PDA

View Full Version : The Tampa 2 Defense is growing old

Chiefnj2
09-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Trends in the game: Is the Tampa 2 getting fazed out?
By Pat Kirwan | NFL.com

Each week I will discuss a trend in the game that looks to be evolving from my discussions with coaches and players, video tape study and observation. Let's start off the 2007 season with the famous "Tampa 2" coverage that has been the rage of NFL defenses for the past few years.

As the Tony Dungy coaching tree expanded so did the number of teams using the Tampa 2 as the foundation of their defense. There are Dungy disciples in Kansas City (Herm Edwards), Detroit (Rod Marinelli), Pittsburgh (Mike Tomlin), and, of course, Chicago (Lovie Smith).

It was Super Bowl XLI, when Dungy went up against his own defensive scheme in the Bears, that caused me to investigate the Tampa 2 scheme. As a background note, the Tampa 2 tries and plays the run game with seven defenders in the box instead of the traditional 8 in the box. It also asks the middle linebacker when he reads pass to take a deep drop down the middle of the field to free-safety depth. No one in the league could achieve the depth required quite like the Bears' Brian Urlacher. A former safety in college with rare size made him the perfect candidate to run the scheme originally developed by Dungy and Monte Kiffin in Tampa Bay. But Dungy wanted to win a Super Bowl with his Colts, and that meant attacking his own defensive scheme.

Eliot J. Schechter / Getty Images
Against the Bears, the Colts used the draw play to attack the Tampa 2.

» Super Bowl XLI

The Colts were challenged to attack the No. 5 defense in the NFL and the No. 1 defense in average gain per pass play. What Dungy did exposed the Tampa 2 coverage being used by more than half the teams in the NFL. He triggered that deep pass drop with a pass key. As Urlacher dropped with great speed while reading his pass key, the Colts ran a draw play vs. six in the box and the end result was a Colts offense that gained 191 rushing yards in 42 carries and another 74 yards throwing the check-down route to the backs, which essentially is a delayed draw.

No one thought the quick-strike Colts would hold the ball for more than 38 minutes in the Super Bowl, but they did. Since then every coach has gone over that game tape looking for the ways to break down Tampa 2 coverages around the league. I asked one coach if he is worried about not having Peyton Manning to carry out the plan. "Most teams," he replied, "don't have a middle linebacker like Urlacher running the scheme."

A number of defensive coaches told me they will not be running the pure Tampa 2 as much as they have in the past. Instead, they will be blending in a lot more safety-down-in-the-box looks and man schemes to change the look of the Tampa 2. As one defensive coach said, "The quarterbacks in this league are getting too many looks at the Tampa 2 coverage and they know what to do with the ball. We have to change it up more than ever."

Besides what the Colts were able to do, there are a number of teams running an over/under principle on the Tampa 2 coverage: Drive a seam route down the middle -- usually by a tight end -- and trigger the deep drop by the Mike, or strongside middle linebacker, and then run a 12-yard dig route by a wide receiver under the tight end and in front of the Mike. The big stretch by the deep route can produce a nice hole in the middle of the field.

Finally, I remember how many assistant coaches got head coaching positions by claiming to be disciples of the Bill Walsh West Coast offense and over time it was hard to recognize all the different variations of the West Coast offense. Jon Gruden's version is different than Mike Holmgren's. Brad Childress doesn't run the same version that he ran with the Eagles.

So, the Tampa 2 scheme is getting ready for a big change in the NFL this season. One team that regularly gets described as a "Tampa 2" team hardly ever plays the coverage anymore. After I watch some of the late-season game tapes from 2006, I asked the coach what happened to his famous coverage. "Can't play it anymore," he said. "It lost its competitive edge from overuse."

Sounds to me like the Tampa 2 is being phased out around the league as a core defense.

htismaqe
09-05-2007, 08:11 AM
I actually think we're ahead of this curve, because of Gunther.

cdcox
09-05-2007, 08:16 AM
We always seem to get in on the tail end of the latest greatest NFL fad, ala West Coast offense in the '90s and now the Tampa 2. I don't classify the Vermiel/Saunders offesne as a fad, since it's been used in one form or another for close to 50 years, going back to Sid Gillman.

morphius
09-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Well, we already dumped bumping WR's off of the line, that was a pretty big change.

(AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGHHH!)

Extra Point
09-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Smash-mouth defense seems to start at the middle and the ends. Bumping the WR outside helps inside coverage, and takes some of the timing out of the pass play.

ct
09-05-2007, 08:50 AM

agree, we'll never be a true Tampa2 defense with Gunther. What remains to be seen is if Herm and Gunther can blend their ideologies into something that works.

King_Chief_Fan
09-05-2007, 09:03 AM
cover 2 is now cover who

DaKCMan AP
09-05-2007, 09:19 AM
With Derrick Brooks and Ronde Barber, they're absolutely right that the Tampa defense is aging. :)

Zouk
09-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Didn't both Super Bowl teams play it last year?

What a bizarre idea for a column.

HemiEd
09-05-2007, 10:04 AM

Seriously? That is good news.

keg in kc
09-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Everything's cyclical anyway. And it doesn't depend so much on what's successful or what isn't, it depends on the coaching network. One year you'll think something (like the 3-4) is going out of style and the next season 6 teams will start using it.

Deberg_1990
09-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Id like to see the Chiefs go 4 wide and bring back the run and shoot.

Kennison, Parker, Bowe, and Gonzelez. (since the Run and shoot has no TE)

Coogs
09-05-2007, 10:17 AM

I don't know. Our first team defense gave up exactly the type of plays being talked about here in the preseason games. Hope you are right.

pikesome
09-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Id like to see the Chiefs go 4 wide and bring back the run and shoot.

Kennison, Parker, Bowe, and Gonzelez. (since the Run and shoot has no TE)

I might be talking out my posterior but going by the description from Wikipedia:
In the purest form of the offense, the proper complement would consist of two wide receivers in the outside positions on the line, and two "slotbacks," running-back types who could catch as well as run (ex. Ricky Sanders and Richard Johnson for the USFL's Houston Gamblers, both RBs in college), manning the inside receiver positions (just outside and behind the two offensive tackles). The slotbacks would be the receivers who would go into motion -- as described above -- to reveal the defensee's scheme and matchups. Also, by having stockier converted running backs playing inside in the formation, they would be better suited to handle punishing hits. The NFL teams that used the Run & Shoot in the early 1990s did not deploy the proper type of inside receiver in the formation, instead using true wide receivers, which took away the inside threat of the offense. For example, when the Houston Oilers ran the offense, defenses would typically allow Drew Hill, Ernest Givins and Webster Slaughter to catch short passes in front of them, then unload on them as they turned upfield, sometimes causing fumbles or incomplete passes).

This makes it sound like using 3 WRs and TG or even 2 WRs and 2 TEs would/could work with the TE playing the part of the "slotbacks" (ie someone who can catch and run and take a hit). It also sounds like it would be good for limiting LJ's carries:
Run & Shoot offenses have trouble attracting "pro-style" running backs at the pro level because of the low number of carries (i.e., chances to run with the ball) they would get

Ebolapox
09-05-2007, 10:31 AM
we don't have the QB for run and shoot.

keg in kc
09-05-2007, 10:32 AM
we don't have the QB for run and shoot.We don't have the QB for pop warner.

pikesome
09-05-2007, 10:35 AM

How so? I really don't know. I would guess that someone who could make good decisions (ie who's open/in favorable coverage) and be accurate with their throws would work. It doesn't seem to require a strong arm or a high level of mobility.

htismaqe
09-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Seriously? That is good news.

I don't know if it's good news.

I DO know that the defense was saw last year was not the "Tampa" Cover 2. It was some kind of bizarro hybrid that features Gunther's particular brand of blitzing, especially from the defensive backs.

RedThat
09-05-2007, 10:39 AM
No doubt about it, the cover 2 defense is exposed.

If your facing a team that can execute very well. A team like the Patriots that can move the ball on you very methodically, the cover 2 defense won't be as effective. And if the other team has a great TE, you're done. Because the middle of the field is left wide open by dropping your MLB back.

If Im a coach playing against a cover 2, I see teams dropping there MLB, and say I have an Antonio Gates on my team, Im doing quick TE slants over the middle. And if it works, Im doing it all day. Till the opposition changes their scheme to stop me.

The cover 2 defense is giving you room underneath to make a play. The only difference is, there dropping guys back and covering whats behind them but leaving what's in front of them.

I also don't like it in a way, because I think it sucks against the run. It's clearly designed to be a pass defensive scheme.

In other words, I think it's a soft defense. Im not a big fan of it because every time I see it, it gives me the impression that teams play out of fear because they don't want to give up the big play. I rather prefer a tough in your face hard nosed style of defense where you make the opposition earn every yard they're trying to gain on you. To me, that's real defense.

*The only way I can think of a Cover 2 defense working effectively is if you have the right personnel to run the scheme.

I think you need a dominant defensive line. You need a DT that can collapse the pocket constantly, and a DE that can provide a consistent pass rush on the outside.

You need VERY disciplined football players. And also very quick, agile guys who can break off the ball very quickly. But, they also have to be excellent tacklers. Without that, you can't run the scheme effectively.

Deberg_1990
09-05-2007, 10:40 AM
I
This makes it sound like using 3 WRs and TG or even 2 WRs and 2 TEs would/could work with the TE playing the part of the "slotbacks" (ie someone who can catch and run and take a hit). It also sounds like it would be good for limiting LJ's carries:

I was only joking, but we do need to employ more of a short passing game to help limit LJ's carries. Ball control through the air ala "West Coast offense".

htismaqe
09-05-2007, 10:40 AM
I don't know. Our first team defense gave up exactly the type of plays being talked about here in the preseason games. Hope you are right.

Like I said just a moment ago, Gunther's blitzes (especially the corner/saftey blitzes) blatantly diverge from the Tampa-sytle Cover 2.

The reason you saw what you saw in preseason is because we WERE playing the Tampa 2 in it's most vanilla form.

Because our "brilliant" coaches don't practice the actual plays they're going to use in the regular season.

Coogs
09-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Because our "brilliant" coaches don't practice the actual plays they're going to use in the regular season.

I know this is a defensive thread, but not running the actual plays we are going to use on offense seems to be a logical way to settle a QB controversy too don't you think?

htismaqe
09-05-2007, 10:43 AM
No doubt about it, the cover 2 defense is exposed.

If your facing a team that can execute very well. A team like the Patriots that can move the ball on you very methodically, the cover 2 defense won't be as effective. And if the other team has a great TE, you're done. Because the middle of the field is left wide open by dropping your MLB back.

If Im a coach playing against a cover 2, I see teams dropping there MLB, and say I have an Antonio Gates on my team, Im doing quick TE slants over the middle. And if it works, Im doing it all day. Till the opposition changes their scheme to stop me.

The cover 2 defense is giving you room underneath to make a play. The only difference is, there dropping guys back and covering whats behind them but leaving what's in front of them.

I also don't like it in a way, because I think it sucks against the run. It's clearly designed to be a pass defensive scheme.

In other words, I think it's a soft defense. Im not a big fan of it because every time I see it, it gives me the impression that teams play out of fear because they don't want to give up the big play. I rather prefer a tough in your face hard nosed style of defense where you make the opposition earn every yard they're trying to gain on you. To me, that's real defense.

*The only way I can think of a Cover 2 defense working effectively is if you have the right personnel to run the scheme.

I think you need a dominant defensive line. You need a DT that can collapse the pocket constantly, and a DE that can provide a consistent pass rush on the outside.

You need VERY disciplined football players. And also very quick, agile guys who can break off the ball very quickly. But, they also have to be excellent tacklers. Without that, you can't run the scheme effectively.

ALL defenses have weaknesses, and ALL defenses require superior personnel to be "superior".

In your example, you demonstrate how you could use Antonio Gates to exploit the Cover 2. I guess I don't need to tell you how ridiculously easy - MUCH easier than the Cover 2 - it is to exploit a man-to-man defense with a TE like that...

bobbything
09-05-2007, 10:44 AM
To run the Run and Shoot, you don't need a stellar QB. Take a look at all the colleges that run it to perfection; and the subsequent success of those QB's in the NFL.

edit: What you need in the Run and Shoot is a smart QB who can make good defensive reads. Since it's based around forcing the defense to show their coverage prior to the snap, the QB needs to be able to read this properly and audible at the line if necessary.

You can make a very average (offensive) team pretty good if you commit 100% to the Run and Shoot.

Deberg_1990
09-05-2007, 10:47 AM
In your example, you demonstrate how you could use Antonio Gates to exploit the Cover 2.

Gates is a good enough athlete hes going to expose almost any D you throw at him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Any good quarterback will shred the Tampa 2.

If you have a QB with good arm strength who throws a semi-accurate ball, it's over.

The seam routes are always open, as are deep outs. You can also have a slot receiver run a hook or curl into the area vacated by the MLB and dink and dunk your way down the field.

The Tampa 2 is only popular because of the players that ran it in Tampa.

Sapp, Rice, McFarland, Brooks, Lynch, Barber....

htismaqe
09-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Gates is a good enough athlete hes going to expose almost any D you throw at him.

Any reasonably-talented pass-catching TE, like the kid in Denvery, is going to present problems for EVERY defense, man or zone. We're currently in the era of TE's.

HemiEd
09-05-2007, 12:25 PM
I don't know if it's good news.

I DO know that the defense was saw last year was not the "Tampa" Cover 2. It was some kind of bizarro hybrid that features Gunther's particular brand of blitzing, especially from the defensive backs.

Just the thought of our DC being ahead of any curve, is kind of exciting. The team has sure been trying to inject talent for a long time.

ChiefsCountry
09-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Run & Shoot would be perfect for New Orleans. Bush is the kind of player you want in the slot.

tk13
09-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Sometimes I think everyone's mind is getting more and more warped. This defense is so bad that both Super Bowl teams last year played it. Every good defense has a lot of talent. How many Super Bowl winning defenses weren't loaded? I'm not sure what defense with inferior talent got coached up to win a Super Bowl... the last two Super Bowl defenses that probably weren't loaded were coached by Peter Giunta and Greg Robinson. Maybe we should hire them to coach our defense! :)

htismaqe
09-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Every good defense has a lot of talent.

QFT

HemiEd
09-05-2007, 01:02 PM
the last two Super Bowl defenses that probably weren't loaded were coached by Peter Giunta and Greg Robinson. Maybe we should hire them to coach our defense! :)
ROFL

alanm
09-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Sometimes I think everyone's mind is getting more and more warped. This defense is so bad that both Super Bowl teams last year played it. Every good defense has a lot of talent. How many Super Bowl winning defenses weren't loaded? I'm not sure what defense with inferior talent got coached up to win a Super Bowl... the last two Super Bowl defenses that probably weren't loaded were coached by Peter Giunta and Greg Robinson. Maybe we should hire them to coach our defense! :)
We did. :banghead:

kcchiefsus
09-05-2007, 02:17 PM
I doubt it is getting phased out. Kansas City, Detroit, Buffalo, and Minnesota all switched to the cover 2 back in 2006. Now it is already getting phased out? Bullcrap.

Calcountry
09-05-2007, 03:22 PM
We did. :banghead::doh!:

Ebolapox
09-06-2007, 12:42 AM
How so? I really don't know. I would guess that someone who could make good decisions (ie who's open/in favorable coverage) and be accurate with their throws would work. It doesn't seem to require a strong arm or a high level of mobility.

back in the day, kurt warner would've THRIVED in run/shoot.

we'd have to draft one of the texas tech guys to do run and shoot, or maybe colt brennan.

Ebolapox
09-06-2007, 12:46 AM
To run the Run and Shoot, you don't need a stellar QB. Take a look at all the colleges that run it to perfection; and the subsequent success of those QB's in the NFL.

edit: What you need in the Run and Shoot is a smart QB who can make good defensive reads. Since it's based around forcing the defense to show their coverage prior to the snap, the QB needs to be able to read this properly and audible at the line if necessary.

You can make a very average (offensive) team pretty good if you commit 100% to the Run and Shoot.

oh, I know/agree. however, I just don't see a run/shoot QB on our team at this moment. casey printers would've been great if his decision making was a bit better. (then again, one of the greatest qbs of alltime, run/shoot wise, was black. and maybe I'm being stereotypical (warren moon))

I see huard and printers more as 'stereotypical' drop-back passers.

DaneMcCloud
09-06-2007, 01:40 AM
Sounds to me like the Tampa 2 is being phased out around the league as a core defense.

Sounds about right. The Chiefs implemented the "West Coast Offense" (Bill Walsh) just about the time it died.

Perfect symmetry. :rolleyes:

RedThat
09-06-2007, 01:46 AM
ALL defenses have weaknesses, and ALL defenses require superior personnel to be "superior".

In your example, you demonstrate how you could use Antonio Gates to exploit the Cover 2. I guess I don't need to tell you how ridiculously easy - MUCH easier than the Cover 2 - it is to exploit a man-to-man defense with a TE like that...

Tell me.

mcan
09-06-2007, 03:53 AM
The problems inherent in cover 2 aren't any different than the problems presented in any zone coverage. It's just that cover 2 is the most aggressive of the basic zones, so it leaves you more exposed when you get beat.

In fact, I disagree with Red Bull that the cover 2 is run by teams who are afraid of the big play. If you're afraid of the big play, you should run cover 3 or cover 4 so that your corners can cover deep. Cover 2 (traditionally) is based on the idea that your front four can get enough pressure to let your safeties take care of the deep field by themselves, and the three linebackers and two corners sit in the passing lanes to get picks.

htismaqe
09-06-2007, 06:53 AM
The problems inherent in cover 2 aren't any different than the problems presented in any zone coverage. It's just that cover 2 is the most aggressive of the basic zones, so it leaves you more exposed when you get beat.

In fact, I disagree with Red Bull that the cover 2 is run by teams who are afraid of the big play. If you're afraid of the big play, you should run cover 3 or cover 4 so that your corners can cover deep. Cover 2 (traditionally) is based on the idea that your front four can get enough pressure to let your safeties take care of the deep field by themselves, and the three linebackers and two corners sit in the passing lanes to get picks.

:clap:

tk13
09-06-2007, 09:46 PM
It sure looked useless tonight. Held what many considered the most "unstoppable" offense in the league to almost nothing. Almost caused Brees to set a record for fewest yards per completion. They didn't allow anything down the field. Every time Brees went down the field he got picked, finished 28-41, 192 yards, and some of those were in garbage time.

Deberg_1990
09-06-2007, 09:48 PM
It sure looked useless tonight. Held what many considered the most "unstoppable" offense in the league to almost nothing. Almost caused Brees to set a record for fewest yards per completion in the history of the NFL because they didn't allow anything down the field. Every time Brees went down the field he got picked.

If you can stop the run (which Indy did tonight) its an extremely tough defense to defeat.

cdcox
09-06-2007, 09:51 PM
It sure looked useless tonight. Held what many considered the most "unstoppable" offense in the league to almost nothing. Almost caused Brees to set a record for fewest yards per completion in the history of the NFL because they didn't allow anything down the field. Every time Brees went down the field he got picked.

The way the Colts ran that D reminded me of the SB Bucs. They kept all the passes short and then smashed the reciever before any YAC. They were also breaking on the ball all night. When the cover 2 works it looks really good. When it doesn't, it looks really bad.

beer bacon
09-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Tampa 2 defense just held the Saints to three points.

Edit: Ohhhhh, looks like I was late.

Extra Point
09-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Tampa 2 defense just held the Saints to three points.

Edit: Ohhhhh, looks like I was late.

Funny, hearing Madden mention it by name.

I'll be late to my own funeral.

Hammock Parties
09-06-2007, 10:41 PM
I wish people wouldn't call it the Tampa 2.

kcxiv
09-06-2007, 10:54 PM
They will always call it the Tampa 2. Its never going away.

Extra Point
09-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Why the Hell not? Look who's been/is at Tampa that has used it effectively. However:

"The roots of the Tampa 2 system actually are in the Steel Curtain days of Pittsburgh football. Tony Dungy has been quoted to say "My philosophy is really out of the 1975 Pittsburgh Steelers playbook," said Dungy during media interviews while at Super Bowl XLI. "That is why I have to laugh when I hear 'Tampa 2'. Chuck Noll and Bud Carson — that is where it came from, I changed very little.
The Tampa 2 is a variation of the Cover 2 formation in which all pass responsibilities are zone coverage (instead of Man-to-man). Zone coverage is where players are assigned an area on the field which they are to cover:"

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_2 . I think the writer did a good job on the article.

kcchiefsus
09-06-2007, 11:09 PM

Well, the Tampa 2 does happen to be different than the base cover 2. The Tampa 2 is more of a cover 3 with the MLB dropping back into coverage. I believe the Chiefs run the Tampa 2 version of the cover 2.

Dylan
09-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Teams that play the 3-4 base & switch to 4-3
Pats, San Diego, 49ers, Browns, Jets, Cowboys. There may be one or two more.

Teams that play a 4-3
Philly, Ravens (also 3-4), Raiders, Miami (also 3-4), Steelers (switch 3-4), Jaguars, Dallas (almost sure they switch to 3-4), I'm mostly sure the Texans and Giants play 4-3 base.

Some switch into a cover 2.

There's only a few teams left strictly playing cover two. Colts, TB, KC, maybe Chicago.

I'm not sure about the other teams.

OK... I didn't know TB switches it up. (post above)

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-06-2007, 11:29 PM
The Cover 2 requires you to have a better front 4 than any other defense. All of your D-linemen need to be able to stop the run and get after the QB. Versatile d-lineman, particularly d-tackles, are the hardest commodity to find in this league.

Indy's D looked really good tonight, they were swarming to the ball, but Brees threw a lot of terrible passes, (in large part due to pressure he faced from Indy's front 4) especially that pick six. He underthrew Henderson by 10 yards.

Dylan
09-06-2007, 11:34 PM
The way to beat the Colts is rattle Manning. Not so easy now... lol

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-06-2007, 11:51 PM
The way to beat the Colts is rattle Manning. Not so easy now... lol

It's not that hard if you run a 3-4 defense. Look at how he generally fairs against Baltimore and New England when he's not in the dome.