PDA

View Full Version : Big Night For Boomer

Hammock Parties
08-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Big Night For Boomer (http://chiefs.scout.com/2/673573.html)

With one roster cut down and another looming after the Chiefs visit the St. Louis Rams Thursday night, fullback Boomer Grigsby is hoping he can build upon his success from a week ago against the Saints. He hopes he can show that he’s deserving of a roster spot, and isn’t taking anything for granted.

Anyone who has watched HBO’s Hard Knocks knows Grigsby’s story. He’s been featured more than almost any other player.

But although Grigsby has made a flash on television, it means little to him at the moment. All he cares about is showing his coaches and teammates that the conversion from linebacker to fullback isn’t just for the cameras, and that he’s more than a special teams player.

Against New Orleans, Grigsby took his usual turns on the kickoff team. He had plenty of opportunities while the Saints poured 30 points on the Chiefs, but eventually got his first taste of life as an NFL fullback.

“I wasn’t nervous,” said Grigsby. “Instead, I was looking around at who was on the offensive line. I was looking at Brodie in the eyes, and I gave him a little ‘Roll Tide,’ and I felt comfortable.”

After entering the game in the third quarter, Grigsby was first called on to be the lead blocker. It didn’t go so well. In fact, he missed his first assignment. But from there, things improved.

With the Chiefs facing a long third down, Grigsby chipped the outside rusher, pushed him back and then ran into the flat as the safety valve for quarterback Brodie Croyle. Under duress, Croyle lofted a high pass back across the field. Grigsby leaped into the air and stretched his arms to haul in the pass.

What was the young fullback thinking as the ball headed his way?

“Catch the ball,” said Grigsby. “You never know how many snaps you’re going to get. You don’t want to drop the ball. Hey, I just wanted to show that white boys could jump.”

With that out of the way, Grigsby’s night was far from over. When the Chiefs scored their only touchdown of the evening, #46 cleared a path for halfback Marcus O’Keith. He was understandably enthusiastic after the play - after all, this was his first preseason game. He sat out the first two with an oblique injury.

“It was exciting,” said Grigsby. “Another roller-coaster ride. I learned a lot of valuable information in a short time on the field. You can’t match the speed of the game.”

And that’s something that has to happen if Grigsby is going to make an impact. This team doesn’t have a true fullback on the roster. Wednesday, the Chiefs placed fullback Greg Hanoian on injured reserve, and Kris Wilson is more of a tight end than a fullback.

He’s done a great job since taking over for Ronnie Cruz midway through the 2006 season, but he’s not someone who can pound it play after play, blocking the way for Larry Johnson and company.

Grigsby’s physical nature and kamikaze playing style make him the ideal candidate to fill that role.

With the Rams game set for tonight, this evening could be a make or break event for Grigsby. Setting aside all the play he’s been getting from HBO, he still has to make this football team.

That’s why he’s remained very real and grounded in his pursuit to show everyone he was born to play fullback in the NFL. He has more to prove before he’ll be ready to become a lead blocker.

“I have to do the little things right,” he said. “I know there are some details in route running and assignments. Because I know I can play with the ones and play at that speed.”

KurtCobain
08-30-2007, 08:45 AM
ROFL I can't look away from your hermfro.

but yeah, go boomer! hope he makes it.

El Jefe
08-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Good read.

Mr. Laz
08-30-2007, 09:10 AM
i think Grigsby makes it ..... he's the perfect part time Fullback to go along with Kris wilson.

one guy is a tightend/H Back
one guy is a special teams/kamikaze fullback

boomer will have to screw up tonight to get cut imo.

Skip Towne
08-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Nick Athan crap.

Kylo Ren
08-30-2007, 09:34 AM
I hope Boomer turns into the next Tony Richardson for about 10 years.

crazycoffey
08-30-2007, 09:35 AM
GO BOOMER!!!!!

Phobia
08-30-2007, 09:41 AM
ANOTHER article about Boomer Grigsby from Warpaint. Somebody has a crush. Wow.

pikesome
08-30-2007, 09:44 AM
ANOTHER article about Boomer Grigsby from Warpaint. Somebody has a crush. Wow.

At least it's not a Huard/Croyle article. We've already made jerky out of that horse here.

Inspector
08-30-2007, 10:07 AM
"he’s not someone who can pound it play after play, blocking the way for Larry Johnson and company.

Grigsby’s physical nature and kamikaze playing style make him the ideal candidate to fill that role."

Uh.....what? This seems somewhat conflicted. Maybe it's just me.

crazycoffey
08-30-2007, 10:08 AM
"he’s not someone who can pound it play after play, blocking the way for Larry Johnson and company.

Grigsby’s physical nature and kamikaze playing style make him the ideal candidate to fill that role."

Uh.....what? This seems somewhat conflicted. Maybe it's just me.

I thought it said bigfoot couldn't do that, the play for play pounding....

pikesome
08-30-2007, 10:10 AM

Heh heh heh, you said play for play. :)

StcChief
08-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Boomer makes the team is the FB. Wilson is H/TE Back combo.

I'd love to see him be the next TRich.

This white boy can jump.

Inspector
08-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Oh...yeah... I see.

OK, that makes more sense then.

greg63
08-30-2007, 10:33 AM
I hope Boomer does well; kid has a lot of heart!

InChiefsHeaven
08-30-2007, 10:38 AM
My daughter thinks he's cute...that's enough reason for her...:rolleyes:

Wile_E_Coyote
08-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Future salesman, just how much in the future :shrug:

Simply Red
08-30-2007, 12:08 PM
i think Grigsby makes it ..... he's the perfect part time Fullback to go along with Kris wilson.

one guy is a tightend/H Back
one guy is a special teams/kamikaze fullback

boomer will have to screw up tonight to get cut imo.
The bolded may be the best description I have ever heard.

You are so damned knowledgable. So effing suave! :p

Mr. Laz
08-30-2007, 12:13 PM
The bolded may be the best description I have ever heard.

You are so damned knowledgable. So effing suave! :p
i think i'm gonna like this new "sucking up" version of SR.

JK ROFL

Hydrae
08-30-2007, 12:18 PM
If nothing else you would have to love his energy in the lockerroom. :)

KCBOSS1
08-30-2007, 12:24 PM
I think this kid is a serious leader on this squad in a year. The coaches love him, the other players rally to him. The is the strongest element that left with TRich. I wanted to see him get a shot at starting at LB last year, his numbers in college were phenomenal and he had a great nose for the ball. This move to FB looks a "whatever it takes to justify keeping him" move to me. He's a good football player.

htismaqe
08-30-2007, 12:26 PM
I think this kid is a serious leader on this squad in a year. The coaches love him, the other players rally to him. The is the strongest element that left with TRich. I wanted to see him get a shot at starting at LB last year, his numbers in college were phenomenal and he had a great nose for the ball. This move to FB looks a "whatever it takes to justify keeping him" move to me. He's a good football player.

If we're relying on Boomer Grigsby for "serious" leadership, this team deserves to be 4-12.

KCBOSS1
08-30-2007, 12:39 PM
state your case....

KCBOSS1
08-30-2007, 12:41 PM
He's not running a corporation, he's on a football team. I do leadership stuff and there are several levels of leaders. He's not a administrator, but attitude and energy, definitely. And he's a smart guy.

crazycoffey
08-30-2007, 12:45 PM
He's not running a corporation, he's on a football team. I do leadership stuff and there are several levels of leaders. He's not a administrator, but attitude and energy, definitely. And he's a smart guy.

And if it's catchy (which in his case it appears to be, people are drawn to him and his energy, hence all the hub-bub in local media, with fans, hard knocks his coach and his team mates) it translates to game time leadership, like in the huddle on hard knocks. "come on guys, we got to get a score" vocal leadership, saying what everyone knows. It comes from a guy you respect it lifts you a level, it comes from someone you don't respect and it does nothing for you.

I think it lifts several players' level.

KCBOSS1
08-30-2007, 12:49 PM
I agree totally. I think think this is a guy that makes it more fun for a lot of the vets again. It's just freakin great to me to hear a pro football player talk more about getting to play football more than negotiating a contract or somebody else's contract.

KCBOSS1
08-30-2007, 12:50 PM
He's like, "just put me in any position where I get to hit somebody." He's the Spartan.

Splat420
08-30-2007, 01:06 PM

Noobie alert why do you guys call Kris Wilson bigfoot I have seen a few people say it?

pikesome
08-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Noobie alert why do you guys call Kris Wilson bigfoot I have seen a few people say it?

Because for his first season or two Wilson sightings, on game day, were like Bigfoot. You might hear about them but no one actually saw it with their own eyes.

StcChief
08-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Because it's just stupid. Big Feet NOT.

aka 'Sasquatch' (BigFoot in disguise) - Size?

aka "The secret weapon" never say him on the field but the kept hearing how good he was after drafting him. Secret weapon being saved for what?

Splat420
08-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Got it.

Vegas_Dave
08-30-2007, 01:41 PM
GoChiefs...

Very Good Article.

There, its on record. I dont hate everything you write! :)

KC Kings
08-30-2007, 01:46 PM
I am real happy for Boomer, but you will have to excuse me for not getting too excited. After having no true FB last year, the last preseason game of the year is going to decide whether or not we start a LB'er or a H-back/TE tweener at the fullback position? This is hardly a feel good story for ANYBODy except for Boomer.

And to think that the Vikings took TRich off of our hands for a measly 4 mill contract.

mikey23545
08-30-2007, 02:47 PM
If we're relying on Boomer Grigsby for "serious" leadership, this team deserves to be 4-12.

Wow, you've really racked up quite a string of retarded posts lately...

Are you and Redrum twins?

Hammock Parties
08-30-2007, 03:50 PM
GoChiefs...

Very Good Article.

You might want to try clicking the link. I didn't write this.

ChiefsFan4Life
08-30-2007, 03:54 PM

Question: Did Boomer Grigsby rape you or any of your immediate family?

KurtCobain
08-30-2007, 04:28 PM
GoChiefs...

Very Good Article.

Athan wrote this

BigRedChief
08-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Question: Did Boomer Grigsby rape you or any of your immediate family?
He thinks that anyone who likes Boomer does so because of Boomer's race.