PDA

View Full Version : Huard vs. Croyle: Attitude

Direckshun
09-04-2007, 11:34 PM
I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm growing more and more disillusioned with Croyle as the days go by.

But every bit of evidence I've seen comparing the mindsets of these two men favors Huard over Croyle by a mile. On the field, Huard is a firecracker with lots of energy and passion. Croyle is as cool as Trent and seems completely unaffected by anything good or bad that happens. A good completion? Light jog to the huddle. Interception. Strip off the chin guard and walk to the sidelines.

Watching Hard Knocks, it's becoming more and more apparent who the better leader is. Croyle interacts some with his teammates, but it's Huard who's in the faces of his teammates in the backfield. He's approaching them between plays on the bench and giving feedback and criticism of what the younger guys are doing. He's the positive presense and rock-solid leader in terms of knowing exactly what everybody needs to be doing in the huddle.

As Croyle's current limitations become more and more evident, my main complaint is that he's just too lax, about everything. Inside him, I'm told, bubbles a swagger and a competitive fire. On the outside, all I see is a kid unmoved by his successes and a quiet surrender when he fails.

You want that fire, I think. You want that passion, that leadership on the sidelines, and it's Huard who has it. Not Croyle.

Hammock Parties
09-04-2007, 11:41 PM
<object width="425" height="353"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6gba1XZb5bo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6gba1XZb5bo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="353"></embed></object>

Croyle doesn't know the offense as well as Huard. He's not going to presume to get in some guy's face and tell him what's up because he's not the veteran.

luv
09-04-2007, 11:43 PM
I thought Priest said he was going to be our leader, anyway. LMAO

orange
09-04-2007, 11:49 PM
...Croyle's COLLEGE highlight video...

It's his second year out of college. When is he going to be a man?

Hammock Parties
09-04-2007, 11:50 PM
It's his second year out of college. When is he going to be a man?

Please stay on topic. This thread is about how much Brodie jumps up and down and spits.

Logical
09-04-2007, 11:51 PM
You channeling Hootie now? Lord help us.

luv
09-05-2007, 12:00 AM
I, too, noticed that he was getting in Bowe's face during Hard Knocks. Still, leadership is something that can be developed. Even if Croyle has natural leadership abilities, we might not see them until he gets more comfortable. It's hard to lead a team whenever you're not a starter. The possibility of starting brought it out in Huard.

TinyEvel
09-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Luv, your av kinda looks like me

luv
09-05-2007, 12:06 AM
Luv, your av kinda looks like me
Do you have cooties?

TinyEvel
09-05-2007, 12:07 AM
Not since 1985

luv
09-05-2007, 12:09 AM
Not since 1985
LOL

I like that one.

TinyEvel
09-05-2007, 12:11 AM
LOL

I like that one.

wait. Now I need to change that little sentence above the pic

luv
09-05-2007, 12:17 AM
wait. Now I need to change that little sentence above the pic
Should say something about being square.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-05-2007, 12:17 AM
"Bowe, I noticed you were a hair deep on that route."

"Bowe, _______ you wanna run the 4......"

Getting up in someone's face is:

"Bowe, goddammitt n00b, learn the motherf*cking playbook. Figure out what the f*ck a goddamned 7 route is. I'm sick and tired of this bullshit."

BWillie
09-05-2007, 01:20 AM
"Bowe, I noticed you were a hair deep on that route."

"Bowe, _______ you wanna run the 4......"

Getting up in someone's face is:

"Bowe, goddammitt n00b, learn the motherf*cking playbook. Figure out what the f*ck a goddamned 7 route is. I'm sick and tired of this bullshit."

I remember last year when LJ dropped his third wide open pass in the flat of the game. Huard stares right at him, and you can clearly see him mouth "What the F**K is your deal?" With his palms facing the sky. The expression was priceless. I wish I had a picture of that, Huard in the main picture with LJ in the background with his hands on his head.

Direckshun
09-05-2007, 02:03 AM
<object width="425" height="353"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6gba1XZb5bo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6gba1XZb5bo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="353"></embed></object>

Croyle doesn't know the offense as well as Huard. He's not going to presume to get in some guy's face and tell him what's up because he's not the veteran.
We have zero of those clips during his time as a Chief.

If Printers is willing to get in his teammates' faces, I don't see why Croyle can't. Printers was another guy who was intense on and off the field. I see none of that intensity with Croyle. None.

You'll say "Printers was getting in the face of 3rd stringers." But if Croyle wants to be a 1st string quarterback, he's got to conduct himself like he's the first string's quarterback, and it's clear that Huard's the one stepping up to that job, not Backfoot Brodie.

luv
09-05-2007, 02:19 AM

If Printers is willing to get in his teammates' faces, I don't see why Croyle can't. Printers was another guy who was intense on and off the field. I see none of that intensity with Croyle. None.

You'll say "Printers was getting in the face of 3rd stringers." But if Croyle wants to be a 1st string quarterback, he's got to conduct himself like he's the first string's quarterback, and it's clear that Huard's the one stepping up to that job, not Backfoot Brodie.
Wow. You're doing a 180, aren't you?

Direckshun
09-05-2007, 02:32 AM
Wow. You're doing a 180, aren't you?
Croyle's play this preseason has been an unmitigated disaster. He's shown promise on exactly one drive out of a dozen, and the other eleven he's made every mistake possible -- not just stupid mistakes (holding the ball too long) and mistakes that can be corrected (telegraphing his passes, throwing off his backfoot), but other mistakes that spell trouble for his longterm development (crisis of confidence, apparent lack of competitive fire).

The writing is on the wall, as far as I'm concerned.

luv
09-05-2007, 02:45 AM
Croyle's play this preseason has been an unmitigated disaster. He's shown promise on exactly one drive out of a dozen, and the other eleven he's made every mistake possible -- not just stupid mistakes (holding the ball too long) and mistakes that can be corrected (telegraphing his passes, throwing off his backfoot), but other mistakes that spell trouble for his longterm development (crisis of confidence, apparent lack of competitive fire).

You compared him to Trent in his manner. I take it you didn't think Trent was a good leader?

GarySpFc
09-05-2007, 06:57 AM

Leadership involves far more than having a mouth. Both Green and TG have commented on Croyle's leadership qualities. Likewise, so has Waters. You might want to read Athan's interview, and especially part 2. Brodie will do just fine.

unlurking
09-05-2007, 07:09 AM
Yeah, Grbac was REAL good at getting in people's face and complaining (remember him going off on Gonzo?).

Yeah, Trent Green was a horrible leader since he was very calm and collected as a quarterback here (I still can't believe you are calling Trent a bad leader).

You really have become as much of a strawman builder as Hootie. Your entire premise is complete bullshit.

unlurking
09-05-2007, 07:12 AM
You compared him to Trent in his manner. I take it you didn't think Trent was a good leader?
Beat me to it.

Funny how someone can key in on ONE aspect of a player, and STILL come away with the wrong conclusion when comparing that same aspect in two other players. Personally, I try to match things up with the BETTER example (Green), not the worse example (Hootard/Grbac).

donkhater
09-05-2007, 07:22 AM
I don't think anyone would call Joe Montana a bad leader, but he rarely screamed and yelled at teammates. I'm sure he did it, but not so much that it became part of his image.

Alternatively, Dan Marino constantly yelled at teammates and I always thought he was an ***hole for it. Maybe he was effective, maybe he wasn't.

A good leader sets a standard for himself to follow FIRST and lives (or plays) up to it. Once his teammates see that, then the QB can have (and demand) the same expectations from them. Until then, it's meaningless jibberish and grandstanding your teammates.

Radar Chief
09-05-2007, 07:28 AM
Had your one word explanation been “composure” instead of “attitude”, I’d agree with you.

morphius
09-05-2007, 07:38 AM
This is Croyle's first year really getting any snaps, if he starts getting in peoples faces too much he would lose the guys.

But I'm confused, I thought Chiefs fans hated, "I can't catch the ball. I throw it, but I can't catch it" quarterbacks.

bobbything
09-05-2007, 07:47 AM
Alternatively, Dan Marino constantly yelled at teammates and I always thought he was an ***hole for it. Maybe he was effective, maybe he wasn't.
Not to derail this thread, but that was something I always hated about Marino. Of his 250+ interceptions, I'd be willing to bet that 200 of those were, according to Marino, the receivers fault.

Marino throws a pick, yells at a receiver. I always hated that about him.

LOCOChief
09-05-2007, 08:01 AM

He has it, I've seen it in college and no he didn't lose it somewhere along the way. Lets not jump ship on this kid, he's a rookie that I'd bet has as much fire as anyone on the team. I actually thought just the opposite, i thought that Huard was quick to concede the competition to all his previous starters not just Green. He seemed too content being a backup to me. Croyle is going to be a good QB IMO but he's going to have to believe he will be which means he better not come anywhere near the Planet.

htismaqe
09-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Damon Huard is a LEADER!

Can't wait to see him win 7 or 8 games this year!

htismaqe
09-05-2007, 08:15 AM

Printers got in people's faces because he has nothing else to concentrate on and nothing to lose - he knew going in that he had NO SHOT at being anything other than the 3rd string QB.

Croyle is right now trying to figure out how to run the offense. He's not in any position to tell anybody else what to do because he's still trying to figure out what HE is supposed to do.

ChiTown
09-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Damon Huard is a LEADER!

Can't wait to see him win 5 or 6 games this year!

fyp

Fish
09-05-2007, 08:18 AM
I really don't see Huard as having a competitive attitude at all. And when he has gotten all worked up on the sidelines, most of the guys are looking at him like "WTF is your deal"? Huard has gotten complacent as a lifetime backup.

Throughout this entire camp, I can't think of one player whose came out and said anything along the lines of "Boy, Damon really wants the job. He's working hard to take control of the team and show his leadership abilities." At times, it almost seemed that he was very content with becoming Brodie's backup this year.

htismaqe
09-05-2007, 08:19 AM
fyp

Not gonna happen.

5 or 6 wins is "bad".

Damon Huard and Herm Edwards aren't "bad", they're "mediocre".

I guarantee we'll win at least 7 and we won't be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs until at least week 15.

htismaqe
09-05-2007, 08:23 AM
I really don't see Huard as having a competitive attitude at all. And when he has gotten all worked up on the sidelines, most of the guys are looking at him like "WTF is your deal"? Huard has gotten complacent as a lifetime backup.

Throughout this entire camp, I can't think of one player whose came out and said anything along the lines of "Boy, Damon really wants the job. He's working hard to take control of the team and show his leadership abilities." At times, it almost seemed that he was very content with becoming Brodie's backup this year.

Damon Huard is the perfect QB for this offense and this coach.

He didn't WIN anything, he just didn't lose the job.

And that's precisely the way we play offense - the "play not to lose" philosophy.

Extra Point
09-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Damon Huard is the perfect QB for this offense and this coach.

He didn't WIN anything, he just didn't lose the job.

And that's precisely the way we play offense - the "play not to lose" philosophy.

Absolutely correct!

Remember the article about Huard, when he was given the starting job, following Green's injury? His attitude was he always thought he was a starter; his opportunity came went Trent was out.

ChiTown
09-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Not gonna happen.

5 or 6 wins is "bad".

Damon Huard and Herm Edwards aren't "bad", they're "mediocre".

I guarantee we'll win at least 7 and we won't be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs until at least week 15.

:)

While I understand the point you are trying to make, I disagree with the outcome. No matter how much Carl Edwards wants to make this a mediocre team, we are still going to be bad.

No definitive winner at QB, and not a single NFL quality OT on the team. A rookie kicker who might be shell shocked before the season starts. WR's that look like they've been plucked from Goodwill.

A couple of years ago, we were offensive juggernauts and defensive retards. Now we are offensive retards and defensively mediocre. I say 6 wins - best case, which indeed makes us bad.

htismaqe
09-05-2007, 08:31 AM

While I understand the point you are trying to make, I disagree with the outcome. No matter how much Carl Edwards wants to make this a mediocre team, we are still going to be bad.

No definitive winner at QB, and not a single NFL quality OT on the team. A rookie kicker who might be shell shocked before the season starts. WR's that look like they've been plucked from Goodwill.

A couple of years ago, we were offensive juggernauts and defensive retards. Now we are offensive retards and defensively mediocre. I say 6 wins - best case, which indeed makes us bad.

Our tackles this season are better than last season.

And we went 9-7 last season.

ChiTown
09-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Our tackles this season are better than last season.

And we went 9-7 last season.

They are?

:hmmm:

Radar Chief
09-05-2007, 08:40 AM
They are?

I’ll reserve judgement on McIntosh until I see him play but Turley is definitely better this year than last.
The first episode of Hard Knocks, I watched Turley man handle both the Tank and the Turk and thought to myself, “Crap our draft picks suck!” :cuss:. Then they showed the Viqueens scrimmage and both the Tank and the Turk were rolling right over their tackle, can’t think of his name. They were even on camera talking to each other saying, “Man, their tackle sucks.” That’s when I know Turley would be all right. ;)

StcChief
09-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Printers got in people's faces because he has nothing else to concentrate on and nothing to lose - he knew going in that he had NO SHOT at being anything other than the 3rd string QB.

Croyle is right now trying to figure out how to run the offense. He's not in any position to tell anybody else what to do because he's still trying to figure out what HE is supposed to do.exactly.

That and he seems like a laid back southern dude.

Give him time to develop it. If not mid year. Next year.

bobbything
09-05-2007, 08:44 AM

I think we're nearly the exact same team from last year. I just looked at the schedule and I really think we're 8-8.

@ Houston (toss up, but I'll say): W
@ Chicago: L
vs. Minnesota: W
@ SD: L
vs. Jax: W
vs. Cinci: L
@ Oak: L
vs. GB: W
vs. Den: W (we seem to have their number at home)
@ Indy: L
vs. Oak: W
vs. SD: L
@ Den: L
vs. Ten: W
@ Detroit: L
@ NYJ: W

I see 8-8. With maybe a few games flip-flopped. Possibly winning at Oakland and losing at home to Tennessee.

ChiTown
09-05-2007, 08:50 AM
I see 8-8. With maybe a few games flip-flopped. Possibly winning at Oakland and losing at home to Tennessee.

Here's mine:

@ Houston : L
vs. Jax: W (only because I will be there at that game:) )
vs. Den: L
@ NYJ: L

5-11

InChiefsHeaven
09-05-2007, 08:55 AM
SD is the only divisional team that beats us in Arrowhead. Cuntler won't know what hit him when he gets there. We will beat the Donks in Arrowhead this year.

...we might split with Oakland, but that team is so fugged up regardless of their good defense, I think we blank them this season.

...we go 8-8, 9-7 at best.

htismaqe
09-05-2007, 08:56 AM
They are?

Turley is better than last year - he's gained several pounds of muscle and he's had one more full year of rehab on his back.

And McIntosh, while not a world beater, gave up EIGHT less sacks last year than Black.

htismaqe
09-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Here's mine:

@ Houston : L
vs. Jax: W (only because I will be there at that game:) )
vs. Den: L
@ NYJ: L

5-11

We'll beat Houston and Oakland on the road and Denver at home. 8-8.