PDA

View Full Version : One on One: Brodie Croyle

Hammock Parties
09-03-2007, 10:58 AM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/675255.html

WPI: Football has been in your family for a long time. What was it like as a boy knowing your father played for Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant?

Brodie Croyle: At that young age I really didn’t catch the whole concept until I got to be around nine, 10 or 11. Then I started to figure out who Bear Bryant was and figured out it was pretty cool that my Dad played for such a great coach and had a good relationship with him. But it was cool growing up with the John Hannahs and Johnny Mussos - the guys like that who were friends of my dad’s. I really had no clue who they were, especially Mr. Hannah. When I got into high school it really started to sink in all the people that I had grown up around.

WPI: You graduated early from Westbrook Christian High School in Rainbow City, Alabama - was it ever in doubt when you were in high school that you'd go to any other school but Alabama?

Croyle: Actually up until the night before I was set to go to Florida State. I was gung ho about going. I loved Mark Richt and I loved their offense. Alabama had just fired their coach and hired Dennis Franchioni, and I didn’t think it would be a good fit for me. Then we caught wind that Mark Rick might be taking a job elsewhere so I decided “let’s do it” and I committed to Alabama.

WPI: You once threw seven touchdowns in a single game. I know statistics really don’t mean much, but as a young kid when you were setting one state record after another did they did mean anything to you?

Croyle: I mean they were cool, but you know we lost the state championship twice. The year that I ended up breaking all the individual records we lost the championship game on a field goal. So you know it really took away from all of those accomplishments.

WPI: At Alabama some credit was given to you and then head coach Mike Shula for resurrecting the football program that Dennis Franchioni left in a state of flux. You were one of Coach Shula’s top recruits. Being a home state kid that had to be a slight burden to you knowing the entire Alabama Nation was looking at both of you to resurrect a program that had been through some recent failures.

Croyle: You know, it was fun. When I came in there I had all the expectations. The fact I was the number one quarterback to come out of high school. Add the fact that my father played at Alabama and had a great career there and my sister was the homecoming queen, it was all tied together.

My freshman season was pretty good, we won 10 games, then the next two years we went through a lot of turmoil. That first year I separated my shoulder in the first game and played with it the entire season. Then my second year I tore my ACL, so my legacy was really hanging the last season to get us to becoming a top 10 team again. And I guess my legacy was riding in the balance on that last season. And we did become a Top 10 team and got to the Cotton Bowl. So that senior season was very fulfilling for me.

WPI: As you mentioned you had to overcome several injuries at Alabama, but still you broke every passing record in school history. You left Alabama with records for touchdowns, passing yards, completions and pass attempts. That's a pretty good feat considering some of the NFL’s greatest played at Alabama - like Bart Starr and Kenny Stabler - but one of them, and the man whose records you broke, was none other than Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Namath.

Croyle: With the quarterbacks there, it’s kind of like a brotherhood at Alabama. Actually when I went on visit to Alabama my senior year I walked into a room and there was Joe Namath, Bart Starr, Leroy Jordan, Ken Stabler and the athletic director and I just sat there and said absolutely nothing for about thirty minutes and just listened to them tell stories. From that point on they’d call to congratulate me, and in fact later on when I tore my ACL Joe Namath was one of the first guys to call and Kenny Stabler came and saw me. It’s really cool to have Super Bowl winners and league MVP’s who are generally concerned about what you’re doing. It made me really appreciate what it meant to play at Alabama.

WPI: Did that amazing quarterback legacy guide your decision to want to play for the Crimson Tide?

Croyle: It did. I was probably going to go there anyway, even though I said I was going to Florida State. You know it really did. All they kept telling me while they were recruiting me was the fact that there had not been an Alabama quarterback start a game in the NFL since Richard Todd back in the late 70’s. They were always getting in my ear about Quarterback U.

WPI: The Chiefs liked what you did at the Senior Bowl. Was there any indication they would be the team you'd begin your NFL career with? And were you happy they chose you?

Croyle: This is actually where I wanted to go. Honestly, when I did interviews back at Alabama and people would ask me where I wanted to play pro football, I told them Kansas City. It’s just like playing in a college game. You know it’s a great city with great fans in Kansas City, plus the hunting around here is phenomenal. It was just a fit. I knew they had an interest in me and I knew Coach Edwards talked to Coach Shula a lot about me and Coach Dick Curl worked me out and he really liked me.

Some guys were taken ahead of me that supposedly weren’t going to be drafted there. I learned about that when I was a freshman at Alabama from my college roommate Jarret Johnson, who just recently signed with the Baltimore Ravens. He thought he’d go in the second round and we had a draft party for him but he wasn’t picked until the beginning of the fourth round. From that point on I didn’t even think about where in the draft I might go.

WPI: Herm Edwards told me he saw something special in you. In fact, he mentioned traits you had that were similar to guys like Montana and Brady. Those are some big names to be compared to even though you’ve yet to start a regular season game. How do those comparisons affect you?

Croyle: It makes you feel good when guys say things like that, but as you said I have a lot of touchdown passes and wins to go before I can be mentioned in the same breath as those guys. Those are two of the best to ever play the game. Brady is still writing his legacy right now and I’ve got a long ways to go, but it makes you feel good that your coaches feel that you could reach that level someday.

Tomorrow: Part II, as Brodie talks about life in the NFL.

BigMeatballDave
09-03-2007, 11:01 AM
[Hootie]He sucks. Wasted pick. Huard is GOD.[TEX]

Phobia
09-03-2007, 11:01 AM
You guys cursed him by putting him on the cover. I hope you're proud of yourselves.

Hammock Parties
09-03-2007, 11:03 AM
You guys cursed him by putting him on the cover. I hope you're proud of yourselves.

Gunther is on the next cover. If the defense sucks this year we may have to stop doing covers.

Phobia
09-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Gunther is on the next cover. If the defense sucks this year we may have to stop doing covers.

Thanks a lot Warpaint.

Delano
09-03-2007, 11:07 AM
When did this interview take place?

Hammock Parties
09-03-2007, 11:10 AM
When did this interview take place?

Before training camp.

DaneMcCloud
09-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Who is "Mark Rick"?

Hey IDIOT, it's Mark Richt.

Do some research, jackass.

Hammock Parties
09-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Who is "Mark Rick"?

I didn't transcribe the interview, unfortunately.

The Bad Guy
09-03-2007, 11:30 AM

That's the great thing about WPI, they always have a scapegoat for the mistakes. It's always someone else who did it.

If you are going to charge for a product, have someone smart enough to check facts.

Hammock Parties
09-03-2007, 11:32 AM
I think you're bitching about nothing to be quite honest. Nick probably listened to the interview and it sounded like "Rick." Obviously he's not a die-hard Alabama fan so he moved on.

Skip Towne
09-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Who is "Mark Rick"?

And it's Musso, not Muso, shit for brains.

DaneMcCloud
09-03-2007, 11:44 AM

The simple fact that Nick isn't familiar with Mark Richt, who was the offensive coordinator at Florida State from 1990-2000 just goes to show the incompetence of your "organization".

The man coached two Hiesman trophy winners and oversaw the offensive on two national championship teams. He's been the head coach at UGA since 2001, the year that Brodie Croyle was considering Florida.

Whether or not you "transcribed" the interview, SOMEONE needs to take responsibility for the dribble that's released from that company.

Crashride
09-03-2007, 11:44 AM
bust?

Hammock Parties
09-03-2007, 11:45 AM
The simple fact that Nick isn't familiar with Mark Richt, who was the offensive coordinator at Florida State from 1990-2000 just goes to show the incompetence of your "organization".

We don't cover Florida State. Or College football.

DaneMcCloud
09-03-2007, 11:47 AM

Oh give me a freakin' BREAK!

You cover a football team that drafts players from colleges and universities all over the country.

Your "organization" sucks worth than I could have ever imagined.

Hammock Parties
09-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Oh give me a freakin' BREAK!

You cover a football team that drafts players from colleges and universities all over the country.

Your "organization" sucks worth than I could have ever imagined.

Who pissed in your cheerios anyway? You've been grumpy lately.

Skip Towne
09-03-2007, 11:58 AM
WPI = We're Profoundly Incompetent

The Bad Guy
09-03-2007, 12:17 PM

Instead of fessing up and saying, "we ****ed up," you make up yet another excuse.

It's not about you covering college football. It's about DOUBLE CHECKING simple things like spelling, accuracy, and grammar.

Skip Towne
09-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Instead of fessing up and saying, "we ****ed up," you make up yet another excuse.

It's not about you covering college football. It's about DOUBLE CHECKING simple things like spelling, accuracy, and grammar.
You expect them to do all that?

htismaqe
09-03-2007, 12:20 PM

The man coached two Hiesman trophy winners and oversaw the offensive on two national championship teams. He's been the head coach at UGA since 2001, the year that Brodie Croyle was considering Florida.

Whether or not you "transcribed" the interview, SOMEONE needs to take responsibility for the dribble that's released from that company.

Have to agree with Dane here.

Not knowing who Richt is is pretty fuggin sad.

Hammock Parties
09-03-2007, 12:20 PM

Nobody cares but retarded anti-WPI nitpickers.

Have to agree with Dane here.

Not knowing who Richt is is pretty fuggin sad.

Gimme a break. WE DON'T COVER COLLEGE FOOTBALL. His name was mentioned ONCE in the interview. Get over it.

Dumbasses.

htismaqe
09-03-2007, 12:23 PM

Gimme a break. WE DON'T COVER COLLEGE FOOTBALL. His name was mentioned ONCE in the interview. Get over it.

Dumbasses.

He's one of the most well-known coaches in Division 1-A. And you cover the CHIEFS, which drafts COLLEGE PLAYERS.

Call me a dumbass all you want, it doesn't change anything.

A football FAN should know who Richt is. The fact that your "professional" organization doesn't is just further evidence that you're not all that "professional" after all.

Skip Towne
09-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Everybody is out of step but Goatse. What an ignoramus.

Hammock Parties
09-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Our draft guru knows who Richt is. Nick doesn't. Since he doesn't cover the draft for us, that's not surprising.

I'm glad you folks enjoyed the interview despite it's massive glaring error.

The Bad Guy
09-03-2007, 12:27 PM

Dumbasses.

It's an issue of being a real journalist or a pretend one. You have been a pretend one for the last year.

The fact that you think this is no problem when you charge for your bullshit articles is hilarious.

You and the dick with ears should take some journalism classes.

The Bad Guy
09-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Our draft guru knows who Richt is. Nick doesn't. Since he doesn't cover the draft for us, that's not surprising.

I didn't enjoy it.

No one gives a flying **** about an interview conducted a month and a half ago when Croyle isn't the starter.

Maybe it would have been a good idea to send the article to the draft guru to check for accuracy.

Hammock Parties
09-03-2007, 12:29 PM
It's an issue of being a real journalist or a pretend one. You have been a pretend one for the last year.

I don't claim to be a journalist. Please don't identify me as one, thanks.

And our paying subscribers don't care about Richt's last name. Certainly we never heard one complaint until the anti-WPI Planeteers came with their pitchforks.

Hootie
09-03-2007, 12:30 PM
You guys are all pretty ****ing bitter.

The Bad Guy always talks about sports writing and blah blah blah, NFL Films etc...

Tell me, how's your career as a sports writer coming along?

Deberg_1990
09-03-2007, 12:30 PM

SO whats Nicks background anyway?? Id really like to know...

The Bad Guy
09-03-2007, 12:32 PM

And our paying subscribers don't care about Richt's last name. Certainly we never heard one complaint until the anti-WPI Planeteers came with their pitchforks.

Because your paying subscribers are ****ing morons.

Hootie
09-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Because your paying subscribers are ****ing morons.
All the power to WPI for getting these ****ing morons to pay for their shitty articles, then...

I don't see why you get so angry about these things...perhaps you are bitter because the way things worked out for yourself?

The Bad Guy
09-03-2007, 12:35 PM
You guys are all pretty ****ing bitter.

The Bad Guy always talks about sports writing and blah blah blah, NFL Films etc...

Tell me, how's your career as a sports writer coming along?

I switched careers because sports wasn't nearly as fun when it was a career - plus the pay sucked and the hours were even worse.

I'm working as a 5th grade teacher now and love it far more than anything I did at NFL Films or any other writing assignment I had.

I had the chance to interview for a NFL editor job at NBC Sports last October. I turned it down to stick with teaching.

Thanks for inquiring.

The Bad Guy
09-03-2007, 12:36 PM
All the power to WPI for getting these ****ing morons to pay for their shitty articles, then...

I don't see why you get so angry about these things...perhaps you are bitter because the way things worked out for yourself?
No chance.

I get paid substancially more, enjoy working with the kids, work less hours and have my summers off teaching.

I'm bitter about people who don't take their craft seriously. If you are going to charge people for a product, have the balls to accept your mistakes and fix them next time instead of passing the buck.

My career path has worked out perfectly for me. I was able to experience things that the average fan could not, but realized that career wasn't what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.

kcxiv
09-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks a lot Warpaint.
Warpaint=EA. lol

htismaqe
09-03-2007, 12:46 PM

I'm guessing he's a fan, just like the rest of us.

Eleazar
09-03-2007, 12:51 PM

He washed out from his job detailing cars at Pete Franklin's National Suzuki.

LOCOChief
09-03-2007, 01:26 PM
I didn't have to pay for the article, thanks go chiefs, I can't say it was a great read but then again it waz free

GoHuge
09-03-2007, 01:30 PM

And our paying subscribers don't care about Richt's last name. Certainly we never heard one complaint until the anti-WPI Planeteers came with their pitchforks.I'm not sure why you continue to post your WPI articles at a place that is generally anti-WPI. Do you remember the poll you posted regarding WPI's training camp coverage? Look how many people voted a 1. Do you really think that it sucked that bad? I don't go to WPI so I don't know, but I doubt it did. They just don't like you or WPI so when you post anything regarding WPI this is what your going to get at CP. If you don't want to be criticized, or have the same happen to WPI, then I'd leave their shit at WPI.com. The people that choose to "go there" with Chiefs coverage know where it is, so don't force it on them here. If you do, at least expect the very expected when it comes to anything WPI at The Planet.

Deberg_1990
09-03-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm guessing he's a fan, just like the rest of us.

That would be my guess as well. Which is cool, but to try and pass off the trype they spew out as legitimate journalism and to make people pay for it is a true crime.

bringbackmarty
09-03-2007, 01:34 PM
I don't know, you guys ar eoverreacting on teh mispellin.
Gocheefs duz suck teh dick tho, burn hime he hav bitch tits, and suk teh dik burn him.

Hammock Parties
09-03-2007, 01:35 PM
That would be my guess as well. Which is cool, but to try and pass off the trype they spew out as legitimate journalism and to make people pay for it is a true crime.

Nick was just at practice and called me with an update. Some interesting stuff for sure. Such a crime.

bringbackmarty
09-03-2007, 01:36 PM
sorry, don't know what got into me, need to quit watching all the public television.

Deberg_1990
09-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Nick was just at practice and called me with an update. Some interesting stuff for sure. Such a crime.

Oh im sure....more lies, speculation and fraud. Way to treat your customers.

Hammock Parties
09-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Oh im sure....more lies, speculation and fraud. Way to treat your customers.

Nothing of the sort. Just an eyewitness report. I suspect the KC Star will have it this evening.

go bo
09-03-2007, 01:50 PM
I don't know, you guys ar eoverreacting on teh mispellin.
Gocheefs duz suck teh dick tho, burn hime he hav bitch tits, and suk teh dik burn him.oh, you're going to pay for that remark...

how does $20 sound?

go bo
09-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Nothing of the sort. Just an eyewitness report. I suspect the KC Star will have it this evening.i don't quite understand why some people insist on calling your writing "journalism"...

have you ever described your writing as journalism before?

it's really very obvious that you are a columnist and a commentator, not a journalist at all...

and if whitless can write about football so can you...

i enjoy your articles and reports and i appreciate your bringing them here since i rarely visit wpi...

seriously...

this is not a joke...

The Bad Guy
09-03-2007, 02:46 PM

When you talk to Nick, ask him when Corey Dillon is signing with the Chiefs. He told me he was on a plane bound for KC in 2001 and I'm still waiting.

Skip Towne
09-03-2007, 02:53 PM
When you talk to Nick, ask him when Corey Dillon is signing with the Chiefs. He told me he was on a plane bound for KC in 2001 and I'm still waiting.
SAUNDERS TO DETROIT

Hammock Parties
09-03-2007, 03:00 PM

Nick wasn't even associated with Warpaint in 2001.

The Bad Guy
09-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Nick wasn't even associated with Warpaint in 2001.

I know he wasn't, but he was writing articles for another site.

boogblaster
Hogwash should be free ...

The Bad Guy
SAUNDERS TO DETROIT

Hilarious.