PDA

View Full Version : What the hell are Herm and Carl thinking?

RealSNR
09-03-2007, 09:10 PM
This LB makes the 3rd player we've added to the roster without even running them through training camp.

What the hell is going on? Does Herm have a certain "level" he expects young players to aspire to and if they don't meet that he'll find someone else from another team to fill that role?

There's no way this new guy is better or provides more than someone like Scanlon or Reid. Both are special teams aces and have played all positions at LB. Extremely valuable depth players. These new guys we're adding we know nothing about how they'll fit in.

Also, way to create fair competition. You work your butt off all summer and your job goes to someone who never even lined up in practice before.

Herm is losing cool points with me when he does this strategy.

FAX
09-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Herm found the lost pages from the Coaching For Dummies handbook. He's on a roll, now.

FAX

ROYC75
09-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Herm Knows, just ask Bo.

Personally, I think he Nucking Futs..........

SLAG
09-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Herm or Carl Thinking???!?!?

Say it aint so

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-03-2007, 09:15 PM
I don't know what the f*ck is going on. It makes no sense whatsoever.

If you assume that these cuts are all of the same ability level (and they really are), WTF would you not keep the people who at least know the system and have been around it rather than a goddamned f*cking n00b off the street.

Simplex3
09-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Yeah, dropping a known quantity in Reid for some unknown f**knut that nobody else wanted is just dumb. It's the kind of move I expect from Sperm and Karl.

runnercyclist
09-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Herm is losing cool points with me when he does this strategy.

Cool points? Boy, that's gotta keep him up at night.

RealSNR
09-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Cool points? Boy, that's gotta keep him up at night.That's just my little way of saying "Herm is making a lot of stupid moves"

ROYC75
09-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Since Gunther says it takes a LB minimum 3 years to learn his scheme..........

Beats the hell out of me at to what he is thinking ?

Seriously, take a chance on a rookie who compaired to a vet who lead the team in ST's tackles in 2005, 2nd highest total in team history and can play all 3 LB's position ?

Go figure ..........

Logical
09-03-2007, 09:24 PM
SNR what the hell are you doing with this thread? Are you trying to steal my gig? You are going to confuse Direckshun.

RealSNR
09-03-2007, 09:27 PM
SNR what the hell are you doing with this thread? Are you trying to steal my gig? You are going to confuse Direckshun.Good point. You should start supporting Ron Paul. Direckshun would blow a gasket.

Buehler445
Before the draft all we heard about was how old our LB corps is and how we MUST address it in next years draft. Maybe Herm is getting a headstart? Just because Scalon knows how to play all LB positions, doesn't mean he can play them well.

Personally, I don't agree with ANY of the moves made after the 53 was set, but I can see reasons for them. Hopefully these guys pan out and we get some good contributions from these free guys.

JMO

Zouk
We picked up a 3rd QB, an 8th LB, and a 6th CB. None of them are going to play offense or defense this year. If we like them, they will have a full year plus an offseason to learn and practice before they get a shot next year at training camp. If we don't like them, we cut them.

What's the big deal?

booger
09-03-2007, 09:28 PM
After looking over our roster from before the previous cuts and trying to figure out who makes it, I would call this the Kevin Sampson rule.

Basically players like Sampson who have hit their ceiling or in KS's case, just can't stay healthy.

Scanlon isn't a C2 LB. Won't fit this scheme at MLB and they would prefer someone faster at OLB. Same with Reid. Plus after this season, Sampson, Parker(still here for now) Scanlon, Sapp, Tynes(now gone of course) All of these guys are or would have been URFA's with us. Scanlon and Sampson and most likely Parker would have or will move on anyway.

Key Fox is another. URFA after this year. They keep him because he is the top backup OLB. It worked out very well last year and this year for Kershaw. He learned OLB mostly last year on the PS before being called up. I think most would say he had a good camp and personally makes me feel better about depth at MLB. They can do the same with Nate Harris. Both undrafted. Both more athletic with higher ceilings and if you give them a chance, just as productive on kick coverage.

Baldwin (glad he's black and not related to the actor baldwin dickbags) was someone all the Tampa 2 teams liked. We know from last year Kershaw can play OLB as well. Nate Harris is about the same size as a Vilma is for the jets and he and baldwin could be our backup OLB's of the future.

Deberg_1990
09-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Why do people get so worked up over practice squad guys??

The internet has made us all a bunch of panicky nutbags.

Nobody cared about these things back in 1992

RealSNR
09-03-2007, 09:33 PM
After looking over our roster from before the previous cuts and trying to figure out who makes it, I would call this the Kevin Sampson rule.

Basically players like Sampson who have hit their ceiling or in KS's case, just can't stay healthy.

Scanlon isn't a C2 LB. Won't fit this scheme at MLB and they would prefer someone faster at OLB. Same with Reid. Plus after this season, Sampson, Parker(still here for now) Scanlon, Sapp, Tynes(now gone of course) All of these guys are or would have been URFA's with us. Scanlon and Sampson and most likely Parker would have or will move on anyway.

Key Fox is another. URFA after this year. They keep him because he is the top backup OLB. It worked out very well last year and this year for Kershaw. He learned OLB mostly last year on the PS before being called up. I think most would say he had a good camp and personally makes me feel better about depth at MLB. They can do the same with Nate Harris. Both undrafted. Both more athletic with higher ceilings and if you give them a chance, just as productive on kick coverage.

Baldwin (glad he's black and not related to the actor baldwin dickbags) was someone all the Tampa 2 teams liked. We know from last year Kershaw can play OLB as well. Nate Harris is about the same size as a Vilma is for the jets and he and baldwin could be our backup OLB's of the future.Great. So one more question... where does Thigpen fit into our plans at QB? Is Herm serious that Printers or Terrell didn't play well enough to be 3rd QBs in this league? They both looked fine.

RealSNR
09-03-2007, 09:34 PM

Nobody cared about these things back in 1992These aren't practice squad guys. These n00bs MADE our roster without playing a down in practice.

Zouk
09-03-2007, 09:34 PM

This is so true. I poked around a lot of NFL team message boards this weekend and it's the same thing all over. None of the front offices know what they're doing & every board has some Sippio-style pre-season wonder that they love and can't believe was cut.

And then come next week every losing team will have horrible play calling.

booger
09-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Great. So one more question... where does Thigpen fit into our plans at QB? Is Herm serious that Printers or Terrell didn't play well enough to be 3rd QBs in this league? They both looked fine.

That's the tough part. Finding trust in what they are doing with the offense. One thing though. Other than Hannon, has anyone been picked up that we cut? They are just a phone call away. Maybe They grade out Thigpen higher than Terrell and figure Printers won't adjust to the NFL.

Really with some of these young guys either the PS or the last 4-5 guys or less on the 53, these are just extended tryouts. At QB i don't expect them to move around too much. But take CB for example. They kept Brackenridge and Patterson. Any time, Phinisee and Michael Bragg are out there along with seeing how Barksdale does it gives them more to evaluate.

Deberg_1990
09-03-2007, 09:41 PM
This is so true. I poked around a lot of NFL team message boards this weekend and it's the same thing all over. None of the front offices know what they're doing & every board has some Sippio-style pre-season wonder that they love and can't believe was cut.

The internet has created a whole sub culture of over analyzation and scrutinization.

Well, that and fantasy football.

BigRedChief
09-03-2007, 09:42 PM
These aren't practice squad guys. These n00bs MADE our roster without playing a down in practice.
Good point.

booger
09-03-2007, 09:43 PM
These aren't practice squad guys. These n00bs MADE our roster without playing a down in practice.

They would have all made their previous teams PS's. It's the only way we can look at them is to add them to our 53. Say for Baldwin for example. He spends a week on our active roster and does or doesn't dress for the Houston game. We decide we want to resign Chad Williams and drop Baldwin to the PS. We got our look and he got a weeks worth of higher pay from his active list salary comparred to a PS salary. Maybe if he goes unclaimed he decides to sign to our PS because of the opportunity. Money and Herm's rapor with players plays a key role here.

Rain Man
09-03-2007, 09:43 PM

I wasn't worried back then because we were only in the fourth year of a five year plan.

keg in kc
09-03-2007, 09:45 PM
There's 53 on the roster, but remember 8 of those won't dress on game day. If they saw something on tape they really liked, then why not take a shot. Maybe an upgrade on special teams, maybe talent, maybe athleticism, whatever...

Deberg_1990
09-03-2007, 09:48 PM
There's 53 on the roster, but remember 8 of those won't dress on game day. If they saw something on tape they really liked, then why not take a shot. Maybe an upgrade on special teams, maybe talent, maybe athleticism, whatever...

Exactly. Im not going to pretend i know more than our coaches and scouts on personnel matters.

Its not like we cut Ty law, LJ or Donnie Edwards. These are no name backups whose contributions to the team would have been minimal this year.

ChiefsCountry
09-03-2007, 09:56 PM
It looks to me these were guys we wanted to draft and got cut, why not bring them in.

RealSNR
09-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Exactly. Im not going to pretend i know more than our coaches and scouts on personnel matters.

Its not like we cut Ty law, LJ or Donnie Edwards. These are no name backups whose contributions to the team would have been minimal this year.You seem to assert that I'm one of those guys who got pissed when we cut Terrell and Sippio. I'm not. Surely you can agree that it doesn't make much sense to cut players you've worked with for an entire year now in favor of other players who just looked good to you on film. And these aren't just developmental players you're adding to the practice squad. They're ON the actual roster. If injuries happen in practice, it's THESE GUYS who will be playing that week in the game.

That doesn't make sense to me. Herm had plenty of time to scout around and find guys that he liked. He brought a batch in to training camp, did his Herm thing and "evaluated" everybody during practice and preseason games. That process is over and it's time for the season to start. Don't mess around with that developmental shit now. Now it's time to form a roster, buckle down, and try to win some REAL football games.

I hope we still aren't pulling this shit halfway through the regular season. :shake:

keg in kc
09-03-2007, 10:02 PM
And maybe their evaluation was that they didn't like the guys we brought it and it's time to evaluate other guys...

The core roster was going to be what it is. It always was, from the beginning of may. We're talking about ancillary players that will never see the field outside of special teams.

Mr. Kotter
09-03-2007, 10:04 PM
It looks to me these were guys we wanted to draft and got cut, why not bring them in.

That's my take as well.

To me, it's much ado about nothing....since neither these guys, OR the guys we cut, would have likely seen any significant time on the field.

Whatever. I'll defer to Herm's judgement, until I'm convinced otherwise. Releasing Scanlon and Reid? Meh....whatever.

JMHO :shrug:

Mr. Arrowhead
09-03-2007, 10:05 PM
reid sucks ass

BigRock
09-03-2007, 10:15 PM
If Herm has seen enough of the Scanlons and Reids of the world to know they aren't going to cut it, why not bring in some other guys who apparently caught his eye? They might not cut it either, but "might cut it" puts them ahead of guys under the "won't cut it" category.

Kylo Ren
09-03-2007, 10:19 PM
This LB makes the 3rd player we've added to the roster without even running them through training camp.

What the hell is going on? Does Herm have a certain "level" he expects young players to aspire to and if they don't meet that he'll find someone else from another team to fill that role?

There's no way this new guy is better or provides more than someone like Scanlon or Reid. Both are special teams aces and have played all positions at LB. Extremely valuable depth players. These new guys we're adding we know nothing about how they'll fit in.

Also, way to create fair competition. You work your butt off all summer and your job goes to someone who never even lined up in practice before.

Herm is losing cool points with me when he does this strategy. Herm is trading players that are as good as they are ever going to be for players who have potential. He might be releasing a player that is currently better than the player that he picks up. But, the new player, in his view, could be better, in the long run, than the player he released. Scanlon has no upside. He's as good as he's going to be. Herm is looking toward the future.

blueballs
09-03-2007, 10:19 PM
the old pussy was getting old
time for some new stuff
coaches like some strange too

Mecca
09-03-2007, 10:51 PM
I like this approach better than Vermiels of "these are our guys" and refusing to sign anyone that wasn't in camp even if the guys were awful.

I don't care if he went to camp with the team or not if he sucks he sucks.

|Zach|
09-03-2007, 10:53 PM
For as many things as we feel Herm is lacking I think his talent evaluation on the defensive side of the ball has spoken for itself.

CoMoChief
09-03-2007, 10:58 PM
It still bothers me that we get this MIN QB when we all know that we STILL wouldn't play him if Damon and Brodie got injured. More than likely I would see Carl signing a veteran FA off the streets like Testeverde or even Jake Mistake before ever playing someone that has yet to play a snap in this league.

And we did this by cutting Sippio who's caught everything thrown his way who plays a position that is arguably the shortest as far as depth. And we didnt cut Parker.

I personally do NOT know what the **** the front office people are doing, and I don't really like it, and I don't like the direction this team is going in.

Mecca
09-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Let's understand something real quick if you thought this team was really going to do a youth movement you were mistaken.

Carl Peterson as president has an interest in the stadium being full he wants to win his 7 games that's it.

boogblaster
09-03-2007, 11:15 PM
The ole mix of old and new .. these young guys are ST players only ...hell maybe one can actually run down the field make a block or tackle and not get a hanky thrown ....

bringbackmarty
09-04-2007, 01:30 AM
the old pussy was getting old
time for some new stuff
coaches like some strange too

wow, you might be right. herm is going to be taking this copying marty shit to a whole new level. we can expect the old playbook cheat sheet tucked in the way too high pants by week three.

Does anybody have a picture of thigpen or barksdale's bitch?

I bet gochiefs' sig herm gets himself a stinky finger from this ice skater dude's booty call.

Hopefully it's not a dude, otherwise goat could explode in a jealous rage.

Herm the worm. Wanting to sow his seed in another man's garden.

KC Jones
09-04-2007, 03:02 AM
If Herm has seen enough of the Scanlons and Reids of the world to know they aren't going to cut it, why not bring in some other guys who apparently caught his eye? They might not cut it either, but "might cut it" puts them ahead of guys under the "won't cut it" category.

Exactly, and it's one more thing pointing out that Herm IS rebuilding. It's not 1997 and we're not worried about having a really deep team to get to the playoffs.

thehead
09-04-2007, 05:52 AM
Thinking !! that Chiefs fan are blind sheep & will buy any product they put on the field. I am guilty also :(

nychief
09-04-2007, 06:03 AM
who gives a shit. Reid sucked - the only reason people here payed any attention to him was he went to Kansas. Scanlon? give a ****ing break.

patteeu
09-04-2007, 06:37 AM

LOL, not only that, but this place was up in arms each season when Dick Vermeil took the opposite approach. He was very reluctant to bring anyone in who hadn't been through camp with the Chiefs, even on his practice squads.

I prefer the current approach. Get the guys you think have the best upside and start developing that upside for future years. Very few of them are going to be called upon to contribute this year anyway. This is a breath of fresh air. Thanks Carl and Herm.

RustShack
09-04-2007, 08:39 AM
LOL, not only that, but this place was up in arms each season when Dick Vermeil took the opposite approach. He was very reluctant to bring anyone in who hadn't been through camp with the Chiefs, even on his practice squads.

I prefer the current approach. Get the guys you think have the best upside and start developing that upside for future years. Very few of them are going to be called upon to contribute this year anyway. This is a breath of fresh air. Thanks Carl and Herm.

I'm with you!

ChiefGator
09-04-2007, 10:14 AM
What the hell are they thinking? Why are we standing pat with the same crappy players that sucked in our defense over the last years. Why are we keeping the same projects who obviously haven't worked out to our expectations? Other teams we wheeling and dealing out there, trying to get better!

Damn it all!!

go bo
09-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Herm Knows, just ask Bo.

Personally, I think he Nucking Futs..........hey, how'd i get mixed up in this?

and it's go bowe nowadays... :Poke:

Direckshun
09-04-2007, 10:36 AM
This LB makes the 3rd player we've added to the roster without even running them through training camp. Out of 53. And two of them won't see any playing time whatsoever.

Calm down.
That's exactly that mentality.
We know plenty about them. The team's been scouting them their entire collegiate careers and all of this preseason.

Scanlon and Reid have hit their ceilings, and Scanlon's a bad fit for Cover 2 MLB.
You work your butt off to get to the level the Chiefs want you to get to. If you can't do that, you're screwed.

ROYC75
09-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Out of 53. And two of them won't see any playing time whatsoever.

Calm down.

That's exactly that mentality.

We know plenty about them. The team's been scouting them their entire collegiate careers and all of this preseason.

Scanlon and Reid have hit their ceilings, and Scanlon's a bad fit for Cover 2 MLB.

You work your butt off to get to the level the Chiefs want you to get to. If you can't do that, you're screwed.

I gotta ask where people get there info Scanlon is a bad fit for Cover 2 ?

Have hit their ceilings ? Please explain ..........

I gotta here about these ..............

htismaqe
09-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Scanlon isn't a good fit for anything.

Well, that's not completely true. We know one place that he "fits"...

Hammock Parties
09-04-2007, 12:46 PM
I gotta ask where people get there info Scanlon is a bad fit for Cover 2 ?

He's a poor man's Kawika Mitchell. Downhill LB. Not adept in coverage.

BigChiefFan
09-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Scanlon is lucky he got to keep his roster spot as long as he did. Kershaw is an upgrade over Scanlon.

ROYC75
09-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Answers, facts, not just blanket answers , just because .

What I see is , age, Good speed ( was one of our fastest until this year ) , good lateral movement, sure tackler ( great for ST's play ) and keeps plays in front of him on defense.... Tied for 2nd most ST's tackles Chiefs record in any season...... Seems like a good player to have as a backup and ST's .

How is this not good cover 2 material...... his worst hangup was small hands for catching the ball, something that could have been taught.

Again, answers is what I'm asking, what do you see that I don't ?

htismaqe
09-04-2007, 01:09 PM

You've got that switched around.

The question is:

What do you see that NOBODY ELSE, the Chiefs included, does?

ROYC75
09-04-2007, 01:25 PM
You've got that switched around.

The question is:

What do you see that NOBODY ELSE, the Chiefs included, does?

Not to argue here, but I stated what I saw in the previous post.

Cover 2, needs to be a sure tackler ....... check
Needs to keep plays in front of him ...... check
Speed, Good Lateral movement, able to pursue ....... check
Contribute elsewhere if not a starter ........ check

What else is there I'm missing ? Anyone ?

BTW, How can Bell give the Chiefs more upside that what Rich could bring to the team ? Seriously, he is not a cover 2 LB, can't play ST's and has bad shoulders ........ Gun's project that is riding the pine. Anybody know what he cost us against the cap by keeping compared to cutting him ?

Direckshun
09-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Answers, facts, not just blanket answers , just because .

What I see is , age, Good speed ( was one of our fastest until this year ) , good lateral movement, sure tackler ( great for ST's play ) and keeps plays in front of him on defense.... Tied for 2nd most ST's tackles Chiefs record in any season...... Seems like a good player to have as a backup and ST's .

How is this not good cover 2 material...... his worst hangup was small hands for catching the ball, something that could have been taught.

His coverage is awful, for all his speed he still doesn't cover a lot of ground in the middle of the field, while he can handle his area about the width of the DL he can never penetrate the OL to be a threat to the QB, never seems to make plays behind the line of scrimmage, sometimes he's so poor at diagnosing plays that an RB on a sweep gets by him before he's on the play, and he's shown zero marked improvement in the two or three years we've had him.

That's the definition of a bad Cover 2 MLB, that's why he's hit his ceiling.

B_Ambuehl
09-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Scanlon will be missed on special teams. He really has a knack for finding the ball. He is a much better special teams player than Boomer, who probably won't even play at all as a back-up fullback.