PDA

View Full Version : Talk about the sky is falling

KCwolf
09-04-2007, 12:51 AM
How can we be an underdog to the TEXANS..............

Houston -3

Total...........doesn't matter: take the under

How times have changed.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-04-2007, 12:52 AM
Times have changed.

We're not even mediocre anymore...we completely suck now. We had it coming.

09-04-2007, 12:56 AM
They watched our preseason games and are smart enough to know that Herm does not have anything up his sleeve.

DaneMcCloud
09-04-2007, 01:03 AM
Times have changed.

We're not even mediocre anymore...we completely suck now. We had it coming.

Typical Chiefs fan.

I went back to KC in January of 1996 to visit my family. The Chiefs had just come off a 13-3 season and hadn't yet lost to the Colts.

All I heard while I was visiting is how the Chiefs "sucked" and how they were gonna lose to the Colts. From family members to Westport to friends to radio programs.

My, how things have changed. :shake:

Smed1065
09-04-2007, 01:05 AM
I like being the underdog. Means we will do better than expected but we do suk on the road.

09-04-2007, 01:05 AM
Typical Chiefs fan.

I went back to KC in January of 1996 to visit my family. The Chiefs had just come off a 13-3 season and hadn't yet lost to the Colts.

All I heard while I was visiting is how the Chiefs "sucked" and how they were gonna lose to the Colts. From family members to Westport to friends to radio programs.

My, how things have changed. :shake:
Well, in their defense..... They were right. :banghead:

elvomito
09-04-2007, 01:18 AM
I think we'll win, and this place will have a meltdown because of it

DaneMcCloud
09-04-2007, 01:20 AM
Well, in their defense..... They were right. :banghead:

The Chiefs SUCKED in 1995? :rolleyes:

Uh, I don't think so. They won 13 games. They may not have won in the playoffs, but they hardly "sucked".

The Jets were 3-13, Jags 4-12 and the Cards 4-12. Those teams "sucked".

I guarantee that ANY of those teams and their fans would have gladly traded placed with the Chiefs.

As would have 12 other NFL cities and their fans.

keg in kc
09-04-2007, 01:20 AM
That means the game's a push, and the home team's getting 3 points for...playing at home...

In other words, Vegas has no idea what's going to happen.

09-04-2007, 01:22 AM
The Chiefs SUCKED in 1995? :rolleyes:

Uh, I don't think so. They won 13 games. They may not have won in the playoffs, but they hardly "sucked".

The Jets were 3-13, Jags 4-12 and the Cards 4-12. Those teams "sucked".

I guarantee that ANY of those teams and their fans would have gladly traded placed with the Chiefs.

As would have 12 other NFL cities and their fans.
Let me rephrase, there were right about losing to the colts. I did not say we sucked.

Smed1065
09-04-2007, 01:36 AM
Home field advantage adds 7 points, IIRC.

SPchief
09-04-2007, 01:37 AM
Home field advantage adds 7 points, IIRC.

Homefield is 3 points, not 7.

KCwolf
09-04-2007, 01:52 AM
OK...........my point is that Houston is basically the doormat of the NFL...and yet are a 3 pt. favorite....granted @ home....but JJJJJEEEESUUUSSS......this is not a good sign for things to come. Vegas does this shit for a living.

09-04-2007, 01:53 AM
OK...........my point is that Houston is basically the doormat of the NFL...and yet are a 3 pt. favorite....granted @ home....but JJJJJEEEESUUUSSS......this is not a good sign for things to come. Vegas does this shit for a living.
I am not overly surprised by this. I cannot say with even 70% certainty that we will win this game.

KCwolf
09-04-2007, 01:57 AM
In the past 10 years if we open with Houston - How many times do we win?

KCwolf
09-04-2007, 01:59 AM
10?

KurtCobain
09-04-2007, 02:01 AM

Against the Chiefs, it should be 20. :shake:

09-04-2007, 02:04 AM
In the past 10 years if we open with Houston - How many times do we win?
4-1

They haven't been in the league 10 years yet.

SPchief
09-04-2007, 02:24 AM
Against the Chiefs, it should be 20. :shake:

You want to put some money on that?

KurtCobain
09-04-2007, 02:25 AM
4-1

They haven't been in the league 10 years yet.

I think what he means is, in the past ten years, if we opened against this particular Texans team in Houston, how many times would we started 1-0?

I think nine years out of ten.

KurtCobain
09-04-2007, 02:27 AM
You want to put some money on that?

I'm just saying we suck on the road.

However, I'm putting money, and my nice stereo, on the Chiefs winning at Houston Sunday.

09-04-2007, 02:27 AM
I think what he means is, in the past ten years, if we opened against this particular Texans team in Houston, how many times would we started 1-0?

Yeah, I knew what he meant. I just felt like being a smartass. :)

SPchief
09-04-2007, 02:28 AM
I'm just saying we suck on the road.

However, I'm putting money, and my nice stereo, on the Chiefs winning at Houston Sunday.

I was just pointing out the 20 spread that you stated.

orange
09-04-2007, 02:58 AM

TEXANS LASSO CHIEFS, 24-21
Sep 26, 2004, 10:00:00 AM

Chiefs-Texans Postgame Notes
Chiefs-Texans Postgame Quotes
Chiefs-Texans Gamebook & Stats

By Patrick Herb

For the first time since the start of the 1980 season, the Chiefs are still looking for their first win after Week Three. Kansas City (0-3) may have lost its first two games in difficult fashion, but Sunday’s 24-21 loss to the Houston Texans (1-2) is by far the toughest pill to shallow.

“We had an opportunity to win a football game here and we couldn’t take advantage of it,” head coach Dick Vermeil said after the game. “A lot of different things contributed to it, but in the final say, we just didn’t get it done. We allowed [Houston] to hang around long enough for them to make a play and win a football game.”

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/09/26/game_summary/

Smed1065
09-04-2007, 03:15 AM

I was hoping.

My bad.

Bob Dole
09-04-2007, 05:57 AM
Bob Dole doesn't think the Texans are going to be quite as bad as people seem to think.

old_geezer
09-04-2007, 06:11 AM
The Chiefs have yet to show any signs of an offense this year. I mean NONE. I don't think any team looked worse (or could have looked worse) than we did this pre-season, so I'm not a bit surprised at us being underdogs on the road. Whoever gets the big turnover in this one will probably win it IMO.

crazycoffey
09-04-2007, 06:15 AM
We will win this game, however - I'm not sure we beat the spread.....

I'm going to make a bet on the money line.
oh, and you didn't even list what the over/under was, but you said to take the under. You are right, but it's 35 or 38.5 or something like that.

Mile High Mania
09-04-2007, 06:18 AM
Bob Dole doesn't think the Texans are going to be quite as bad as people seem to think.

Agreed. I'm not sure how long it will take for them to gel, but Schaub looks good... Green back with Sherman as OC adds an interesting element. Jacoby Jones looks very promising, then you always have Andre Johnson and an improving defense.

I have no idea what to expect from them, but they're not a bad team.

NUMBER7
09-04-2007, 06:27 AM
We better win because this 1 of the 5 games I have us winning on the way to our 5 and 11 season.

Go Chiefs!

GoHuge
09-04-2007, 07:21 AM

I'm going to make a bet on the money line.
oh, and you didn't even list what the over/under was, but you said to take the under. You are right, but it's 35 or 38.5 or something like that.I think whatever the under is would be a good play. Houston's O-line has always been terrible(unless they made some changes), and they have a first year QB. Houston is going to have an insanely stout D-line with Okoye and the guy from last year (Williams I think). The only bright side is LJ in years past has gone off down in Houston. Hope he is in good enough shape to run it 25 times. I know it was just preseason, but this defense bent way too much for my liking. Hopefully that was just the vanilla, not show anything, base only look that caused that. We shall see, but the under would be my play. Should be a pretty sloppy offensive game from what I've seen. Hopefully we just ran base on offense and the O-line was playing the rope-a-dope and will come out swinging.

The Red Sea
09-04-2007, 07:28 AM
I thought all Chief fans have known for the past 15 yrs to Never ever listen to the talking heads.

In yrs that we played fairly well like the 13-3 season we barely made 30 seconds on sportscenter.
They talk about for that 30 seconds how were Not as good as our record shows.
In yrs we were 9-7 were on for 2 mniutes & they point out all our faults.

We hit the media only Slightly more than teams like Detroit or Arizona cause we Have played better than some But we havent been to the AFC champ game in too long & lets not talk about how many feel about how long since we've been in the Super Bowl.

The Chiefs will not get a fair shake in the media till we get back to the AFC champ game or the bowl.

That said going in without Even a QB for the talking heads to talk about... Trent Greens been an underrated QB..etc..
Then the only thing they have to talk about is LJ toss in a sprinkle of TGs getting old & thats it.

Talking heads cant find a thing to say.

A tad more than Arizona a Ton less than the colts.

Its our fate till the day PRINT'EM comes true.

SOooo that said IF the Chiefs when the first couple of games.
We MIGHT get that 1 minute Blip on Sportscenter how were proving suprising thus far.

Personally I feel if Huard can not turn the ball over & we hand it off to LJ we Might win this damn game.

crazycoffey
09-04-2007, 07:30 AM
I think whatever the under is would be a good play. .. I know it was just preseason, but this defense bent way too much for my liking. Hopefully that was just the vanilla, not show anything, base only look that caused that. We shall see...

Herm sure does have many of the players believing that it was base/vanilla only. That has to be a good sign even if it's a false statement (I don't believe it to be).

I was only busting your balls on the under statement. Being that it is in the thirties, under seems to be a good bet, but you just never know in this league....

Bwana
09-04-2007, 07:33 AM
I really don't know what to think about this first game either. I agree with the posters above regarding the team that gets "the big break," or turnover wins the game, because I think it will be close. May it be us!

The only way we get spanked IMHO, is if the OL looks as bad as it did in pre-season and Huard doesn't get any time to unload the ball. At that point, we could have Joe Montana in his prime back there and it wouldn't have a happy ending.

Chiefnj2
09-04-2007, 07:37 AM
How bad must the Texans be, not to be a 10+ point home favorite?

Skip Towne
09-04-2007, 07:42 AM

Huh?

crazycoffey
09-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Huh?

Nice catch, that was a retarded thing to say, I hadn't had my coffee this morning yet....

We are the underdogs, if we win, the spread doesn't apply. D'uh, I'm so screwed in the football gambling thread.

StcChief
09-04-2007, 07:53 AM
-3 on the road to open a season. Not a real surprise.

crazycoffey
09-04-2007, 08:00 AM
+3 on the road to open a season. Not a real surprise.

FYP (don't worry, I made myself look like a tool only a few moments ago.)

HemiEd
09-04-2007, 08:04 AM

ROFL Quite the gambler heh!?

HemiEd
09-04-2007, 08:10 AM
Nice catch, that was a retarded thing to say, I hadn't had my coffee this morning yet....

We are the underdogs, if we win, the spread doesn't apply. D'uh, I'm so screwed in the football gambling thread.
hey

crazycoffey
09-04-2007, 08:13 AM
hey

I know, I'm kinda a kill joy, huh.

tiptap
09-04-2007, 08:14 AM
The tendencies of the Houston and Kansas City teams are mirrors. Both teams will try to run up the middle and both defenses have been pretty good stopping runs up the middle. The difference in play is that Houston hasn't done well in defending the pass. The RB and TE have done well against Houston not that the WR have done poorly. For KC's defense they have had trouble with the 3rd WR and the TE. This year the KC defense is looking to put Surtain as the Nickel Back. I think this a bold move to try and address the big problem with 3rd down situations and the completion rate to that third WR for 1st downs. Donnie Edwards should give us better coverage of TE. So I am looking for better play. We didn't see the good defensive line play at the point of attack like last year during pre season. I am hoping that a good rotation along the d-line and better skills in the two gap method (important in defending the Denver/Atlanta/Houston zone blocking offense) is ready for this game. A. Green is a better back for this type of running game and if not discipline he could make KC pay. On KC side the running game should improve with LJ getting time in the backfield. What I suspect is that he will be in less during the first part of the game and will be seen more in the 2nd half.

The kicking game has me very worried. It is why I am anxious about this game. Houston will have good returns and their FG situation is in much better zone of comfort. This is the achilles heel in this game.

Nzoner
09-04-2007, 08:26 AM
this is not a good sign for things to come. Vegas does this shit for a living.

which is exactly why the Chargers -6 over the Bears has me scratching my head.Last year's NFC SB represenative going to Diego with a heaalcious defense to face a 14-2 team from last year who now has a new HC,OC,DC.

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing this one.

HemiEd
09-04-2007, 08:34 AM
which is exactly why the Chargers -6 over the Bears has me scratching my head.Last year's NFC SB represenative going to Diego with a heaalcious defense to face a 14-2 team from last year who now has a new HC,OC,DC.

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing this one.

I usually wait until week 5 or 6 to do anything for real. Like someone said earlier, Vegas has no ****ing idea what is going to happen. They put the lines out there to coax bets both ways, they win the juice.

I actually think SD will cover this spread. :D

FAX
09-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Have no fear. Herm is going to shock the league.

We have so many new and unknown players, it will be utterly impossible to prepare for us.

FAX

KC-TBB
09-04-2007, 08:38 AM
What is all the fuss about Underdog?

Frazod
09-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Is McIntosh going to start? Without him, we're f#cked, IMO. And probably f#cked anyway.

I'm also looking for Stonehands Parker to drop a couple of touchdown passes that Sippio would have caught. :#

Nzoner
09-04-2007, 08:55 AM
I usually wait until week 5 or 6 to do anything for real. Like someone said earlier, Vegas has no ****ing idea what is going to happen. They put the lines out there to coax bets both ways, they win the juice.

I actually think SD will cover this spread. :D

But by waiting(and I definitely see your point)you're not $100 actually. :D

HemiEd
09-04-2007, 09:19 AM
But by waiting(and I definitely see your point)you're not $100 actually. :D

Joe, I am confused, please explain? Is this some reference to the Yahoo deal? :hmmm:

Nzoner
09-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Joe, I am confused, please explain? Is this some reference to the Yahoo deal? :hmmm:

Nah,you said you like to wait 5-6 weeks in before doing anything for real and then followed it with you like Diego actually to cover so I said just not $100 actually.

D-O-E-S T-H-A-T M-A-K-E S-E-N-S-E :)

HemiEd
09-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Nah,you said you like to wait 5-6 weeks in before doing anything for real and then followed it with you like Diego actually to cover so I said just not $100 actually.

D-O-E-S T-H-A-T M-A-K-E S-E-N-S-E :)

ROFL Little dense this morning, rough weekend!

keg in kc
09-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Is McIntosh going to start? Without him, we're f#cked, IMO. And probably f#cked anyway.Here's something to brighten your day, Tim:

Jordan Black is starting.

And not for us!

Frazod
09-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Here's something to brighten your day, Tim:

And not for us!

Thanks, I needed that. :thumb:

JBucc
09-04-2007, 10:17 AM

And not for us!
So Jimmy Wilkerson will lead the NFL in sacks after week one.

Logical
09-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Only by three, I think I need to get some of that action, Houston is a lock.

beach tribe
09-04-2007, 10:22 AM

And not for us!
Yes!!! Now that, is god news.

DenverChief
09-04-2007, 10:23 AM
So Jimmy Wilkerson will lead the NFL in sacks after week one.

Eggzactly

LMAO

beach tribe
09-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Only by three, I think I need to get some of that action, Houston is a lock.
That sounds about right.

Don't forget to wear your good luck A.Green jersey.

OnTheWarpath15
09-04-2007, 10:28 AM

And not for us!

Holy Jesus!

Really?

Did Ephraim Salaam die or something? Black had been buried at #3 on the depth chart all PS.

Great news for us if it's true.....

Mr. Laz
09-04-2007, 10:32 AM
because we've played like crap ..... we've looked terrible .... we showed very little improvement during preseason.

wins and losses don't matter ...... playing like crap does.

Nzoner
09-04-2007, 10:39 AM
wins and loses don't matter ...... playing like crap does.

That exact thing was covered on NFL Network yesterday about KC,0-4 doesn't mean anything,looking bad in all 4 games means everything.

Phobia
09-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Agreed. I'm not sure how long it will take for them to gel, but Schaub looks good...
Wait a minute. Schaub is a 3rd round pick. You don't start 3rd round picks at QB. He can't look good. They really need to go with a veteran.

Mr. Laz
09-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Wait a minute. Schaub is a 3rd round pick. You don't start 3rd round picks at QB. He can't look good. They really need to go with a veteran.
ROFL

htismaqe
09-04-2007, 11:34 AM

:clap:

HemiEd
09-04-2007, 11:53 AM
:clap:

What do you think of this Thigpen (sp) guy? Just maybe they consider him as their target QBOTF, and have already decided Brodie Croyle doesn't have it?

BigChiefFan
09-04-2007, 11:55 AM
If we lose to the Texans, I'm going to be very disappointed. It's gut check time for the team-no more ****ing excuses.

htismaqe
09-04-2007, 11:59 AM
What do you think of this Thigpen (sp) guy? Just maybe they consider him as their target QBOTF, and have already decided Brodie Croyle doesn't have it?

It's the Chiefs. There's no such thing as a QBotF.

htismaqe
09-04-2007, 12:00 PM
If we lose to the Texans, I'm going to be very disappointed. It's gut check time for the team-no more ****ing excuses.

Supposedly the New Orleans preseason game was a "wake up call".

Of course, we've had about two dozen or so "wake up call" games in the past 10 or so seasons, and yet we still sleepwalk through the preseason every year.

This team is nothing BUT excuses.

HemiEd
09-04-2007, 12:01 PM

Hey, after only two decades, you can't give up so easily! :)

BigChiefFan
09-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Supposedly the New Orleans preseason game was a "wake up call".

Of course, we've had about two dozen or so "wake up call" games in the past 10 or so seasons, and yet we still sleepwalk through the preseason every year.

This team is nothing BUT excuses.Nothing ever seems to get done properly. We never have a balanced team. I mean NEVER. I'm sick of being perenial losers.

Mr. Laz
09-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Chiefs fans have been saying this constantly for 20 years.

BigChiefFan
09-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Chiefs fans have been saying this constantly for 20 years.That's why I'm seriously considering making this my final year as a season ticket holder. I'm really tired of the half-assed approach every year. The only way we will win a Super Bowl is by dumb luck. Carl has shown he doesn't have what it takes to get the team over the hump and ownership is happy as long as the money rolls in. That's not condusive to winning it all. Until ownership shows some unbridaled enthusiaSM for WINNING THE sUPER bOWL, MY ENTHUSIASM WILL WANE.(GD caps lock, I'm Too lazy to re-do it)

talastan
09-04-2007, 01:18 PM

Yes there is...Quarterback of the Free agency!! ROFL

And yet though this is funny I'm still :banghead:

MahiMike
09-04-2007, 02:32 PM
When in doubt, Vegas adds 3 pts for home field. Both teams have had some big changes and no one knows what will play out. Would hate to see Ahman Green outrush LJ. ouch.