PDA

View Full Version : This is the stuff that makes me ask, " What is up with our coaching staff " ?

ROYC75
09-01-2007, 12:15 PM
- Kolby Smith Impresses --
Fri Aug 31, 2007 --from FFMastermind.com

The Kansas City Star reports Chiefs rookie RB Kolby Smith looked impressive Thursday night against the Rams. Smith carried the ball seven times for 64 yards with a long run of 55.

-- Chiefs Could Have Intersest in Leftwich --

SI.com's Peter King reports the Kansas City Chiefs may be interested in Jaguars QB Byron Leftwich, who lost his job to QB David Garrard earlier today. The Chiefs have grown wary of placing their quarterbacking future in the hands of second-year QB Brodie Croyle, who has had a poor camp this summer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kolby Smith , WTF ? I mean, That makes me laugh. That means he had six carriers for a whopping 1.5 yards per carry. He's just a rookie, I know, but that's hardly impressive.

Croyle ? Seriously, the guy had a crappy camp, but how can you see what the kid has if he doesn't play....... Somewhere I have chimed this phrase a thousand times.

We are still talking about kids that needs to be developed, very few college players come in are instant success stories from day 1 in camp.

Ultra Peanut
09-01-2007, 12:17 PM
http://imgred.com/http://www.suathletics.com/images/Football/2003/8/13/Scanlon_Rich03cmug.jpg

keg in kc
09-01-2007, 12:21 PM
You, ah, do realize that Kolby Smith was their 5th round draft pick this year and has been getting "impressive" reports all summer long, from OTAs through camp and through the preseason.

DaKCMan AP
09-01-2007, 12:22 PM
You, ah, do realize that Kolby Smith was their 5th round draft pick this year and has been getting "impressive" reports all summer long, from OTAs through camp and through the preseason.

He's no Scanlon.

keg in kc
09-01-2007, 12:24 PM
He's no Scanlon.Nobody is. Except Mike Peterson. Maybe.

Hammock Parties
09-01-2007, 12:26 PM
- Kolby Smith Impresses --

The Kansas City Star reports Chiefs rookie RB Kolby Smith looked impressive Thursday night against the Rams. Smith carried the ball seven times for 64 yards with a long run of 55.

-- Chiefs Could Have Intersest in Leftwich --

SI.com's Peter King reports the Kansas City Chiefs may be interested in Jaguars QB Byron Leftwich, who lost his job to QB David Garrard earlier today. The Chiefs have grown wary of placing their quarterbacking future in the hands of second-year QB Brodie Croyle, who has had a poor camp this summer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kolby Smith , WTF ? I mean, That makes me laugh. That means he had six carriers for a whopping 1.5 yards per carry. He's just a rookie, I know, but that's hardly impressive.

Croyle ? Seriously, the guy had a crappy camp, but how can you see what the kid has if he doesn't play....... Somewhere I have chimed this phrase a thousand times.

We are still talking about kids that needs to be developed, very few college players come in are instant success stories from day 1 in camp.

What does any of this have to do with our coaching staff? These are media reports.

BTW, Croyle had an EXCELLENT camp. Get your facts straight.

Skip Towne
09-01-2007, 12:31 PM
What does any of this have to do with our coaching staff? These are media reports.

So excellent Huard got the job.

PastorMikH
09-01-2007, 12:35 PM
With Croyle, I can't help but wonder if the coaching staff's [Herm's] constant harping about turnovers isn't his biggest problem. The more he plays, the worse he looks. It's like he's getting more and more worried about making mistakes and playing with less confidence.

I wonder what would happen if they would quit harping about turnovers and let him play. My guess is Croyle doesn't like turnovers and would realize that he did something wrong without a coach telling him he will lose a starting job for it Instead of telling him he's losing starting battle, how about just talking with him about what happened, giving suggestions to keep it from happening again, and letting him move on.

Vermiel worked through it with Green. People were sick of the INTs but DV stuck with him and he turned into a solid QB.

Young QBs throw INTs. The only way to get around it is to let them play. With kids, you have to call your starter and stick with him while he plays through the mistakes.

Of the great QBs that have played the game, how many of them developed on the bench?

ROYC75
09-01-2007, 12:38 PM

Yep, Croyle sure is the answer ....... he couldn't beat out a limping Huard. Good camp ? Hardly, and his game play was even worst. The kid isn't ready but the facts remain, if he is the QBOTF, he has to play. Period, he has to take his lumps and play.

This is the argument with any player ( s ) . During the famous Mitchell vs Scanlon threads, allI ever said was let the kids play and see who is the better player. One played, one didn't.

Kolby Smith has talent, but he was far from anything impressive. He needs to play, But right now, Ross is a better runner but he falls back to earth because of his fumbles.

As for the Scanlon comments getting cut, it's very possible. Our coaching staff is as clueless as they ever were. Gun himself says it takes 3 years for his LB's to really understand his scheme, now we want to breakup what has been in place to train more kids for the next 3 years ? Harris, a player that is only logging minutes as a backup to one position and ST's vs's a guy who has practiced all 3 LB's position and ST's player the last few years ? To keep Kendrell Bell, a one dimension player who does not contributes the ST's ?

Nothing this franchise does susprises me anymore, I've been watching them screw up for for the last 36 years.......

Hammock Parties
09-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Yep, Croyle sure is the answer....

I didn't say he was. But he had a good camp. That's a fact.

As for the Scanlon comments getting cut, it's very possible. Our coaching staff is as clueless as they ever were.

Possible? It's a stone-cold lock. Our coaching staff is wise to cut a player who is invisible on the field. Scanlon SUCKS.

ROYC75
09-01-2007, 12:53 PM
I didn't say he was. But he had a good camp. That's a fact.

Possible? It's a stone-cold lock. Our coaching staff is wise to cut a player who is invisible on the field. Scanlon SUCKS.

Awh Grasshopper, one should open eyes when watching football.......

If Croyle of had a "GOOD" camp, he would have won the QB job, period. Huard was horrible and won it by default from his OVER THE HEAD play of last season.

Scanlon was stuck behind Guns goldenboy Mitchell and then settled to leading the Chiefs in ST's tackles that year. Last year he was injured most of the season, he hardly had the chance to do anything. This year he has been all over the field when playing amongst the scrubs, he sticks out again, as usual. Again, one of the top tacklers in preseason, mostly against mop up players, in on all of the ST's play.

His versatility is enough to keep him around over Harris, who could be a PS player.FTR, Bell needs to hit the road, high salary for a pinewood player that doesn't see the field unless we play a 4-4 or a 3-4. This guy is worthless to us in a cober 2 package.

Hammock Parties
09-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Awh Grasshopper, one should open eyes when watching football.......

You weren't even AT camp, idiot.

If Croyle of had a "GOOD" camp, he would have won the QB job, period.

The quarterback job wasn't decided until PRESEASON.

Croyle had a good camp. He was bad in preseason.

Again, one of the top tacklers in preseason, mostly against mop up players, in on all of the ST's play.

No one gives a shit. The dude simply doesn't make plays. He's a tackling dummy. He'll be a tackling dummy for some other team this year. GET OVER IT.

keg in kc
09-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Scanlon's a special teamer, not a linebacker. And when it comes down to head-to-head, Harris is faster and more athletic. So that's who you keep.

And the fact is that the special teams have suffered for a few years specifically because limited guys like Scanlon have been making the roster.

ROYC75
09-01-2007, 01:00 PM
You weren't even AT camp, idiot.

Oh, excuse me there Mr Expert ( I've been to a Training Camp Practice to Watch ) Football analysis. How could I or anybody ever doubt your wisdom or knowledge....... :rolleyes:

Hammock Parties
09-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Oh, excuse me there Mr Expert ( I've been to a Training Camp Practice to Watch ) Football analysis. How could I or anybody ever doubt your wisdom or knowledge....... :rolleyes:

No one ever said Croyle had a "crappy camp." NO ONE. Not ONE MEDIA SOURCE.

And you weren't AT CAMP.

So how did you come to the conclusion that Croyle had a "crappy" camp?

Baby Lee
09-01-2007, 01:04 PM
If Croyle of had a "GOOD" camp, he would have won the QB job, period. Huard was horrible and won it by default from his OVER THE HEAD play of last season.
There's quite a few logical steps missing there.
It's entirely possible that Croyle had the best camp in history, but the coaches made their decision, not on camp performance, but on preseason in-game performance. That's the performance that sucked, as we ALL know, so that's how we got where we are.

It's OK though, if/then statements can be thorny.

FAX
09-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Maybe they're talking about that one time Brodie had a good band camp.

FAX

ROYC75
09-01-2007, 01:08 PM
No one ever said Croyle had a "crappy camp." NO ONE. Not ONE MEDIA SOURCE.

And you weren't AT CAMP.

So how did you come to the conclusion that Croyle had a "crappy" camp?

Gee, I dunno, maybe somthing to do with Huard having a bad leg going into camp, during camp and not performing well in camp and a healthy Croyle couldn't unplant him ?

Not sure where you see that as stellar performance and grades as a GOOD CAMP ?

But I'm No expert and I didn't stay at the Holiday Inn Express like you did at CAMP ?

I Bow to Your Excellency ........

keg in kc
09-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Brodie lost the job when he threw his first pick in the preseason. Because you can't make 9-7 throwing the ball away. Better put the 50-year old career backup in Herm, and start watching the waver wire for 49ers backups.

ROYC75
09-01-2007, 01:11 PM
There's quite a few logical steps missing there.
It's entirely possible that Croyle had the best camp in history, but the coaches made their decision, not on camp performance, but on preseason in-game performance. That's the performance that sucked, as we ALL know, so that's how we got where we are.

It's OK though, if/then statements can be thorny.

Seriously, If this had been the case, all the kid needs is playing time, not pine time. If the kid has the tools, the talent, all he needs is the experence to make it work........

A clipboard holder doesn't qualify as game experence.......... Carl pulled that trigger for Huard. He wants to win now..... and down the road with a stop gap QB.

Chances are slim getting to the SB this way ........ Been done, but not often.

Baby Lee
09-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Seriously, If this had been the case, all the kid needs is playing time, not pine time. If the kid has the tools, the talent, all he needs is the experence to make it work........

A clipboard holder doesn't qualify as game experence.......... Carl pulled that trigger for Huard. He wants to win now..... and down the road with a stop gap QB.

Chances are slime getting to the SB this way ........ Been done, but not often.
Exactly, why do you think we're all pissed around here?

That said, I don't know whether Brodie had a good, great, stupendous camp. Just pointing out a possibility, albeit a moot [mute] one.

FAX
09-01-2007, 01:22 PM
One of the many thousands of things that are bothering me today is this ...

Brodie has demonstrated what many might describe as unbelievably friggin' awful technique by not stepping into his throws. One would think that Dick Curl the Master would have worked with him on this last year and during the off-season.

FAX

Hammock Parties
09-01-2007, 01:27 PM
That said, I don't know whether Brodie had a good, great, stupendous camp.

Neither does he. He's talking out his ass.

banyon
09-01-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm all for bringing Leftwich in. We need talent at that position and he's got some.

Of course, we'd need someone to protect him. :huh:

Rasputin
09-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Sorry no link for ya but try Troy Aikman.com

Drafted 1989 #1 pick Dallas Cowboy

Year /GP /Att /comp/ pct / yds / ypa / lg / TD /INT/Rate
1989 11 :293 : 155 : 52.9 : 1749 :6.0 :75 : 9 :18 :55.7 (1W 15L)
1990 15 :399 : 226 : 56.6 : 2579 :6.5 :61 : 11 :18 :66.6 (7W 9L)
1991 12 :363 : 237 : 65.3 : 2754 :7.6 :61 : 11 :10 :86.7 (11W 5L)
1992 16 :473 : 302 : 63.8 : 3445 :7.3 :87 : 23 :14 :89.5(SB Champs)
1993 14 :392 : 271 : 69.1 : 3100 :7.9 :80 : 15 : 6 :99.0(SB Champs)
1994 14 :361 : 233 : 64.5 : 2676 :7.4 :90 : 13 : 12 :84.9
1995 16 :432 : 280 : 64.8 : 3304 :7.6 :50 : 16 : 7 :93.6(SB Champs)
1996 15 :465 : 296 : 63.7 : 3126 :6.7 :61 : 12 : 13 :80.1
1997 15 :465 : 292 : 63.7 : 3126 :6.3 :64 : 19 : 12 :78.0
1998 11 :315 : 187 : 59.4 : 2330 :7.4 :67 : 12 : 5 :88.5
1999 14 :442 : 263 : 59.5 : 2964 :6.7 :90 : 17 : 12 :81.1
2000 11 :262 : 156 : 59.5 : 1632 :6.2 :48 : 7 : 14 :64.3
12 seasons
GP 165/ Att.4715/comp2898/pct61.5/yds32942/ypa7/lg90/td165/int141
QB rate 81.6

You can learn alot from teams that build through the DRAFT.