PDA

View Full Version : CP fishermen question. Any big river cat fishers?

Hammock Parties
08-29-2007, 01:26 PM
ok, as i was watching the fishing videos, i got teary eyed because i havent had a chance to fish in the past 2 years. This is no small feat for me, because my life had been all about fishing, mostly big river big blues, flat heads and such. I was wondering how many, if any, planeteers have done any big river fishing in their lives. Any good stories? Whats the biggest one you ever caught?

htismaqe
08-29-2007, 01:27 PM
We don't have flatheads up here like they get further south.

The biggest I've ever caught was 29 lbs. My brother's BiL caught a 51-pounder out of the Grand River down by Pattonsburg MO.

Scaga
08-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Not a big river guy, but we do like to set limb lines at the far end of our local lake. In 20+ years doing it, it's always been 2-5 lb catfish....that is until last weekend. Caught our first "big" flathead down there in all our years setting the lines. Weighed in at 36 lbs.

Not much of a story, but it's the best one I can come up with.

We're not serious fishermen, but we are serious drinkers.

Hammock Parties
08-29-2007, 01:31 PM
We don't have flatheads up here like they get further south.

The biggest I've ever caught was 29 lbs. My brother's BiL caught a 51-pounder out of the Grand River down by Pattonsburg MO.

my wife has recently loosened the reins on me, so ive been looking places for some good ol river fishin, so where is pattonsburg at? I know here in MO the river fishing is really good.

biggest ive ever caught was about 30lb, but was with someone that brought in a 69lb blue.

Im in columbia, anybody know of a good place to go big cat fishing thats within 50 miles from here?

Hammock Parties
08-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Not a big river guy, but we do like to set limb lines at the far end of our local lake. In 20+ years doing it, it's always been 2-5 lb catfish....that is until last weekend. Caught our first "big" flathead down there in all our years setting the lines. Weighed in at 36 lbs.

Not much of a story, but it's the best one I can come up with.

We're not serious fishermen, but we are serious drinkers.

what lake ya live at? I havent really had much luck lake catfishin.

El Jefe
08-29-2007, 01:33 PM
You want big Cats fish the Ohio River man, up here a 50lb catfish is normal. I havent fished solely on the big rivers for cats. I fish for bass mainly, also because I dont have a boat LOL.

htismaqe
08-29-2007, 01:33 PM
my wife has recently loosened the reins on me, so ive been looking places for some good ol river fishin, so where is pattonsburg at? I know here in MO the river fishing is really good.

biggest ive ever caught was about 30lb, but was with someone that brought in a 69lb blue.

Im in columbia, anybody know of a good place to go big cat fishing thats within 50 miles from here?

Pattonsburg is north of KC about an hour or so.

Scaga
08-29-2007, 01:34 PM
what lake ya live at? I havent really had much luck lake catfishin.

I live in a little town just outside Wichita (Augusta).
You should have seen the look on the kids (6, 12, 12) faces when we pulled that sucker in the boat....PRICELESS.

Hammock Parties
08-29-2007, 01:39 PM
I live in a little town just outside Wichita (Augusta).
You should have seen the look on the kids (6, 12, 12) faces when we pulled that sucker in the boat....PRICELESS.

man, i could only imagine. i never was able to fish at that age, cause my parents werent fishers

El Jefe
08-29-2007, 01:40 PM
man, i could only imagine. i never was able to fish at that age, cause my parents werent fishers

Same here didnt even start really fishing till about 2 years ago.

allen_kcCard
08-29-2007, 01:45 PM
I haven't been in years and when I did got it was before I was in high school.

On the river we caught I remember a 40 pound blue, but there were several that were close in size. Personally I didn't typically like the big blues though as the fillets always seem to be slimey and nasty tasting. I'd rather have a boat full of flatheads.

We also caught a freshwater eel once, which was freaky, and a paddlefish, which was freaking huge, but we didn't get it weighed since they are protected and we tossed it back.

We also caught a lot on cut-offs, which I'm not sure if that is some kind of official name for it, but it is essentially the big trench on the backside of levies built in the bottoms. Years later they are full of water and stocked by fisherman over the years.

Anyway, we put bank poles in the cut-offs which made catching big cats a lot of fun. When you really have a good one there you know it before you can even see the pole sometimes. I remember once we were around the bend from a pole checking the line and saw waves and hears splashing. We worked our way closer and saw a pole going nuts, from the tip dipping down into the water one second and then going calm and pulling back up to all the sudden going nuts again with a huge swirl. Bad thing on the cut-offs was the turtles and gars though.

Hammock Parties
08-29-2007, 02:11 PM
I haven't been in years and when I did got it was before I was in high school.

On the river we caught I remember a 40 pound blue, but there were several that were close in size. Personally I didn't typically like the big blues though as the fillets always seem to be slimey and nasty tasting. I'd rather have a boat full of flatheads.

We also caught a freshwater eel once, which was freaky, and a paddlefish, which was freaking huge, but we didn't get it weighed since they are protected and we tossed it back.

We also caught a lot on cut-offs, which I'm not sure if that is some kind of official name for it, but it is essentially the big trench on the backside of levies built in the bottoms. Years later they are full of water and stocked by fisherman over the years.

Anyway, we put bank poles in the cut-offs which made catching big cats a lot of fun. When you really have a good one there you know it before you can even see the pole sometimes. I remember once we were around the bend from a pole checking the line and saw waves and hears splashing. We worked our way closer and saw a pole going nuts, from the tip dipping down into the water one second and then going calm and pulling back up to all the sudden going nuts again with a huge swirl. Bad thing on the cut-offs was the turtles and gars though.

cut-offs? you talking about an area, or the bait used?

Man, gar and snappers totaly mess everything up, making for a very unfun fishing trip. Also, i only use poles when river fishing because it just adds to the fun with all the fighting ya gotta do.

where did u do your fishing at?

Radar Chief
08-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Motorcycle Drag Racing Buddy caught a 65# flat head on trotline this last spring. They’ve been pretty screwed up on their spawn cycle since the Neosho flooded though. Fishing hasn’t been quite right since.

Marlboro_Chief
08-29-2007, 04:00 PM
I am going to have a pot full of steamed catfish breaded with the finest Canjun ingredients at the Oakland rivalry game this year.

HonestChieffan
08-29-2007, 04:13 PM
steamed n breaded sounds yucky what am i missing