PDA

View Full Version : Steve Fosset is missing...

chiefqueen
09-04-2007, 03:27 PM
NO JOKE!!!

http://www.kansascity.com/440/story/259975.html

PS. B/C of disability it is hard for me to paste article, so if someone wants to do it, be my guest.

Marlboro_Chief
09-04-2007, 03:28 PM
I hope and pray for the best, but if this is the end, at least he went down doing something he loved. It was well worth the risk to do that for a living.

Donger
09-04-2007, 03:29 PM
That's a shame. I hope they find him alive.

Phobia
09-04-2007, 03:42 PM
I don't actually know who the guy is....

I'd be interested in knowing what disability would prevent you from pasting an entire story but allows you to paste a URL. I don't wish to pry, but it seems like both should be equally difficult for people. Hopefully I don't come out of this question looking like an ass...... again.

penguinz
09-04-2007, 03:54 PM
I'd be interested in knowing what disability would prevent you from pasting an entire story but allows you to paste a URL. I don't wish to pry, but it seems like both should be equally difficult for people. Hopefully I don't come out of this question looking like an ass...... again.
I had the same thoughts.

chiefqueen
09-04-2007, 03:55 PM

I sent you a PM.

As for the guy, think Virgin Air.

OnTheWarpath15
09-04-2007, 04:11 PM
I sent you a PM.

As for the guy, think Virgin Air.

Virgin Air is Richard Branson.

Steve Fosset is the guy who flies the Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer (hot air balloon) around the globe.

Are Virgin Air and the VAGF connected?

Extra Point
09-04-2007, 04:16 PM
No flight plan filed w/FAA. This was his last flight.

BigRock
09-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Virgin Air is Richard Branson.

Steve Fosset is the guy who flies the Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer (hot air balloon) around the globe.

Are Virgin Air and the VAGF connected?
Yeah, Branson and Fosset just did some kind of record-breaking round-the-world airplane flight out of Salina, KS a year or two back. (Branson was the guy behind it, he didn't actually fly.)

Donger
09-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Yeah, Branson and Fosset just did some kind of record-breaking round-the-world airplane flight out of Salina, KS a year or two back. (Branson was the guy behind it, he didn't actually fly.)

The first solo, non-stop.

VonneMarie
09-04-2007, 04:23 PM
FAA: Adventurer Fossett's plane missing

By SCOTT SONNER
Associated Press Writer

Pilot Steve Fossett talks to a member of the ground crew as he prepares to take off in the GlobalFlyer at the Salina Municipal Airport in Salina, Kan. in this Feb. 28, 2005 file photo. A small plane carrying aviation adventurer Steve Fossett has been missing since Monday night, federal officials said Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2007.
Charlie Riedel, file
Pilot Steve Fossett talks to a member of the ground crew as he prepares to take off in the GlobalFlyer at the Salina Municipal Airport in Salina, Kan. in this Feb. 28, 2005 file photo. A small plane carrying aviation adventurer Steve Fossett has been missing since Monday night, federal officials said

Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2007.
GlobalFlyer pilot Steve Fossett waves to the crowd in this March 3, 2005 file photo, at the Salina Municipal Airport in Salina, Kan. A small plane carrying the aviation adventurer has been missing since Monday night, federal officials said Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2007. Viewed through a GlobalFlyer cockpit window, Steve Fossett is congratulated by members of his flight crew at the Salina Municipal Airport in this March 17, 2006 file photo in Salina, Kan. A small plane carrying aviation adventurer Steve Fossett has been missing since Monday night, federal officials said Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2007. Steve Fossett, right, is kissed by Richard Branson after landing safely after declaring an emergency following a loss of electrical power at Bournemouth, England, in this Feb 11, 2006, file photo. A small plane carrying Fossett has been missing since Monday night, federal officials said Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2007. Fossett, of Beaver Creek, Colo., took off in the single engine Bellanca at 8:45 a.m. Monday at a private airstrip on a ranch south of Smith Valley in western Nevada and didn't return as scheduled. American adventurer Steve Fossett arrives at Kent International Airport, Manston, Kent, England. in this Feb. 11, 2006, photo.

Millionaire adventurer Steve Fossett, who has cheated death time and again in his successful pursuit of aviation records, was missing Tuesday after taking off in a single-engine plane the day before to scout locations for a land-speed record, officials said.

Teams searched a broad swath of rugged terrain in western Nevada near the ranch where he took off, but searchers had little to go on because he apparently didn't file a flight plan, a Federal Aviation Administration spokesman said.

"They are working on some leads, but they don't know where he is right now," FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said.

Fossett, the first person to circle the world solo in a balloon, was seeking places for an upcoming attempt to break the land speed record in a car, said Paul Charles, a spokesman for Sir Richard Branson, the U.K. billionaire who has financed many of Fossett's adventures.

The 63-year-old took off alone at 8:45 a.m. Monday from an airstrip at hotel magnate Barron Hilton's Flying M Ranch, about 70 miles southeast of Reno.

A friend reported him missing when he didn't return, authorities said.

Thirteen aircraft were searching for Fossett in addition to ground crews, said Maj. Cynthia S. Ryan of the Civil Air Patrol. The teams were doing "grid" searches over hundreds of square miles.

"We are committing maximum resources to this effort," she said. "As far as we know now, it is still a rescue mission."

Gusty winds were hampering the search, Ryan said. "If they get too bad we could have to suspend air search operations," she said.

Said Charles: "We understand that Steve Fossett was flying solo and he was carrying four full tanks of gas on board. He was searching for dry and empty lake beds which might be suitable for his plan to break the land speed record."

Ryan described the plane as a Bellanca Citabria Super Decathalon, blue and white with orange stripes and blue sunburst designs on the wings. The two-seat tandem "tail dragger" is capable of aerobatic maneuvers, Ryan said.

FAA records show the registered owner is Flying M Hunting Club Inc. of Yerington, Nev. The agency certified it Aug. 21, 1980.

A telephone message left for a Peggy Fossett in Beaver Creek, Colo., where Steve Fossett lives, was not immediately returned.

In 2002, Fossett became the first person to fly around the world alone in a balloon. In two weeks, his balloon flew 19,428.6 miles around the Southern Hemisphere. The record came after five previous attempts - some of them spectacular and frightening failures.

John Kugler, a longtime friend who taught Fossett ballooning, described Hilton's ranch as a place where aviation enthusiasts gather for weekends of good food and flying.

Kugler said that Fossett is a careful, capable flyer and that his aircraft is a "safe plane," and he held out hope Fossett would be found alive.

"They're going to find him on a mountainside," Kugler said. "He's going to be hungry and want some good food."

Three years later, in March 2005, he became the first person to fly a plane solo around the world without refueling.

He and a co-pilot also claim to have set a world glider altitude record of 50,671 feet during a flight in August 2006 over the Andes Mountains.

Fossett, a Stanford University graduate with a master's degree from Washington University in St. Louis, went to Chicago to work in the securities business and ultimately founded his own firm, Marathon Securities.

Fossett has climbed some of the world's tallest peaks, including the Matterhorn in Switzerland and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. He also swam the English Channel in 1985, placed 47th in the Iditarod dog sled race in 1992 and participated in the 24 Hours of Le Mans car race in 1996 and broke the round-the-world sailing record by six days in 2004.

In 1995, Fossett became the first person to fly solo across the Pacific Ocean in a balloon, landing in Leader, Saskatchewan, Canada.

Fossett was inducted into the National Aviation Hall of Fame in July. He told a crowd gathered at the Dayton Convention Center in Ohio that he would continue flying.

"I'm hoping you didn't give me this award because you think my career is complete, because I'm not done," Fossett said.

Fossett said he planned to go to Argentina in November in an effort to break a glider record.

Kylo Ren
09-04-2007, 04:24 PM
NO JOKE!!!

http://www.kansascity.com/440/story/259975.html

PS. B/C of disability it is hard for me to paste article, so if someone wants to do it, be my guest. This was bound to happen sooner or later. :(

Kylo Ren
09-04-2007, 04:24 PM

I'd be interested in knowing what disability would prevent you from pasting an entire story but allows you to paste a URL. I don't wish to pry, but it seems like both should be equally difficult for people. Hopefully I don't come out of this question looking like an ass...... again. When don't you look like an ass?

OnTheWarpath15
09-04-2007, 04:32 PM

Thanks.

Didn't know Branson was the bank behind Fosset's flights.

Ebolapox
09-04-2007, 04:33 PM
When don't you look like an ass?

if there ever was a pot/kettle situation, this right here is it. good times, gunther...

Reerun_KC
09-04-2007, 04:36 PM
No flight plan filed w/FAA. This was his last flight.

Not uncommon for VFR flights. (Visual Flight Rules) You do not have to file a flight plan with the FAA to fly around the country...

Now if you are flying a IFR flight. (Instrument Flight Rules) you have to have a flight plan filed and cannot deviate from that flight plan without permission.

I have flown flights across the midwest without filing an FAA flight plan under VFR rules, but mostly get Flight Following from the closest FAA flight center...

Valiant
09-04-2007, 05:52 PM
I am hoping for aliens...

Phobia
09-04-2007, 06:29 PM
When don't you look like an ass?

I know it's hard to believe but some people actually find me to be personable and likeable.

Skip Towne
09-04-2007, 06:32 PM
I know it's hard to believe but some people actually find me to be personable and likeable.
Yes but you lie all the time {/TC]

Mr. Laz
09-04-2007, 06:34 PM

not to be an ass ... but it could be none of your business.

time it took to ask the question could of been put to better use by doing the cut and paste for her.

Phobia
09-04-2007, 06:38 PM
not to be an ass ... but it could be none of your business.

time it took to ask the question could of been put to better use by doing the cut and paste for her.

It most certainly is none of my business, which is why I danced around the question leaving plenty of outs. But she sent a very plausible explanation. She was scared that a black helicopter sent by George Bush was circling her office and she'd be abducted and whisked off to a concentration camp if she pasted the entire article. Surely you can empathize with her plight?

Mr. Laz
09-04-2007, 06:41 PM
It most certainly is none of my business, which is why I danced around the question leaving plenty of outs. But she sent a very plausible explanation. She was scared that a black helicopter sent by George Bush was circling her office and she'd be abducted and whisked off to a concentration camp if she pasted the entire article. Surely you can empathize with her plight?
wow ... that's some tired smack

might wanna tried to come up with something new

Phobia
09-04-2007, 06:43 PM
wow ... that's some tired smack

might wanna tried to come up with something new

Tired? Yes.
Spott on accurate? Absolutely.

Mr. Laz
09-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Tired? Yes.
Spott on accurate? Absolutely.
i'm not paranoid .... i was right and it pisses you off to no end.

but let's not go there again, shall we

Phobia
09-04-2007, 06:50 PM
i'm not paranoid .... i was right and it pisses you off to no end.

but let's not go there again, shall we

Dude, you couldn't piss me off if I caught you humping my mother. It would be like getting mad at Mickey Mouse.

Rain Man
09-04-2007, 09:04 PM
I have nothing against this guy and don't wish death upon anyone except my ex-boss, but at the same time, I grew tired very quickly of the press fawning over this guy and his rich-guy "adventures". Borrrrrring.

ziggysocki
10-31-2008, 07:37 AM
Saw this and remembered this thread:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/30/fossett.search/index.html

(CNN) -- Two bones and and a driver's license with Steve Fossett's name have been found near the site where Fossett's plane crashed in eastern California, authorities said Thursday.
Adventurer Steve Fossett, shown here in 2006, disappeared after a solo flight in 2007.

Adventurer Steve Fossett, shown here in 2006, disappeared after a solo flight in 2007.
Click to view previous image
1 of 2
Click to view next image

The bones appear to be human, and DNA testing will determine whether they belong to the adventurer, Madera County Sheriff John Anderson said at a news conference.

But Anderson said he believes "our coroner's investigation is over and the Fossett family will finally have closure."

"We talked to the family and advised them that we possibly, most likely, found the remains of J. Stephen Fossett," Anderson said.

Searchers found "two large bones," the driver's license, a pair of shoes and a $100 bill on Wednesday, Anderson said. The discovery site was a little more than a half-mile from where Fossett's plane wreckage was found on October 1 in a remote area of the Sierra Nevadas at an altitude of 10,000 feet. Video Watch how the search yielded 'remains' »

The site of Wednesday's discovery also is about a quarter-mile from where a hiker reported finding aviation identification cards with Fossett's name and $1,000 in cash in late September, Anderson said.

Fossett was last seen on the morning of September 3, 2007, when he took off from the Flying-M Ranch outside Minden, Nevada. He was scouting locations for an attempt to break the land speed record in a rocket-propelled car.
Don't Miss

* Bone fragment from Fossett wreckage to be tested

Animal chew marks were found on the driver's license and the shoes, Anderson said. He said the marks indicate that "animals possibly [moved] the body."

Previous DNA tests on what were believed to be bone fragments at and near the crash site showed that the fragments weren't human remains, Anderson said.

Before this week's discovery, Anderson said, officials could not be certain that Fossett was dead.

"We could not categorically state that Steve Fossett perished in that crash because the only conclusive evidence our department had were those two aviation identification cards and $1,000 in cash," the sheriff said in a written statement.

The National Transportation Safety Board has been investigating the wreck.
advertisement

Fossett made his money in the financial services industry but became renowned for his daredevil exploits.

Fossett was the first person to circle the globe solo in a balloon, in 2002, and the first to fly a plane around the world solo without refueling three years later. He also set world records in round-the-world sailing and cross-country skiing

Frazod
10-31-2008, 08:10 AM
I have nothing against this guy and don't wish death upon anyone except my ex-boss, but at the same time, I grew tired very quickly of the press fawning over this guy and his rich-guy "adventures". Borrrrrring.

Yes. Guess we won't have to worry about that again.

Bear No. 1: Boy, this meat sure tastes rich.
Bear No. 2: I believe I can fly!

Ultra Peanut
10-31-2008, 10:45 AM
So, um, what was the disability?

Phobia
10-31-2008, 10:46 AM
So, um, what was the disability?

She did not have a penis and that was blocking her brain from working to full capacity.

beach tribe
10-31-2008, 11:24 AM
She did not have a penis and that was blocking her brain from working to full capacity.

ROFL:clap:

JimNasium
10-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Yes. Guess we won't have to worry about that again.

Bear No. 1: Boy, this meat sure tastes rich.
Bear No. 2: I believe I can fly!

:LOL:

Buck
10-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Wow, It doesn't seem like its been over a year since he disappeared, crazy stuff.

Bowser
10-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Saw this and remembered this thread:

OK, what was your former alias?

BIG_DADDY
10-31-2008, 12:30 PM

LMAO