PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs still fitting the pieces together on offense

Buns
09-04-2007, 12:23 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/259222.html

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The first practice dedicated to Sunday’s season opener at Houston brought cause for celebration for Chiefs offensive coordinator Mike Solari.

The Chiefs had all 11 starters together on the practice field Monday for the first time since training camp started in late July. Finally, six days before the start of the season, the Chiefs could prepare in earnest.

“It’s a starting point,” said Solari, who welcomed back left tackle Damion McIntosh (out since early in camp because of a sprained knee) and quarterback Damon Huard (out for the last two weeks because of a sore calf muscle).

“We’ve got a lot of work to do, a lot of work, and we need to get better every day. We haven’t had enough time to get the first unit working together. We’d like to be further along at this point, but because the guys weren’t all able to be together, it’s hampered our ability to be consistent.”

The Chiefs are also mixing in running back Larry Johnson and another important component, blocking tight end Jason Dunn. Both missed all of camp, Johnson with his contract holdout and Dunn because of an ailing back.

They hoped by this point to be gearing up for the Texans — but, on offense at least, they’re still fitting the pieces together.

“We have to be smart with what we ask them to do when we get to Houston,” Solari said. “We understand that Larry won’t be able to carry the ball as many times until he gets into shape and gets into condition. Michael Bennett is ready to help.”

The Chiefs accomplished little in the preseason, scoring just two offensive touchdowns. They rarely were able to sustain a drive, another must for a Herm Edwards-coached team.

Though it wouldn’t be accurate to say the Chiefs aren’t concerned, they also aren’t panicking.

“They’re all going to make a big difference to what we do on the football field,” said guard Brian Waters, referring to Johnson, McIntosh, Dunn and Huard. “I don’t see us struggling, but we don’t know what we’re going to do. That’s the good thing about it. We’ve yet to see this football team run our offense with all of our players in there.

“I’ll be more concerned after I see how we play in a game and do all of the things that we’ve been practicing. We haven’t seen that yet. Is there cause for concern because of the way we played and how you want to start the season? Yeah. But as far as worried about what we can do? No.”

Solari likewise hasn’t had his confidence shaken.

“I saw what we had the ability to do when we were all together with the offensive line with Damion in there early in training camp,” Solari said. “This offensive line will grow and develop and not only be a very good offensive line for us this year but allow us to do a lot of good things.

“In the preseason, we were very vanilla, but our goal was to see players. It wasn’t to see our scheme. We wanted to be more efficient. We were very disappointed that we weren’t able to score more points. But it’s something that we believe is fixable and it’s been addressed.”

The Chiefs, facing some of the same issues last year, started slowly on offense. They scored just 10 points in the opening loss to Cincinnati and managed just two field goals in the following week’s overtime loss in Denver.

Solari, in his first season as the coordinator, may have contributed. The offense looked lost against the Bengals. Solari’s mixup over down and distance on a key play could have cost them a win over the Broncos in regulation.

“I’m a lot better prepared this year, and I have a better awareness of where we need to go with the offense,” Solari said. “I’ll anticipate certain situations better. I’ll call games better. I have a better feel for what this offense can do as the parts change.”

That doesn’t mean it won’t be a challenge, this time with many factors being out of his control.

“We’ll get better,” he said. “We’ll see improvement week to week as we mesh together. A lot of it is little things like the anticipation of the snap count that you get with Damon as opposed to Brodie (Croyle). There’s no excuses, but we had quite a rotation of young quarterbacks and we never did get any continuity in the preseason.

“To move the chains, we have to eliminate the zero-yard and negative-yard plays. We had too many in the preseason and so we had way too many third-and-longs. It’s all correctable. We know what we need to do to get it done. It’s just that we’re doing it right now. It’s going to be a work in progress.”

RustShack
09-04-2007, 12:30 AM
I likey likey

Chiefs Pantalones
09-04-2007, 12:50 AM
we're screwed.

bringbackmarty
09-04-2007, 01:10 AM
I like how screwed we are.

elvomito
09-04-2007, 01:20 AM
i think it will be a game reminiscent of last year at Denver, except with a win

Tribal Warfare
09-04-2007, 01:23 AM
Croyle will come in around mid-season when Huard leads the league in QB fumbles

keg in kc
09-04-2007, 01:24 AM
“We’ll get better,” he said. “We’ll see improvement week to week as we mesh together. A lot of it is little things like the anticipation of the snap count that you get with Damon as opposed to Brodie (Croyle). There’s no excuses, but we had quite a rotation of young quarterbacks and we never did get any continuity in the preseason.So the offensive problems of the preseason were Brodie Croyle's snap count?

Great way to develop a guy. Must be teaching him the "buried under the bus" technique.

Smed1065
09-04-2007, 01:35 AM
I hate to be a downer but we also staredt slow last year and B4.
The main thing that grips my butt is the OL. It was a concern last year@the last minute but we have the same story this year?

I understand their was not a great draft pick and we signed the best available LT ( maybe second rated) on FA.

I hate the same concerns back to back years.

JMO.

09-04-2007, 01:48 AM
The main thing that grips my butt is the OL. It was a concern last year@the last minute but we have the same story this year?

I understand their was not a great draft pick and we signed the best available LT ( maybe second rated) on FA.

JMO.
At least we are consistent though.

Buehler445
09-04-2007, 07:26 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/259222.html

Though it wouldn’t be accurate to say the Chiefs aren’t concerned, they also aren’t panicking.

Isn't this a double negative and then some? I'm no English guy, I'm just asking. Anyone know the real rules on this stuff?

As for the article, Solari can't get much worse than last year. I just hope he has HUGE gains in playcalling. I'm not expecting that much out of him, but I think if he can pull his head out, the Chiefs will be much better.

The Red Sea
09-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Anybody notice it appears Tony G isnt getting money from King Carl under the table anymore to say positive crap daily to the talking heads?

I cant recall the last time the media destroyed our team AND our Team destroyed our own team.

It seems like 80% of all quotes coming out of camp are we Need to get better we need to improve we need..Damn

Chiefnj2
09-04-2007, 07:45 AM
[URL]There’s no excuses, but we had quite a rotation of young quarterbacks and we never did get any continuity in the preseason.”

Solari has been to the Herm school of deflection. Say either: (a) there is no excuse, or (b) blame yourself, then say "BUT" and throw somebody else under the bus.

StcChief
09-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Solari... So correct it.

Skyy God
09-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Isn't this a double negative and then some? I'm no English guy, I'm just asking. Anyone know the real rules on this stuff?

Also like how we played Cinci in the 1st game.....

bobbything
09-04-2007, 08:40 AM
I'm not that concerned with the offense's ability to be productive. They're not going to be a top-tier unit, but I believe they can be very efficient. However, I have my serious doubts with the way in which it will be utilized.

If we play "not-to-lose" then I'll be concerned. We have to be able to take some risks. And I'm not sure I see much of that in Edwards.

KC-TBB
09-04-2007, 08:47 AM
I say we play to lose

Chief Faithful
09-04-2007, 09:17 AM

JMO.

The WR situation in KC must really be chapping your *ss.

Also, you must be greatly relieved by the improving DT play.

tiptap
09-04-2007, 09:59 AM
In having a decent offensive line you need ONE of your tackles to be consistent during THE game in order to have a successful passing attack. It doesn't have to be the same tackle each week but you have to have some idea who will be going it alone and who may need help. That is a case of having good scouting and coaching so you can say that this DE will be a problem by the scouts and the coach says early on that this tackle has to hang alone and has time to prepare for that. Of course when you have two good DE will it can be hard going.

With McIntosh and Turley we may get that. That was my hope for a better season was that our Tackle play would have better results.

tiptap
09-04-2007, 10:01 AM
This is important because it is the passing defense that was the bane for Houston last year. We need to have passing yards to win this away game.

TEX
09-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Sounds like we're gonna use the first part of the REGULAR season as preseason. So, we'll be off to a slow start yet again.

BigChiefFan
09-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Hey, the built in excuses are coming out already. Hey, another scene in Groundhog Day.

KCTitus
09-04-2007, 12:26 PM
The Chiefs just need to run the ball more...keep that clock running and get a couple of TD's from the defense and we'll be good.

BigChiefFan
09-04-2007, 12:31 PM
The Chiefs just need to run the ball more...keep that clock running and get a couple of TD's from the defense and we'll be good.
We shouldn't strive for GOOD. The Chiefs should strive for GREATNESS, but they never do and that's why they always falter. The bar is set way too low. Money is the main priority of the Hunts.

kcirnamffoh
09-04-2007, 01:38 PM

Apparently you don't care to not understand.

MahiMike
09-04-2007, 02:25 PM
“In the preseason, we were very vanilla, but our goal was to see players. It wasn’t to see our scheme. We wanted to be more efficient. We were very disappointed that we weren’t able to score more points. But it’s something that we believe is fixable and it’s been addressed.”

This reminds me of the Verizon wireless commercial. "Yes, that is a problem and we're working on it..."

bobbything
09-04-2007, 02:29 PM

It was a pretty crude was of constructing a sentence. Especially for a "writer."

He could have said it much better; ie:

While the Chiefs aren't necessarily panicking, there is a cause for some concern.

I really don't care for Adam Teicher. I've met him once and he's one of those guys that's a bit of a "know-it-all." It's really a poor quality to have.

Simply Red
09-04-2007, 02:37 PM
:shake: