PDA

View Full Version : Schoolkids and Fundraising

teedubya
08-29-2007, 03:12 PM
My son started kindergarten last Wednesday... one week later, they have given him several catalogs of stuff in which to sell from.

There are prizes attached to it, etc.

One week into his school life and he is hocking shit for the school? Already?

Is this is a fancy way around Child Labor laws? Have them do work for free, but give them a 'prize'.

WTF

Mr. Flopnuts
08-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Just remember to vote YES on the next 100m dollar bond the district needs.

chasedude
08-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Just remember to vote YES on the next 100m dollar bond the district needs.

Yep, that's the only way to keep those little rug rats from knocking on my door.

htismaqe
08-29-2007, 03:18 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=168766

What a crock. My daughter started to kindergarten and they started the fundraiser on her FIRST DAY.

If that wasn't bad enough, my wife said they're starting ANOTHER ONE next Monday. We turn in the results of the first one on FRIDAY.

HonestChieffan
08-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Just say no

Redrum_69
08-29-2007, 03:21 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=168766

What a crock. My daughter started to kindergarten and they started the fundraiser on her FIRST DAY.

If that wasn't bad enough, my wife said they're starting ANOTHER ONE next Monday. We turn in the results of the first one on FRIDAY.

See gochiefs...if hthismaqe can procreate...then someday you may find someone as well instead of nick athan

Demonpenz
08-29-2007, 03:22 PM
At work they give away candy sometimes I ususally steal it off of peoples cubes then print off a googled image of "girls softball" Slap it on a jug and put the candy and jug in the break room. I ususally get enough money to buy a 6 pack

htismaqe
08-29-2007, 03:23 PM
See gochiefs...if hthismaqe can procreate...then someday you may find someone as well instead of nick athan

These are just the kids I claim.

I mean I haven't quite done as well as Scott Baio, but...

Hydrae
08-29-2007, 03:26 PM
It cost me $325 just to have my son in the band this year. That is before the fund raisers (which indeed have already started) including selling the coupon books and a car wash. I guess they need to be able to afford to pay for the gas for the tractor trailer the school owns for carrying the band equipment to games and the like.

I know I am an old fart but I don't remember my folks having to pay for me to be in band. Of course we didn't have a nice rig to carry our stuff and only had 1 band director (I believe it is either 3 or 4 here at this school). I also don't remember having to spend 8 hours a day practicing marching for a month before school started either. When I asked the director about all this he just said that the school board and the community have high expectations. My personal high expectations are for my kids to get an education. Band and music have their place but still....

Logical
08-29-2007, 03:27 PM
My son started kindergarten last Wednesday... one week later, they have given him several catalogs of stuff in which to sell from.

Is this is a fancy way around Child Labor laws? Have them do work for free, but give them a 'prize'.

WTF

Schools have trouble with funds so they have the kids do fundraising activities. It is a scam that works because they know the parents will want their child to not be left behind the other students in their success. Hey get used to it you got at least 12 more years of it.

htismaqe
08-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Schools have trouble with funds so they have the kids do fundraising activities. It is a scam that works because they know the parents will want their child to not be left behind the other students in their success. Hey get used to it you got at least 12 more years of it.

Precisely why I'm considering private school.

If I'm gonna pay taxes AND still have to pay out of my pocket, I'm gonna at least make sure they get a real education...

Bugeater
08-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Elementary school was ridiculous, it seemed like there was something every damn month. Now that he's in middle school it's not so bad. One of my friends has kids in another district, and every once in a while I'll receive something from him in the mail that's a school fundraiser. They actually had the kids stuffing envelopes during school and sending the shit to their parents' friends. Just unbelieveable.

penguinz
08-29-2007, 03:32 PM

WTFI see you are in LS also. Which school? My little girl started kindergarten at PrarieView. I have been peddling these damn coupon books to all my coworkers all day long. Now I am going to have to spend a whole paycheck on girl scout cookies when they come around.

kepp
08-29-2007, 03:36 PM

If I'm gonna pay taxes AND still have to pay out of my pocket, I'm gonna at least make sure they get a real education...
I have my daughter in a private school for now and they do the same crap. Every other week she gets sent home with a note about "donate for this" and "remember to sell that". It's become a joke between my wife and I - whenever we get anything from them I hide my wallet.

htismaqe
08-29-2007, 03:38 PM
I have my daughter in a private school for now and they do the same crap. Every other week she gets sent home with a note about "donate for this" and "remember to sell that". It's become a joke between my wife and I - whenever we get anything from them I hide my wallet.

Dammit.

kepp
08-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Dammit.
I know. In my mind I'm saying, "I'm paying 'tuition' why should we need to do all this other stuff?" I'm not sure if all private schools do that, but some do.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-29-2007, 04:06 PM
As a society, we have perfected the art of begging for money in the name of children. WTF am I talking about? We've perfected the art of getting whatever the **** we want in the name of children.

Hydrae
08-29-2007, 04:19 PM
As a society, we have perfected the art of begging for money in the name of children. WTF am I talking about? We've perfected the art of getting whatever the **** we want in the name of children.

Come on, it is not just the kids. I don't know about elsewhere but around here we get the fire fighters standing on the street corners begging from the passing cars, holding out their boots for donations. Frickin' ridiculous if you ask me.

dtebbe
08-29-2007, 04:32 PM
We got things on the 2nd day of school. I wish we could just write a $200 check to the PTO at the beginning of the year and be done with it....

DT

BigRedChief
08-29-2007, 06:20 PM

WTF
Get used to it. They will have candy to sell for baseball, ballet club and trash bags for school fundraisers etc.

They are not suppose to be selling door to door but the kid sees the bike as the prize and wants to go sell more.

BigRedChief
08-29-2007, 06:23 PM
I see you are in LS also. Which school? My little girl started kindergarten at PrarieView.
My wifes a teacher at Prarie View elementary.

BigRedChief
08-29-2007, 06:25 PM
It cost me $325 just to have my son in the band this year. That is before the fund raisers (which indeed have already started) including selling the coupon books and a car wash. I guess they need to be able to afford to pay for the gas for the tractor trailer the school owns for carrying the band equipment to games and the like.
Band is alot cheaper than competitive baseball. My little league baseball team goes through an average of $7,000 a summer in expenses.

teedubya
08-29-2007, 07:31 PM
teaching our kids to be whores. great.

BucEyedPea
08-29-2007, 10:06 PM

Geezus! I didn't even know public schools had fundraisers. The nerve!

It's a LOT worse in private schools, only they ask the parents to do most of it.
Private schools have fundraisers ALL the time. My sister's kids private school had her nearly working full time for free. It was constant.

There's one main one per year at my kid's but they tell you about it before you enroll and ask that you participate. I'd rather donate, because I can get the tax write-off then have a big tuition increase eventhough they go up every year.

Then they have smaller fundraisers during the year like attending a silent auction, buy stuff at certain places online where the school can get credit. I only do the main one, but donate free help sometimes through my work or there. I just hate buying a lot of junk I don't need.

BucEyedPea
08-29-2007, 10:08 PM
teaching our kids to be whores. great.
Kindergarden is much too young for this imo.

teedubya
08-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Kindergarten is much too young for this imo.

That is my thought. I remember doing this at 4th grade. I'm cool with it then, but right at the beginning of school year? As a kindergartener? In his first week?

WTF

We spent billions on foreign wars and shit, and oil companies make billions, and yet our schools have to whore the kids out to make extra money for budgets.

What a ****ed up concept.

RJ
08-29-2007, 11:09 PM
My daughter is four and attends preschool three days a week, less holidays and such. This costs about $450 a month. I was surprised after we enrolled her to see a candy bar fund raiser. I thought the tuition probably raised plenty of funds. The candy bars were to be sold for $1 each and they wanted to give me a box of 50. I didn't feel like selling them so I gave them $50 and my wife and I handed out the candy bars to friends. It would be easier to just pay another $5 a month tuition.

Discuss Thrower
08-30-2007, 12:13 AM

Sorry, it's late and I just noticed this post. But we did fund raising of this sort up until my sophomore year of High School at Catholic schools. I think we may have done it twice a year once perhaps.

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2007, 01:05 AM
My daughter is four and attends preschool three days a week, less holidays and such. This costs about $450 a month. I was surprised after we enrolled her to see a candy bar fund raiser. I thought the tuition probably raised plenty of funds. The candy bars were to be sold for $1 each and they wanted to give me a box of 50. I didn't feel like selling them so I gave them $50 and my wife and I handed out the candy bars to friends. It would be easier to just pay another $5 a month tuition.

$450 a month? $450 a month? I couldn't get daycare in my home for $450 a week, let alone an actual pre-school

And I don't have children! (yet)

Lzen
08-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Elementary school was ridiculous, it seemed like there was something every damn month. Now that he's in middle school it's not so bad. One of my friends has kids in another district, and every once in a while I'll receive something from him in the mail that's a school fundraiser. They actually had the kids stuffing envelopes during school and sending the shit to their parents' friends. Just unbelieveable.

That is just wrong. School time should be for education. I hate that crap. Try having a kid in football and having to do all of those fund raisers as well as school fund raisers. I got sick of it.

Lzen
08-30-2007, 08:08 AM
Get used to it. They will have candy to sell for baseball, ballet club and trash bags for school fundraisers etc.

We like it when they sell those big, thick, yellow trash bags. They are great for heavy duty stuff like yard and garage waste.

patteeu
08-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Get used to it. I layed down the law at the very beginning and told my kids they shouldn't ever expect to earn those incentive gifts (at least not until they are old enough to go out on their own to do their own selling). I let them sell to my parents and that's about it. I don't want them going around and hitting up all the neighbors two or three (or more) times a year. When I want to donate to the school, I do it directly (supplies for my kids teachers, donations to PTO, etc.) and when my kids want to get involved in activities that have fundraising commitments I just write a check instead of asking coworkers, friends, and neighbors to finance my kid's activities. It's out of control.

PS My problem is with the cold call type fundraising drives (e.g. selling candles or candy bars door to door). I don't have nearly as much problem with having a car wash or something along those lines where people can pull in if they want to without feeling pressured.

Luzap
08-30-2007, 09:39 AM
I don't doubt that our schools (especially the public one's) can mess up anything, but there's not one post here about the obvious benefit.

Kids need to learn how to sell. Kindergarten may be a little young, but our schools don't teach kids about finance, leadership, or salesmanship ~ some of the most critical life skills to success.

Try looking more at what benefit the kids can get out of it and less at how it inconveniences you.

Luz
i can't wait ~ someone's going to claim sales skills aren't essential to life !!!...

Saulbadguy
08-30-2007, 09:49 AM
In middle school we had to sell candy bars. I didn't feel like it so I just ate my box of candy bars. The school wasn't too happy when I didn't have the $30 to cover the box, so they called my parents. My parents weren't too happy with me.

kepp
08-30-2007, 09:52 AM
I don't doubt that our schools (especially the public one's) can mess up anything, but there's not one post here about the obvious benefit.

Kids need to learn how to sell. Kindergarten may be a little young, but our schools don't teach kids about finance, leadership, or salesmanship ~ some of the most critical life skills to success.

Try looking more at what benefit the kids can get out of it and less at how it inconveniences you.

Luz
i can't wait ~ someone's going to claim sales skills aren't essential to life !!!...
http://www.jasouthflorida.org/clientuploads/Logos/JAthirdlogo.JPG

kepp
08-30-2007, 09:54 AM
In middle school we had to sell candy bars. I didn't feel like it so I just ate my box of candy bars. The school wasn't too happy when I didn't have the $30 to cover the box, so they called my parents. My parents weren't too happy with me.
What did they expect to happen when they gave a 12 year old a box of candy bars?

We used to have to sell magazine subscriptions when I was in middle school band. Talk about suckage. I lived in the country and had to walk miles up and down hilly gravel roads to try to sell to our neighbors. And that was at the same time as the three other band members on the same road did it. I never quite reached the quota.

Skip Towne
08-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Sales skills aren't essential to life.

Saulbadguy
08-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Sales skills aren't essential to life.
Yep. The world needs people to clean up shit after the rest of us.

teedubya
08-30-2007, 10:10 AM

Luz

I don't dispute that. Its just that kindergarten, first week, seems a bit ridiculous.

BigRedChief
08-30-2007, 10:19 AM
We like it when they sell those big, thick, yellow trash bags. They are great for heavy duty stuff like yard and garage waste.
Best damn garbage bags evar.

HonestChieffan
08-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Best damn garbage bags evar.

The yellow ones are great and last year they had gigantic blue ones of same material

htismaqe
08-30-2007, 10:27 AM

Luz

Sorry, but that's bullshit.

20% of American GRADUATES can't find the US on a world map.

We spend TOO MUCH time teaching them "life skills" instead of teaching them to THINK FOR THEMSELVES.

Having KINDERGARTNERS start fundraisers, on the FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, no less, is just another step in making nice little corporate lemmings out of them...

PastorMikH
08-30-2007, 10:33 AM
I guess our kids don't have it so bad. The older kids have fundraisers for band, but that's about it. Those fundraisers go for trips and such that the kids go on.

The elementary schools as parents for donations and help with parties and such so the kids don't have to do fundraising. 'Course our school had a Supt that the entire community was behind that whenever he went to the community with a need, the community usually passed whatever tax increase that was needed which helps a lot.

PastorMikH
08-30-2007, 10:35 AM
One thing that has got me is our daughter in HS had to take multiple boxes of kleenex for several classes she has.

BucEyedPea
08-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Having KINDERGARTNERS start fundraisers, on the FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, no less, is just another step in making nice little corporate lemmings out of them...
:thumb:

I would just refuse and say I pay taxes. They can't kick you out right?
That'd be what I'd do.

memyselfI
08-30-2007, 11:35 AM
I ranted on the other thread about this topic...

having just spent more money than I would ever spend on CRAP to help satisfy my son's 'quota' for his HS choir fundraiser. Now, I'm also supposed to join their 'booster club' which I would really like to do. But that $50 I just spent on CRAP is coming out of the funds I have to donate to the boosters. They are going to get less than I would have given because I spent so much money on the fundraiser. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

My son attends a wealthy school so I'm sure many people don't think it's a problem to fork over another $50 for boosters. But that is in addition to the $300 we just forked over for soccer (other son) and $300 we forked over for school fees for two kids (public school) and the money spent on school supplies and clothes which totaled at least $200-300.00 including boxes of Kleenex.

Why school administrators think parents have any extra money the first day of school is beyond me. I know they want to get the first one out of the way because they don't want to do one too close to Christmas but the first day of school...

ridiculous. I guess I shouldn't complain though. My son's elementary school banned them. I've only had to deal with them for two years now. Still, the elementary school wants a sizeable donation because they don't do fundraisers. I do like that idea though because, unlike the fundraisers, they get 100% of what I 'donate'.