PDA

View Full Version : Denver or San Antonio?

Darien25
08-30-2007, 06:48 AM
I have a chance to escape from Oklahoma but I cannot decide which location is best for my family. I have a job offer from each location and after I factor in cost of living, taxes, etc... the bottom line is nearly equal so pay is not a determining factor. I would appreciate any recommendations or advice that anyone has to offer, especially on schools and entertainment (I have three boys in elementary and junior high school). I'm working night shift this week and will be hitting the sack after I launch this thread.

chief husker
08-30-2007, 07:17 AM
Except for the Broncos, Denver would be my choice. 300 days of sunshine a year. World class skiing. Incredible year round activities for the family. Solid economy and social scene. You get to see the Chiefs play once a year and the Rockies are fun to watch.

DenverChief
08-30-2007, 07:28 AM
Denver but I'm biased ...who would want to live in Texas?

Rooster
08-30-2007, 07:30 AM
All things being equal, money etc...., I would go with Denver. That's just me though.

Don't forget to ask the wife what she wants too. :)

HonestChieffan
08-30-2007, 07:32 AM
I lived in Denver and in a word, unless you are on vacation, the neat parts wear off darn quick. Taxes are horrendous...check out property tax and you will faint, The traffic...my God...you need a full day to go anywhere to anything.

SA...way cool place to visit, great smaller areas outside of there....no such thing in Colorado...the front range is a metroplex from Ft Collins to the springs and anyplace new or in outlying areas is huge expensive.

Deberg_1990
08-30-2007, 08:14 AM
PM me Darien25 if you want to know more about San Antonio. I live here.

boogblaster
08-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Dungver, damn I wished you had another choice besides San Mexiconio ....

nychief
08-30-2007, 08:30 AM
have been to both cities in the last year for vacation...SA is pretty cool - hot as balls - but you have lots of water spots and great fishing - plus an hour away from Austin - which is another great town. Hope you like Mexican food. Taco Taco cafe...

Denver is nice too, a little Ted Haggard for my taste. I cringe when I see Bronco gear - which you see a LOT of. But hey the mountains are right there - sunny all the time - and SNOW...lots and lots of snow...

my uninformed .02

Chest Rockwell
08-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Denver but I'm biased ...who would want to live in Texas?

What he said. It seems like half of Texas ends up here anyway, so you may as well just skip a move and head straight in.

Redrum_69
08-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Move to Australia

Mile High Mania
08-30-2007, 09:09 AM
If the outdoors, nightlife, weather are a factor - DENVER.

Great mexican food - SA.

Archie F. Swin
08-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Do you not like metro Tulsa? people 'round here say "Tulsa's a nice place to live"

HypnotizedMonkey
08-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Denver looks way more appealing than SA .. i live about 2 hours away from SA .. people there can't drive and spurs fans are all a$$holes :) ... but then again, so are donks fans.

Archie F. Swin
08-30-2007, 09:29 AM
No matter which you choose, it wont be as easy to be a Chiefs fan compared to where you are.

StcChief
08-30-2007, 09:35 AM
No State tax in Texas if that's a factor

bishop_74
08-30-2007, 09:38 AM
I just moved to Denver from Austin and all I can say is "BLECH!!!!!" They have no good food and not much to do. At least in San Antonio you are an hour away from the greatest city in the US... Austin :). SA isn't the greatest, but the Austin/San Antonio area has everything Denver has plus culture, great places to eat, and lots more things to do. Denver is just like Kansas City with more outdoor things to do, but it definately doesn't outweigh the things to do in Central Texas. I can't even find a lake to go to within an hour of this place. If you enjoy culture, diversity, great food, and a plethora of things to do... you should go to San Antonio.

HonestChieffan
08-30-2007, 09:40 AM
KC is like Denver? What????

You deserve to live in Denver if you think that.

bishop_74
08-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Let me sum it up....

Texas
http://www.grooveefortune.com/beaubeen/rollerderby/switched111403/DSCF7773.JPG

Denver

http://www.thenewsoundoftrash.com/content/binary/mullet1.jpg

You decide

melbar
08-30-2007, 09:45 AM
A good friend lives in Austin, and another was in SA while training for the Marines. Austin has a great music scene and culture. SA is dificult job wise if anything were to ever happen. Surrounding areas of Denver are beautifull. Wouldnt live "in the city" with either choice.

HypnotizedMonkey
08-30-2007, 09:45 AM
At least in San Antonio you are an hour away from the greatest city in the US... Austin :).

This is true! Gotta love Austin.

Archie F. Swin
08-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Do like Mexicans? A lot of Mexicans?

1ChiefsDan
08-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Let me sum it up....

Texas
http://www.grooveefortune.com/beaubeen/rollerderby/switched111403/DSCF7773.JPG

Denver

http://www.thenewsoundoftrash.com/content/binary/mullet1.jpg

You decide

God - what a bunch of fat ugly women. If that is the best argument for moving to the United State of Mexico - go Denver.

alanm
08-30-2007, 09:58 AM
No State tax in Texas if that's a factor
Denver is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. TOO expensive. :shake:

alanm
08-30-2007, 10:05 AM
have been to both cities in the last year for vacation...SA is pretty cool - hot as balls - but you have lots of water spots and great fishing - plus an hour away from Austin - which is another great town. Hope you like Mexican food. Taco Taco cafe...

Denver is nice too, a little Ted Haggard for my taste. I cringe when I see Bronco gear - which you see a LOT of. But hey the mountains are right there - sunny all the time - and SNOW...lots and lots of snow...

my uninformed .02
That's actually kind of a misconception about the snow. Sure they can have quite a few storms with lots of snow on the ground but generally during the winter the temps get into the 40's and 50's during the day and all the snow is gone shortly thereafter. Hell, it's not uncommon to see temps in the 60's and 70's in January.

alanm
08-30-2007, 10:10 AM
I just moved to Denver from Austin and all I can say is "BLECH!!!!!" They have no good food and not much to do. At least in San Antonio you are an hour away from the greatest city in the US... Austin :). SA isn't the greatest, but the Austin/San Antonio area has everything Denver has plus culture, great places to eat, and lots more things to do. Denver is just like Kansas City with more outdoor things to do, but it definately doesn't outweigh the things to do in Central Texas. I can't even find a lake to go to within an hour of this place. If you enjoy culture, diversity, great food, and a plethora of things to do... you should go to San Antonio.
Then you haven't been getting out much.

bishop_74
08-30-2007, 10:17 AM
God - what a bunch of fat ugly women. If that is the best argument for moving to the United State of Mexico - go Denver.

HAHA! Thats kind of what I am talking about. You made my point. It's not about how pretty the people are, it's about the diversity of the people, what they have to offer, and HOW THE PEOPLE EMBRACE THIS DIVERSITY.

Those are the Texas roller girls. Yeah, they are a little rough... but it is what makes Texas great! You go on with your narcissistic self though. :p

UL Washington
08-30-2007, 10:25 AM

Diversity equals what? 75% Mexican?

Jilly
08-30-2007, 10:28 AM
San Antonio is a beautiful city.

For me, it would all come down to weather.... San Antonio is freaking hot and way more humid. And well Denver has more of a variety. Texas doesnt have seasons so much as drastic changes from cold to hot... in Denver you'd get the fall colors, the snow in the winter, a longer spring... So, i would think it would boil down to that...

DaFace
08-30-2007, 10:28 AM
That's actually kind of a misconception about the snow. Sure they can have quite a few storms with lots of snow on the ground but generally during the winter the temps get into the 40's and 50's during the day and all the snow is gone shortly thereafter. Hell, it's not uncommon to see temps in the 60's and 70's in January.

True, though we had snow on the ground here for three months after last December's blizzard. I'm told that's rare, though.

NUMBER7
08-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Denver...no contest. Just don't convert to a Donk.

Donger
08-30-2007, 11:20 AM
True, though we had snow on the ground here for three months after last December's blizzard. I'm told that's rare, though.

It isn't. We are all lying to noobs. Last year was nothing.

DenverChief
08-30-2007, 05:47 PM

:hmmm:
Gross Reservoir
Cherry Creek Reservoir
Chatfield Reservoir
Sloans Lake
Standley Lake

Rivers/Streams:
South Boulder Creek
Clear Creek
Boulder Creek

All offer Fishing and a few of them Kayaking and boating

Must not be looking very hard

As far as restaurants go
The Chop House - Steak and taters
Maggianos - Italian
The Samba Room - best CUBAN food you will ever eat
Rialto Cafe -
Rodizio Grill - BBQ Brazilian style
Palomino - euro bistro

LOOK HARDER!

Bugeater
08-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Denver. It's too ****ing hot in Texas.

Iowanian
08-30-2007, 06:32 PM
The Mexican population is about the same in both cities.....so learn espanol' either way.

Do you like your burrito cart tacos with a warm, riverfront view, or a mountain smog-fog view?

Rain Man
08-30-2007, 07:07 PM
I've never lived in San Antonio, but I've been there, and I lived in Austin for a couple of years.

There's no contest. Denver is a great place to live. We don't have humidity, we don't have fleas and roaches, and we don't have dangerous slums. I've got nothing against San Antonio, and their riverwalk is nice, but Denver is a great place to live.

Deberg_1990
08-30-2007, 07:08 PM
and we don't have dangerous slums.

Denver doesnt had bad neighborhoods?? All big cities have slums.

KC Jones
08-30-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm biased since I picked Denver but we love it here. Great weather, mountains nearby, big city with plenty going on...

Deberg_1990
08-30-2007, 07:15 PM
The Spurs OWN the Nuggets!

Go with San Antonio... :)

Iowanian
08-30-2007, 07:15 PM
They have had some urban revitalization and slum reclimation projects deberg.....they did tear down Pile High.

Toad
08-30-2007, 08:36 PM
The financial considerations are large.

Someone already mentioned no state taxes in Texas. Also, The cost of housing in SA is consderably lower than Denver. You can get a nice house for about $100 per sq foot in SA, but about twice that ($200) in Denver for an equivilant home.

Basically, you can buy twice the house there.

Deberg_1990
08-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Also, The cost of housing in SA is consderably lower than Denver. You can get a nice house for about $100 per sq foot in SA, but about twice that ($200) in Denver for an equivilant home.

Basically, you can buy twice the house there.

Your exactly right. Houses here are considerably more affordable here than in most parts of the country.

Rain Man
08-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Denver doesnt had bad neighborhoods?? All big cities have slums.

Seriously, our worst neighborhoods are child's play compared to most cities. We don't have any of those war zone areas that most places have.

There are gangs here and stuff, so it's certainly possible to get yourself killed. However, there's no place where you're in danger just by being there.

Darien25
08-30-2007, 08:51 PM
I appreciate all the info from everyone. I know homes are more expensive in Denver but were surprised at the poor quality and design of the average home in the $300,000-$400,000 range. The San Antonio homes were much more to our liking. The weather in Denver appears more to our liking but don't know if I want to deal with 50 inches of snow a year. Does anyone know how well the city does at keeping the roads cleared off?

Rain Man
08-30-2007, 08:58 PM
The snow is not a problem at all. It's worse in Missouri, because the snow here doesn't last long.

What part of Denver are you looking at? I live in central Denver and love it, but I think some of the best values are in the foothills areas like Evergreen, Conifer, and Bailey.

Ebolapox
08-30-2007, 09:12 PM
I've never lived in San Antonio, but I've been there, and I lived in Austin for a couple of years.

There's no contest. Denver is a great place to live. We don't have humidity, we don't have fleas and roaches, and we don't have dangerous slums. I've got nothing against San Antonio, and their riverwalk is nice, but Denver is a great place to live.

heh, says the man who had his friggin' bike stolen RIGHT from his YARD!!!!one

Rain Man
08-30-2007, 09:14 PM
heh, says the man who had his friggin' bike stolen RIGHT from his YARD!!!!one

Admittedly, we do have Broncos fans here.

Ebolapox
08-30-2007, 09:14 PM
all things being equal, as much as I hate the broncos, I would choose libya over denver.

Deberg_1990
08-30-2007, 09:43 PM
I know homes are more expensive in Denver but were surprised at the poor quality and design of the average home in the $300,000-$400,000 range. The San Antonio homes were much more to our liking.

If thats the price range for a home your looking for, you will live like a King here in san antonio.

As far as the weather here, yes its Hotter than Hell form April -September. But from Nov to March, you wont miss the Northern snow much since you will be basking in sunshine and highs of 70-75.

Mojo Rising
08-30-2007, 09:47 PM
I would choose Denver. I have never lived there but have traveled through many times to hit the slopes. You have to put up with Bronco fans but you are also guaranteed 1 Chiefs game per year in your home town.

You will also be in a 4 sport city (NFL, MLB, NBA & NHL) vs. a 1 sport town. Every other cultural, dining, etc. experience will be the same difference.

I have not lived in SA either. I did travel there frequently while I lived in Austin for 6 months. The houses may be cheaper but the jobs also pay less and there are less opportunities.

I don't understand the Austin hype. People in Texas call it Gods country. I don't know why. There is a river that runs through town and some hills and these are supposed to be natural wonders?

There is 4th street where the college kids go get drunk and Lawrence type bands play. Then a block over is where the sophisticated post college people go. This is the culture?

Then you have to deal with the Texan attitude that they are the best thing since sliced bread. There is a Lonestar, Map of Texas or some other Texas emblem on every bag of chips, beer or soda can you will every touch.

After the 1st month I lived in Texas it took me 5 months to get my company to transfer me out.

Austin did have a great restaurant called Chuys though. They had great food. Don't eat their BBQ though. They use Mesquite (AKA railroad ties.)

Rain Man
08-30-2007, 10:00 PM
I lived in Austin and certainly liked it, but I too think that it's got a reputation that exceeds what the city actually is.

Mile High Mania
08-30-2007, 10:15 PM
It all depends on what is important to you... I would hate living in SA. It's a wonderful place to visit, but I think (sorry Deberg) that it would suck to live there. I've been there many times.

Denver - to me (sports teams out of the equation) is somewhere that I would love to live b/c of what there is to do in Colorado and the areas surrounding Denver.

SA - effing miserable this time of year.

Deberg_1990
08-30-2007, 10:19 PM
It all depends on what is important to you... I would hate living in SA. It's a wonderful place to visit, but I think (sorry Deberg) that it would suck to live there. I've been there many times.

Denver - to me (sports teams out of the equation) is somewhere that I would love to live b/c of what there is to do in Colorado and the areas surrounding Denver.

SA - effing miserable this time of year.

Well said. It all depends on what you like. Each person is different.

Yes, SA is miserable in August. I wont lie. :)

Darien25
08-30-2007, 10:21 PM
The snow is not a problem at all. It's worse in Missouri, because the snow here doesn't last long.

What part of Denver are you looking at? I live in central Denver and love it, but I think some of the best values are in the foothills areas like Evergreen, Conifer, and Bailey.

The office is located in Golden so I would like to live within 30 minutes of this area. Any recommendations?

Rain Man
08-30-2007, 10:32 PM
The office is located in Golden so I would like to live within 30 minutes of this area. Any recommendations?

You're golden (no pun intended). You can live in Evergreen, Conifer, or Bailey and be 15 minutes from work.

Check out this place for $300,000.

2,200 sq. feet on 1.09 acres (http://homes.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?ctid=3547&ml=3&mnp=26&mxp=27&typ=7&sid=565e1257693f493bbe447188d9f942e4&lid=1086310914&lsn=2&srcnt=124#Detail)

Or this place for $350,000

2,400 sq. ft. on 1.24 acres (http://homes.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?ctid=3547&ml=3&mnp=26&mxp=27&typ=7&sid=565e1257693f493bbe447188d9f942e4&pg=4&lid=1087553918&lsn=31&srcnt=124#Detail)

Or if you need more room, this place for $369,000

3,400 sq. ft. on 2 acres (http://homes.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?ctid=3547&ml=3&mnp=26&mxp=27&typ=7&sid=565e1257693f493bbe447188d9f942e4&pg=10&lid=1081265878&lsn=93&srcnt=124#Detail)

I think there are screaming deals in the foothills towns. If I didn't live and work in the central city, I'd live in that area, and it's very convenient to Golden.

DenverChief
08-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Westminster Arvada and Lakewood are not bad closer to Denver but I suppose it depends on your preference to being in the city or the mountains...last year was pretty AB-normal for a snowy winter....the snow around here never lasts for more than a couple of days and yeah the streets stay pretty well cleared...no salt they use mag chloride which is great for your car (read no rust) and sometimes sand ...

DenverChief
08-30-2007, 11:07 PM
You're golden (no pun intended). You can live in Evergreen, Conifer, or Bailey and be 15 minutes from work.

Wait shouldn't we be shooing him away?

Mile High Mania
08-31-2007, 05:43 AM
I had a chance to moved from Dallas to Denver last year... but, Texas has no state tax... housing is a lot cheaper for new builds... and all around, the cost of living is better here. I couldn't justify making a lateral move (family of 5) to make less money.

It doesn't suck to live in Dallas... but I wanted to make the move.

1ChiefsDan
08-31-2007, 06:07 AM
The office is located in Golden so I would like to live within 30 minutes of this area. Any recommendations?I live down in Douglas County (Highlands Ranch). And work in the Golden/Lakewood area. It takes me 30-35 minutes to get to/from work driving on 470 because I am always going the opposite direction of rush hour. We picked Douglas County because they have one of the best school districts in the state - the other one being out in Broomfield I think. Don't know if schools are important, but always a consideration if you have kids. The drawback of our area is houses aren't cheap and everything is covenant controlled. I took a lot of crap the first year I put up all of my Chiefs lights for football season - but when I requested a full hearing with the HOA they dropped it.

Jilly
08-31-2007, 06:21 AM
I had a chance to moved from Dallas to Denver last year... but, Texas has no state tax... housing is a lot cheaper for new builds... and all around, the cost of living is better here. I couldn't justify making a lateral move (family of 5) to make less money.

It doesn't suck to live in Dallas... but I wanted to make the move.

it does suck to live in Dallas. At least it did for me. HATED the weather and Texas, imo, is a really shallow state, very materialistic.

Archie F. Swin
08-31-2007, 06:44 AM
having spent equal time in KC and Austin...

KC > Austin

disclaimer: this thread is Denver vs San Antonio

Mile High Mania
08-31-2007, 07:24 AM
it does suck to live in Dallas. At least it did for me. HATED the weather and Texas, imo, is a really shallow state, very materialistic.

Depends on where you go... it's a fun place to live, easy to nearly anywhere in the US from Dallas. Lots to do, but it is hot and you have to travel a bit to see anything "scenic". Other than that though, solid place to live.

I guess you hated your time at TCU?

HonestChieffan
08-31-2007, 07:25 AM
Denver had clean air in about 1963. Was neat.

Tatertot13
08-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Westminster Arvada and Lakewood are not bad closer to Denver but I suppose it depends on your preference to being in the city or the mountains...last year was pretty AB-normal for a snowy winter....the snow around here never lasts for more than a couple of days and yeah the streets stay pretty well cleared...no salt they use mag chloride which is great for your car (read no rust) and sometimes sand ...

I lived in Lakewood for about a year and it was very nice. Close to the city and even closer to the mountains. It's been a while, but I want to say it was only about a 15 or 20 drive to Golden.

bishop_74
08-31-2007, 09:43 AM
:hmmm:
Gross Reservoir
Cherry Creek Reservoir
Chatfield Reservoir
Sloans Lake
Standley Lake

Rivers/Streams:
South Boulder Creek
Clear Creek
Boulder Creek

All offer Fishing and a few of them Kayaking and boating

Must not be looking very hard

As far as restaurants go
Maggianos - Italian
Rialto Cafe -
Palomino - euro bistro

LOOK HARDER!

I'm sorry man. I am really trying to like it, but those reservoirs don't really do it for me. I will go looking for the creeks to see how they are.

Not saying that they don't have good food, but you REALLY have to go looking for it. The atmosphere in a good restaraunt is usually WAY uptight and uncomfortable. I really liked Racines as it is as close to some of the places in Austin I like, Maggianio's was fun, but not the best Itialian food I had. I will definately check out some of your other suggestions... the other people that have steered us to multiple resturaunts seem to have a different idea about a good dining experience.

Donger
08-31-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm sorry man. I am really trying to like it, but those reservoirs don't really do it for me. I will go looking for the creeks to see how they are.

Not saying that they don't have good food, but you REALLY have to go looking for it. The atmosphere in a good restaraunt is usually WAY uptight and uncomfortable. I really liked Racines as it is as close to some of the places in Austin I like, Maggianio's was fun, but not the best Itialian food I had. I will definately check out some of your other suggestions... the other people that have steered us to multiple resturaunts seem to have a different idea about a good dining experience.

Eddie V's in Austin is one of my favorite restaurants.

Chest Rockwell
08-31-2007, 01:32 PM
Admittedly, we do have Broncos fans here.

Now I'm not one to normally defend Bronco fans, but lets be fair...most Bronco fans are too big of the, how do you say?, p*ssies to steal from a man's front yard, danger that a little girl or some sort of tiny little yapper-dog might come out and catch them and whatnot. It's much more likely that a Raider fan took your bike...and given the fact that all Mexicans (with the exception of Taco John) are Raider fans, and Denver has a relatively high population of Mexicans...

I'm not profiling here (ok, except for the fact that all Raider fans are criminals), just connecting the obvious dots.

Rain Man
08-31-2007, 04:58 PM
Wait shouldn't we be shooing him away?

I'm a homeowner, so every new resident drives up the value of my property by about ten cents. Since you rent, every new resident means that you'll have to pay ten cents more when you buy a house.

Of course, I'm assuming that he may need market research at some point, too.

Jilly
08-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Depends on where you go... it's a fun place to live, easy to nearly anywhere in the US from Dallas. Lots to do, but it is hot and you have to travel a bit to see anything "scenic". Other than that though, solid place to live.

I guess you hated your time at TCU?

Nah, I LOVED TCU (GO FROGS!!!) and had a great job, etc... I just honestly hated not having seasons! I MISS the mexican food though...man I miss it. The other thing was the traffic...but it did have it's good parts. If I could transplant the weather in KC to the weather there, I'd live there!!!

Rain Man
08-31-2007, 05:26 PM
Nah, I LOVED TCU (GO FROGS!!!) and had a great job, etc... I just honestly hated not having seasons! I MISS the mexican food though...man I miss it. The other thing was the traffic...but it did have it's good parts. If I could transplant the weather in KC to the weather there, I'd live there!!!

They have seasons in Dallas. You just have to look harder for them.

December through February - Freak ice storm season
March through May - Big hair and fingernails season
June through August - Sweat season
September though November - Cowboys season

Marlboro_Chief
08-31-2007, 05:40 PM
As far as restaurants go
Maggianos - Italian
Rialto Cafe -
Palomino - euro bistro

LOOK HARDER!

What about the Buckhorn Exchange? Where else can you eat alligator, rattlesnake and elk?

sportsman1
09-01-2007, 12:20 AM
I love San Antonio, thought Id throw that in. Its marginally cheap to be there and mexican food kicks ass. Its a safe decent city, best in texas. Not like its saying much but meh.

Buck
09-01-2007, 01:12 AM
You may not care, but I think Marijuana is legal in Denver...if you smoke, better for you, if you'd rather not have your kids around, bad for you.

DenverChief
09-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Oh yeah I forgot about the Taste of Colorado this weekend too...

http://www.atasteofcolorado.com/

Darien25
09-22-2007, 09:02 AM
I'm a homeowner, so every new resident drives up the value of my property by about ten cents. Since you rent, every new resident means that you'll have to pay ten cents more when you buy a house.

Of course, I'm assuming that he may need market research at some point, too.

I know that real estate and gas are expensive but what else makes for a high cost of living in the Denver area? Personal property taxes (house and car) are cheaper in Colorado than in Kansas and Oklahoma. Generally speaking, sales tax is much less in the Denver metro area than where I currently live in Owasso, OK and even before in Andover, KS. State income tax will also be less for me in Colorado. Anything stick out as being rediculously high other than the aformentioned?

Skip Towne
09-22-2007, 09:17 AM
SA or Denver? Do you want to be hot or cold?

Smed1065
09-22-2007, 09:30 AM
I love SA and the women, no better women in the world!

I love SA because I have always have been treated with respect. Hot women does not hurt.

They seem to want to capture your inside, not your outside!

StcChief
09-22-2007, 09:46 AM
SA over Dungver

KC Jones
09-22-2007, 12:17 PM
SA or Denver? Do you want to be hot or cold?

People who don't live in Colorado always talk about it being cold, but that's not the experience I have living here. Winters here are far more mild here than in KC.

Average highs:

DEN KC
DEC 46 42
JAN 46 38
FEB 49 44

Keeping in mind Denver is pretty much sunny year round, far less humid, and the Sun is awfully strong at this altitude, it feels pretty warm here through most of the winter.

AustinChief
09-22-2007, 01:19 PM
I don't understand the Austin hype. People in Texas call it Gods country. I don't know why. There is a river that runs through town and some hills and these are supposed to be natural wonders?

There is 4th street where the college kids go get drunk and Lawrence type bands play. Then a block over is where the sophisticated post college people go. This is the culture?

Austin did have a great restaurant called Chuys though. They had great food. Don't eat their BBQ though. They use Mesquite (AKA railroad ties.)

Ok, #1, Austin has ALOT more than just the river and some hills... I take it you never went to the lake or Hamilton Pool or Enchanted Rock or Pace Bend or the Goat Cave...

#2 EAST 6th street (from Congress to I35) is college kids and such, Red River (from 6th to 9th) is where the live music is (especially punk scene), 4th street is the slightly older crowd and WEST 6th is more the upper twenties+ crowd. I wouldn't say it is culture, but it is hell of alot of choice when it comes to downtown drinking.

#3 Austin restaurants are generally pretty good IF you take the time to do your research and FIND the great ones... this is true of any town...

BUT I do agree.. the BBQ isn't CLOSE to KC standards... good for Texas though

It sounds to me like you never took the time to properly investigate what Austin has to offer... or you got stuck in the wasteland that is north Austin and the people around you didn't know enough to show you the cool stuff...

I have lived in a ton of places, and while Austin is by no means perfect... it is a pretty damn nice town.

boogblaster
09-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Steers&Q*eers or Slimey-animal breeders...I'd for for option three ...

PunkinDrublic
09-22-2007, 01:33 PM

Not to mention Cowboy fans are the most arrogant fans in the NFL,

Darien25
09-22-2007, 02:02 PM
What about nightlife/restaurants? I know San Antonio has the River Walk area but what does Denver have?

RodInCanton
09-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Anything stick out as being rediculously high other than the aformentioned?

About 35% of the metro population is ridiculously high at any given time! :p
Other than that, I believe CO has some of the highest car insurance rates around (not positive but it was true a few years ago at least).

RodInCanton
09-22-2007, 03:39 PM
What about nightlife/restaurants? I know San Antonio has the River Walk area but what does Denver have?

For the younger crowd (early-mid 20's - or those 30 year olds who still like clubbing) there is LoDo district (lower downtown) where Coors field and the Pepsi Center are. There are several bars/clubs in this general vicinity. For those who are into neighborhood bars, I believe Denver has some of the best I've been to (and I've hit more than my fair share of bars in lots of cities!!!) I'm not talking about the suburbs - I try to stay away from the burbs myself - but just right off downtown.

jjchieffan
09-22-2007, 03:41 PM
You have 3 boys? See Dongers thread. That would be enough to keep me from moving to Dungver.

AustinChief
09-22-2007, 04:07 PM
You have 3 boys? See Dongers thread. That would be enough to keep me from moving to Dungver.

True, you will likely end up with at least one conversion to the Broncos... in Texas it is a mix of Texans and Cowboys fans... but unless you live in Houston or Dallas, the loyalty is spread pretty thin...

San Antonio is your best chance of keeping them Bronco free!

JuicesFlowing
09-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Denver is a rat's nest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But damn it's a beautiful place to live ...

Rain Man
09-22-2007, 04:22 PM
I know that real estate and gas are expensive but what else makes for a high cost of living in the Denver area? Personal property taxes (house and car) are cheaper in Colorado than in Kansas and Oklahoma. Generally speaking, sales tax is much less in the Denver metro area than where I currently live in Owasso, OK and even before in Andover, KS. State income tax will also be less for me in Colorado. Anything stick out as being rediculously high other than the aformentioned?

I moved to Denver from Austin, and while it's been many years (14, to be exact), we found Denver to be noticeably more expensive. We were coming from graduate school, so we had budgeting down to an art, and we immediately found that housing was about 20 percent more expensive and food was about 20 percent more expensive. I don't remember anything else striking me particularly strongly. Of course, Texas has no state income tax, too, so that was a difference.

I made the decision to live in central Denver, where housing is generally more expensive. You can find cheaper housing in the 'burbs, but ... you live in the 'burbs.

This site CNN Money cost of living (http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html?step=result&current_salary=50000&fromStateMenu=CO&from_city=Denver+CO&toStateMenu=TX&to_city=San+Antonio+TX&x=30&y=12)
uses ACCRA data, which is generally widely accepted, and it says that a $50,000 salary in Denver is equivalent to a $45,121.24 salary in San Antonio. That seems about right to me.

Let's see if this thing will paste.

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html?step=result&current_salary=50000&fromStateMenu=CO&from_city=Denver+CO&toStateMenu=TX&to_city=San+Antonio+TX&x=30&y=12

I've got nothing at all against San Antonio, and I really like their Riverwalk area. However, I'm a huge fan of central Denver. I have a house with a yard that's walking distance to everything, including a major shopping mall, the state Capitol, many museums, and the downtown business district. If I didn't need to drive around occasionally for my job, I wouldn't even need a car. The weather is nice, there are few bugs and pests here, and you're driving distance from a lot of very nice weekend getways. And John Elway's not going to live forever. You know that when he finally dies the real estate will take a big jump in value.

Rain Man
09-22-2007, 04:24 PM
(Snarl.) It didn't paste. You can go to that site that I reference and directly compare Denver to San Antonio.

Deberg_1990
09-22-2007, 04:36 PM
San Antonio is your best chance of keeping them Bronco free!

San Antonio is 100% Cowboy country though. Its a good bet they would grow up Cowboys fans.

redbrian
09-22-2007, 04:42 PM
If you like good beer you get this every year in Denver;

Great American Beer Festival

408 Breweries
on the festival floor
(24 more than last year)

1884 Beers
on the Festival floor
(Yikes! 230+ more than last year)

474 Breweries
in the competition
(24 more than last year)

2832 Beers
in the competition
(422 more than last year)

updated 9/14/07
75 Style Categories
being judged
(6 more than last year)

107 judges from 7 countries
(4 more judges than last year)

Avg number of competition beers in each category: 37
(2 more judges than last year)

Category with most entries: American Style India Pale Ale, 120 Entries
(Same category last year and 26 more entries)

Doors open Oct 11th 2007

http://www.beertown.org/events/gabf/index.htm

Darien25
09-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks for all the good info everyone.

Simplex3
09-22-2007, 05:44 PM
What pisses you off more: roaches or shoveling snow?

KCChiefsMan
09-22-2007, 07:54 PM
stay in Oklahoma