PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here done Stucco siding?

Frankie
09-05-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm having an addition built to my house. I've built a lot of it myself. I'll side it myself too. But I'm seriously thinking of doing some stucco on couple of sides. I'm pretty handy and have done a good amount of remodeling including framing, wiring, sheetrock installation and finishing. So I think I can do the stucco too if I can get my hand on the material. So here's what I'm asking:

Will it be hell for a first timer?

Will I save enough money to justify it? (Instead of hiring a stucco contractor?

Should I do DryVit instead?

Please advise.

Bwana
09-05-2007, 12:02 PM
My parents have it on their house and I helped them redo it a few years back. Not hard at all.

Phobia
09-05-2007, 12:05 PM
I've seen a lot of bad stucco DIY jobs. Ask yourself honestly, can you trowel drywall mud well?

If you struggle with drywall much, you'll really struggle with stucco.

Fish
09-05-2007, 12:07 PM
I used to put up a helluva lot of vinyl, and did a few stucco jobs here and there.

I absolutely hated it. It's a pain in the ass to work with. It's heavy, brittle, and doesn't clean well. Stucco always seemed to have that slightly dirty look after a year or so as well. It will look like crap if you don't install it correctly. Some of the older stuff sucked up moisture pretty badly too.

It is a good insulator though.. which would be the only reason I would recommend it...

Brock
09-05-2007, 12:15 PM
My parents have it on their house and I helped them redo it a few years back. Not hard at all.

That's been my experience as well, though I wouldn't even bother with it in a damp climate.

Frankie
09-05-2007, 01:41 PM
I've seen a lot of bad stucco DIY jobs. Ask yourself honestly, can you trowel drywall mud well?

If you struggle with drywall much, you'll really struggle with stucco.
I really don't have much problem with drywall. Done it in 5 or 6 projects. Obviously my first time didn't look as good as the last one. But I've gotten a hang of it.

steelyeyed57
09-05-2007, 01:47 PM
I was a gopher and mixer for a couple pro's two summers ago on a big house near Kearney, MO. They were pretty amazing, they had me do some, and I was okay, but I wouldn't have done anything of my own. Phobia's right, if you're skilled with a trowel, it's definitely do-able, but even then it's hard not to get that it everywhere. So be sure you're a good taper too.

chief husker
09-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Personally, I think sliding on stucco would hurt. IMO.

cdcox
09-05-2007, 02:05 PM
My folks got it done a couple years ago and it looks great. My dad is pretty handy, but hired it out. I think he ran into a stucco job site and asked one of the guys there if he wanted to moonlight, which saved him some $ from hiring though a contractor.

When I researched it a few months ago, it was definitely not recommended for DIY.

StcChief
09-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Neighbor has Dryvit. (color built in) He has some guys do it, whole house looks great after 5 years.

Joe Seahawk
09-05-2007, 02:19 PM
eifs is a swear word around here.. :banghead:

Valiant
09-05-2007, 02:51 PM
You should have Sammie Parker put some of that Stucco on his hands...

Frankie
09-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Home Depot did not carry Stucco material. I assume Lowes doesn't either. Where do I find the needed material?

redsurfer11
09-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Home Depot did not carry Stucco material. I assume Lowes doesn't either. Where do I find the needed material?

Light masonry cement.HD and Lowes both carry it. You probobly talked to newbies.

Phobia
09-05-2007, 04:04 PM
You don't have to use premixed. It's essentially portland, sand, lime and water. You can find this stuff at the big box stores or go to a masonry specialty store.

I think Lowes is probably more apt to carry it the pre-mixed than the Depot though. Definitely check there.

Phobia
09-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Have you considered a stucco finished hardy siding? You can achieve the look and durability of stucco without the trouble.

Brock
09-05-2007, 04:11 PM
There is "just add water" bags of stucco mix available, but it surprises me Lowe's doesn't carry it.

redbrian
09-05-2007, 04:18 PM
1)You need to get your materials from a commercial distributor (not a big box store)

2)Study up on the manufacturers recommended practice and follow it to the T, do not take short cuts.

The problem with Stucco is that it is done wrong, more often than not, resulting in failure of the system, which leads to rot and mold build up, which leads to structural damage and a sick building (unhealthy to live in).

If you can follow the manufactures procedure you probably won’t have any problems.

The benefit of having a licensed commercial company do the job is that they will warranty their work against any problems (you do have to make sure that they are a reputable company that has been doing stucco for a long time).

Frankie
09-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Have you considered a stucco finished hardy siding? You can achieve the look and durability of stucco without the trouble.
Didn't know about those. I'll check into them. Though I think they'll probably be way more costly.