PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with HERM EDWARDS - 9/5

Donger
09-05-2007, 03:24 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/09/05/qa_with_herm_edwards__95/

HERM EDWARDS: “Today I thought our practice went pretty well. Our guys were focused pretty much on what we need to do. We had some energy, which is good.”

Q: How did McIntosh do today in practice?

EDWARDS: “He practiced. It’s a day by day deal. If I had to list him right now I’d list him as questionable. But he practiced and we’ll see where he’s at come Sunday.”

Q: Did you guys take a look at Byron Leftwich or have an interest in him at all?

EDWARDS: “We’re just going to go down the road we’re going down right now. I just think it’s best for this organization to stay pat where we’re at. He’s a veteran quarterback but when you get into that you just send a lot of different messages to people and we don’t need to do that. We need to be focused as a team. Damon Huard is our starting quarterback. We have two other young quarterbacks. That’s the road we’re headed right now.”

Q: When you drafted Dwayne Bowe as a number one last year did that create a sense of urgency in your other wide receivers?

EDWARDS: “Anytime you can create competition…. That was one that opened a lot of eyes. We hadn’t drafted a receiver number one since Carlos Carson. It was good for them and we feel pretty good with Bowe. We know what Eddie [Kennison] can bring to the table, Sammie [Parker]. Webb is a guy that we like. So, those four guys all of a sudden are in the rotation. That helps you.”

Q: But did it catch some of the veteran guys’ attention?

EDWARDS: “Oh yeah, anytime you’re a veteran football player and you draft the number one pick at your position it raises eyes. It’s no different at any position. At that position we’ve got some talent and now we’ve got to find a way to get them the ball and simplify some things for some of them so they can play.”

Q: What is Bowe’s role going to be?

EDWARDS: “His role’s going to be he’s in the rotation. He’s going to play a lot along with [Jeff] Webb. All four of those guys are going to play. Now, we’ll do different things and as we start playing you’ll see it all come to fruition. We’ve got to block ‘em when we throw them the ball and when we throw it they’ve got to catch it too. He’s involved in the offense. He and Webb will be involved in the offense, no doubt about it. They need to be. No different than the two defensive players we drafted. They’re involved in our defense. They’re in our rotation. I think you’ve got to do that with this football team at this point. When you’ve got some talent and you draft guys you’ve got to let them play.”

Q: When will Bowe be ready for more than a place in the rotation?

EDWARDS: “We’ll see. As the thing goes on it’s about production, who’s producing. When you start playing games it becomes a part of your legacy. It’s hooked on to your back. If guys are productive and playing well they get to play more.”

Q: What do you expect from Jimmy Wilkerson?

EDWARDS: “Just to be Jimmy Wilkerson. He doesn’t need to be anybody else. That’s good enough. I always tell players don’t try to be somebody you’re not because when you do that you end up not playing very well. That’s what all these guys have to realize. You just need to be the player you are. They don’t have to try to be an all-pro player or all-this. Just be who you are and that’s good enough. If you play within yourself you’ll play well. When you don’t play within yourself you end up making a lot of errors. In real games you can’t afford errors because games are usually tight. They’re very close and you don’t want to make an error because you’re trying to do something you can’t do.

“Everyone knows their talent level. I always tell players play to your skill level. Don’t try to do anything more than that because you get all out of whack.”

Q: You elected captains today. [Jon] McGraw is one of them.

EDWARDS: “The team elected captains and that’s a big deal when your team elects you as captain. He’s our special teams captain and it shows what type of player he is. He knows his role. When he came here he was going to be a back-up safety and a special teams’ player. He’s taken that by the horns.”

Q: The seasonal captains is a bigger deal right? It’s more than just for a game.

EDWARDS: “We’ve always done that and the league has made a big deal out of it with the patch the players can wear if they choose to do so. All teams are not going to wear that patch. The three guys that were elected from us: Brian [Waters], Donnie [Edwards] and Jon [McGraw] say they want to and they can. It’s quite an honor.

“I’ve always done it this way where the team voted for the players. The offense votes for the offense, the defense for the defense and the special teams for special teams. It’s better that way. It’s not a popularity contest or a guy that has 20 years in the league or who’s your best friend. It’s about choosing the right guy. They chose these players and they’re well deserved to represent this organization, the National Football League and this team.”

Q: Is it odd for an offensive lineman to be captain?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, but I’ve been on teams where you see that. It’s the guy that they feel represents them the best and puts his ego aside. I always say captains are not just the captain of that one group. You’re really a spokesman for the whole team. That’s good. Those guys interact with everybody on the team. It’s a heck of a position.”

Q: You were kind of searching for leaders last year. What does it say for Donnie Edwards who comes here and in a few months he’s named captain?

EDWARDS: “That didn’t surprise me. I had penciled the guy in and we had a straw poll going upstairs and I said these were going to be guys right here. No question. As you look at your football team and you watch guys interact, these are the guys you’re going to vote for. I always go back to when I was a football player, these are the guys who you’re going to vote for.”

Q: Why does the league want to get involved in this captain thing?

EDWARDS: “They think it’s important and when you think about it, it’s a great honor to be the captain of your football team, or any team. Most of these guys have never been captains, especially a lineman who is hardly ever voted captain. That’s why I have honorary [captains]. I always try to send every starter out there as an honorary captain over the course of the season. Most guys have never been out there for a coin toss.”

Q: Did your Eagles teams have captains and were you one?

EDWARDS: “I was a captain once. I talked my way into it.”

Q: You are still going to have honorary game captains too then?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, I try to get all the starters on offense, defense and special teams.”

Q: You had Jon McGraw in New York. Did you seek him out or did the organization do it or did he come to you?

EDWARDS: “The wives started talking again. My wife knew his wife. It’s kind of ironic and this is a true story and the kind of kid Jon McGraw is and his family is. My wife was pregnant with our first child and his wife came over to the hospital and stayed with my wife for about 20 hours. But the story’s better: we traded Jon McGraw to Detroit. He was going to Detroit and his wife is staying with my wife at the hospital. That’s the kind of people they are. That’s what you’re getting with Jon McGraw and his wife.

“When it all transpired and he was going to be a free agent and Detroit was trying to get him back, the wives spoke and I was going to Indianapolis to the [scouting] Combine and he was packing his car to go back to Detroit. My wife said, ‘you’ve got to call him.’ I said, OK, and I called Jon and talked to him and asked him what he was doing.. I said, ‘you’re not going back’ and now he’s here.”

Q: He’s a guy you really root for since he was a walk-on at K-State?

EDWARDS: “He’s a great kid and good football player. His first couple of years he got nicked a lot. He stayed injury-free last year. He’s been injury-free so far with us. He’s a team guy. He’s got his priorities right. He’s about football. Some of the guys didn’t even know who he was when they voted for him.”

Q: Is there any more to winning the first game on the road in a season, particularly in the opening game?

EDWARDS: “You get one on the road, that’s big, really big. It can set the stage for you and gives you a lot of momentum, especially if you’re on the road and you’re the underdog and you win. That’s even better. This is a big game for us, no doubt about it, but it’s not the only game. I just think that you don’t put too much into them. I’ve seen a lot of coaches and if they talk the whole off-season about that one game they’re about to play and they don’t win….you’ve used up all your bullets and you’ve got 15 games left. You used up all your bullets on the first game. If you lose your second, third or fourth the first one doesn’t mean anything any more.”

Q: Will these first two games tell you what your team is made of because they’re both on the road?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, and one team is vastly improved and they’re excited and the other team is pretty good. They were in the Super Bowl last year. Any time you can win on the road it’s big.”

bobbything
09-05-2007, 03:29 PM
That was a waste of my time. I would have rather been eating my own ass.

Crashride
09-05-2007, 03:29 PM
I dont care what people on this board say about the season im just ready for some ****ing football!!

KCTitus
09-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Wasnt the last #1 WR drafted Sylvester Morris?

donkhater
09-05-2007, 03:34 PM
EDWARDS: “Anytime you can create competition…. That was one that opened a lot of eyes. We hadn’t drafted a receiver number one since Carlos Carson. It was good for them and we feel pretty good with Bowe. We know what Eddie [Kennison] can bring to the table, Sammie [Parker]. Webb is a guy that we like. So, those four guys all of a sudden are in the rotation. That helps you.”

Sylvester Morris anyone?

“Everyone knows their talent level. I always tell players play to your skill level. Don’t try to do anything more than that because you get all out of whack.”

Inspirational that Herm is. :rolleyes:

Q: Is there any more to winning the first game on the road in a season, particularly in the opening game?

EDWARDS: “You get one on the road, that’s big, really big. It can set the stage for you and gives you a lot of momentum, especially if you’re on the road and you’re the underdog and you win. That’s even better. This is a big game for us, no doubt about it, but it’s not the only game. I just think that you don’t put too much into them. I’ve seen a lot of coaches and if they talk the whole off-season about that one game they’re about to play and they don’t win….you’ve used up all your bullets and you’ve got 15 games left. You used up all your bullets on the first game. If you lose your second, third or fourth the first one doesn’t mean anything any more.”

Q: Will these first two games tell you what your team is made of because they’re both on the road?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, and one team is vastly improved and they’re excited and the other team is pretty good. They were in the Super Bowl last year. Any time you can win on the road it’s big.”
If you wouldn't coach scared on the road it would be a little easier.

siberian khatru
09-05-2007, 03:35 PM
EDWARDS: “We’re just going to go down the road we’re going down right now."

http://www.salem-news.com/stimg/august032007/bridge_photo_3.jpg

BigChiefFan
09-05-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm ready, too. Herm tends to talk out both sides of his mouth, but I think he can rally the troops. Let's hope we kick the Texans' asses and get off to a good start.

the Talking Can
09-05-2007, 03:38 PM
"When you’ve got some talent and you draft guys you’ve got to let them play.”

well, Croyle ain't playing so he must not have....good job coach....

Crashride
09-05-2007, 03:39 PM
"When you’ve got some talent and you draft guys you’ve got to let them play.”

well, Croyle ain't playing so he must not have....good job coach....

Maybe its the whole talent thing....

pikesome
09-05-2007, 03:41 PM

ROFL ROFL ROFL
Hopefully you're wrong...

the Talking Can
09-05-2007, 03:41 PM

that was my point, that's what Herm just said...

HemiEd
09-05-2007, 03:42 PM

Yep

DaneMcCloud
09-05-2007, 03:42 PM

Who dat?

Reerun_KC
09-05-2007, 03:43 PM

Then why draft him?

HemiEd
09-05-2007, 03:44 PM
My wife said, ‘you’ve got to call him.’ :)

InChiefsHeaven
09-05-2007, 03:47 PM
DINGDINGDING....

Jeeeez, you know everyone in that room had to know that too...it's not like it was ancient history or something...

Reerun_KC
09-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Everytime Herm opens his mouth, Chiefs fans lose 20 IQ points...

If he keeps this up, half of us wont be able to wipe our own asses before the end of the season...

I wish he would just shut up and keep his man pleaser shut!

Crashride
09-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Then why draft him?

Not every pick works out in the end. It was his job to lose and he didnt deliver.

Reerun_KC
09-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Not every pick works out in the end. It was his job to lose and he didnt deliver.
Deliver what?

The guy hasnt played a meaningful down this season...

Sucks that they give up on the guy before he even gets a chance...

Remember Huard and the previous preseasons... They looked worse than Croyles one preseason... And now Huard is the second coming of Jesus, because he put up a 98% passer rating, lead the league in QB fumbles, pissed down his pants in 3 games, while all winning the hearts and souls of Chiefs fans...

Come on... Croyle will get his chance this year... No Hope Huard will not take this team anywhere...

arrowheadnation
09-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Well...at least he didn't flat out say "NO" to the Leftwich question. Like I've been saying for weeks, I hope I'm wrong, but we're looking at setting some team records for QB futility this year.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Have I mentioned that I hate Herm Edwards and can't wait until we get a real coach, and GM, in KC?

boogblaster
09-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Herm will rally the troops and we will kick that texass ass ......now the following week ???? ...

Crashride
09-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Deliver what?

The guy hasnt played a meaningful down this season...

Sucks that they give up on the guy before he even gets a chance...

Remember Huard and the previous preseasons... They looked worse than Croyles one preseason... And now Huard is the second coming of Jesus, because he put up a 98% passer rating, lead the league in QB fumbles, pissed down his pants in 3 games, while all winning the hearts and souls of Chiefs fans...

Come on... Croyle will get his chance this year... No Hope Huard will not take this team anywhere...

Deliver what? How about the ball to our recievers hands. He had one maybe two notable drives during the entire preseason. I like his heart but hes trying to hard to throw the ball into windows only the best qbs can, watch the pass to bigfoot for an example. Huard isnt the answer either, but hes gonna get us more wins and maybe we can back in again. Dont even try to come at me with the whole carl set us up for another average season statements either. Who knows like you said he could still start this season if Huard doesnt deliver.

Reerun_KC
09-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Deliver what? How about the ball to our recievers hands. He had one maybe two notable drives during the entire preseason. I like his heart but hes trying to hard to throw the ball into windows only the best qbs can, watch the pass to bigfoot for an example. Huard isnt the answer either, but hes gonna get us more wins and maybe we can back in again. Dont even try to come at me with the whole carl set us up for another average season statements either. Who knows like you said he could still start this season if Huard doesnt deliver.

ROFL

Awesome...

Damn your right. Praise be to Huard...

Crashride
09-05-2007, 04:28 PM
ROFL

Awesome...

At least he trys... Huard struggles with mobility and completing simple swing passess...

But it is all good, if the Chiefs are going anywhere. Huard cant and wont take them there....

Huard took them somewhere last season, can he do it again who knows, but what everyone knows is with any job football or not you go with the person with the most experience. The swing passes werent an issue your confusing huard with green throwing to LJ. Huards swing passes were effective watch Lj in the 4th against the cardinals last year.

Reerun_KC
09-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Huard took them somewhere last season, can he do it again who knows, but what everyone knows is with any job football or not you go with the person with the most experience. The swing passes werent an issue your confusing huard with green throwing to LJ. Huards swing passes were effective watch Lj in the 4th against the cardinals last year.

Dude it is point less to argue about a backup QB that is a never was or will be....

Coach
09-05-2007, 04:32 PM

Let me ask you one question. Of all the divisions, is the NFC West one weak-assed division?

Reerun_KC
09-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Let me ask you one question. Of all the divisions, is the NFC West one weak-assed division?
It was last year... Very weak!

Coach
09-05-2007, 04:34 PM
It was last year... Very weak!

All right, and I'd like to see if Mr. Crashride either agree or disagree with that assessment....

KCTitus
09-05-2007, 04:34 PM

depends on what 'weak-assed' means...wasnt the Cards the team that bidge slapped KC to the tune of 14 points in the first 12 seconds of the game?

Crashride
09-05-2007, 04:36 PM
depends on what 'weak-assed' means...wasnt the Cards the team that bidge slapped KC to the tune of 14 points in the first 12 seconds of the game?

Exactly, it was a last second win they make it sound like we were dominating.

Baby Lee
09-05-2007, 04:37 PM
They were, who we thought they were. . . Never gets old.

Reerun_KC
09-05-2007, 04:38 PM
They were, who we thought they were. . . Never gets old.

So when will we crown'em?

Coach
09-05-2007, 04:38 PM

Valid point, however the Cards lost the game, naturally.

My point being is, Damon went 4-0 against the medicore NFC West, and 1-3 against decent teams.

And the bad news for Damon, we do not play any NFC West teams.

Reerun_KC
09-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Valid point, however the Cards lost the game, naturally.

My point being is, Damon went 4-0 against the medicore NFC West, and 1-3 against decent teams.

And the bad news for Damon, we do not play any NFC West teams.

uh oh, that is not good for Downfield Big Game Manager Huard...

KCTitus
09-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Exactly, it was a last second win they make it sound like we were dominating.

to be fair, tho...we should be thankful KC played the NFCW, they were good for 2 of KC's 3 road wins last year. OMG is that pathetic...

HemiEd
09-05-2007, 04:42 PM

That should be a lesson learned, the Cardinals scored too quickly. Heck, they repeated that mistake the following week against the Bears. Herm is a Genious!

Reerun_KC
09-05-2007, 04:42 PM
to be fair, tho...we should be thankful KC played the NFCW, they were good for 2 of KC's 3 road wins last year. OMG is that pathetic...

man we sucked....

Crashride
09-05-2007, 04:43 PM

Im extremely thankful :)

Coach
09-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Im extremely thankful :)

Well, we won't be thankful this year, since we don't play any "gimmie" games.

KCTitus
09-05-2007, 04:45 PM
That should be a lesson learned, the Cardinals scored too quickly.

We shouldnt joke...I seem to remember repeating said phrase in 2001, 2002 and 2003...leaving 28 seconds on the clock only to watch KC's opponent to drive 98 yards for the winning TD sucked.

KCTitus
09-05-2007, 04:46 PM

Well, KC DOES get to play Oakland...

Crashride
09-05-2007, 04:47 PM

and the texans

KCTitus
09-05-2007, 04:48 PM
and the texans

on the road...that's no gimme.

Coach
09-05-2007, 04:49 PM

Yes, I'm aware of that. However, for whatever reason, the Chiefs really struggle against the Raiders, which is quite a bit annoying.

And I wouldn't say the Texans are a "gimmie" since they are a better football team than they were last year.

KCTitus
09-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Yes, I'm aware of that. However, for whatever reason, the Chiefs really struggle against the Raiders, which is quite a bit annoying.

Division foe...AFCW games are close...but KC's been pulling out the Oak games as of late.

Coach
09-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Division foe...AFCW games are close...but KC's been pulling out the Oak games as of late.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, as well the rivarly. I just really hope they can keep it going, but I do have my doubts....

FAX
09-05-2007, 04:55 PM

ROFL ROFL ROFL

FAX

KCTitus
09-05-2007, 04:55 PM
if not...it's going to be a long year

HemiEd
09-05-2007, 04:58 PM
We shouldnt joke...I seem to remember repeating said phrase in 2001, 2002 and 2003...leaving 28 seconds on the clock only to watch KC's opponent to drive 98 yards for the winning TD sucked.

Not to worry now, we have the #11 defense, thanks entirely to Herm. He has nothing to do with the fall of the offense though.

Crashride
09-05-2007, 05:03 PM

And I wouldn't say the Texans are a "gimmie" since they are a better football team than they were last year.

Says who...when their record gets better you can say that. Every year is a toss up with football thats why people love it.

Coach
09-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Says who...when their record gets better you can say that. Every year is a toss up with football thats why people love it.

As KCTitus said, it's a road game. It's not a gimmie. They are better considering the improvements they made, especially on defense and picking up, while unproven, an improvement on the QB position.

And I'm not too comfortable seeing our LT, who haven't played a down thus far, going up aganist Mario Williams.

KCTitus
09-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Not to worry now, we have the #11 defense, thanks entirely to Herm. He has nothing to do with the fall of the offense though.

Ok...so (and Im just spitballing here) if KC were to get the initial kickoff, take the ball down to the opponent 30 yd line stall, and kick 3pts all the while taking 7 minutes off the clock...will the #11 ranked D hold the other team scoreless for the final 53 minutes of the ballgame?

Coach
09-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Ok...so (and Im just spitballing here) if KC were to get the initial kickoff, take the ball down to the opponent 30 yd line stall, and kick 3pts all the while taking 7 minutes off the clock...will the #11 ranked D hold the other team scoreless for the final 53 minutes of the ballgame?

Possible, but unlikely.

KCTitus
09-05-2007, 05:08 PM
And I'm not too comfortable seeing our LT, who haven't played a down thus far, going up aganist Mario Williams.

This is step 1...I get the feeling that Huard will be running for his life all day...assuming KC actually runs a passing play

DaneMcCloud
09-05-2007, 05:12 PM
This is step 1...I get the feeling that Huard will be running for his life all day...assuming KC actually runs a passing play

That may be assuming too much. :mad:

HemiEd
09-05-2007, 05:15 PM

We may need another field goal. I think we need to get up to #10 for just one field goal to stand up.

KCTitus
09-05-2007, 05:18 PM
We may need another field goal. I think we need to get up to #10 for just one field goal to stand up.

LOL...you're probably right

HemiEd
09-05-2007, 05:20 PM

His interview comments made me even less comfortable. Why do memories of Dan Williams keep creeping into my head?

Saccopoo
09-05-2007, 06:17 PM

And Detroit. That's as "gimmie" as you can get in this league.

Rasputin
09-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Carlos Carson was a fifth round draft pick out of Louisiana State in 1980. Not even a first round draft pick. That goes way back, how did he come up with Carlos Carson?

DeezNutz
09-05-2007, 07:16 PM

Mitch H. was on 810 and said the int. on the pass to Wilson was actually Wilson's fault; he ran the wrong route. Mitch claimed that Croyle won a lot of respect with his teammates for not publically calling out Bigfoot.

milkman
09-05-2007, 08:45 PM
And Detroit. That's as "gimmie" as you can get in this league.

Are you ****ing kidding?

Detroit is going to put alot of ponts on the board this year, and we won't be able to stop them.

And we sure as hell can't outscore them.

That's not how you win in this league, according to Herman ****ing Edwards.

TEX
09-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Carlos Carson was a fifth round draft pick out of Louisiana State in 1980. Not even a first round draft pick. That goes way back, how did he come up with Carlos Carson?

Maybe he got him mixed up with Sylvester Morris? "He doesn't know yet but, he'll learn, he'll learn." :rolleyes:

shaneo69
09-06-2007, 08:47 AM

I didn't listen to the interview; I just read it on KCChiefs.com, but I'm guessing that whoever typed it up mis-interpreted what Herm said.

I'm thinking that Herm said/meant that we haven't drafted a #1 WR since Carlos Carson.

After Carson, our #1 WR's have been Stephone Paige, then Willie Davis/J.J. Birden, then Andre Rison, then Derrick Alexander, then Kennison.

Barnett, Penn, and/or Dawson may have led the team in catches some of those years, but I'd hardly consider them #1 WR's.