PDA

View Full Version : Slip back 6 years, what if

Wile_E_Coyote
08-30-2007, 10:23 AM
What if Grbac had resigned & the Chiefs had the #12(?) pick in the 2001 draft? I still don't see any super bowl. A playoff win maybe.

Don't think Grbac would have been as good as Green. But he had the skills & with DV pampering him. I think the Chiefs could be better off today

beach tribe
08-30-2007, 10:26 AM
I don't see it.

Kylo Ren
08-30-2007, 10:27 AM
Grbac who?

Wile_E_Coyote
08-30-2007, 10:30 AM
I don't recall who was available & it was DV drafting, but a #12 pick could be a starter today.

Grbac had little confidence & I think DV & Saunders could have gone along way in making him work in the system.

With no playoff wins to show, I would rather have that #12 than some meaningless stats

Molitoth
08-30-2007, 10:34 AM
#12 could've been a bust.

teedubya
08-30-2007, 10:34 AM
the Chiefs would have probably selected Rod Gardner.

JBucc
08-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Here are some guys that got picked 12 or after in the first round that have had success. I'd pick Stroud easily.

Marcus Stroud
Santana Moss
Nate Clements
Steve Hutchinson
Reggie Wayne

siberian khatru
the Chiefs would have probably selected Rod Gardner.

ROFL :deevee:

htismaqe
Several of us wanted Michael Bennett with that pick...

ROFL :deevee:

Frazod
08-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Why don't you just slip back 10 and kneecap Girlbac so Gannon can start that playoff game?

Wile_E_Coyote
08-30-2007, 10:36 AM
The pick for Green & then compensation for DV set this team back

siberian khatru
08-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Why don't you just slip back 10 and kneecap Girlbac so Gannon can start that playoff game?

Or we could slip back 30 years and sabotage the brakes on Jack Steadman's and Jim Schaaf's cars.

greg63
08-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Grbac who?

Yep; I can't / won't live in the past.

Chiefnj2
08-30-2007, 10:39 AM
If I could change 2 things from 6 years ago:

1. Get rid of Stiles as the head scout/personnel person at that time. (His drafts were atrocious).
2. No GROB.

InChiefsHeaven
08-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Holy shit people...this isn't even worth thinking about...

...Grbac indeed...:rolleyes:

mcan
08-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Personell wouldn't have been all that different. Grbac would have struggled early to learn the new offense, and we wouldn't have had the breakout game against Washington. Basically, the first half of the season would have been panic mode for everybody.

Very likely that we would have drafted a reciever in that first round. Probably Santana Moss. Basically meaning that we never get Snoop and maybe not Kennison on the squad. We would assume that SlyMo still pops his knee, leaving Derrick Alexander and that first rounder as our starters with guys like Larry Parker backing up. At that point Dante was a 3rd running back.

We would still have GRob on defense. :PUKE:

HonestChieffan
08-30-2007, 10:45 AM
6 years ago i was paying tuition....aint going back

Wile_E_Coyote
08-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Grbac didn't want to be here. With Green gone now, I think it's safe to say he was good system QB. But not worth fawning over

cdcox
08-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Grbac didn't have the heart to play football. He's had chances to play since Baltimore, but has said no thanks. Even if he worked out, he'd be 37 now, so the QB situation would be exactly what it is now. I don't think Grbac would have done as well as Green.

Here are some guys that got picked 12 or after in the first round that have had success. I'd pick Stroud easily.

Marcus Stroud
Santana Moss
Nate Clements
Steve Hutchinson
Reggie Wayne

Considering the state of our offensive weapons at the time, we probably would have taken a WR or a RB. We could have taken Michael Bennett or Duece McCaqllister and never picked up Priest. There were some busts at WR too (Gardner, Freddie Mitchell).

The only way this works out well for us is if we had taken Stroud, which in turn kept us from taking Sims. But that would have taken laser sharp 20/20 vision.

shrek6849
08-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Slip back? Let's play that game.

What if Marty had started Gannon over Grbac in the playoff game? I think you guys probably beat Denver and host Pittsburgh in the AFCCG. Kordell was erratic as hell at home against Denver, so I think Arrowhead would have ate his lunch as well.

Could that team have beaten Green Bay in SB XXXII though?

Redrum_69
08-30-2007, 11:04 AM
I'd say

GET OVER IT ALREADY

If anything, go back to 10:23 am...and create a different thread, instead of this random bullshit.

LEARN TO FUGGING POST SOMETHING AND MAKE A CONTRIBUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

Wile_E_Coyote
08-30-2007, 11:07 AM
I'd say

GET OVER IT ALREADY

If anything, go back to 10:23 am...and create a different thread, instead of this random bullshit.

LEARN TO FUGGING POST SOMETHING AND MAKE A CONTRIBUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

I'll go back to 10:18 am & get my $5 back from yo momma

Redrum_69
08-30-2007, 11:08 AM
I'll go back to 10:18 am & get my $5 back from yo momma

are you and ChiefsfaninBFE brothers?

Wile_E_Coyote
08-30-2007, 11:12 AM
are you and ChiefsfaninBFE brothers?

Did your mother chaf him too?

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2007, 11:16 AM
The pick for Green & then compensation for DV set this team back

Two draft picks out of 35 aren't what's hampered this team's talent level, it's horrific drafts during the Vermeil era. Horrible.

Bwana
08-30-2007, 11:19 AM
He had the tools, but his 10 cent head would of prevented him from taking us to the big dance.

Wile_E_Coyote
08-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Two draft picks out of 35 aren't what's hampered this team's talent level, it's horrific drafts during the Vermeil era. Horrible.

So maybe the #12 & the second round pick money not spent. Was money better spent on FAs, then on draft pick likely to be busts. With thier draft record this is a good argument

Deberg_1990
08-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Grbac didnt have the mental fortitude to lead a team. If you remember, he went to the reigning Super Bowl Champions (Ravens) and laid a huge egg in 2001. They were basically the same team as the 00 squad except for Dilfer. He then quit the next year.

He probably would have done the same here if not worse.

Wile_E_Coyote
08-30-2007, 11:29 AM
I have heard Belick refered to as a QB killer. Grbac could of had Saunders as a OC. He was use to hacks around KC

Kylo Ren
08-30-2007, 11:52 AM

Marcus Stroud
Santana Moss
Nate Clements
Steve Hutchinson
Reggie Wayne

20/20 vision is a wonderful super power, isn't it!!?? :p

patteeu
08-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Grbac didn't have the heart to play football. He's had chances to play since Baltimore, but has said no thanks. Even if he worked out, he'd be 37 now, so the QB situation would be exactly what it is now. I don't think Grbac would have done as well as Green.

Considering the state of our offensive weapons at the time, we probably would have taken a WR or a RB. We could have taken Michael Bennett or Duece McCaqllister and never picked up Priest. There were some busts at WR too (Gardner, Freddie Mitchell).

The only way this works out well for us is if we had taken Stroud, which in turn kept us from taking Sims. But that would have taken laser sharp 20/20 vision.

I think the Chiefs would have drafted Duece McAllister with that pick and let the unremarkable Priest Holmes find another team to be a 3rd down back for.

el borracho
08-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Heh. I wanted to sign (QB) Collins in free-agency and take (RB) McCallister at #12. Wouldn't have been much worse, really, but probably not a whole lot better, either. The real problem is giving away multiple picks over multiple years for coaches (a 2 and 3 for Vermeil and a 4 for Edwards) and busting on so many 1st day picks looking for a DT (a 3 for Downing, a 1 and 3 for Sims, a 2 for Siavii, a 2 for Freeman).

Brock
08-30-2007, 12:46 PM
I have heard Belick refered to as a QB killer. Grbac could of had Saunders as a OC. He was use to hacks around KC

Grbac was weak-minded. He showed it time and time again in close games.

Frosty
08-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Heh. I wanted to sign (QB) Collins in free-agency and take (RB) McCallister at #12.

I don't want to slip back 6 years because then I would have to admit I wanted to sign Dilfer and draft McCallister. I was wanting to somehow get Brees out of the deal, too, for the QBOTF. I didn't think he would go that high.

RealSNR
08-30-2007, 01:19 PM
We didn't have any other option. We had to get rid of Grbac. Our cap situation was atrocious that year.

RealSNR
08-30-2007, 01:21 PM
I remember one plan was to sign Troy Aikman and draft Drew Brees.

el borracho
08-30-2007, 01:22 PM
I don't think anyone around here was that excited about Brees at the time; he was too short or something. and Aikman? Who ever mentioned that as a possibility?

Brock
08-30-2007, 01:27 PM
I don't think anyone around here was that excited about Brees at the time; he was too short or something. and Aikman? Who ever mentioned that as a possibility?

The Chargers and Chiefs were both looking to sign him before he retired.

el borracho
08-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Hunh. No recollection of that. Must have been drunk that year.

Anyong Bluth
08-30-2007, 01:44 PM
NO, Grbac never loved playing the game and was marginally at best. I think the guy had the physical tools for the Pro game, but lacked the passion to become a student of it. Self study and dedication at the QB position is vital to success. Defensive schemes trend quicker than ever in the NFL and its both a position of skill and mental acuity. Mike Vick could have all the raw physical talent in the world, but when you do same shit of chucking up and not learning to read Defenses you're never going to thrive. I realize he had some weak WR corps at times, but unlike McNair, he never transitioned into knowing when to run it and still being a successful passer.

A perfect example of this is Rich Gannon. The guy didn't become anything special for 10+ years in the NFL. Having talked w/ and dealt with him on a number of occasion, let's just say that Rich isn't the brightest bulb in the box. The guy was a career backup and out of football for a year before Carl rang him up to backup QB. He got a shot and the Raiders took a chance and he went on to win MVP. Point being is after finally a decade plus he finally accrued enough NFL knowledge and experience for it to reap results on the field.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-30-2007, 02:08 PM
I think you guys forget that the guy the Rams picked at #12, Damione Lewis, was a Sims-level bust.

Anyong Bluth
08-30-2007, 02:33 PM
I think you guys forget that the guy the Rams picked at #12, Damione Lewis, was a Sims-level bust.

Well, the Rams' choice being a bust doesn't dictate what we'd do with that pick. However, giving their draft success during that period, its not unlikely it would have been of little value. Not to mention, a large number of 1st rounders don't pan out, so the odds side on that outcome. Here's the list

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/19/nfljt0.png

Frosty
08-30-2007, 02:37 PM
What a terrible year for the first round picks!

Anyong Bluth
08-30-2007, 02:58 PM
LT, Smith, Seymour, Stroud, Hutch, Clements, Deuce, Wayne, Heap I'd say are 1st round worthy based on their careers so far.

Funny thing is this is usually how it goes every year.