came up in Trivial Pursuit once.
3) The 1900's. Gidians started in 1903.
4) Pavillion. Damn Cross Word Freaks all got this one no sweat.
5) Hal Linden
6) Spot
7) Windsor Castle
8) Lionel Hampton (I guessed Benny Goodman, which is a tune he did, Hampton played on it in Goodman's band, and stole it when he went solo)
9) Pemison (whatever the hell that is...I guessed "Jerky" which was, of course, the same as Pemison without the fruit. Damn!!!

10) The category was "comedy classics." I said WTF, let's bet it all, Alex.

Answer to the question: I said "DH", which technically is correct, except Abbot & Costello's bit was done Pre-DH in the American League. So my answer was disqualified on a technicality.

Correct answer is: Right Field.

Most people thought Shortstop, but of course, that's the punchline.

Right field is the winning answer. Winning team took home about $100.

Now I'm just pissed that I lost. And I hate hanging out in a coffee shop with a bunch of eggheaded lawyers who don't even have to answer sports questions, or anything about music from the last SIXTY years!!!

Of course, they knew all the answers on show tunes, authors, gourmet foods, literature. Screw them. Screw them all.

TWO sports questions all night, and one was on the LPGA. Oh, and 2 questions on Rock n Roll, but a whole freakin' category on Big Band and Jazz.

I hope I can sleep tonight....

Frazod
08-28-2007, 09:39 PM
I knew Hal Linden and Spot. That was harsh.

StcChief
08-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Egghead Lawyer/

More like egg eating... :hmmm: isn't that what snakes do

Phobia
08-28-2007, 09:46 PM
I don't know any of them. I'm not a big trivia guy.

Frazod
08-28-2007, 09:49 PM
I don't know any of them. I'm not a big trivia guy.

I'm generally excellent when it comes to trivia. I'm a varitable cornicopia of useless information. But those questions were brutal.

Rain Man
08-29-2007, 12:57 AM
I got six of them, but two of those were guesses.

And it's "pemmican". I remember that from reading about it as a kid. I read some book where they had a quiz about what food these two kids should take into the mountains with them, and pemmican was deemed one of the best foods in terms of nutrition, weight, and spoilage. Chocolate was also deemed a good food since it provides lots of energy for its weight.

TinyEvel
08-29-2007, 01:13 AM
Trivia is the human equalizer.
ALL disputes should be settled by Trivia....NO QUESTION!

Unless you can get a blowjob on a boat while fishing. Then, that should be the winning move.

Well, unless, of course, you have two chicks trying to get you into a kiddie pool filled with Jell-O. Then, THAT beats the BJ on the boat...AND, of course, the trivia dominance.

Well, unless you have hooked, like, a 7 Lb. Bass. Then the BJ and the wicked bass would trump the three-way in the Jell-O pool.

But... if both those chicks were, like, SMOKIN' HOT, I might have to side with the Jell-O threeway with those gals. I mean, how many times do you get to wrassle around with Playboy quality poon in a kiddie pool with Jell-O?

On second (third? fourth?) thought... Maybe you get get a bass close to 7 Lb's once in a while (or at least a 3 Lb. fighter) and if you had a Bass Ale in your hand while fighting this fighting fish with the other hand, and the gal is giving you a BJ and working the delgates (sac) with the hand herself...
THAT might beat the Jell-O pool and two smoking hot gals.

OR, and I mean the FINAL "or"...

You are just doing the Sunday Crossword like you PWN it, effortlessly filling out every square while sitting on the john, and you know the door is locked so you can spank it to the Macy's (or Dillard's) ad chicks and then go mow the lawn and finish the rest of the 6-pack...
THAT WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!

PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ

KCChiefsMan
08-29-2007, 01:17 AM
5 to 2? that's not really fair. Reminds me back when we played paint ball and we were supposed to play this Baptist Church group at their location and we showed up with 10 people and they had 30! We asked to even out the teams (just playing for fun) and they refused and we got our a$$es kicked the first 2 games (they all had premium guns, really good ones) but the 3rd game we won and I felt pretty good about that

ClevelandBronco
08-29-2007, 01:34 AM
What's a 9 letter word that starts with "P" for a tent or shelter in a park or open public area?

You got robbed. The idiots who invented that game don't know how to spell.

Pavilion is an eight letter word, not a nine letter word.

Look it up.

tk13
08-29-2007, 01:56 AM
Those questions are brutal. I hate piddly questions like the Flintstones one.

gblowfish
08-29-2007, 07:57 AM
You're probably right about the correct name of "pemmican". I didn't see it spelled out, just thought that's the way the game master said it.

But they did say "pavillion" and not pavilion.
Maybe I should go rough them up for return of my $5 entry fee...

Deberg_1990
08-29-2007, 08:28 AM
1) Charlie Barnett Orchestra
2) "The Monster."
3) The 1900's.
4) Pavillion.
5) Hal Linden
6) Spot
7) Windsor Castle
8) Lionel Hampton
9) Pemison
10)Right Field.

WooHoo! I got them all right without even looking!!!

gblowfish
08-29-2007, 09:08 AM
1) Charlie Barnett Orchestra
2) "The Monster."
3) The 1900's.
4) Pavillion.
5) Hal Linden
6) Spot
7) Windsor Castle
8) Lionel Hampton
9) Pemison
10)Right Field.

WooHoo! I got them all right without even looking!!!

(BASKETBALL BUZZER) WRONG!
You mis-spelled #4 and #9.
No soup for you.

UL Washington
08-29-2007, 09:53 AM
OK here's a question I have. I happened to be at a bar recently that was having a trivia night. I wasn't participating but couldn't help but hear the questions being asked over the P.A.

Long story short the guy asks a mathmatical story problem, you know along the lines of, if it costs you $3 to make a shoe and you sell it for $7, and you pay $X amount in rent, wages, blah blah blah, how much do you have to sell to make a profit?

So am I crazy here or is a math question in no way, shape, or form trivia? I couldn't help but mention that to the smarmy little MC prick when he walked past but he didn't seem to get what I was saying. Math has nothing to do with trivia was my point.

Baby Lee
09-01-2007, 12:58 PM
My favorite trivia question 'cuz I came up with it myself, and it's you can think through, not something you know by rote].

Chronologically, what's the last scene in Pulp Fiction?

HolmeZz
09-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Backstreet Boys is the correct answer. Backstreet Boys is always the correct answer.

Rain Man
09-01-2007, 01:02 PM
My favorite trivia question 'cuz I came up with it myself, and it's you can think through, not something you know by rote].

Was it the shootout at the restaurant?

I WANT TO KNOW!

alnorth
09-01-2007, 01:09 PM
OK here's a question I have. I happened to be at a bar recently that was having a trivia night. I wasn't participating but couldn't help but hear the questions being asked over the P.A.

Long story short the guy asks a mathmatical story problem, you know along the lines of, if it costs you $3 to make a shoe and you sell it for $7, and you pay $X amount in rent, wages, blah blah blah, how much do you have to sell to make a profit?

So am I crazy here or is a math question in no way, shape, or form trivia? I couldn't help but mention that to the smarmy little MC prick when he walked past but he didn't seem to get what I was saying. Math has nothing to do with trivia was my point.

Agreed. There could be some math-related trivia questions, but if you have to calculate anything, its not trivia.

Bowser
09-01-2007, 01:09 PM

Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.

Baby Lee
09-01-2007, 01:10 PM
Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.
Go Bowser, it's your birthday.

DenverChief
09-01-2007, 01:19 PM
I got spanked by Eggheaded Trivia Weenies

Sounds hot..... where do I meet these people?