PDA

View Full Version : Chance to see our QBOTF for real...

Coogs
08-29-2007, 10:42 AM
On ESPNU Thursday night at 6:30 PM Central time. So watch him for a half hour before switching over to see the Chiefs/Rams game.

Murray St.-Louisville Preview

Individual Leaders
Louisville Passing
CMP% YDS TD INT
Brohm 63.6 3049 16 5

Louisville is coming off the most successful season in the program's history, and under new coach Steve Kragthorpe, the Cardinals are looking to take the next step.

Tenth-ranked Louisville begins its quest to reach the national title game with its highest preseason ranking ever when it opens 2007 by hosting Murray State on Thursday.

The Cardinals finished a school-best 12-1 last year, capped with their first Big East championship and a 24-13 victory over Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl -- the program's first BCS bowl appearance.

The only blemish on the season was a 28-25 loss to Rutgers on Nov. 9, as Louisville was outscored 14-0 in the second half. The loss cost the Cardinals a possible shot at a national championship.

"We were close last year," said returning starting quarterback Brian Brohm. "You get a little taste of that and you want to come back and try it again and give it your best shot."

Just days after Louisville's Orange Bowl victory, coach Bobby Petrino left for the head coaching job with the Atlanta Falcons and soon after Kragthorpe was hired away from Tulsa.

In Petrino's four seasons coaching the Cardinals, the program rose to national prominence, but never made it to the BCS title game.

Kragthorpe believes Louisville has the talent to contend for the championship this year.

"I told our guys that on August 30th, 119 Division (I-A) teams start the tournament," Kragthorpe said at the team's annual preseason luncheon on Aug. 16. "At the end of it all, there will be two teams playing for the championship. I don't think it's too bold to say we want to be one of those teams."

The Cardinals were ranked 13th in last season's preseason poll, and climbed as high as No. 3 before their loss to the Scarlet Knights. They finished the year ranked sixth.

Louisville had one of the nation's most prolific offenses -- gaining the third-most yards (6,179) and averaging the fifth-most points (37.8) -- and Brohm is back to lead the unit filled with playmakers.

Brohm, who was named to the All-Big East second team, threw for 3,049 yards, 16 touchdowns and five interceptions as a junior, despite missing time with a hand injury. He went 84-of-124 for 1,263 yards, 10 touchdowns and one pick in his final four games.

Brohm is a Heisman Trophy hopeful, and has arguably one of the best receiving duos in the country.

Senior Harry Douglas caught 70 passes for a school-record 1,265 receiving yards and six touchdowns last season, while junior Mario Urrutia had 58 receptions for 973 yards and six TDs.

"Hands down I think we are (the best tandem)," said the 6-foot-6, 228-pound Urrutia. "We just want it so bad, we feel like we're the total package."

Running back Anthony Allen led the Cardinals with 13 rushing touchdowns as a freshman last season, and caught the team's only TD pass in the Orange Bowl.

Louisville has won 18 straight games at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium dating to 2003. Murray State, meanwhile, has lost 11 of its last 12 on the road, and is coming off a 1-10 season.

The Racers played 18 true freshman last season, and they will be very young again this year as they have 73 freshmen and sophomores and just 14 upperclassmen on the team.

"That's how we do it, that's the way we do things," coach Matt Griffin said. "We recruit and develop, recruit and develop. It's a little scary that we're actually younger than we were last year, but the sky is the limit for these kids athletically."

Quarterback Zach Barnard threw for 1,583 yards, 11 touchdowns and 11 interceptions as a freshman last year, but Griffin said the starting job is wide open, with Jeff Ehrhardt and Chris Franklin also battling for playing time.

Sophomore Charlie Jordan ran for a team-high 448 yards, but scored just one of the team's seven rushing touchdowns. The Racers were outscored by an average of 17.4 points last season.

Louisville hasn't faced Murray State since a 68-0 victory on Sept. 8, 1990, and is 10-6 all-time against the Racers.

Chiefnj2
08-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Wow, opening game against a power house like Murray State?? I hope Brohm can handle the 5 minutes of pocket time he'll have on each passing play.

htismaqe
08-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Personally, I'm not big on Brohm.

If we're gonna draft a QB on the first day of the draft, I think I'd rather take a flyer on Kentucky QB Andre Woodson.

pr_capone
08-29-2007, 12:45 PM
I would be happy with Brennan from Hawaii as well. :D

58 TD's 5549yds and 72.6 completion percentage is nothing to sneeze at.

Just has to keep out of trouble is all.

Frosty
08-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Keep dreaming, folks. You know the Chiefs will be playing with Huard or some other cast-off as long as Carl is in charge.

htismaqe
08-29-2007, 12:48 PM
I would be happy with Brennan from Hawaii as well. :D

58 TD's 5549yds and 72.6 completion percentage is nothing to sneeze at.

Just has to keep out of trouble is all.

Actually, I'd rather have Brohm than Brennan.

Brennan plays in an EXTREMELY friendly offense in a 2nd-tier conference. Reminds me of Ty Detmer and the like. I don't think he'll ever be a top-tier NFL QB.

htismaqe
08-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Keep dreaming, folks. You know the Chiefs will be playing with Huard or some other cast-off as long as Carl is in charge.

Sadly, tis true.

Coogs
08-29-2007, 01:40 PM

If we're gonna draft a QB on the first day of the draft, I think I'd rather take a flyer on Kentucky QB Andre Woodson.

But he is not on TV Thursday at 6:30 Central is he?

htismaqe
08-29-2007, 01:48 PM
But he is not on TV Thursday at 6:30 Central is he?

ROFL

RustShack
08-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Too bad we won't be drafting high enough to get either of them :)

htismaqe
08-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Too bad we won't be drafting high enough to get either of them :)

Of course not. Picking 21st is about where we'll be after getting embarrassed in the playoffs.

RustShack
08-29-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm hopeing for at least one playoff win this year, but that might be unrealistic for this year.

htismaqe
08-29-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm hopeing for at least one playoff win this year, but that might be unrealistic for this year.

I'm hoping for an AFC Championship sometime before I have grandkids. I'm not counting on it though.

RustShack
08-29-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm hoping for a Super Bowl win before I have grandkids, good thing I don't have any kids yet.

FloridaMan88
08-29-2007, 02:09 PM

Why would the Chiefs waste their time with a player who is essentially a poor man's Casey Printers? Then again considering how wet you are getting over Brodie Croyle's prospects it is pretty obvious you have an odd obsession with crappy SEC QBs

htismaqe
08-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Why would the Chiefs waste their time with a player who is essentially a poor man's Casey Printers? Then again considering how wet you are getting over Brodie Croyle's prospects it is pretty obvious you have an odd obsession with crappy SEC QBs

ROFL

Do you ever get tired of looking like an idiot?

RustShack
08-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Even if we did draft another QBOTF, he would just sit on the bench.

chiefqueen
08-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Two things............

One, TWC customers don't have ESPNU yet. (I've been reading from avsforum that we're supposed to get ESPNU by tomorrow or Fri. and it will be on ch. 213.)

Two, the Chiefs' game is tomorrow night.

Coogs
08-30-2007, 07:19 AM
Two, the Chiefs' game is tomorrow night.

Not until 7:00. Chance to watch Brohm for a half an hour.

Chiefnj2
08-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Coogs, last night one of the ESPN's showed a Louisville game from last year. Did you catch it?

POND_OF_RED
08-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Darren McFadden runs behind center sometimes....I'd rather have him as our QBOTF

Coogs
08-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Coogs, last night one of the ESPN's showed a Louisville game from last year. Did you catch it?

Nope. had a meeting last night. And tonight my 8th grade daughter has a volleyball game that is an hour and a half drive from home, so I will miss tonights game and most of the Chiefs game as well. But I thought some other Planeteers might enjoy watching Brohm a little bit to start forming their opinions on weather or not he would be worth our 1st round pick next draft.

Personally, I hope Croyle pans out so we can go another direction, but I am not near as optomistic now that he couldn't beat out huard.

LOCOChief
08-30-2007, 11:02 AM

Croyles a hell of a lot better than any QB that's come out of the U in some time now. Probably better than any QB in the future for that shitty program as well.

LOCOChief
08-30-2007, 11:09 AM
It remains to be seen if Chief fans have the patience to develope a QB, I personally don't think we do. I do, but most don't. this thread is a perfect example in my opinion. We have the QB of the future on the roster, but a couple of bad decisions in the preseason and most want to look for another QB like Oh lets say Brian Brohm? thats just crazy talk

Coogs
08-30-2007, 12:19 PM
It remains to be seen if Chief fans have the patience to develope a QB, I personally don't think we do. I do, but most don't. this thread is a perfect example in my opinion. We have the QB of the future on the roster, but a couple of bad decisions in the preseason and most want to look for another QB like Oh lets say Brian Brohm? thats just crazy talk

Oh I have the patients for it. But if you don't let Croyle play, and have a high draft pick next draft, and a franchise QB is setting there, what are you going to do?

htismaqe
08-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Oh I have the patients for it. But if you don't let Croyle play, and have a high draft pick next draft, and a franchise QB is setting there, what are you going to do?

Does it matter? We know what the Chiefs will do.

Coogs
08-30-2007, 12:49 PM

If we have a top 5 pick.... and that could happen... and we have just completed a season with a 35 year old journeyman QB.... and a franchise QB is on the board.... I'm just saying you have to give it a look. Might not happen, but other teams have done it as well. Chargers with Brees and Rivers for one.

HolmeZz
08-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Why would the Chiefs waste their time with a player who is essentially a poor man's Casey Printers?

Casey Printers is a poor man's Casey Printers.

I don't even see how Printers is anything like Woodson. Perhaps you should watch some more football.

LOCOChief
08-30-2007, 12:56 PM

Croyle will play at some point, that's why they drafted him. And I think it's crazy to concede anything before the first snap of the regular season.

LOCOChief
08-30-2007, 12:57 PM

I sure as hell don't, you out to try that shit in vegas

duncan_idaho
08-30-2007, 01:00 PM
Andre Woodson most definitely is not a poor man's Casey Printers... if anything, he's a poor man's Donovan McNabb (if you want to keep making comparisons to other black QBs).

He's mobile, but he uses his mobility to buy time to throw. That's its best use in the NFL.

Woodson has everything you need in an NFL qb... and the competition level definitely is much higher than Printers ever had...

Brock
08-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Uh, rebuild the offensive line.

Coogs
08-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Croyle will play at some point, that's why they drafted him. And I think it's crazy to concede anything before the first snap of the regular season.

I'm not conceeding anything. But like I said, if we have a high draft pick next year and a franchise QB is on the board... there is going to be a tough decision to be made. Like Brock said, we need O-line as well.

Anyway, you have a chance to watch Brohm play tonight. Choice is yours, take it or leave it.

Coogs
08-31-2007, 07:15 AM
Even though it was only Murry State, looks like Brhom had a nice game...

Brohm, No. 10 Cardinals hand new coach easy victory
Aug. 30, 2007
CBSSports.com wire reports

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- With Brian Brohm going deep early and often, Steve Kragthorpe's debut as Louisville coach looked awfully familiar.

Playing with the kind of offensive precision that became the program's trademark under former coach Bobby Petrino, Louisville blasted overmatched Murray State 73-10 on Thursday night.

Brohm threw for 375 yards and four touchdowns in just over a half of work, and the Cardinals (1-0) rolled up 655 yards of total offense against the Racers (0-1). Murray State, a member of the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA), received $300,000 to drive four hours from their campus in southwestern Kentucky to serve as fodder for Kragthorpe, who was hired in January after Petrino bolted to the NFL.

"It's been a long seven or eight months," Kragthorpe said. "It was nice to get out there going again. I thought we were pretty clean for the most part."

Pretty crisp too. Brohm needed all of one play to find the end zone, hitting Harry Douglas for a 44-yard touchdown pass on Louisville's first offensive play of the season.

"A lot of people thought we were going to have a drop-off after we swapped coaches," Douglas said. "A lot of people had doubts, but we picked up where we left off last year."

Brohm completed 16 of 21 passes, many of them to receivers who had little trouble finding open spaces against Murray State's inexperienced defense.

"We executed well on offense," Brohm said. "We did a lot of things the right way, but we've still got a lot of room for improvement."

Maybe, though it will be hard for the Cardinals to top the ease with which they dispatched the Racers. Louisville scored on all but one possession, and the crowd booed when Kragthorpe opted to run the clock out in the final minute with the ball deep in Racer territory.

"We wanted to finish, scoring every time we had the ball," Douglas said.

Brohm was hardly the lone offensive star. Douglas finished with five receptions for 151 yards and two touchdowns. Tight end Gary Barnidge had four receptions for 46 yards and two scores, running back Sergio Spencer rushed for 60 yards and two touchdowns and Trent Guy added a 54-yard punt return for a score.

By the time Brohm put a towel over his shoulder 20 seconds into the second half, the Cardinals led 56-10. It didn't get much better for the Racers.

Though they were able to move the ball early against Louisville's revamped defense -- even tying the game at 7-all in the first quarter on a 6-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Jeff Ehrhardt to Derrick Townsel -- competitiveness would be fleeting against a team determined to start the Kragthorpe era with a bang.

Louisville's 73 points were the most since it scored 79 against Ogden in 1926 and extended the Cardinals' home winning streak to 19, the second-longest in the country behind USC.

Still, the Cardinals weren't perfect. The defense allowed the Racers to hold the ball for long stretches and missed several tackles. Kragthorpe wasn't asking for perfection, just a basic grasp of his system.

The early returns were promising.

Murray State actually won the time of possession battle, though the Cardinals exchanged quantity for quality. Louisville ate up yards in large chunks, averaging 10.2 yards per play.

"Brian was very sharp tonight. He's a surgeon out there," Kragthorpe said. "He gets us in the right play and he was very sharp from a mental standpoint, in total command."

Ehrhardt threw for 88 yards and a touchdown for the Racers, and Paul McKinnis ran for 72 yards for Murray State, which is coming off a 1-10 season and has 72 underclassmen on its roster.

"We saw speed that we aren't going to see the rest of the year," Racers coach Matt Griffin said. "What I wanted to see was our kids come into this environment and compete and they did that."

Chiefnj2
08-31-2007, 07:47 AM
Even though it was only Murry State, looks like Brhom had a nice game...

I was flipping between the Rutgers and Louisville game. They were stat padding games. Nothing more, nothing less. Brohm's a good prospect but the level of competition was an absolute joke.

htismaqe
08-31-2007, 08:19 AM
Casey Printers is a poor man's Casey Printers.

I don't even see how Printers is anything like Woodson. Perhaps you should watch some more football.

Don't bother.

He's a "U" fan.

htismaqe
08-31-2007, 08:19 AM
I sure as hell don't, you out to try that shit in vegas

They're not gonna draft a QB next year. They're gonna go on about Croyle for the entire offseason and then start Huard when the time comes.

htismaqe
08-31-2007, 08:20 AM
I was flipping between the Rutgers and Louisville game. They were stat padding games. Nothing more, nothing less. Brohm's a good prospect but the level of competition was an absolute joke.

That's the knock on Brohm. Fortunately, the conference as a whole has improved in recent years, but Brohm just isn't facing top competition week-in and week-out.

HemiEd
08-31-2007, 08:33 AM
I'm hoping for an AFC Championship sometime before I have grandkids. I'm not counting on it though.

Keep hoping, that is what was hoping for when I started watching the Chiefs regularly as a newlywed. I now have a teenage grandson from my YOUNGEST daughter.
I may be in a nursing home wearing depends before it happens. :banghead:

htismaqe
08-31-2007, 08:35 AM
Keep hoping, that is what was hoping for when I started watching the Chiefs regularly as a newlywed. I now have a teenage grandson from my YOUNGEST daughter.
I may be in a nursing home wearing depends before it happens. :banghead:

Sad, isn't it?

HemiEd
08-31-2007, 08:44 AM
Sad, isn't it?

It sure is, for the first time EVER, I am not excited about the season starting.
The last time this team was a "laughing stock", was the Marv Levy WingedT offense year.
This year, I am afraid of the same scenerio.
The crap has already been flying around here from the Bear fans.

Oh well, I guess it is fair. I have given them enough shit over the years about Rashaan Salaam, Curtis Enis, Cade Mcknown, etc. etc. :D

htismaqe
08-31-2007, 08:46 AM
It sure is, for the first time EVER, I am not excited about the season starting.
The last time this team was a "laughing stock", was the Marv Levy WingedT offense year.
This year, I am afraid of the same scenerio.
The crap has already been flying around here from the Bear fans.

Oh well, I guess it is fair. I have given them enough shit over the years about Rashaan Salaam, Curtis Enis, Cade Mcknown, etc. etc. :D

"Laughing stock" is the thing.

When I heard Kevin Harlan say that other teams and GM's have told him the Chiefs are "embarrassing themselves", it really hit me.

HemiEd
08-31-2007, 08:53 AM
"Laughing stock" is the thing.

When I heard Kevin Harlan say that other teams and GM's have told him the Chiefs are "embarrassing themselves", it really hit me.

Since Herm was hired, I have tried and tried to be positive. But he keeps saying and doing things, driven by his own ego, that cause concern.

I don't care how many times we try and justify it, there is no ****ing way to rationalize what he has done to the offense.

1st to embarrassing. They shouldn't broadcast the games live this year, we need HBO to edit them prior to showing them.

htismaqe
08-31-2007, 08:54 AM
Since Herm was hired, I have tried and tried to be positive. But he keeps saying and doing things, driven by his own ego, that cause concern.

I don't care how many times we try and justify it, there is no ****ing way to rationalize what he has done to the offense.

1st to embarrassing.

Same here. I forced myself to give him a chance - I didn't like the hire, but as fan, I wasn't gonna let it ruin my love of the team.

Well, he's done just that.

dj56dt58
08-31-2007, 08:55 AM
Wow, opening game against a power house like Murray State?? I hope Brohm can handle the 5 minutes of pocket time he'll have on each passing play.
Can we just draft his offensive line instead?

HemiEd
08-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Same here. I forced myself to give him a chance - I didn't like the hire, but as fan, I wasn't gonna let it ruin my love of the team.

Well, he's done just that.

Over the years, I have seen a couple of Chiefs coaches lose the team. I was convinced Herm had lost the team after that playoff game.
HBO has dressed him up so well, that I was impressed with his leadership after the first episode.
Hopefully the regular season reflects what I saw on HBO, and not the playoff game or preseason games.